Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    Your timing is perfect daughter. My comments earlier gave me a huge plot bunny and I wrote this little snippet. Only beta'd by me so forgive me if it's not perfect.

What books do you think they would download if they all had iPads? Just think of the possibilities from the free ones alone. It boggles. A whole series of plot bunnies could come from this. What apps would they have? Screensavers? Photos?

Spoiler:
    John Sheppard was just planning to check out for the day with the gate technician and head to his quarters when a totally unexpected sound coming from Elizabeth Weir's office stopped him in his tracks. Laughter. Not just the usual polite chuckle she sometimes gave in reply to his jokes, but a hearty belly laugh. This needed further investigation.

John raised both eyebrows at the Sergeant, who shrugged in reply.

“Elizabeth?” John paused at the door, reluctant to intrude.

The usually unflappable Dr. Weir set her iPad flat on the desk and looked up, her face wreathed in a huge grin. “Oh, hi John.”

John advanced slowly and tried to see what was on her pad, not able to imagine what could be so fascinating.

“So,” he asked, “somebody's mission report must be more interesting than usual. I hope it's not one of mine.” He winced and twisted his head to peer closer at the small screen.

“Pride and Prejudice, “ she replied, tipping the screen toward him. “I had forgotten what a simply delightful read this book is.”

“Ah,” John said, “I didn't know that particular book was a comedy.”

“Oh, it's not really, but it's just so very amusing how Jane Austen satirized society and relationships.”

John winced a little as if to express total disbelief that a book on those topics could ever interest him.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes and started to gather up her things.

“I gather Lorne's team checked out okay,” she said, switching back into leader mode.

“According to Carson,” John replied, “they were all fine. I just came from the infirmary.”

“Well good, I was just waiting to hear before turning in.” Elizabeth picked up her iPad and came around her desk.

“You know,” Elizabeth said, as they nodded to Chuck and walked side by side down the corridor, “there is a character in Pride and Prejudice that sort of reminds me of you.”

“Really, who would that be?”

“Mr. Darcy. Like you, he's a bit aloof and doesn't suffer fools very well. Sometimes he's quite grumpy actually.”

“You think I'm aloof. Wait. And grumpy?” John's eyebrows shot up.

“You've been known to be.” Elizabeth smirked at him. “Mr. Darcy doesn't feel the need to observe all the little rituals of polite society and sometimes doesn't make the very best impression.”

“Sounds like my kinda guy.”

“And there's also a character named Elizabeth.”

“Really? What's she like?”

“Oh, she's very smart and a very good judge of character.”

“Sounds familiar. So I gather she hooks up with this Darcy guy.”

“Nope, she can't stand him.”

“Really?”

“Yep. And at first he can't stand her but after he realizes what a marvelous catch she is and all around terrific person, he changes his mind.”

“Ah, and then they hook up.”

“There's no hooking up, John. This is the 19th Century.”

John looked disappointed. “Sounds boring.”

“Boring it most surely is not.”

“Well, so what does Darcy do? Cry himself to sleep. Oh, I know, he asks her father for her hand in marriage.”

Elizabeth stopped walking and glared at him. “Do I make fun of your reading material?”

John thought for a moment. “You teased me about my Sudoku puzzles last week.”

“You were hiding them inside your laptop during a meeting.” Elizabeth started walking again, and John continued beside her.

“But they do get together, right?”

“I'll let you borrow my iPad so you can read it for yourself. You could benefit from a bit of culture.”

John winced again, but nodded in agreement. “We can trade,” he said. “I loaded mine up with the whole Zane Grey collection while we were on Earth. Nothing like a good western.”

“Great...we'll trade.”

They had reached Elizabeth's door without either realizing that in actuality he had just walked her home, and when it hit them both simultaneously, a bit of awkwardness ensued.

“I'll, uh, see you tomorrow,” John stammered a bit and shoved his hands in his pockets.

“See, now even Mr. Darcy would know exactly the right thing to say after walking a lady home,” Elizabeth teased.

“If you think I'm going to bow and air kiss your hand, you're nuts.”

“See what I mean,” she teased as the door swished open. “Grumpy.”

“I am not grumpy.” John replied, but stood grinning at the closed door before heading to the nearest transporter.

“I wonder if Heightmeyer is still up,” he thought. “She seems like the type to have read that stupid book. Maybe she will tell me what happens.”

Love the Ipad fic. Just a thought if you do a sequal. Colonel Potter from MASH loved Zane Grey to. You could have Elizabeth make a few references to Potter just to play with John.
    Funny, now I have a desire to check out the National Road/Zane Grey Museum near here.
    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
      Maybe.....
      Pretty please with whip cream, chocolate sauce and a cherry on top.

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
        Pretty please with whip cream, chocolate sauce and a cherry on top.
        Whose the one person who always seems to cause Sparky moments?
        BALCONIES
        The Breeding Ground of Ships.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
          Whose the one person who always seems to cause Sparky moments?
          Just remembered who you are. It's Koyla isn't it? That's what I get for posting while sleepy.

Comment

Just remembered who you are. It's Koyla isn't it? That's what I get for posting while sleepy.
            Yup you win a cookie
            BALCONIES
            The Breeding Ground of Ships.
            sigpic

Comment

Ouch, JT, kidney stones HURT! *hugs* I hope you're feeling better soon!

Whoa, there's lots of wicked ideas flying around! Shipper, I am loving the thoughts of the NCIS-style elevator gag! That would be fun to put in the series. As for the iPad issue,
              Spoiler:
              for Atlantis Rising, we came up with the idea of Atlantis getting them early as part of a super seekrit beta test for Apple. Hee!

On the subject of John's accommodations at McMurdo, I would imagine it would be pretty small. And chilly.

Love the Ipad fic. Just a thought if you do a sequal. Colonel Potter from MASH loved Zane Grey to. You could have Elizabeth make a few references to Potter just to play with John.
              Funny, now I have a desire to check out the National Road/Zane Grey Museum near here.
              I like it!
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

*yawns* Anyway, it's time for this little kitty to head off to bed... See you tomorrow, Sparkies!
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                  Hi all. All this talk of iPads makes me really want one. I was using my android phone in the ER last night (damn kidney stone!) to read the thread. But I would never attempt to post using the phone. That would be way too frustrating.
                  Oooh, sorry to hear that. A high school friend of mine just had one and we got all the excruciating details on FB. She had to have the lithotripsy thing done. Ick. But she's okay now. This comes under "you know you're getting old when". LOL

Oh, and I finally got a twitter account so I could follow SGA Rising, and the actors and stuff. SR - sorry I followed you for a minute there - it did it when I signed up. But I removed it. I'm not stalking you, I promise!
                  I didn't notice but you are welcome to follow me. You'll find a bunch of us on there being snarky and sarcastic. If you don't mind the occasional political retweet, you'll be right at home. Don't forget to follow Joe and David. David in particular tweets a lot.

I'm currently in love with his song "Hidden Away". It's a great Sparky song too.
                  I love that whole CD actually. "Hidden Away" is a great Sparky song and so is "Higher Window".

Spoiler:

I love Zane Grey too. I had a bunch of the old books that I read in high school and may just reread some of them as they are all free on iBooks. I have a feeling I may find a John Sheppard in a few of them. Maybe even an Elizabeth.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Oooh, sorry to hear that. A high school friend of mine just had one and we got all the excruciating details on FB. She had to have the lithotripsy thing done. Ick. But she's okay now. This comes under "you know you're getting old when". LOL

I didn't notice but you are welcome to follow me. You'll find a bunch of us on there being snarky and sarcastic. If you don't mind the occasional political retweet, you'll be right at home. Don't forget to follow Joe and David. David in particular tweets a lot.

I love that whole CD actually. "Hidden Away" is a great Sparky song and so is "Higher Window".

Spoiler:

I love Zane Grey too. I had a bunch of the old books that I read in high school and may just reread some of them as they are all free on iBooks. I have a feeling I may find a John Sheppard in a few of them. Maybe even an Elizabeth.
                    Thanks for the Josh Groban song info...on that video I posted last night I saw he's coming to north ATL in June and I MUST GO.

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                    GAH! Well, I was watching an episode of "Chuck" and two of the main characters, when they first met in med school, are making the most of a storage closet. I almosted started ROFLing!

Oh really? What reasons? Do tell.

Uh, yeah. What they said.

Oh. We'll make it happen. Details, details. Hmm.

Yeah, I just watched the snippet that SR posted teh link to, and I got the same feeling. Especially when he pulled the razor and the bottle out of the "For Emergency Only" box. I mean, c'mon! Couldn't be more obvious.

However, it does make me wonder: what kind of living quarters did John have when he was assigned to McMurdo???

SQUEE!!! SGARising FTW!!! Nice little treat, thanks, Eri!!!

Hey, when you gotta defend yourself ... hahaha ...

Um-hmm. Remember in NCIS how Gibbs and Co. are always smacking teh emergency stop button to have some meaningful or private discussion in the elevator? Well, I'm pretty sure the Ancients installed that nifty little feature in their lifts, too!

Gotta love old school.

*continues in next post*
                    Oh, main that it's Zachary Levi and Zachary Levi. And the hair was awesome even for an animated character. But mostly Zachary Levi. Nephew I'm afraid wouldn't get that.

And you're welcome.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                    Hi all. All this talk of iPads makes me really want one. I was using my android phone in the ER last night (damn kidney stone!) to read the thread. But I would never attempt to post using the phone. That would be way too frustrating.

Oh, and I finally got a twitter account so I could follow SGA Rising, and the actors and stuff. SR - sorry I followed you for a minute there - it did it when I signed up. But I removed it. I'm not stalking you, I promise!

Yum!!

I'm currently in love with his song "Hidden Away". It's a great Sparky song too.
                    Spoiler:

I hope it's not going to take too long!

Hi there! Good luck with the job. I hope you feel better soon.

Squeeeeeeeeee!! That was so great. I could totally imagine that happening.

My favorite Austen book is Persuasion. Gotta reread that one soon.

I go in circles as to which Austen is my favorite. It has passed between P&P, Persuasion, Emma and Mansfield Park at least 4 times a piece. Northanger Abbey even won a top slot at one point. Austen could tell such a good story--but there is so much more to her writing than just the plots. The genius of Northanger Abbey's mock of Gothic romance books is simply amazing when you step back and analyze in a literary context. And the social microcosm of Mansfield Park. I so bow to that woman.

It also helps that ever new film adaptation introduces really hot actors as versions of the characters.

Your timing is perfect daughter. My comments earlier gave me a huge plot bunny and I wrote this little snippet. Only beta'd by me so forgive me if it's not perfect.

What books do you think they would download if they all had iPads? Just think of the possibilities from the free ones alone. It boggles. A whole series of plot bunnies could come from this. What apps would they have? Screensavers? Photos?

Spoiler:
                    John Sheppard was just planning to check out for the day with the gate technician and head to his quarters when a totally unexpected sound coming from Elizabeth Weir's office stopped him in his tracks. Laughter. Not just the usual polite chuckle she sometimes gave in reply to his jokes, but a hearty belly laugh. This needed further investigation.

John raised both eyebrows at the Sergeant, who shrugged in reply.

“Elizabeth?” John paused at the door, reluctant to intrude.

The usually unflappable Dr. Weir set her iPad flat on the desk and looked up, her face wreathed in a huge grin. “Oh, hi John.”

John advanced slowly and tried to see what was on her pad, not able to imagine what could be so fascinating.

“So,” he asked, “somebody's mission report must be more interesting than usual. I hope it's not one of mine.” He winced and twisted his head to peer closer at the small screen.

“Pride and Prejudice, “ she replied, tipping the screen toward him. “I had forgotten what a simply delightful read this book is.”

“Ah,” John said, “I didn't know that particular book was a comedy.”

“Oh, it's not really, but it's just so very amusing how Jane Austen satirized society and relationships.”

John winced a little as if to express total disbelief that a book on those topics could ever interest him.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes and started to gather up her things.

“I gather Lorne's team checked out okay,” she said, switching back into leader mode.

“According to Carson,” John replied, “they were all fine. I just came from the infirmary.”

“Well good, I was just waiting to hear before turning in.” Elizabeth picked up her iPad and came around her desk.

“You know,” Elizabeth said, as they nodded to Chuck and walked side by side down the corridor, “there is a character in Pride and Prejudice that sort of reminds me of you.”

“Really, who would that be?”

“Mr. Darcy. Like you, he's a bit aloof and doesn't suffer fools very well. Sometimes he's quite grumpy actually.”

“You think I'm aloof. Wait. And grumpy?” John's eyebrows shot up.

“You've been known to be.” Elizabeth smirked at him. “Mr. Darcy doesn't feel the need to observe all the little rituals of polite society and sometimes doesn't make the very best impression.”

“Sounds like my kinda guy.”

“And there's also a character named Elizabeth.”

“Really? What's she like?”

“Oh, she's very smart and a very good judge of character.”

“Sounds familiar. So I gather she hooks up with this Darcy guy.”

“Nope, she can't stand him.”

“Really?”

“Yep. And at first he can't stand her but after he realizes what a marvelous catch she is and all around terrific person, he changes his mind.”

“Ah, and then they hook up.”

“There's no hooking up, John. This is the 19th Century.”

John looked disappointed. “Sounds boring.”

“Boring it most surely is not.”

“Well, so what does Darcy do? Cry himself to sleep. Oh, I know, he asks her father for her hand in marriage.”

Elizabeth stopped walking and glared at him. “Do I make fun of your reading material?”

John thought for a moment. “You teased me about my Sudoku puzzles last week.”

“You were hiding them inside your laptop during a meeting.” Elizabeth started walking again, and John continued beside her.

“But they do get together, right?”

“I'll let you borrow my iPad so you can read it for yourself. You could benefit from a bit of culture.”

John winced again, but nodded in agreement. “We can trade,” he said. “I loaded mine up with the whole Zane Grey collection while we were on Earth. Nothing like a good western.”

“Great...we'll trade.”

They had reached Elizabeth's door without either realizing that in actuality he had just walked her home, and when it hit them both simultaneously, a bit of awkwardness ensued.

“I'll, uh, see you tomorrow,” John stammered a bit and shoved his hands in his pockets.

“See, now even Mr. Darcy would know exactly the right thing to say after walking a lady home,” Elizabeth teased.

“If you think I'm going to bow and air kiss your hand, you're nuts.”

“See what I mean,” she teased as the door swished open. “Grumpy.”

“I am not grumpy.” John replied, but stood grinning at the closed door before heading to the nearest transporter.

“I wonder if Heightmeyer is still up,” he thought. “She seems like the type to have read that stupid book. Maybe she will tell me what happens.”

I LOVE THAT! *claps* Bravo! You know, considering John's selection of War & Peace, I bet that boy is a touch more literate than appearances would make out. Definitely a movie guy, but I bet he's got some other Russian authors, maybe some Art of War type stuff on his iPad. I could see him reading stuff like Hemingway, some modern and contemporary literature, maybe existentialism.

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                    Hello Sparkilicious world!

I'm still here. Not active but I'm here. Real life is very intense for the moment with my new job.
                    I hope everybody is fine (not like me. I'm sick grrrr).
                    Maybe someone can post a fic for me; please.
                    Hello! *hugs* I hope you feel better. Good luck with the RL stuff!
                    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                      Thanks for the Josh Groban song info...on that video I posted last night I saw he's coming to north ATL in June and I MUST GO.
                      Yeah, he's coming here to the Verizon Center but the decent seats go for upwards of $200. I'll just listen to my CD's. LOL

I go in circles as to which Austen is my favorite. It has passed between P&P, Persuasion, Emma and Mansfield Park at least 4 times a piece. Northanger Abbey even won a top slot at one point. Austen could tell such a good story--but there is so much more to her writing than just the plots. The genius of Northanger Abbey's mock of Gothic romance books is simply amazing when you step back and analyze in a literary context. And the social microcosm of Mansfield Park. I so bow to that woman.

It also helps that ever new film adaptation introduces really hot actors as versions of the characters.
                      The various Austen books are some of the few I have enjoyed the movie adaptations. They do lend themselves to modernization. I have Emma on my iBooks to read also.

I LOVE THAT! *claps* Bravo! You know, considering John's selection of War & Peace, I bet that boy is a touch more literate than appearances would make out. Definitely a movie guy, but I bet he's got some other Russian authors, maybe some Art of War type stuff on his iPad. I could see him reading stuff like Hemingway, some modern and contemporary literature, maybe existentialism.

Hello! *hugs* I hope you feel better. Good luck with the RL stuff!
                      I think they put the War and Peace stuff in before they decided John wasn't Mensa material after all. Personally, I doubt he'd be reading something like that. It's boring as hell. Yes, I said it. I was one of those people in Lit class who was never asked what I really thought about a work. LOL

John and existentialism. No, just no. Maybe Metamorphosis until he decided that what's his face should have just shot himself and gotten it over with. But no, the bug factor would have turned him off. Though it would have been funny for Elizabeth to be reading it and see his reaction. LOL
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, he's coming here to the Verizon Center but the decent seats go for upwards of $200. I'll just listen to my CD's. LOL

The various Austen books are some of the few I have enjoyed the movie adaptations. They do lend themselves to modernization. I have Emma on my iBooks to read also.

I think they put the War and Peace stuff in before they decided John wasn't Mensa material after all. Personally, I doubt he'd be reading something like that. It's boring as hell. Yes, I said it. I was one of those people in Lit class who was never asked what I really thought about a work. LOL

John and existentialism. No, just no. Maybe Metamorphosis until he decided that what's his face should have just shot himself and gotten it over with. But no, the bug factor would have turned him off. Though it would have been funny for Elizabeth to be reading it and see his reaction. LOL
                        I read W&P over Christmas and honestly I enjoyed it, though I could see where not everyone would. It's slow going in the War parts and I had to reread the beginning a few times to get everyone's characters down, but I liked the evolution of the characters within the context of the war.

I don't think existential writing in the sense of the philosophers and the theorists...I certain don't see him reading Nietzsche for fun! But in terms of the contemporary writings influenced by it, perhaps. I try and ignore the parts of the story that remove the Mensa from his profile--it's in the first season and is therefore canon, Darmnit! So I consider him heady, just not openly so. He's a closet smarty pants. But I could see him pondering Fight Club, etc. That whole 'flipping the coin to decide where to go thing' fits well with the existentials. And the angst--they'd love to study him for that. *LOL*
                        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

I have always thought that TPTW's move to diminish John's intelligence was Grade A Stupid. He IS an intelligent man; he'd have to be in order to ascend in the ranks in the military. I HATE the cliche of the dumb-grunt soldier and it's clear that John is not stupid. Is he an existentialist-philosopher? I don't know, but he's certainly said and done things in his time on Atlantis that are thought-provoking. And we all know he's not good at talking to people, so it stands to reason that he internalizes much of his thought process.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                            I read W&P over Christmas and honestly I enjoyed it, though I could see where not everyone would. It's slow going in the War parts and I had to reread the beginning a few times to get everyone's characters down, but I liked the evolution of the characters within the context of the war.

I don't think existential writing in the sense of the philosophers and the theorists...I certain don't see him reading Nietzsche for fun! But in terms of the contemporary writings influenced by it, perhaps. I try and ignore the parts of the story that remove the Mensa from his profile--it's in the first season and is therefore canon, Darmnit! So I consider him heady, just not openly so. He's a closet smarty pants. But I could see him pondering Fight Club, etc. That whole 'flipping the coin to decide where to go thing' fits well with the existentials. And the angst--they'd love to study him for that. *LOL*
                            That's a good assessment of John. Sometimes I think the last 2 seasons were an AU and they forgot to tell us. The way they wrote John is all over the place. They like the "then I would be the man and who would I rage against" angle. (Though that sounds more like it came from JF.) Yet they tried to make him into some sort of super soldier which didn't fit the cocky flyboy persona. All I know is there are some deep waters around our boy and he really doesn't want people to figure him out.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                            Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

I have always thought that TPTW's move to diminish John's intelligence was Grade A Stupid. He IS an intelligent man; he'd have to be in order to ascend in the ranks in the military. I HATE the cliche of the dumb-grunt soldier and it's clear that John is not stupid. Is he an existentialist-philosopher? I don't know, but he's certainly said and done things in his time on Atlantis that are thought-provoking. And we all know he's not good at talking to people, so it stands to reason that he internalizes much of his thought process.
                            Oh, don't get me started on the dumb military guy characterization. I am liable to go off and rattle the windows. It's up there with the dumb football player. You go out there and try to remember all those plays. The soldier, especially in a war zone, has to remember a ton of stuff. And all while being shot at.

I also don't totally buy into the angle that John isn't good at talking to people. Take S1 for example, how many times did he go out to new planets and negotiate. I think in The Storm, he handled that snarky guy very well. Also Cowen, the Hoffans and a ton of others. Maybe it's just when the focus is on him and it's an emotional issue that he has a problem. Food for discussion.
                            sigpic

Comment

All I know is there are some deep waters around our boy and he really doesn't want people to figure him out.

Maybe it's just when the focus is on him and it's an emotional issue that he has a problem. Food for discussion.
                              I think those two bits are the key. He's quite friendly and personable, except when it comes to his personal life. (I should have clarified that to begin with; my bad.) I wonder how much of it has to do with the breakdown in his family... Probably quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                                I think those two bits are the key. He's quite friendly and personable, except when it comes to his personal life. (I should have clarified that to begin with; my bad.) I wonder how much of it has to do with the breakdown in his family... Probably quite a bit.
                                Most likely. Considering his abandonment issues, he's afraid to take a chance on rejection. *hugs him*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X