Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary Kitty
    replied
    Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Leave a comment:

• Scary Kitty
    replied
    Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Made a list today on what to pack. Had to add at least 3 items while I was packing -- forgot to add them to the list. Managed to not forget anything important.

No traffic jams on the way... well, there was one but we managed to circumvent it ...and made it to our very cosy loft in the middle of no and where. It's sooooo quiet here.

It was a sunny day but tomorrow's gonna rain all day and there will also be thunderstorms so I foresee a day of boardgaming in my future.
    Yay! Glad you made it without incident (and remembered all your stuff)! Have a fun time!

Leave a comment:

• Falcon Horus
    replied
    Made a list today on what to pack. Had to add at least 3 items while I was packing -- forgot to add them to the list. Managed to not forget anything important.

No traffic jams on the way... well, there was one but we managed to circumvent it ...and made it to our very cosy loft in the middle of no and where. It's sooooo quiet here.

It was a sunny day but tomorrow's gonna rain all day and there will also be thunderstorms so I foresee a day of boardgaming in my future.

Leave a comment:

• Scary Kitty
    replied
    Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

Yes, FH, get packing on your vacay and have fun!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    Unfortunately, you are right.

One problem was easy for them to fix. The other... not so much. It's still not working. One step forward, one step back. It's my own fault for jinxing myself.
    D'oh!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    Good grief. The arrogance of youth. Mr. SR is used to it. A few years before he retired the World Bank had a brilliant idea to do yet another reorg and have everybody reapply for their old job. The person Mr. SR had to interview with was not only much younger but had only been there a short while. She asked him a bunch of questions about the job and the software and the systems, etc. which he politely answered. Later his boss told him that when she reported to him on the interview, he took great pleasure in telling her that Mr. SR not only understood the system but HE HAD DESIGNED IT. I don't have that kind of patience.
    Good grief and the arrogance of youth, indeed! For all that the young are computer literate, they're shockingly illiterate in other ways.

Leave a comment:

• Southern Red
    replied

Oh I know not everyone my sister's age are technophobic. I have several friends their age who are very tech savvy. But sis and her friends were definitely not. Then I became their "expert" as they asked me if they could do this and do that. I felt like I should be charging them for the dinner.

As for rebooting... while I've been having all my systems problems at work, I must have had 10 different tech people helping me and all of them ask "did you try rebooting". No, I thought if I just stared at it really hard it would get better on its own.

Mr. SR showed great patience to not just tell the kid off. I hate it when people assume you don't know what you're talking about like that. When I was in college, I was buying a computer for my house (this was the early 90s... buying a computer was a big deal back then). Sales people never wanted to help me, probably assuming I wasn't a serious buyer. And then one guy, when I asked him why 2 different systems were different prices, he actually said "because the box is bigger". Needless to say I left that store.
    Good grief. The arrogance of youth. Mr. SR is used to it. A few years before he retired the World Bank had a brilliant idea to do yet another reorg and have everybody reapply for their old job. The person Mr. SR had to interview with was not only much younger but had only been there a short while. She asked him a bunch of questions about the job and the software and the systems, etc. which he politely answered. Later his boss told him that when she reported to him on the interview, he took great pleasure in telling her that Mr. SR not only understood the system but HE HAD DESIGNED IT. I don't have that kind of patience.

Leave a comment:

• JT-2
    replied
    Originally posted by Southern Red View Post

First of all, on the subject of new operating systems. I just had an update to Big Sur, don't ask, on my iMac. Lord have mercy, it's like a whole new learning curve, and the little icons at the top are all much smaller. "You can change that," said Mr. SR. "Get away from me," I replied.

Not all of us oldies are technophobic, but your sister sounds like Mr. SR's sis, who got a new iPhone and has been back to the Apple store I don't know how many times. One of her problems, I solved for her by telling her to reboot, which involved a whole new set of instructions because the buttons work differently on this version.

Mr. SR recently took his computer in to have more memory added and the youngster tried to tell him he didn't need it. Mr. SR persisted and now all his problems are solved. If I had been with him, I would have said "Listen here Skippy, this man was programming computers with a clay stylus on a tablet when your daddy was a twinkle in his daddy's eye, so don't condescend to him." Plus some more stuff.
    Oh I know not everyone my sister's age are technophobic. I have several friends their age who are very tech savvy. But sis and her friends were definitely not. Then I became their "expert" as they asked me if they could do this and do that. I felt like I should be charging them for the dinner.

As for rebooting... while I've been having all my systems problems at work, I must have had 10 different tech people helping me and all of them ask "did you try rebooting". No, I thought if I just stared at it really hard it would get better on its own.

Mr. SR showed great patience to not just tell the kid off. I hate it when people assume you don't know what you're talking about like that. When I was in college, I was buying a computer for my house (this was the early 90s... buying a computer was a big deal back then). Sales people never wanted to help me, probably assuming I wasn't a serious buyer. And then one guy, when I asked him why 2 different systems were different prices, he actually said "because the box is bigger". Needless to say I left that store.

Leave a comment:

• Southern Red
    replied
    FH - get packing, young lady! And have fun on your vacation!!

One problem was easy for them to fix. The other... not so much. It's still not working. One step forward, one step back. It's my own fault for jinxing myself.

I was just out to dinner with my older sister and some of her friends. They make me feel like I'm young again. They are so computer illiterate. We went to Applebees and there was a promo to get free tickets to that movie with The Rock that is coming out.. Jungle Cruise or something (I'm not a fan of The Rock - which they all gaped at me for... sorry he's too muscle-y... anyway.....). You had to take a picture of your receipt then go to a website and then email the tickets to the other people and print them out. You'd think they'd been asked to perform brain surgery. Finally I just snapped and was like "I'll just do it for you all!"
    First of all, on the subject of new operating systems. I just had an update to Big Sur, don't ask, on my iMac. Lord have mercy, it's like a whole new learning curve, and the little icons at the top are all much smaller. "You can change that," said Mr. SR. "Get away from me," I replied.

Not all of us oldies are technophobic, but your sister sounds like Mr. SR's sis, who got a new iPhone and has been back to the Apple store I don't know how many times. One of her problems, I solved for her by telling her to reboot, which involved a whole new set of instructions because the buttons work differently on this version.

Mr. SR recently took his computer in to have more memory added and the youngster tried to tell him he didn't need it. Mr. SR persisted and now all his problems are solved. If I had been with him, I would have said "Listen here Skippy, this man was programming computers with a clay stylus on a tablet when your daddy was a twinkle in his daddy's eye, so don't condescend to him." Plus some more stuff.

Leave a comment:

• JT-2
    replied
    FH - get packing, young lady! And have fun on your vacation!!

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Hmm, hopefully this doesn't turn into a "famous last words" situation, am I right?

I was just out to dinner with my older sister and some of her friends. They make me feel like I'm young again. They are so computer illiterate. We went to Applebees and there was a promo to get free tickets to that movie with The Rock that is coming out.. Jungle Cruise or something (I'm not a fan of The Rock - which they all gaped at me for... sorry he's too muscle-y... anyway.....). You had to take a picture of your receipt then go to a website and then email the tickets to the other people and print them out. You'd think they'd been asked to perform brain surgery. Finally I just snapped and was like "I'll just do it for you all!"
    Last edited by JT-2; July 30, 2021, 04:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Falcon Horus
    replied
    Short night, long workday and I'm dead in the couch.

I should be packing for vacation -- leaving tomorrow afternoon for a 1,5h drive to arrive at my vacation spot, the very exotic, very wet and no sunshine Ardennes.

Leave a comment:

• Scary Kitty
    replied
    Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

There are a few little glitches in the new system but they *should* be easy to fix when I start tomorrow. Note the "should".
    Hmm, hopefully this doesn't turn into a "famous last words" situation, am I right?

Leave a comment:

• JT-2
    replied
    Originally posted by Zandras.ashes View Post

So sorry, but glad they provided working system finally.
    Originally posted by Scary Kitty
    And ouch, looks like GW wasn't the only one having technical difficulties this week. Glad you all are back up and running!
    There are a few little glitches in the new system but they *should* be easy to fix when I start tomorrow. Note the "should".

Leave a comment:

• Scary Kitty
    replied
    Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Gateworld is back up!!!
    We're baaaack! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

And ouch, looks like GW wasn't the only one having technical difficulties this week. Glad you all are back up and running!

Leave a comment:

• Zandras.ashes
    replied
    Gateworld is back up!!!

Ugh!! Downloading a windows update can take forever! Sorry you were late.

At work they finally decided to just give me a whole new system this afternoon. Thank the gods/goddesses/The Force! Now I will spend the next few days working frantically to try to catch up.
    So sorry, but glad they provided working system finally.

Leave a comment:

• JT-2
    replied
    Gateworld is back up!!!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

I decided to let my computer download the newest windows update friday afternoon. Good thing I had to go online on saturday to put something on the server, cause the new updates had to be installed and it took well over 30 minutes to do so. I was supposed to drop the files around 5pm... I was obviously late.
    Ugh!! Downloading a windows update can take forever! Sorry you were late.

At work they finally decided to just give me a whole new system this afternoon. Thank the gods/goddesses/The Force! Now I will spend the next few days working frantically to try to catch up.

Leave a comment:

• Falcon Horus
    replied
    I've now gone 4 days of work without my computer systems running properly. I am ready to throw the computer out the window. Or shoot someone. Whichever comes first.
    I decided to let my computer download the newest windows update friday afternoon. Good thing I had to go online on saturday to put something on the server, cause the new updates had to be installed and it took well over 30 minutes to do so. I was supposed to drop the files around 5pm... I was obviously late.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X