Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Then I'm glad to be of service.

They probably missed a few lines because they got lost in McKay's expanded pages of text.

Rachel and Jason joked about it at a con once, how little they had to say.

Jason isn't doing much better as Khal Drogo in Game of Thrones though. Talk about type casting... but he never the less looks pretty awesome.
    OT......"Game of Thrones"
    Spoiler:

I just finished the book, "Game of Thrones" last week. I haven't read book #2 or #3 yet. I don't have HBO, so I didn't see the premiere of the series last night.

How was the premiere? Anyone know how they are going to match up season 1 to book 1?

I'm looking forward to reading book #2 and #3.

I didn't know Jason was in it. That's cool. Khal Drogo is an interesting character in the book. Not a huge part in the book, but an interesting character. Of course, this is TV, I'm sure they will make several changes from book to small screen.
    sigpic
    Signature by Erin87

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
      Although it would have made me really sad, I wonder if they should have just bit the bullet and kill her off in Lifeline.
      Personally Elizabeth's character as much as I kill myself over and over again for thinking this because Elizabeth is my spirit animal I rather they kill her off admidbarily then make a mockery of her character. Again if they did justice to Elizabeth during that period I wouldnt be so...Angry.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      According to one of the DVD commentaries (for "Adrift," I think? I don't have the S4 DVDs), if Torri had decided to not come back for Season 4 at all after they told her they were reducing Weir's role on the show, the plan would've been to kill Weir off in "Adrift." But as we all know, Torri stuck it out for as long as she did in the hopes that the character would get a storyline that would be more satisfying for the fans. Sadly, TPTW seemed to be more interested in playing with the new toys and simply blew off Torri and the fans.
      Personally it was like the JJ situation on Criminal Minds they took of JJ it was a stupid move except they actually learned from their mistakes unlike some some people. Who knows maybe Joe will one day take it and fix up this Elizabeth Mess.
      BALCONIES
      The Breeding Ground of Ships.
      sigpic

Comment

SGU for Atlantis Rising report coming in a couple more hours; SyFy has moved the final four episodes from 10pm to 9pm, so I'm going to miss about the first half hour of the initial airing and will have to wait for the second airing. What I did see in the second half was pretty interesting, but nothing that will affect AR.

I should probably stop posting cause my kidney stone meds are making me haaappy
        Gotta love the good meds. John does!

I can't imagine Rodney telling Elizabeth to flash her breasts to those kids. And if he had, she would have just given him the eyebrow and said "Excuse me?" He would have felt bad and apologized. I don't see him even suggesting it with Elizabeth around.

This is one example of why getting rid of Elizabeth was bad for the whole cast dymanic, IMO. There was no one there to curtail Rodney. He respected Elizabeth. That was one of my favorite relationships. And of course, there was no one around for John to talk to anymore. Poor woobie John.
        Heh! Well, I wasn't talking about the inane nonsense in the majority of the episode, just the situation that set up how McKay, Keller and Carter got trapped. But I agree, if Elizabeth had been there, there's no way McKay would've made that suggestion. It's very clear that Elizabeth's loss did severely disrupt the group chemistry for the entire cast. There was such an increasing disconnect between the way they acted before "Lifeline" and the way they acted afterward that at times, it really seemed like two different shows. And not in a good way.

Rodney is my third favorite character (after Elizabeth and John), but I agree that it got quite ridiculous as the seasons went on.
        Ridiculous is right.

Yay! Pink fruity drinks!!
        Heeheehee!

Yup. Torri gave it her all.
        And that dedication shows in every moment she was on screen. She never phoned it in.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Dang it, I was getting ready to post and my internet connection vaporized and lost everything!

So to start over, I paid my taxes. Whoopee! I quit my old job. Even more whoopee! I start at the school next Monday!

Whoa, there's lots of wicked ideas flying around! Shipper, I am loving the thoughts of the NCIS-style elevator gag! That would be fun to put in the series. As for the iPad issue,
          Spoiler:
          for Atlantis Rising, we came up with the idea of Atlantis getting them early as part of a super seekrit beta test for Apple. Hee!

On the subject of John's accommodations at McMurdo, I would imagine it would be pretty small. And chilly.
          Like the idea in spoilers! And small and chilly? Sounds like Elizabeth needs to warm him up. FYI: Smut Tuesday starts in an hour and a half! LOL

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
          Oh, main that it's Zachary Levi and Zachary Levi. And the hair was awesome even for an animated character. But mostly Zachary Levi. Nephew I'm afraid wouldn't get that.

And you're welcome.
          True that! He's my newest celeb crush! I'm still amazed at how well he can sing! Reminds me, I need to go find the song on iTunes ...

I go in circles as to which Austen is my favorite. It has passed between P&P, Persuasion, Emma and Mansfield Park at least 4 times a piece. Northanger Abbey even won a top slot at one point. Austen could tell such a good story--but there is so much more to her writing than just the plots. The genius of Northanger Abbey's mock of Gothic romance books is simply amazing when you step back and analyze in a literary context. And the social microcosm of Mansfield Park. I so bow to that woman.

It also helps that ever new film adaptation introduces really hot actors as versions of the characters.
          Also, BBC and various outlets keep producing new versions and new adaptations of the books. How prolific and unique the stories (and said author) must be if they're still so popular after 200 years.

My brain totally went here, after reading that:

Spoiler:
          I'll check that out!

I added you back. Snark and sarcasm are 2 of my favorite things. I also added KrisRussell and SK. They were the only ones I was sure of. I'm mathgirl24 over there too. I thought about using that for my name here, but feared everyone would think I'm a weirdo (before getting to know me, and knowing that the weirdo label is actually valid ). And now, knowing my initials mean something else, well, the stubborn part of me refuses to change it. (whoa that was some serious comma abuse)
          You can add me too, if you want. Just plain ol' shipperwriter.

Well, yes, that always helps. I know that it was acceptable at the time, but I can't get over the cousins thing in Mansfield Park. I love the Gwyneth Paltrow version of Emma (Jeremy Northam... drool). My favorite Persuasion version is the Amanda Root one. The people in that are more normal looking, but it's so beautifully done. Ok, ok, Ciarán Hinds... drool.
          I'm still wanting to write a Sparky fic based on the plot from "Persuasion". I think, of all the films, it probably is most likely to happen in Sparkyworld.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          You made me think of something. The Sateda conversation you are referring to. I see that as John just letting people fill in the blanks for him so he won't have to. Sometimes it may have absolutely nothing to do with reality. Like with Teyla when she implied that he didn't have friends and he seemed to be insulted. Yet for some reason she thought that. I wonder why. Did he spend a lot of time in his room reading War and Peace? Was he never seen with anyone but the team, Elizabeth and maybe Carson? Did he not take part in the social activities? Puzzlement.

Oh and if you found some of us on Twitter, you can probably figure out some others. Anuna is there also. We are presently planning our move to a remote island where it seems I have volunteered to milk goats. If you have a survival skill, you may join us. We plan to subsist on goat cheese, wine and my homemade bread. Plus have lovely music, a veggie garden and the men will fish. Needless to say it has been named Sparky Island.
          Whoa. I need to check Twitter.

The Twitter convo was starting to scare me.

I think with regards to the Sateda convo, that John was a bit of a workaholic who was pretty much always busy or commanding. And I don't wonder if Teyla compared his leadership style to hers, not really 'getting' that military commanders aren't supposed to make friends with their troops. But I would consider him like Elizabeth, who was many times called out by various people for working too much. I remember Teyla's reaction in Sunday when Elizabeth cancelled their lunch date--both she and Carson were amused, in part because it was a 'date' but also because Elizabeth was getting out. And didn't John ask someone at one point to invite Elizabeth out because she was in her office too much? I think he, like she, lives for his duty on Atlantis and just wasn't interested in making friends with the people he could be friends with. He had enough in the group he names back to Teyla.
          Okay, based on what I just read, I need to go rewatch "Sunday". With a box of tissues, of course.

I know, Ciaran Hinds! I wrote a paper once on how the filming of that version of Persuasion was reflective of the imagery Austen used to describe her characters. One of the best sequences is when Anne arrives in Bath and the home of the Eliots is that white marble palace flat, cold and austere and beautiful--and then you immediately see Elizabeth seated on a settee in the middle of it. It was wonderfully done.

I have been an Austen fangirl for so long, I'm completely over the cousins thing. I don't even remember when it happened, because I was so young when I questioned why they'd marry their cousins. At some point I just accepted it, though I know that genetically it caused problems.
          Interestingly enough, in RL, Queen Victoria married her first cousin, Albert, and they had 9 normal children, if I remember correctly. Of course, they also wanted to keep the sovereignty within the family ...

On the cousins thing, if Jonny Lee Miller was my cousin, I'd marry him.

That's one of the cutest fics. There's also one where he gets turned into a cat, and isn't there one where some monkeylike creature gets stuck on his head? Also cute.
          And one where he gets turned into a dog, and Lizzeh gets turned into a cat. And they're inseperable. Awwwwwwww ...

Speaking of monkeylike creatures, have you guys heard that BW plunged the last knife into the franchise at the Con? No movies of any sort. No surprise there. So, no new canon after EatG.
          Nice. Raise your hand if you didn't see that coming!
          Last edited by ShipperWriter; 18 April 2011, 06:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to fix a quote ...

Comment

Cousins seem normal to me after watching the Borgias....Lucrezia was a little too close to her brother >.<
            BALCONIES
            The Breeding Ground of Ships.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
              Dang it, I was getting ready to post and my internet connection vaporized and lost everything!
              I hate it when that happens.

So to start over, I paid my taxes. Whoopee! I quit my old job. Even more whoopee! I start at the school next Monday!
              Hooray! Good to hear things are going well. Even the taxes.

Like the idea in spoilers! And small and chilly? Sounds like Elizabeth needs to warm him up. FYI: Smut Tuesday starts in an hour and a half! LOL
              Always on target.

And one where he gets turned into a dog, and Lizzeh gets turned into a cat. And they're inseperable. Awwwwwwww ...
              I remember that one. So. Cute.

*snorts*
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

And, here's the SGU for Atlantis Rising report on this week's episode, number 2.17, "Common Descent."

First off, nothing of consequence that would affect AR happened. As to the story...
                Spoiler:
                In short, Destiny comes upon a settlement of people who are apparently the descendants of the crew of the Destiny. Specifically, of the other Destiny from the time loop in the episode "Twin Destinies" earlier this season. Instead of being killed when they went through the unstable wormhole, as previously believed, it turns out they were flung even further back in time than the other Colonel Telford was... instead of 12 hours, they were sent 2000 years into the past, where the wormhole routed them to the nearest planet instead of to Earth. Wild stuff!

One interesting note was that we did discover that version 1.0 Stargates are not only weaker-powered compared to Milky Way and Pegasus gates, they're also structurally weaker as well. A mere shot from one of those pesky anti-technology drone ships that was plaguing Destiny earlier in the season blew a chunk out of the gate on the planet. Eeek.
                ETA: Then again, maybe it was just because those drone ships are pretty crazy powerful. But the sight of the gate standing there with a section of it blown away leaving twisted wreckage was pretty cool.

Three more episodes to go.
                Last edited by Scary Kitty; 18 April 2011, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the double post but I forgot I wanted to reply to this.

That's a very good point that I actually had never considered. It does seem like they were trying to diminish her role and if I remember correctly, some of the comments from TPTB in S3 and beyond back this theory up. They really didn't think the character was "working". Whatever that means. But we know now from what the guys said on Sat that they thought she was working fine and wanted more of her. It sounds like Joe and David liked the scenes with Torri and wanted more. I know Joe once said he liked those longer scenes with her in a commentary. Conversion, I believe it was.

Again it comes down to bad writing and just not being in tune with the fans. How many times in those days did we talk about wanting her to go off world more and actually use her language skills? Lots of missed opportunity there.
                  Playing DA, I assume TPTW didn't like writing Torri/Weir into scenes because her character was stuck on base, and they were generally character-heavy.

That said, this was probably why the other actors liked these scenes. FINALLY, a chance to portray emotion. FINALLY, some dialogue that wasn't "reverse the polarity", "how many seconds", or "penetrate".

While I am one that really wanted Weir to go off world more, I still wanted it to be in an as needed basis. Even once more per year would've been fine. Look at season three - a good chunk of TR I & II is her outside her office. The Tower is a perfect example of where she should've been used (although I suspect she wasn't because it would've been easier to fit in her solo stuff for TLG by having her absent) - the first contact team had been, there was a replica of Atlantis that required further study, yet she remained in the fishbowl. Inferno is a good use of her character though - they call her in to do the negotiations, but as soon as the danger appears, she heads back (protect the Queen)

I know that sometimes as writers we get into a rut and feel like we're just writing the same stuff over and over again, and that's what makes it feel like a character/role is stagnant.

However--you cannot argue to me that they didn't have some way to salvage Elizabeth if they felt she was going stagnant. As many of us have argued before--we saw how awesome Torri was in TRW, and there was such fun that could have been had if the Lifeline story had turned into Elizabeth becoming brainwashed or a leader of the replicators. Making her bad for a while would have been SO GOOD. And as a fan of Elizabeth, I would have enjoyed it, even if she was away from Atlantis for a while. That was only one of the many scenarios they could have been proposed to inject a little new blood into the formula. And the angst, oh! *sigh*

But either they were shortsighted or they were making up excuses. And nowhere can you tell me that in a show where the City is the focus--it's in the name, for Pete's sake--would the head of the City not have importance. That's just silly. But... *sigh*
                  I have reservations with evil!Weir. I'm not sure whether that's due to how I imagine the story turning out, or whether it's because I'm not a huge fan of Torri's evil! acting (sorry). Regardless, the excuse of we don't know what to do with Weir doesn't wash with me. There were so many story opportunities they could've explored, most of which wouldn't have required her to leave the base.

While I probably love Carter more than anyone on this thread, I don't for one second believe that Weir wasn't axed specifically to bring Carter in as leader, for ratings. There was no obvious sign that they'd planned for any other scenario. If you're going for dramatic, they'd have had her as the commander of the Apollo, then take command of Atlantis during the early part of Lifeline. At least there would've been some tension, like they promoted.

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Brilliant post. I feel much the same way; that's why I've always called Elizabeth the "Heart of Atlantis." I see her as representative of just what the expedition is working for and trying to protect, the peace and safety of everyone back on Earth, and in many respects, she's the glue that has held the expedition together. It was pretty heavily implied as far back as "Rising" that she was heavily responsible for selecting those who would be going to Atlantis, and certainly she was the one who pushed for getting Sheppard added to the group over any objections the Air Force might have had. Weir, and the symbolic role she plays, was absolutely essential to the Atlantis story. It's like peanut butter and chocolate.

I've always felt that the arguments that the character "wasn't working" were total BS. Just look at episodes like "Trio" or "Inquisition." In "Trio," the whole story gets started because a group of people on a planet are refusing to move to safer ground even in the face of pretty dire evidence that they're screwed if they stay. Atlantis needs a negotiator. And they send Carter? Sure, she's the leader of Atlantis, but she's no diplomat. Weir, on the other hand, was tailor-made for just this kind of situation. The same is true of "Inquisition;" Woolsey's a relatively good fit for this episode as he is a lawyer dealing with what's essentially a court trial, but his style is more confrontational and grating, and I think Weir's more cool and even-handed style would have been better suited to dealing with the Coalition. It's nonsense like this that has led me to the belief that TPTW were just making up excuses for getting rid of Torri, and they knew all along that they couldn't truly justify it.
                  The episodes you quoted were tailor made (at least in description, although not in character) for Weir. That makes the we find her difficult to write for thing somewhat redundant. I honestly don't know whether TPTW had some beef with Torri, whether they were taking a punt on Amanda, or whether they were lazy writers. I doubt anyone will ever know the true story.

Shortsighted, making up excuses, or both. I'm thinking probably both.

Darnit, turning Weir "evil" for a half a season or so would've been great! Heck, that was what they were originally planning to with Daniel when they turned him into a Prior in Season 10 of SG-1, but they scrapped the plan and left him "evil" for only one episode. (Like the whole thing with Weir, it also felt rather rushed and forced to end too soon.) An "evil" Weir on the rampage would have been a fabulous way to shake up all the characters, not just Weir, and in a way that would have far more meaningful repercussions in terms of story development. But noooo...

*snorts*
                  You'd know better than I, but I did wonder when I heard about the longer evil!Daniel arc whether it was cut shorter due to the shorter season? I don't remember when they found out (I thought it was later than that) but maybe they had a little inkling beforehand?

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                  Referring to Weir as Hammond struck me as hollow because while I loved the General Hammond and never had any problems with him, I found his absence the easiest to adjust to. Weir's was the hardest. I think it's because they have different places in the cast. Hammond was their military superior, he was the one who had all the final calls (most of the time) Weir was the leader of the expedition but since she was a civilian she had to collaborate with them as well. Plus given she stepped through the wormhole into the unknown at the same time as them at the start of the show, she felt much more like a colleague of Rodney and John and just a superior.
                  I loved Hammond, moreso because I rewatched part of s6 recently. His ultimatum to Carter when she was whining about McKay cracked me up - you've got (X) hours to come with a better idea, or we're going with his one. Plus telling the Tok'ra I don't give a damn. Not to mention ordering all the 302 pilots to their death during TLC, followed by the sacrificing (they would've died anyway, were it not for O'Neill) of the Prometheus crew to kill Anubis. And yet, the thing I will always love that character for is for his scenes in Heroes II, which is a character heavy ep. That's right, TPTW wasted another character....

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
                  Oh gosh youknow if it is the McKay Show you know how every single Shep whump Moment will go down if the show was focused on Mckay:

On a more serious note. I am rather P.Oed on what the TPTW decided to do with Elizabeth, but I am more angry about HOW they decided to get rid of her. At least if you want to kill off one of the most epic women in Stargate do it in a way that is IN HER CHARACTER. I mean come on! Turning Elizabeth into an evil person and turning her against her city with no resolution in sight its a *****slap against Weir's character. If at least I dont know, GiTM or TMC turned out differently like John makes her remember who she was and what she stood for then maybe she wouldnt be floating in space somewhere with the enemy and John wouldnt still beat himself up.

I mean I be upset if indeed it was written that Elizabeth died saving the city from the Replicators, but at least I can be assured she died in a way that was more fitting to her character not totally warped. If I am making any sense?
                  When I read the GW spoilers regarding FS/Adrift, I assumed Weir was going to be injured in some sort of act (eg something in the ZPM room) rather than looking out the frakking window. Not to mention when I actually watched the ep, they went out of their way to make her look wrong, but then went out of their way to prove her actions right, it just made me *headdesk*

And, here's the SGU for Atlantis Rising report on this week's episode, number 2.17, "Common Descent."

First off, nothing of consequence that would affect AR happened. As to the story...
                  Spoiler:
                  In short, Destiny comes upon a settlement of people who are apparently the descendants of the crew of the Destiny. Specifically, of the other Destiny from the time loop in the episode "Twin Destinies" earlier this season. Instead of being killed when they went through the unstable wormhole, as previously believed, it turns out they were flung even further back in time than the other Colonel Telford was... instead of 12 hours, they were sent 2000 years into the past, where the wormhole routed them to the nearest planet instead of to Earth. Wild stuff!

One interesting note was that we did discover that version 1.0 Stargates are not only weaker-powered compared to Milky Way and Pegasus gates, they're also structurally weaker as well. A mere shot from one of those pesky anti-technology drone ships that was plaguing Destiny earlier in the season blew a chunk out of the gate on the planet. Eeek.
                  ETA: Then again, maybe it was just because those drone ships are pretty crazy powerful. But the sight of the gate standing there with a section of it blown away leaving twisted wreckage was pretty cool.

Three more episodes to go.
                  Spoiler:
                  Hmm. Let's see. <insert snark> SG(F)U gates are inferior to SG-1 and SGA gates? Imagine my surprise </snark>
                  sigpic

Comment

Damn this multi-quote thing! Why does it never work for me?

I'll get you a Sparky fic for trying.
                    Awwwwww. First the green, now this You are just the most beautiful rose of all

I'm so glad that work is over today. It taxed my brain.

Ok this is totally OT for this thread, so...
                    Spoiler:
                    To me it all comes down to one thing - they wanted to work with AT. Just like with JS. They didn't think through HOW they should include those characters though, and shoehorned them into roles that didn't suit them. (a 25 year old CMO... please! ) And that's why Carter started sounding like Weir and Keller did Wraith genetic research like Carson. It had nothing to do with the roles of Weir and Carson - it was the desire to work with AT and JS.

Or maybe I'm just too cynical for my own good.

And they couldn't write for Elizabeth/had no stories for her/etc? See FH's research. Elizabeth had more screen time in S3 than any other season. They certainly wrote her in S3. That just magically went away at S4? Please.

I do also wonder if they thought getting rid of Elizabeth would make a certain other ship more popular.

LOL! Hey, I'm mathgirl after all. Give me hard numbers and I'm all over it.

And yes, Rachel (and Jason) certainly did. I just imagine them highlighting their lines... wouldn't have taken a lot of ink.

Yes, exactly. It's not SG-1. It's Atlantis. Totally different concept. They should have remembered that.

Although it would have made me really sad, I wonder if they should have just bit the bullet and kill her off in Lifeline.
                    To your OT...
                    Spoiler:
                    ....especially the striked bit, that was one of my initial thoughts when I heard of Weir's demise. I believe it would've happend (Sheyla in s4) at the tail end of the season had RL not become pregnant. And re Keller, while I didn't come up with it, I follow the theory that she was intended to be Weir's replacement (in screentime, not in terms of character) in the long run. Carter would've filled that role in s5, but AT left, so....

At the time, I wouldn't have been happy with Weir being killed in Lifeline, but with Harry Hindsight, it would've been the best thing. That said, I keep imagining the end of BAMSR playing differently lately - imagine if it were on another planet, with some people/replicators talking, with the final line being "now we can get to work" followed by a shot of Weir in a stasis pod, or strapped to a table in fear.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
                      Personally Elizabeth's character as much as I kill myself over and over again for thinking this because Elizabeth is my spirit animal I rather they kill her off admidbarily then make a mockery of her character. Again if they did justice to Elizabeth during that period I wouldnt be so...Angry.

Personally it was like the JJ situation on Criminal Minds they took of JJ it was a stupid move except they actually learned from their mistakes unlike some some people. Who knows maybe Joe will one day take it and fix up this Elizabeth Mess.
                      Have they realized their mistake on CM? The fact that the person who replaced JJ looks almost exactly like her only younger must have been a real slap in the face to her fans. Bringing her back briefly only made me miss her more. The new girl is okay, but I don't see why they made the change.

SGU for Atlantis Rising report coming in a couple more hours; SyFy has moved the final four episodes from 10pm to 9pm, so I'm going to miss about the first half hour of the initial airing and will have to wait for the second airing. What I did see in the second half was pretty interesting, but nothing that will affect AR.

Gotta love the good meds. John does!

Heh! Well, I wasn't talking about the inane nonsense in the majority of the episode, just the situation that set up how McKay, Keller and Carter got trapped. But I agree, if Elizabeth had been there, there's no way McKay would've made that suggestion. It's very clear that Elizabeth's loss did severely disrupt the group chemistry for the entire cast. There was such an increasing disconnect between the way they acted before "Lifeline" and the way they acted afterward that at times, it really seemed like two different shows. And not in a good way.

Ridiculous is right.

Heeheehee!

And that dedication shows in every moment she was on screen. She never phoned it in.
                      Personally, I think they should have had everything that happened from Sunday on be an AU. I can see Carson waking up from a dream. He's back in the infirmary. Everything is fine and he's hoping to go fishing with Rodney. Now let's go back and do it right.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                      Damn this multi-quote thing! Why does it never work for me?
                      It hates you. Do you check the little box on the right and then hit "reply to thread"? If so, I'm left clueless.

To your OT...
                      Spoiler:
                      ....especially the striked bit, that was one of my initial thoughts when I heard of Weir's demise. I believe it would've happend (Sheyla in s4) at the tail end of the season had RL not become pregnant. And re Keller, while I didn't come up with it, I follow the theory that she was intended to be Weir's replacement (in screentime, not in terms of character) in the long run. Carter would've filled that role in s5, but AT left, so....

At the time, I wouldn't have been happy with Weir being killed in Lifeline, but with Harry Hindsight, it would've been the best thing. That said, I keep imagining the end of BAMSR playing differently lately - imagine if it were on another planet, with some people/replicators talking, with the final line being "now we can get to work" followed by a shot of Weir in a stasis pod, or strapped to a table in fear.
                      ITA with your assessment of S4. Judging from Doppelganger, which was filmed before they found out RL was pregnant, I'd say that ship was on track to happen. But things changed.

I'm not sure how I feel about the evil Weir idea. It would have been fun to watch but I think in the long run would only have added fuel to the fire of the Weir haters. I don't remember how I felt at the time but I think I may have suspected they would end it with John having to kill her. That I would not want to have seen.

No, I stand by my belief that we have nothing to regret on the ship side. It was never going to happen for real and we got the very best reaction out of John we could have hoped for thanks to Joe's insistence on adding emotion to John's character. We never had to witness him shipped with anybody else and never had to see her character destroyed more than it already was. Fanfic can fill in the blanks.

Don't forget to vote on Best Kiss.
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

True that! He's my newest celeb crush! I'm still amazed at how well he can sing! Reminds me, I need to go find the song on iTunes ...

Also, BBC and various outlets keep producing new versions and new adaptations of the books. How prolific and unique the stories (and said author) must be if they're still so popular after 200 years.

I'll check that out!

You can add me too, if you want. Just plain ol' shipperwriter.

I'm still wanting to write a Sparky fic based on the plot from "Persuasion". I think, of all the films, it probably is most likely to happen in Sparkyworld.

Whoa. I need to check Twitter.

Okay, based on what I just read, I need to go rewatch "Sunday". With a box of tissues, of course.

Interestingly enough, in RL, Queen Victoria married her first cousin, Albert, and they had 9 normal children, if I remember correctly. Of course, they also wanted to keep the sovereignty within the family ...

On the cousins thing, if Jonny Lee Miller was my cousin, I'd marry him.

*LOL* Not everyone who married their cousin ended up with genetically abnormal children! Just that over the course of generations the inbreeding led to more genetic abnormalities. The rumors of hunchbacks, episodes of dwarfism, mentally unstable members--that was all supposedly due to many noble families trying to keep the bloodlines 'pure.' See Poe's Fall of the House of Usher for a Gothic take on it.

Have they realized their mistake on CM? The fact that the person who replaced JJ looks almost exactly like her only younger must have been a real slap in the face to her fans. Bringing her back briefly only made me miss her more. The new girl is okay, but I don't see why they made the change.

Personally, I think they should have had everything that happened from Sunday on be an AU. I can see Carson waking up from a dream. He's back in the infirmary. Everything is fine and he's hoping to go fishing with Rodney. Now let's go back and do it right.

It hates you. Do you check the little box on the right and then hit "reply to thread"? If so, I'm left clueless.

ITA with your assessment of S4. Judging from Doppelganger, which was filmed before they found out RL was pregnant, I'd say that ship was on track to happen. But things changed.

I'm not sure how I feel about the evil Weir idea. It would have been fun to watch but I think in the long run would only have added fuel to the fire of the Weir haters. I don't remember how I felt at the time but I think I may have suspected they would end it with John having to kill her. That I would not want to have seen.

No, I stand by my belief that we have nothing to regret on the ship side. It was never going to happen for real and we got the very best reaction out of John we could have hoped for thanks to Joe's insistence on adding emotion to John's character. We never had to witness him shipped with anybody else and never had to see her character destroyed more than it already was. Fanfic can fill in the blanks.

Don't forget to vote on Best Kiss.
                        Playing DA, I assume TPTW didn't like writing Torri/Weir into scenes because her character was stuck on base, and they were generally character-heavy.

That said, this was probably why the other actors liked these scenes. FINALLY, a chance to portray emotion. FINALLY, some dialogue that wasn't "reverse the polarity", "how many seconds", or "penetrate".

While I am one that really wanted Weir to go off world more, I still wanted it to be in an as needed basis. Even once more per year would've been fine. Look at season three - a good chunk of TR I & II is her outside her office. The Tower is a perfect example of where she should've been used (although I suspect she wasn't because it would've been easier to fit in her solo stuff for TLG by having her absent) - the first contact team had been, there was a replica of Atlantis that required further study, yet she remained in the fishbowl. Inferno is a good use of her character though - they call her in to do the negotiations, but as soon as the danger appears, she heads back (protect the Queen)

I have reservations with evil!Weir. I'm not sure whether that's due to how I imagine the story turning out, or whether it's because I'm not a huge fan of Torri's evil! acting (sorry). Regardless, the excuse of we don't know what to do with Weir doesn't wash with me. There were so many story opportunities they could've explored, most of which wouldn't have required her to leave the base.

While I probably love Carter more than anyone on this thread, I don't for one second believe that Weir wasn't axed specifically to bring Carter in as leader, for ratings. There was no obvious sign that they'd planned for any other scenario. If you're going for dramatic, they'd have had her as the commander of the Apollo, then take command of Atlantis during the early part of Lifeline. At least there would've been some tension, like they promoted.

The episodes you quoted were tailor made (at least in description, although not in character) for Weir. That makes the we find her difficult to write for thing somewhat redundant. I honestly don't know whether TPTW had some beef with Torri, whether they were taking a punt on Amanda, or whether they were lazy writers. I doubt anyone will ever know the true story.

You'd know better than I, but I did wonder when I heard about the longer evil!Daniel arc whether it was cut shorter due to the shorter season? I don't remember when they found out (I thought it was later than that) but maybe they had a little inkling beforehand?

I loved Hammond, moreso because I rewatched part of s6 recently. His ultimatum to Carter when she was whining about McKay cracked me up - you've got (X) hours to come with a better idea, or we're going with his one. Plus telling the Tok'ra I don't give a damn. Not to mention ordering all the 302 pilots to their death during TLC, followed by the sacrificing (they would've died anyway, were it not for O'Neill) of the Prometheus crew to kill Anubis. And yet, the thing I will always love that character for is for his scenes in Heroes II, which is a character heavy ep. That's right, TPTW wasted another character....

When I read the GW spoilers regarding FS/Adrift, I assumed Weir was going to be injured in some sort of act (eg something in the ZPM room) rather than looking out the frakking window. Not to mention when I actually watched the ep, they went out of their way to make her look wrong, but then went out of their way to prove her actions right, it just made me *headdesk*

Spoiler:
                        Hmm. Let's see. <insert snark> SG(F)U gates are inferior to SG-1 and SGA gates? Imagine my surprise </snark>
                        I agree with SR about it ending about as best as we could get, considering the circumstances. Honestly, we have one of the best arguments for 'ship' even if it's star-crossed, courtesy John's reactions (and Michelle Morgan's last lingering look at him) in GITM.

I don't have the reservations about Evil!Weir, but I understand them. I remember a lot of people, when we didn't know Torri's fate, being very anti the idea of her going bad and some of the campaign to save her was centered on bringing her back exactly as she was. I wasn't that die-hard--I just wanted her back, no matter how it occurred.

I think I would have enjoyed the angst of John trying to find a way to save/regain her. Not even these PTB would have had him kill her, I think; they copped out twice in having anyone take responsibility for Elizabeth's demise--her ordering him to go and leave her in LL and then having her make the decision to go through the space gate in GITM. Both times no blame was to be laid on anyone's head. /copout

I guess it's kind of useless to speculate about Evil!Weir because such a story would have required a much larger role for Torri and so wouldn't have come about with the reality of the situation being what it was. They would have had to plan for it and that makes it hard for me to separate that from what they really did. I just regret that they had potential to do something different and didn't even consider it.
                        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Shorter season? They had already shortened the seasons when they started running SGA alongside SG-1, starting with Season 8. Did you mean when they got the cancellation notice for SG-1? I think they didn't get that until after the episode in question had been filmed.

I seem to recall Martin Gero (who wrote FS) having the same thought, that Weir would only be seriously injured, but that she'd be okay and returning to her job by the end of the S4 premiere.

That would've been evil. And I love it!

That's what the novels ought to be doing.

I agree with SR about it ending about as best as we could get, considering the circumstances. Honestly, we have one of the best arguments for 'ship' even if it's star-crossed, courtesy John's reactions (and Michelle Morgan's last lingering look at him) in GITM.
                          Indeed. Every time I think about it, I'm reminded of my "Sparky as modern example of medieval courtly romance literature" theory and smile. Because the idea of John dedicating his life to serving Elizabeth's memory in the hopes of one day being reunited with her in the hereafter? I find that very hot. Ascended!Sparky for the win!

I don't have the reservations about Evil!Weir, but I understand them. I remember a lot of people, when we didn't know Torri's fate, being very anti the idea of her going bad and some of the campaign to save her was centered on bringing her back exactly as she was. I wasn't that die-hard--I just wanted her back, no matter how it occurred.

I think I would have enjoyed the angst of John trying to find a way to save/regain her. Not even these PTB would have had him kill her, I think; they copped out twice in having anyone take responsibility for Elizabeth's demise--her ordering him to go and leave her in LL and then having her make the decision to go through the space gate in GITM. Both times no blame was to be laid on anyone's head. /copout

I guess it's kind of useless to speculate about Evil!Weir because such a story would have required a much larger role for Torri and so wouldn't have come about with the reality of the situation being what it was. They would have had to plan for it and that makes it hard for me to separate that from what they really did. I just regret that they had potential to do something different and didn't even consider it.
                          Agreed. I just wanted her back too, and I do think an "evil Weir" scenario, if done right, could have been very compelling and given both the cast and the fans the kind of meaty, character-driven storyline we'd all been craving.

Comment

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
                            OT......"Game of Thrones"
                            Spoiler:

I just finished the book, "Game of Thrones" last week. I haven't read book #2 or #3 yet. I don't have HBO, so I didn't see the premiere of the series last night.

How was the premiere? Anyone know how they are going to match up season 1 to book 1?

I'm looking forward to reading book #2 and #3.

I didn't know Jason was in it. That's cool. Khal Drogo is an interesting character in the book. Not a huge part in the book, but an interesting character. Of course, this is TV, I'm sure they will make several changes from book to small screen.
                            Game of Thrones:

Spoiler:
                            I read the first book because my best friend couldn't stop raving about it, and she gave it to me as a gift. But holy hell.... It's an absolute miracle that I managed to finish it cause I wasn't impressed. Not by a long shot. It was that bad that I decided not to continue the series cause I really didn't want to drag myself through Ice & Fire. Talk about boring...

But, surprisingly, I was excited about HBO's adaptation and couldn't wait for it to be on TV (or my coputer screen anyway). I more or less stayed up-to-date on the on-goings and got more and more excited as the date drew nearer.

And I can honestly say it delivered - big time. I absolutely love it! My sister thought it was a little bit too explicit in terms of nudity, blood and gore but she liked it nevertheless. She said she understood why the female characters aren't A-listers - they would never go for full nuditiy like that - except Lena Headly who plays the queen to Mark Addy's King Robert Baratheon.

The cast fits their characters, and surprisingly enough they all look just the way I envisioned them. And the dire wolves are unbelievably cute as puppies.

This is what I had to say on my LJ:

Just watched the first episode...

* blood & gore - check
                            * sex & nudity - check
                            * f-word - check

Beyond that there's also awesome music, awesome settings, awesome cinematography... Brilliant cast and the characters I favored in the book (which I thought was unbelievably boring at times and most certainly didn't make me eager to continue the rest of the tale) I definitely like in the show too - Snow, Bran, Arya, Ned & Cat, the dire wolves...

Bring on episode 2!

Winter's coming...
                            And what the book couldn't make me do in 100 years, the show does in ten minutes time - get me the next installments and continue the Song of Ice & Fire.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Game of Thrones:

Spoiler:
                              I read the first book because my best friend couldn't stop raving about it, and she gave it to me as a gift. But holy hell.... It's an absolute miracle that I managed to finish it cause I wasn't impressed. Not by a long shot. It was that bad that I decided not to continue the series cause I really didn't want to drag myself through Ice & Fire. Talk about boring...

But, surprisingly, I was excited about HBO's adaptation and couldn't wait for it to be on TV (or my coputer screen anyway). I more or less stayed up-to-date on the on-goings and got more and more excited as the date drew nearer.

And I can honestly say it delivered - big time. I absolutely love it! My sister thought it was a little bit too explicit in terms of nudity, blood and gore but she liked it nevertheless. She said she understood why the female characters aren't A-listers - they would never go for full nuditiy like that - except Lena Headly who plays the queen to Mark Addy's King Robert Baratheon.

The cast fits their characters, and surprisingly enough they all look just the way I envisioned them. And the dire wolves are unbelievably cute as puppies.

This is what I had to say on my LJ:

And what the book couldn't make me do in 100 years, the show does in ten minutes time - get me the next installments and continue the Song of Ice & Fire.
                              Mr. SR will be glad to hear this. He just read the first book and declared it boring also. We'll be waiting for Netflix though. LOL
                              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Mr. SR will be glad to hear this. He just read the first book and declared it boring also.
                                That makes three cause my sister also shares that opinion.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X