Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
    - I agree.

- So what you're saying is that you didn't steal the name of the sport. You stole the entire sport?

- As I recall, there are also moments in your game where the goalie grabs the ball with his hands and players bat the ball with their heads, which even WE aren't foolish enough to do.

And actually, 'football' came from the history of a sport being played while on your feet rather than on a horse or object, hence, why it applies to soccer (association football), rugby (rugby football) and American football. As we both run on our feet, we both are using the term it correctly.

There. We tie.
    -Thanks

-It's true.lol

-One players on a team with 11 members. It's not a big deal.lol And yes they use their head sometimes.....I don't know why it's foolish to use it. Ok Forgot it, I don't know what to answer for this one.lol

I love your explanation for the last one. BUT football is older than American football so we are the real one.lol Ok...we tie. I really don't like the word "soccer".lol

But one think that I like is your story with John and Zelenka. Like you said "You enjoy your football, and I’ll enjoy my football". I don't put the rest or we will keep doing this little war. I will add that I love rugby so I like American football.lol
    sigpic
    Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
      -Thanks

-It's true.lol

-One players on a team with 11 members. It's not a big deal.lol And yes they use their head sometimes.....I don't know why it's foolish to use it. Ok Forgot it, I don't know what to answer for this one.lol

I love your explanation for the last one. BUT football is older than American football so we are the real one.lol Ok...we tie. I really don't like the word "soccer".lol

But one think that I like is your story with John and Zelenka. Like you said "You enjoy your football, and I’ll enjoy my football". I don't put the rest or we will keep doing this little war. I will add that I love rugby so I like American football.lol
      Actually, if you're talking age I think Rugby football is the real one, because I think that's older than everything else.

We do have one player who does nothing but use his feet to make contact with the ball. (Placekicker). And two more who do it mostly (field goal kicker and punter).

I agree. Though I do like 'soccer'. I just like American football more.

*waves truce flag*
      Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Actually, if you're talking age I think Rugby football is the real one, because I think that's older than everything else.

We do have one player who does nothing but use his feet to make contact with the ball. (Placekicker). And two more who do it mostly (field goal kicker and punter).

I agree. Though I do like 'soccer'. I just like American football more.

*waves truce flag*
        You purposely use the word "soccer". This is not nice. But I'm a good girl so I will say nothing.

*waves truce flag...for the moment*lol

With talks like this, we will beat 90,000 posts in two days.lol
        sigpic

Comment

You purposely use the word "soccer". This is not nice. But I'm a good girl so I will say nothing.

*waves truce flag...for the moment*lol
          But I have to--if I use 'football' I'll confuse myself because no one refers to football as American Football except people who are not from the US. It's football. If I call soccer football we'll all get confused.

How about if I call it Futbol? That's what we call soccer in Spanish. That's a good compromise.

Comment

I'm watching the vids of JF from NZ and of course people ask about the 'kirking' thing which leads to a bit of a conversation about female characters...and I'm just so frustrated right now!!!!! Grrrrr....

here's the link to that part of the talk .... Female characters

Why does sci fi always manage to screw up the female characters!?
            My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
              It's like a foreign language isn't it? LOL *chooses not to be offended by the "real football" remark.
              It's all just good-natured banter

Yes, get vaccinated! I'm still trying to work out whether my Exercised-induced/Allergy-induced asthma is enough to warrant flu shots. It's not chronic asthma in the sense that I need a rescue inhaler, but if I get sick, it's very taxing on my lungs. I've had a flu-like illness before (2 weeks out of work!) and I don't want it again...but I don't like to take vaccines away from people who REALLY need them. I have insurance, access to good doctors and (hopefully) loving parents who would nurse me if I was ill.
              Well, if that's your only concern, I'd say don't worry about it. Because if you get vaccinated it means that you stop the spreading of the virus and thus indirectly help people that really need it but haven't gotten vaccinated. Over here the situation is mostly that nobody wants the vaccine, because they've put in a new adjuvant and everybody goes crazy about possible side effects. So, being an immunologist, I thought I should set an example. Plus I have a mouse allergy and work with mice, so I'm constantly having rhinitis. I don't need a real flu on top of that...

I feel the same way. I don't have any health problems and don't get out in crowds a lot so I'm taking my chances. I've heard about serious complications from flu shots and they scare me. I think the panic is a bit unwarranted. Everything seems to be a crisis these days.
              I thought that was just the European vaccine and the US vaccine didn't have the adjuvant?

That being said, my arm really hurts *g* But no worse than after the diphtheria vaccination. We'll see if I get a fever, too. And I feel like I'm drunk *lol*

I feel obligated to react. The "real" football is european football. In the word "football", there is the word "foot".Lol
              You play with HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              For a sport called "FOOTball" is stupid.lol
              What she said!

How about if I call it Futbol? That's what we call soccer in Spanish. That's a good compromise.
              Or Fußball!

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
                It's all just good-natured banter

Well, if that's your only concern, I'd say don't worry about it. Because if you get vaccinated it means that you stop the spreading of the virus and thus indirectly help people that really need it but haven't gotten vaccinated. Over here the situation is mostly that nobody wants the vaccine, because they've put in a new adjuvant and everybody goes crazy about possible side effects. So, being an immunologist, I thought I should set an example. Plus I have a mouse allergy and work with mice, so I'm constantly having rhinitis. I don't need a real flu on top of that...

I thought that was just the European vaccine and the US vaccine didn't have the adjuvant?

That being said, my arm really hurts *g* But no worse than after the diphtheria vaccination. We'll see if I get a fever, too. And I feel like I'm drunk *lol*

What she said!

Or Fußball!
                I don't know about the adjuvant, but every flu shot has the risk of side effects and they're always pointed out here. I think that may be what she's referring to.

Considering I just reached a truce with Probie I'm going to ignore those last two comments. *whistles*

Comment

You play with HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  For a sport called "FOOTball" is stupid.lol
                  Originally posted by drewandian View Post
                  Sometimes they have to kick the ball....

great vid find btw....
                  There ya go. I love this football argument. And no one mentioned that the actual ball is called a "football". What do they call a soccer ball?

Oh, and I wonder if Euro football players are dumb enough to play with broken bones. LOL I remember one year at Virginia Tech the engineering department was so proud of themselves. They designed a special cast so one of the football players could keep playing with a broken arm. LOL

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
                  Eri, I was teasing...I'm like that too...there are certain authors who everyone else rave about that I'm just kinda like 'eh'....(for example, Nicholas Sparks does NOTHING for me, with the exception of "A Walk to Remember" and IIRC I had a tough time getting into that book at first too, but I know lots of people who just LOVE him...)

And, yes, I'm using capitalization and punctuation....I'm even using semicolons!

I'm finding this novel a challenge, though, simply because of the genre (not the fantasy part but the young adult part)....it's alot easier to write stories like my fics where I have a lot of freedom. It's tricky, keeping it appropriate for my 10 year old niece....
                  I have a minor in English and had all that stuff drummed into my head but it didn't take very well. I can BS like nobody's business on an essay but find all the imagery ridiculous. But I love Sparks. And Cormac McCarthy. In fact I have JF to thank for The Road. He told someone about it at a con and of course I had to check it out. A very moving if extremely bleak novel. Joe should so have gotten the part of the dad. I hear it's to be a movie with Viggo.

This was good timing because today in my paper they reviewed a new novel by a very famous author who shall remain nameless but he writes about lawyers a lot. He is going for critical acclaim by writing in a more "literary" way. The bazillion books he has sold aren't well liked by the critics. The new book contains this sentence: A lonely Confederate soldier in bronze stands atop a granite statue, gazing north looking for the enemy.

The critic likes the book and says the fact that it appears to not have been edited at all gives it charm. Now I ask you, if this person wasn't already a famous author, would he ever get a book published?

I know! But I don't want anyone to think that I'm not honest in my opinions of writing. I always try to be open-minded. But there are, I guess, places everyone has to draw the line.

I feel you, though. Lately I've felt my own writing has gotten so BORING. Very Basic. I remember reading Southern Red's song-fic a few weeks back--the one set after Elizabeth's death, from the POV of a young officer--and Anuna's-post TLG fic, and being AMAZED at the imagery. Everything felt so tangible and vivid in both those pieces. SR's had this sense of touch and sight to it that put you there, listening to the conversation. And Anuna's descriptors exploded color swirls in my head, if that makes any sense. It was gorgeous, how everything was described.

I was a little depressed after reading them because I don't feel like I can capture that kind of visual description. I don't even know where to start. I generally sound flowery if I try.
                  Well now I regret what I said earlier about imagery. Thanks for the compliment. That means a lot. It just all goes to writing about what you know and using all the senses to describe something. Sometimes just talking about how something smells is better than a whole paragraph.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

There ya go. I love this football argument. And no one mentioned that the actual ball is called a "football". What do they call a soccer ball?

Oh, and I wonder if Euro football players are dumb enough to play with broken bones. LOL I remember one year at Virginia Tech the engineering department was so proud of themselves. They designed a special cast so one of the football players could keep playing with a broken arm. LOL

I have a minor in English and had all that stuff drummed into my head but it didn't take very well. I can BS like nobody's business on an essay but find all the imagery ridiculous. But I love Sparks. And Cormac McCarthy. In fact I have JF to thank for The Road. He told someone about it at a con and of course I had to check it out. A very moving if extremely bleak novel. Joe should so have gotten the part of the dad. I hear it's to be a movie with Viggo.

This was good timing because today in my paper they reviewed a new novel by a very famous author who shall remain nameless but he writes about lawyers a lot. He is going for critical acclaim by writing in a more "literary" way. The bazillion books he has sold aren't well liked by the critics. The new book contains this sentence: A lonely Confederate soldier in bronze stands atop a granite statue, gazing north looking for the enemy.

The critic likes the book and says the fact that it appears to not have been edited at all gives it charm. Now I ask you, if this person wasn't already a famous author, would he ever get a book published?

Well now I regret what I said earlier about imagery. Thanks for the compliment. That means a lot. It just all goes to writing about what you know and using all the senses to describe something. Sometimes just talking about how something smells is better than a whole paragraph.
                    Cormac McCarthy was one of those them there authors considered "Highbrow". We studied a couple of his books. Whether he is or not, I love his stuff. For the paperback we read in school, the publishing company made the cover white with a gray photo of something wide-open, western and somewhat bleak, and I always thought that was the perfect way to cover a Cormac McCarthy book.

Writing what you know--that IS the key to it, I think. Or what your soul knows, anyway. Some people's souls are tied to fantasy, others to truth.

I haven't found what mine is tied to yet. Currently it's working with SGA and pedantic sentences describing Elizabeth running around Immaria. =\

Comment

I love football... er I mean futbol! I often wondered if Zelenka is a fan of Pavel Nedved.

You know to be honest, I've always considered a more accurate expression than "European Football" is "Rest of the world except Canada Football."

It might seem weird for a Canadian to have that as his favorite sport, but I grew up abroad.
                      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                        That's it. Teer is like Edward Cullen. A mental stalker. *headdesk*
                        LMAO! So true!

So you're saying if you had John Sheppard all to yourself in a cozy little cabin, you wouldn't do anything to keep him there? She knew he'd do just what he did do if he knew his friends were coming...jump up and leave her.
                        Because he's got a true marriage of the minds with Elizabeth.

I enjoyed what I saw of the TV show (I had to watch it on Hulu and eventually I couldn't find time to watch it). I read the first book but I found the writing a little--pedantic. Lots of simple sentences.

I'm not sure if I'm going to read the rest of the stories--I'd probably have to buy them used.
                        Heh, I haven't even read any of the books, just watched the show. It's pretty good, and zomg, Richard and Kahlan are adorable.

And on LOTS. Watched it. Loved it. They are a bit Sparkyesque and just cute as buttons. I also love Zed but not that way. Ewww. I read the first book and liked it but the show is all over the place canon wise. My husband read all of them and he says the show jumps around, leaves out whole arcs and changes pretty much everything. But he likes it too.
                        Bwahahahah! *remembers that scene with Zedd nekkid with a chicken in the first episode*

Writing what you know--that IS the key to it, I think. Or what your soul knows, anyway. Some people's souls are tied to fantasy, others to truth.

I haven't found what mine is tied to yet. Currently it's working with SGA and pedantic sentences describing Elizabeth running around Immaria. =\
                        Absolutely. Mine is... a bit of both, I think. It seems to go in one direction or another depending on what the story needs at that particular moment.

Lizzie running around Immaria... and hopefully rescued soon!
                        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
                          What she said!
                          Thank you!

Considering I just reached a truce with Probie I'm going to ignore those last two comments. *whistles*
                          Excellent.
                          You can call football "futbol" or "real futbol".lol No it's not a provocation.lol

soccer ball= football.
                          This is a provocation huh? *start to burn the truce flag*LOL

No they don't play with broken bones. They are pay 150000 euro per minute so the coach don't want to take the risk to loose a good player.
                          American football is violent; European football is strategy. I'm kidding. Don't start with "American football is strategy and european footbal is for girls."lol

Can someone (maybe Drew) tell me what Joe said during the vid?
                          sigpic

Comment

Thank you!

Excellent.
                            You can call football "futbol" or "real futbol".lol No it's not a provocation.lol

soccer ball= football.

No they don't play with broken bones. They are pay 150000 euro per minute so the coach don't want to take the risk to loose a good player.
                            American football is violent; European football is strategy. I'm kidding. Don't start with "American football is strategy and european footbal is for girls."lol

Basically he says something along the lines of wanting a strong female character opposite him, to go 'toe to toe' with Sheppard (he references an old show called "Moonlighting" which did that kind of relationship really well).

I got frustrated because, um, well, they HAD that and then they went and screwed it all up!
                            My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                            sigpic

Comment

He was referring to the creation of the Larrin character wasn't he? To be honest I didn't think that character worked out was well as she could have. Their whole dynamic seemed a little too childish.

You guys bring up Teer, personally I thought she was the best of Sheppard's "one shot" love interests characters. Because they actually did know each other for months.
                              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                                I love football... er I mean futbol! I often wondered if Zelenka is a fan of Pavel Nedved.

You know to be honest, I've always considered a more accurate expression than "European Football" is "Rest of the world except Canada Football."

It might seem weird for a Canadian to have that as his favorite sport, but I grew up abroad.
                                What IS Canada's favorite sport? I hear the eternal jokes about Canadian football, of course, but some of my friends from Canada were actually big baseball fans. Is it hockey?

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                                Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

LMAO! So true!

because he's got a true marriage of the minds with Elizabeth.

Heh, I haven't even read any of the books, just watched the show. It's pretty good, and zomg, Richard and Kahlan are adorable.

Bwahahahah! *remembers that scene with Zedd nekkid with a chicken in the first episode*

Absolutely. Mine is... a bit of both, I think. It seems to go in one direction or another depending on what the story needs at that particular moment.

Lizzie running around Immaria... and hopefully rescued soon!
                                - Yay! Marriage of the Minds! English majors for the win! \o/

- Zed in the book wasn't quite as creepy with the nekkid thing and the chicken. He reminded me a little more of a silly old wizard than a morose old wizard.

- Mebbe. Or mebbe she's going to get beaten some more *wicked smile*.

Whatever she does, she's going to be doing it pedantically. =\

That's my word of the day, in case you can't tell.

Thank you!

Excellent.

soccer ball= football.

*starts to burn the truce flag*

Uh, for the record I'm always hearing about fights breaking out in SOCCER. We do tackle, but all of that is centered around strategy.

I think soccer players get paid 150,000 Euros per minute to model with their shirts off. And I have no problem with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X