Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by drewandian View Post
    Basically he says something along the lines of wanting a strong female character opposite him, to go 'toe to toe' with Sheppard (he references an old show called "Moonlighting" which did that kind of relationship really well).

    I got frustrated because, um, well, they HAD that and then they went and screwed it all up!
    SK you need to watch that section of the Joe con vid before tomorrow. He is basically referring to that question you are going to ask him. And I think I heard him say something about women characters getting killed off. He seems to remember the remark and might want to expand on it. *goes back to ironing curtains*

    OT
    Spoiler:
    Yesterday I took down all the curtains in our family room. They are unbleached muslim and I wash them once a year. Hubby came in, saw one of the wooden curtain rods lying on the hearth and said "what is this stick doing here?" I kid you not. He did not notice all the curtains gone and the sun streaming in through bare windows.
    sigpic

    Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

    Comment


      Originally posted by drewandian View Post
      Basically he says something along the lines of wanting a strong female character opposite him, to go 'toe to toe' with Sheppard (he references an old show called "Moonlighting" which did that kind of relationship really well).

      I got frustrated because, um, well, they HAD that and then they went and screwed it all up!
      Argh! Which Joe said that? Mallozzi? I so agree with you. And who does he praise as this character? That stupid "I'm just a hot babe for the male viewers between 9 and 14 and I'll go and tie up Sheppard-Babe?". I don't even remember her name. *grrr*

      *goes to watch Hot Zone* Now that's what I call strong opposing characters!

      Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

      Comment


        Originally posted by drewandian View Post
        Basically he says something along the lines of wanting a strong female character opposite him, to go 'toe to toe' with Sheppard (he references an old show called "Moonlighting" which did that kind of relationship really well).

        I got frustrated because, um, well, they HAD that and then they went and screwed it all up!
        I think his comment of Larrin being the strong female character opposite John came separately from Moonlighting comment, but I may be mistaken. However, they DID have a strong, in fact VERY strong female character opposite him for three seasons, and the most interesting thing was that John didn't feel threatened or lessened by her. They were true equals, and no other female character on SGA was quite like that with Sheppard.

        Fail, PTB. So much fail.
        I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

        Comment


          Originally posted by drewandian View Post
          Basically he says something along the lines of wanting a strong female character opposite him, to go 'toe to toe' with Sheppard (he references an old show called "Moonlighting" which did that kind of relationship really well).

          I got frustrated because, um, well, they HAD that and then they went and screwed it all up!
          Moonlighting is the gold standard for UST. Everyone references it in regards to shipping. Apparently Joe does too.

          He had a strong female character opposite, but the dynamic between he and Weir wasn't toe-to-toe so to speak, it was more friendly. Though, as Hot Zone indicates, they could totally have gone down that road.

          Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
          He was referring to the creation of the Larrin character wasn't he? To be honest I didn't think that character worked out was well as she could have. Their whole dynamic seemed a little too childish.

          You guys bring up Teer, personally I thought she was the best of Sheppard's "one shot" love interests characters. Because they actually did know each other for months.
          I agree. I don't have much of a problem with Teer. Poor guy was lonely and he had a lot of time to know her. And she did leave him to Ascend, so it's not like she was following him around all the time.

          In fact, she was just using him for his body and his ability to fight electo-transparent beasts.
          Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

          Comment


            I agree with Anuna....epic fail by tptb...

            there was a TON of potential for that toe-to-toe dynamic between Sheppard and Weir and they totally dropped the ball on it. I feel like they're almost afraid to let the "leaders" disagree....like the 'kids' will be upset if 'mom and dad' fight.

            And..."Moonlighting" was amazing when it came to the UST ship thing...I watched that show religiously when I was in high school....it's probably the reason I can't help but ship now (no matter how much I fight it)

            SR
            Spoiler:
            that's a man for you! my hubby wouldn't have noticed either!
            My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
            sigpic

            Comment


              Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
              I love football... er I mean futbol! I often wondered if Zelenka is a fan of Pavel Nedved.

              You know to be honest, I've always considered a more accurate expression than "European Football" is "Rest of the world except Canada Football."

              It might seem weird for a Canadian to have that as his favorite sport, but I grew up abroad.
              I'm sure he's a fan of Pavel Nedved. He's great player but he stopped football this year.

              Originally posted by drewandian View Post
              Basically he says something along the lines of wanting a strong female character opposite him, to go 'toe to toe' with Sheppard (he references an old show called "Moonlighting" which did that kind of relationship really well).

              I got frustrated because, um, well, they HAD that and then they went and screwed it all up!
              Thank you.
              Moonlighting is the show with Bruce Willis no?
              Yes they had a strong female character but they didn't see it.

              Originally posted by Eri13 View Post

              *starts to burn the truce flag*



              Uh, for the record I'm always hearing about fights breaking out in SOCCER. We do tackle, but all of that is centered around strategy.

              I think soccer players get paid 150,000 Euros per minute to model with their shirts off. And I have no problem with that.
              Ok Eri, I started to re-like you but now....I can't find my words. My heart is broken.

              *starts to jump on the truce flag, takes her stuff and goes to the sheyla thread because she wants new friends.*lol

              But before, I want to say that I agree with you about Teer.
              sigpic
              Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

              Comment


                Originally posted by drewandian View Post
                I agree with Anuna....epic fail by tptb...

                there was a TON of potential for that toe-to-toe dynamic between Sheppard and Weir and they totally dropped the ball on it. I feel like they're almost afraid to let the "leaders" disagree....like the 'kids' will be upset if 'mom and dad' fight.

                And..."Moonlighting" was amazing when it came to the UST ship thing...I watched that show religiously when I was in high school....it's probably the reason I can't help but ship now (no matter how much I fight it)

                SR
                Spoiler:
                that's a man for you! my hubby wouldn't have noticed either!
                I was conditioned to be a shipper by the X-files...

                I think they should have expanded the phase around Hot Zone and have kept them in these opposing positions for at least half a season. Because it had a lot of potential.

                It kind of reminds me of Roslin/Adama in the beginning of BSG when she starts the mutiny. Of course she is a religious fanatic, but I still really loved that. (And don't get me wrong, I really like Roslin as a character despite her faults.)

                Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                  What IS Canada's favorite sport? I hear the eternal jokes about Canadian football, of course, but some of my friends from Canada were actually big baseball fans. Is it hockey?
                  That would be Hockey. I'm fairly sure. It occurred to me since I moved here maybe I should try to be a hockey fan. Maybe they'll disqualify me as a Canadian or something otherwise. Growing up in the Middle East, which doesn't really have a big Hockey following, didn't exactly give me a lot of exposure to most North American sports.
                  Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 06 November 2009, 09:45 AM.
                  "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

                  *You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

                  "Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

                  "Elizabeth..."

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Probie View Post
                    I'm sure he's a fan of Pavel Nedved. He's great player but he stopped football this year.

                    Thank you.
                    Moonlighting is the show with Bruce Willis no?
                    Yes they had a strong female character but they didn't see it.

                    Ok Eri, I started to re-like you but now....I can't find my words. My heart is broken.

                    *starts to jump on the truce flag, takes her stuff and goes to the sheyla thread because she wants new friends.*lol

                    But before, I want to say that I agree with you about Teer.
                    Well go on, go on! I see how it goes, one person disagrees with you and you jump ship.

                    Elizabeth is displeased with you



                    And here I was all learning French as I commute so I could speak with you. I've learned how to say 'My car is fast', 'that's a highway', 'I see a big truck' and 'How are you?'

                    Guess I'll have to stop now.

                    Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
                    I was conditioned to be a shipper by the X-files...

                    I think they should have expanded the phase around Hot Zone and have kept them in these opposing positions for at least half a season. Because it had a lot of potential.

                    It kind of reminds me of Roslin/Adama in the beginning of BSG when she starts the mutiny. Of course she is a religious fanatic, but I still really loved that. (And don't get me wrong, I really like Roslin as a character despite her faults.)
                    I want to say they tried to go that route--but Torri and Joe just couldn't pull it off. The chemistry was too good. When that argument in Rising got resolved so well, it was hard to see them as constantly antagonistic.

                    John is not a long-term 'fighter' cuz he's really not a jerk. It would be hard for me to see him knocking heads with anyone except people who antagonize him. And Elizabeth, being a diplomat, is automatically not programmed to be an antagonist, so...

                    Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                    That would be Hockey. I'm fairly sure. It occurred to me since I moved here maybe I should try to be a hockey fan. Maybe they'll disqualify me as a Canadian or something otherwise. Growing up in the Middle East, which doesn't really have a big Hockey following, didn't exactly give me a lot exposure to most pro North American sports.
                    I'm the same way. My Dad's a big hockey fan, but it's not a part of Southern culture. We have teams, but not a big following.

                    However, it may all be relative. NASCAR is a huge part of Southern culture, and I don't watch that, either.
                    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

                    Comment


                      On Roslin. So many people adore her and I don't get it at all. Yes, she is a capable leader and a damn good politician, but she's a biotch and that's it. I appreciated her, but never got to really like her, like I do Elizabeth, so I never really cared for Roslin/Adama - among all the aspects of BSG, Roslin/Adama was like "yeah... whatever".
                      I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                        I want to say they tried to go that route--but Torri and Joe just couldn't pull it off. The chemistry was too good. When that argument in Rising got resolved so well, it was hard to see them as constantly antagonistic.
                        Hm, but they did it so well in Hot Zone!

                        Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                          I want to say they tried to go that route--but Torri and Joe just couldn't pull it off. The chemistry was too good. When that argument in Rising got resolved so well, it was hard to see them as constantly antagonistic.

                          John is not a long-term 'fighter' cuz he's really not a jerk. It would be hard for me to see him knocking heads with anyone except people who antagonize him. And Elizabeth, being a diplomat, is automatically not programmed to be an antagonist, so...
                          I see your point about both characters' personalities....
                          but I still feel like there was a lot of untapped potential and don't think they fully explored that aspect of the relationship at all...

                          That would be my gripe with Stargate on a whole though...with the exception of Jack and Daniel, no one every really puts up much of a fight ever...it's like they all agree and go off and fight the bad guys and everyone's happy at the end of the day...almost like tptb were afraid of antagonistic tension....
                          My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
                            Hm, but they did it so well in Hot Zone!
                            They sizzled in Hot Zone, but sort of at the expense of John being a slight jerk and overriding her authority because he thought he knew best.

                            I didn't like him in HZ; I wanted to smack him upside the head. He pulled rank and 'military superiority' over her, which is what Everett, Caldwell and Ellis subsequently did. Me no likey.

                            But she doesn't forgive easily--he had to go and essentially blow himself up to win back her approval.

                            I can't think of how they could have been antagonistic with each other long term without costing us the characters that we like so well. I think John would have had had to be slightly obnoxious or Elizabeth a witch.

                            If someone else has ideas, let me know. Could be a fun plot bunny.
                            Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                              Well go on, go on! I see how it goes, one person disagrees with you and you jump ship.

                              Elizabeth is displeased with you



                              And here I was all learning French as I commute so I could speak with you. I've learned how to say 'My car is fast', 'that's a highway', 'I see a big truck' and 'How are you?'

                              Guess I'll have to stop now.
                              *runs and jumps in Eri's arms*

                              I can't leave this thread because I LOVE IT. I LOVE SPARKY!!!!
                              And because I like my Sparky friends. Yes even you, SK. Even if you don't let me go at the convention with you. And to be honest, the look of Elizabeth scared me.lol
                              Don't stop to learn french. One day, everybody on this thread will speak in french. No? Ok I know it's a dream. I will be happy to speak with you in french. I could stop asking me if my English is good or if my sentence makes sense.
                              For your question: Oui je vais bien. Je suis toute heureuse aujourd'hui.

                              I'm a little excited today and I talk a lot so If you want I can stop.lol
                              sigpic
                              Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                                On Roslin. So many people adore her and I don't get it at all. Yes, she is a capable leader and a damn good politician, but she's a biotch and that's it. I appreciated her, but never got to really like her, like I do Elizabeth, so I never really cared for Roslin/Adama - among all the aspects of BSG, Roslin/Adama was like "yeah... whatever".
                                I never bothered watching BSG, wasn't ever really interested....

                                But...as much as I love Elizabeth, there are a few moments in Season 2 where I kinda went "um...hmmm...wait a minute" and kinda questioned the direction she was headed in. Moral issues that just kinda made me kinda stop for a minute and think.... (and made me wish I could do the 'eyebrow raise' thing....)
                                My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X