Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scarimor
    Spoiler:
    I liked it when geek!Sam said she was attracted to Daniel. I was a bit disappointed when she went back on it
    I liked that moment, too. And as I said in a previous post, I was s/j at the time. So even then I was upset that she went back on it.
    The really disturbing thing is, this is me on a GOOD day.

Comment

Cause I can't get enough of Sam doing this:
      to Jack.

sigpic
      I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        Spoiler:
        Would a dork-verse OT3 fix that? Because I know of a fic...
        I think I know of the one you mean. I believe it's by Jengis Khan?
        The really disturbing thing is, this is me on a GOOD day.

Comment

Originally posted by fishyone

But Amanda did act the AU Sam very well in my opinion. I like the geek walk she does.
          yeah. AT was great in that episode. shes fab. i like geeky sam and i liked that in moebius. i like that we get to see different sides to sam, geeky sam, soldier sam, saving the world sam

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
            Cause I can't get enough of Sam doing this:
            to Jack.

so true

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
              We have to ask ourselves: Why are we putting substantially more pressure on female characters than on males?

I honestly think it's because male characters have always been a dime a dozen. It's their inherent expendability and interchangeability that perhaps means their place on the food chain isn't quite as at risk as a woman's, their worth is not in question. If you have to really search to find a good female character in a cast, and it looks like she's there to provide the demographic grabber and/or the love interest, that means there's at least 1000% more pressure on the actor who plays her to make that character count, to give her depth, to fight for the integrity of that character, so she can move beyond that creative rut.
              I can not green, therefore I quote the most green-worthy insights of the post and salute!

and offer green jelly

oh, and blue!
              scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                It's funny, I never questioned that she was going back for him (to either save him or kill him, but I always thought the former). The first time I saw that episode, I never considered she might not have had that intention. So I'm pretty sure it was the intended implication the writers had going. Because I wasn't analyzing back then (as I do now), and it was my "average viewer" POV. That "don't leave anyone behind" schtick.
                see, and originally i interpreted it simply as 'someone has to blow the shields' and running into jack was incidental.

later i had the thought that she had the idea of either rescuing or terminating him

and still later i wondered 'damn, makepeace might be pissed if he ever finds out how close she came to screwing up her mission to rescue jack'

simple math, good of the many. if sam was cold and calculating, she should have noted jack's position, blew the shield then went back for jack, thus insuring the most lives saved as possible.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  simple math, good of the many. if sam was cold and calculating, she should have noted jack's position, blew the shield then went back for jack, thus insuring the most lives saved as possible.
                  Yep, I know. Which is why I thought that scene was such a great one for Sam overall, character-wise. She wasn't thinking entirely with her rational head. She was thinking with her heart (no shipper innuendo meant here), she wasn't about to leave one of her own behind, and the sheild excuse was a cover-up she thought of to make good on her plan (it was incidentally a great idea, but I think rescuing her team-mate was the reason she came up with it, and not the other way around).

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                  ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Yep, I know. Which is why I thought that scene was such a great one for Sam overall, character-wise. She wasn't thinking entirely with her rational head. She was thinking with her heart (no shipper innuendo meant here), she wasn't about to leave one of her own behind, and the sheild excuse was a cover-up she thought of to make good on her plan (it was incidentally a great idea, but I think rescuing her team-mate was the reason she came up with it, and not the other way around).
                    I like that while it mightn't have been the soundest military decision, it was a very human choice.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                      I like that while it mightn't have been the soundest military decision, it was a very human choice.
                      Sam's military/command training has always been something she's grappled with in juxtaposition with her scientific (and human) side. That's part of what makes her character compelling to me. She doesn't always know whether she should make the military decision, or the human decision, or the scientific decision.

Following Jack around, she never really had to make many of those choices because he was in the leadership role anyway. When she was on her own (as in the aforementioned episode) and of course once she took her own command, she DID have to make those choices and she grappled with them. That made her all the more interesting (to me).

I read a piece of fanfiction recently (Rebecca Ratliff's Gates of War Series) where the author has Jack say something SO GREAT to Sam with respect to her learship role within SG-1. She had been discussing with him a decision she'd made. One that she felt she shouldn't have made, in hindsight. Because she was trying to be fair, and (in hindsight) she felt she should have been less fair and more calculating.

Jack (being Jack) says this to her:

"Sam, when you get out there--you can't afford to be fair and open
                      minded. You got Daniel for that. Trust me, he'll keep you on the straight
                      and narrow. But if he isn't preaching at you and annoying the crap out of
                      you, you're doing something wrong. *You* need to be the most suspicious,
                      mistrustful cynical ***** you can. There are zillions of ways things can
                      go right, but when it's your mission, you gotta be on the lookout for the
                      ways they could go wrong and kill all three of you.
                      You have to think
                      about worst-case scenarios when it comes to making command decisions."
                      I loved that, because it made ME think about all the ways Sam would have to be different than, well, Sam. How being a leader would necessarily change her, in the eyes of her friends as well as those under her command.

It's a neat topic to kick around, isn't it?

geek

Comment

<snip>

I loved that, because it made ME think about all the ways Sam would have to be different than, well, Sam. How being a leader would necessarily change her, in the eyes of her friends as well as those under her command.

geek
                        I think we have already seen Sam have to make this type of decision. In IGTBK they were looking for the Ancinet's time ship, the scientist in her wanted to find the ship, but the commander in her had her call off the search because it was getting too dangerous.
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

geek
                          I think that we did see a change in Sam after she took command; she was in a position where she needed to be able to see the big picture rather than concentrating on her scientific interests. I think that she really rose to the challenge as far as leading SG-1 went but it was in "It's Good To Be The King" that it was noticeable.

Comment

Yes, precisely. And that's what I think is so neat about the topic. Her character changed, necessarily, and that fact is a neat thing to watch and to build on (in fanfiction and in discussion). By extrapolation of concept, we can also infer that there's more to Jack (the "not a team leader" version of him) than we ever saw, too.

Comment

I read a piece of fanfiction recently (Rebecca Ratliff's Gates of War Series) where the author has Jack say something SO GREAT to Sam with respect to her learship role within SG-1. She had been discussing with him a decision she'd made. One that she felt she shouldn't have made, in hindsight. Because she was trying to be fair, and (in hindsight) she felt she should have been less fair and more calculating.
                              Have you a link to the story?

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                                Have you a link to the story?
                                http://sgnovels.shahrazad.net/storie...fwarseries.txt

-

EDIT: POST 1600 baby!!

Comment

Working...
                                X