X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
    Spoiler:
    I adore FunnyHat!Sam
    Damn, just my luck I haven't really been able to get internet access( other than leeching wifi @ 1mbps ) and no Sci-Fi since I went on vacation last wednesday. So I missed FunnyHat Sam. Hopefully tivo worked properly and I'll see it when I get home on the 6th. I have to say staying with relatives is nice in that you save money on hotels, but there are days when it's nice to finally stay at a hotel that has free wifi even if it's only long enough to read your email and a few posts on SAGC.

Hope everyone is doing well. Oh! And before I forget...

Happy Birthday Amanda!!!

Comment

Happy Birthday
      Amanda!!
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
        Really...how come it says it in GW..I feel like such a ditz...so when is it her birthday?? Did I miss anyone elses? Dang...this day just keeps on getting...bizarre...I took the car thru the car wash and forgot to turn off the radio so my arial got bent...then an account to which I deposit the rent got closed without notice...then I nearly ran out of petrol...poor car copped it bad today...then I had a...disagreement...with my best buddy...then that spread over to my other best buddy...then I couldn't get into GW...then I burnt the dinner...you gotta love Mondays...I need another beer!!...and after all that...I'm still smiling...and no..it's not the beer...well at least I don't think it is!!!!
        Oops....sorry bout that little rant...fingers got a bit carried away!!

EDIT: I took it away...is that alright...I wouldn't want to post it if it's not her real birthday!!
        Poor Chelledb! Your Monday sounds like my Monday from last week! Isn't it nice to come here and unwind and talk about your favorite show (and actress) after such a bad day?

To stay on topic, I hope Amanda's Monday is going better since its her birthday. I wonder if she'll be making a statement about the cancellation any time soon. Hopefully, she'll give us a hint about her future plans.

Comment

Happy Birthday
          AMANDA!!
          sigpic

Comment

Happy Birthday Amanda

Here a few things for you to enjoy your birthday

Sorry guys only available in Canada

And a few Canadian pics....

And I couldn't forget your British background I wanted to get you some jaffacakes, but they aren't available here so I got the closest thing I could find

Spoiler:

Ah, but I guess you see these ones all the time
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              she does get the balance right. she's a girl without the 'oh, i broke a nail, carry me home jack' wishy-washyness. but she's also a leader without falling into the 'me female leader, me butch' trap.

she's just nice and normal. This from the point of view of a woman who's worked in a lot of male dominated fields. you dont' get thier respect by playing the gender card. you don't get it by playing the flirt card or by using your gender as an excuse. you get it by doing your job and not expecting special treatment

which is just what sam is
              And that is why Sam is an excellent rolemodel! By playing a character like Sam, Amanda has put herself into a wonderful position to empower young women. My daughter completely adores both the Sam character and Amanda herself. She's only eight, so I am very careful about what she watches on t.v. I want her to see that being a woman is a wonderful thing and that she can do anything her twin brother can do. When she sees Sam blow up a sun (or otherwise save the day), she sees that women and men are truly equal. In the entertainment industry, women are often just love interests for the male hero. I know there are some other positive examples, but not many. Even if an actress plays a heroine type role, her personal life is often a mess and covered by the tabloids. Amanda is different. She plays a wonderful character, and she is still grounded and genuine with her fans. She's also a wife and mother. She is proof that you can have it all.

Comment

Its my birthday today

Comment

Happy Birthday Deano
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Happy Birthday Deano!

The new winner is Sam for favorite SG1 character in the Fun and Games Section. What a great birthday gift! Is Amanda still number 1 at Celeeb?

Comment

Best Bday present ever

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEANO

Comment

Thanx all

Comment

Happy Birthday Deano!

ICAM gate gal... my favourite tv characters are all women who get things done, rather than lounge around in a sexy outfit waiting for the lead man to get home...

There's Sam, who is quite obviously Sam! Blows up suns, saves the planet repeatedly, all that good stuff.

Scully in the X-Files... I always found it ironic that the show presented such a strong, independent female star while paying Gillian less than David... I love Scully because she's not perfect; she's flawed like any other person, but she's smart, strong and she doesn't need Mulder to bail her out of problem situations. In fact she usually saves his six from some sort of trouble!

Mac from JAG. Again, not perfect, but she's got heaps of common sense and she's tough as nails.

Captain Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager.

I think that younger girls need role models like these women, but sadly they don't appear in shows suitable for children most of the time. Out of all the shows I've mentioned, Stargate is the only one I'd show to a young child, and not even every episode at that.

The shows that I grew up watching didn't teach me that women could be smart and strong and stand on their own two feet. Basically I resorted to being a tomboy as a kid, because the presented image of 'girls' my age didn't allow for me to have the kind of traits that I wanted; adventurous, inventive, strong, smart, independent. It was easier to be a tomboy and act like one of the guys than to be a girl who wasn't a 'proper girl' i.e didn't play with dolls or want to dress in pink and play princess all day. Children aren't given the message that it's ok to be both! I think that's terribly sad... girls have to get through their teenage years and struggle through a load of media induced misconceptions about their weight, beauty and value as an individual and not half of a couple... then and only then can they actually figure out that they are a valuable, strong person.

I think it's incredibly important to have more female role models like Sam and Scully out there, showing that women aren't just designed to trot meekly behind the hero and come in handy when bait is needed for the over-lusting villain of the story... they are *equal* in ability to any man and they don't need to prove that to themselves or anyone else...

[/femenist rant]

Sorry... aheh... a subject I'm a bit wordy about I guess....

Comment

Happy Birthday, Amanda!

Thanks for ten years of Sam.

Comment

myblackrose, I can't wait until she is old enough for Xfiles, so she can see another positive role model. You are also right about not all episodes of Stargate not being appropriate. I made the mistake of letting her watch Chimera, forgetting how long the bedroom scene was, and she had to close her eyes for the entire scene. It did open up a good beginning dialogue between us about the subject, so I guess I'll have to thank Stargate for that as well.

To stay on topic:
                                I wonder if Amanda realizes how many teeny boppers look up to her. My daughter used to love Hillary Duff, but Amanda has completely replaced her now.

Comment

Working...
                                X