Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chocdoc
    I vote for ITLOD as well, and Mandysg1 gave the similar reasons that I have. I also wanted to vote for Secrets because that begins the Sam/Jacob relationship that I adored in the show, but I think the Jolinar event was incredibly important in terms of an important scifi story arc for Sam in the show. It leads to other important events that happen in the future for Sam (including affecting her relationship with her father).
    Sniff. I'm getting sad...I think I'm the only one who voted for my beloved 'A Matter of Time'.

I know I said I was going to bed, I so lied.

But I do have a point aside from whining about my favorite episode. I think it says so much about how great a character Sam is that there are SO many episodes to choose from. And that people are having to deliberate so much to choose just one. God knows how much trouble I had with season 1. (Season two was much easier, as I rank AMOT up among my favorite of all episodes.) So-GO SAM!!!!!! It's great to have a character that is so good that it's just so hard to pick a 'best' episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
      Good question. I shall answer this, then off to bed.

I voted for A Matter of Time. I LOVED Sam in this episode.
      • We got to see in full problem-solving mode. We got to watch how her mind works SO much faster than everyone else around her.
      • We got to see a bit of her fault-that she sometimes lets Science blind her to other things. And we got to watch the great expression on her face when Jack snapped at her, reminding her of the people side. Great bit of acting by AT.
      • We got to see Sam explaining science via food. First it was with the apple with Jack, then with the donut with Hammond. Cute.
      • We got to hear Jack say "She's way smarter than us."
      • Sam solved the problem, saved the day, and DID NOT stay upstairs where it was safe-even though she could have leftafter she calibrated the bomb-it didn't appear that even crossed her mind, even as she was ordering others out.
      • I love this episode for non-Sam reasons too. I love the visuals in this episode. I love the scene in the gateroom with the smoke spiraling toward the gate, I love Sam standing at the end of the ramp and holding her dogtags out and watching them be pulled into the gate.
      • Love the concern Sam, Jack, and Teal'c all show for one another through the episode. And Sam finding the 'silver lining' to Earth possibly being destroyed as "Well, at least Daniel will live."
      • I like the Teal'c and Sam interactions up on the surface-just being friends, and Teal'c just being there for her.
      • I'll admit it-I have a soft spot for Major Davis. <G>

I like making lists.
      Wonderful post, Deejay!

I also liked the donut-science explanation. (Hey, I have to explain science 5 days a week to college freshmen who are decidedly non-science majors... I'd use a donut if it would work!!!)

Comment

Sniff. I'm getting sad...I think I'm the only one who voted for my beloved 'A Matter of Time'.

I know I said I was going to bed, I so lied.

But I do have a point aside from whining about my favorite episode. I think it says so much about how great a character Sam is that there are SO many episodes to choose from. And that people are having to deliberate so much to choose just one. God knows how much trouble I had with season 1. (Season two was much easier, as I rank AMOT up among my favorite of all episodes.) So-GO SAM!!!!!! It's great to have a character that is so good that it's just so hard to pick a 'best' episode.
        I did! ...i think...darn rusty memory HD...:headrattle: but i agree. waaaaaaay too many to choose from. AT is obviously trying to torture us into abandoning all hope of picking or favorite eps. darn her.
        sigpic
        "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
        Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
          Wait a second.

Hold on.

Everybody take a deep breath.

In good air. Out bad air.

OK, look. I see what AD is saying, totally. I see what Coley (et al) is saying. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. There's a blurred line here.

Correct me if I'm crazy but here goes.

1. This is generally the POSITIVE Sam Carter thread. (check)

2. This thread is for any and all posts about Sam Carter which may occasionally contain tangential content, so long as the post and the tangential content is related in some way to Sam Carter, the tangent is fair game. (check)

3. Posts SOLELY about anti-season (whatever) or SOLELY about anti or pro (Vala, Cam, RCC, whomever) are completely OT and should not end up here. (check)

4. Posts related to a negative (OR) positive feeling about season (whatever), or about character (whatever) which have a specific relationship to the the SAM CARTER character, ARE NOT OT (whether negative or positive), and have every right to end up here vis-a-vis their relation to Sam Carter. (check)

Ergo...

1. A PRO or CON commentary about RCC's quote and its potential imact on Carter's character as a piece of season (whatever) as a whole should be fine.

2. A PRO or CON commentary about RCC's quote and Vala and Cam and their relationship to Carter's character as a portion of season (whatever) as a whole should be fine.

3. A PRO or CON commentary about RCC's quote and (whatever else) which is NOT specifically related to the Sam Carter character, is not on topic, is not fine, and has no place in this thread.

Broader Scope:

A PRO or CON commentary about ANYTHING SG-1 related with a relationship to the Sam Carter character is fair game (including frustration with current season or writing for said character and/or joy and love for same)

A PRO or CON commentary about anything NOT RELATED to Sam Carter's character is NOT fair game and should go in another thread (including frustration with current season or writing in general for the show and/or joy or love for same - or for any OTHER character other than Sam, without relating that post, in some way, to Sam).

So... problem? I see no problem. We stick to the program, we all keep smilin' - no agendas, no censorship, no argument unrelated to topic. We stick to Sam Carter, whatever our related tangent, we stay happy Samandans ... no?

All we may need now is a little bit of impartial moderation to keep things ona Sam Carter track for a bit, methinks. Given everyone is guilty of the OT monster from time to time. There ain't no such thing as a topic-saint among us.

Sam Carter thread. Sam Carter discission. In every post. It ain't there, it ain't a Sam Carter post. C'est ca!
          It's all good. Isn't it?

-
          Wow! Very impressive post, minigeek!

Comment

you're not

i won't say how many votes it has, because i don't want to influence anything, but i will say that it has more than one

of course, so do two more eps
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
              Originally posted by Lys
              Spoiler:
              And here's something about one of Lys' pics that I've been meaning to ask folks:Now, doesn't AT look just like Lucille Ball in that photo?

That photo just makes me laugh!
              rofl, that photo makes me laugh too, because it reminds me of a little kid who's just eaten brussel sprouts or something

Another amusing 'LittleKid!Sam' moment, is in Singularity when SG1 are tagging the dead bodies on Hanka and Cassie is watching them from behind the trees. Sam says something like: 'Colonel! There's someone behind teh bushes and they wont come out!' They way AT says it, it sounds so much like a little kid complaining to their dad

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                -A Matter of Time:

Spoiler:
                you are currently looking at the only woman in the world that can look THAT serious while holding a donut in front of a 2 star air force general.

you are also currently looking at the only actress on the world that can act said scene.
                ...not that i want to influence anyone on anything...
                sigpic
                "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

One of the things I love about Sam is that she's without question, incredibly intelligent and strong and compassionate...but also she's fallible.

She makes mondo mistakes just like the rest of us. She has areas of her life where she excels and other parts of her life where she, well, has issues...but through it all she doesn't grovel. She doesn't stew in the choices that she makes, good or bad.

That doesn't mean she doesn't second guess herself or that she doesn't acknowledge her mistakes or feel bad about them...but she does not allow herself the chance to wallow. She gets up, brushes herself off and endeavors to not make the same mistake again. She learns from her mistakes but doesn't dwell on them.

The first instance of her "messing up" has to be Solitudes. She was angry with herself for not getting Jack home. He was torn up physically and she felt like she let him down by not coming through. (Of course I always wondered why not try more than one address, but then that would have ended the story before it began).

I loved her anger and her passion. She was determined to get things to work out to the point of falling apart by over working herself. She knew there was a simple solution but at the same time was just too tired and worn out to think beyond the obvious.

What other examples can you think of Sam messing up and kicking herself? It's one of my favorite attributes of her character because it shows she's not perfect after all...but she is a heroine none the less because she doesn't allow herself to wallow in self pity.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../2X105F004.jpg
                    And here's something about one of Lys' pics that I've been meaning to ask folks:Now, doesn't AT look just like Lucille Ball in that photo?

That photo just makes me laugh!
                    Actually that's the face I make when I see a bug
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      What other examples can you think of Sam messing up and kicking herself? It's one of my favorite attributes of her character because it shows she's not perfect after all...but she is a heroine none the less because she doesn't allow herself to wallow in self pity.
                      red sky. she messed up BIG that time.

and, while i do think the writers wussed out in forcing a happy ending, she did acknowledge that she made a mistake
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        you're not

i won't say how many votes it has, because i don't want to influence anything, but i will say that it has more than one

of course, so do two more eps
                        <---- Deejay beaming at Sky and Paradox Realities for letting her know that she's not the only one who sees what a jewel AMOT is.

<-----Deejay realizing that talking about herself in the third person means she really, really should go to bed.

<----- Deejay killing the computer so she can go to sleep.

Comment

I voted for A Matter of Time. I LOVED Sam in this episode.

Sam solved the problem, saved the day, and DID NOT stay upstairs where it was safe-even though she could have leftafter she calibrated the bomb-it didn't appear that even crossed her mind, even as she was ordering others out.
                          Sam was ordering people about? SOLD!

We got to see a bit of her fault-that she sometimes lets Science blind her to other things.
                          Except... no. I don't really agree, but, I'm not sure I want to post my rationale... cuz I've only ever told it to one other person and I'm not sure I was all that convincing.

I'll admit it-I have a soft spot for Major Davis. <G>
                          Mjr Davis doesn't get enough respect.

I like making lists.
                          Me too! And I also like not following thru on them. Except when I hate it.

Honestly, I love A Matter of Time as well. Now I have to rethink whether I want to submit that ITLOD vote. Great, more equivocating.

Comment

Spoiler:

Sam:So you see General, the donut hole, or the hole in the donut isn't necessarily a hole as it is an absence of the donut, and by the way the only part of said donut thatTPTB will actually let me eat
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by &#220;berSG-1Fan
                              Well, right off the top of my head, there is Meridian (written by RCC ). Sam offers to try and help Daniel with the Goa'uld healing device, fails miserably, and freaks out, all in the span of 15 seconds. It takes Dr. Frasier no time at all to stabilize Daniel, but Sam goes through that whole train of emotions before Janet is even done. In fact, the whole scene takes no time at all, but adds so much meaning to the episode and so much to all the characters.

There's also Bane (written by RCC ), and another small, meaningful scene. Sam leads Gen. Hammond to bring in Dr. Harlow (?) to help with Teal'c's condition, only to have him be in league with (or a dupe for) Mayborne. When she confronts him about it she's pissed at him, but she's also pissed at herself. She got everyone to trust this guy with Teal'c's life and she feels like she let them down.

Ooh, and of course there's Paradise Lost (written by RCC ). Sam feels like she let Harry get her zat, and that the fact that Jack is lost without hope of rescue is her fault. She beats herself up over it, gets pissed at Dr. Lee for not being as dedicated to a solution as she is, and even tries to get Hammond to launch a satellite to help find him.

That'll do for a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                ok,kids

those of you that haven't voted for hte best sam eps of s2,, WHY NOT?????

and those of you that have....why did you vote for what you voted for??

i'm not saying 'justify' it, i'm just asking, why? what made ________ episode the best one for sam for you?
                                i picked 'in the line of duty'.

it was a HUGE moment/ep for sam. first off, just having one of the leads have something this big and bad happen to them was important, but it being sam... i found it a big honor that this storyline was given to sam. it shaped many things for her from that moment on. and it 'permanently' changed her too. i like it when they let bad things happen to their characters and don't just sweep it under the rug. okay, they've been ignoring it for a bit now, but when this ep took place, they let it go on for quite a few years.

on a side note to this ep; i remember when we were in hiatis between seasons 1 and 2, and there were preview interviews with everyone. they talked to amanda and she said that something big (*really* big, with her cute emphasis on 'really') was going to happen to sam in season 2. i wish i would have recorded that special!

k, that's my reasons for picking 'in the line of duty' for my fave sam ep of season 2.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X