Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal
    A bit OT but while I'm here, has anyone posted yet at the new Save Stargate SG1 website? I'm asking because I had a moment to read some of the first posts there and no one brought up the opinions that many of us shared here about "lack of respect for the original cast" and the whole way the transition to S9 was handled. No one except a fan called "grammadebbie". Her post caught my attention. However, before I added my own thoughts and feelings I decided to come back here and check if my fellow Samandans are going to add their opinions at the "Save" board.

I know Astro and I have tossed this around a lot in private emails, but we both feel strongly that Stargate SG1 shouldn't and cannot be saved. If the show returns, name it correctly: SGC. It will never be SG1 again - they threw the baby out with the bath water in S9 and S10 and that contributed to the slide in ratings (in our humble opinions).

So is it valid to post these kinds of opinions at a website that is conducting a "save the show" campaign?

I still applaud "grammadebbie" for her post though. She's probably going to be a voice crying in the wilderness and totally lambasted by the fans who are quite happy about the current show and eager to maintain the new status quo.

Personally, I'm happy that AT will now be able to flex her acting muscles elsewhere. I'd love to see Amanda doing an "Indiana Jones" movie or telemovie, but I'm hoping it would be a female Indiana Jones as the starring role rather than a sidekick to another alpha male.
    I'm with you and astro. I don't think it should be saved. It's beyond saving. This is not SG-1 anymore. SG-1 ended with RDA. S8 ended with dignity and that's the way it should have been. If TPTB wanted to continue, they should've done miniseries or something.

I've thought about posting, but would anyone really pay attention to the good, solid reasons for not saving the show? Part of me thinks that some people want it saved just because of the name of the show, not the true quality that's been lacking for at least two seasons. They've forgotten about team dynamics--it's become more of a Scooby gang split up--two people over in one direction and three in another. There's no team.

If anything, something should be there for a counter argument as to not saving the show.
    sigpic

Comment

i'm with you kat. no matter how it works out, i sincerely doubt that STARGATE SG-1 will survive. teh FRANCHISE will. But if the newest incarnatino of the franchise is gonna be the cam and vala spoof/parody hour why should i fight for something that doesn't appeal to me???

again, a lot of it goes down to who's been behind the changes in s9 and 10. was all of it skiffy pulling the strings and making the [email protected] do things they didn't want to do? and thus things that could change if the [email protected] got out from under skiffy's thumb

or did skiffy not interfere at all and cambo, vala the vain, and all the other stuff i havent' liked come directly from the [email protected]???? if so, then it'll just continue in the next incarnation and i'd be saving a show i won't watch.

so, anyone that wants to campaign, go for it. Have fun and good luck

for anyone that doesn't want to, go for it.

but EVERYONE needs to respet teh choices that others make. I don't want to live through another 'if you don't campaign for daniel then you're not a true fan and we're gonna ban you off the list, stop talking to you and make fun of you behind your back' like I experienced with the sdj.

If you don't want to campaign, leave those that do alone.

If you do want to campaign, leave those that don't alone.

and if anyone gives you crap about either decision, take it to the mods cause that kind of childishness will not be tolerated
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

A bit OT but while I'm here, has anyone posted yet at the new Save Stargate SG1 website? I'm asking because I had a moment to read some of the first posts there and no one brought up the opinions that many of us shared here about "lack of respect for the original cast" and the whole way the transition to S9 was handled. No one except a fan called "grammadebbie". Her post caught my attention. However, before I added my own thoughts and feelings I decided to come back here and check if my fellow Samandans are going to add their opinions at the "Save" board.

I know Astro and I have tossed this around a lot in private emails, but we both feel strongly that Stargate SG1 shouldn't and cannot be saved. If the show returns, name it correctly: SGC. It will never be SG1 again - they threw the baby out with the bath water in S9 and S10 and that contributed to the slide in ratings (in our humble opinions).

So is it valid to post these kinds of opinions at a website that is conducting a "save the show" campaign?

I still applaud "grammadebbie" for her post though. She's probably going to be a voice crying in the wilderness and totally lambasted by the fans who are quite happy about the current show and eager to maintain the new status quo.

Personally, I'm happy that AT will now be able to flex her acting muscles elsewhere. I'd love to see Amanda doing an "Indiana Jones" movie or telemovie, but I'm hoping it would be a female Indiana Jones as the starring role rather than a sidekick to another alpha male.
        I have also been thinking on the same subject and was considering starting a Save Classic SG1 petition for those people that wanted to show support for SG1 but not the crud that was served up in S9.

I still can't get over how TPTB took not one but two commands off Sam Carter and still haven't addressed what her actual position at the SGC is now even after supposedly addressing the "command issue" this season.
        -

Comment

I won't be campaigning to save the show. Ten years is a great run, and I'm very thankful for what we got. But I don't mind that others feel differently. I can certainly undertand and appreciate their disappointment.

I think TPTB have heard the nay-sayers and the anti's over the past two years. Just look at all the in-jokes on ep 200. It's not like they don't get it. They do. I'm pretty satisfied that my concerns and my complaints have been heard and understood.

So I'm not going to poo-poo the efforts of others to save the show. If it makes people feel like they're doing something good and productive, more power to them. If nothing else, the outpouring of support will let the actors and crew know how much their efforts have meant to so many people over the years. It's a good thank-you card. Why put a damper on that?

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
            Sam ficathon stories are up!

All the Carter goodness you can stand!
            Happy me Going to read it immediatly...thank you everyone...so if GW is down again tonight because of LAD than I have something to do...oh wait I was going to go early to bed...pff like that is ever going to happen

Originally posted by SunKrux
            Adding my belated welcome.

Also adding...DUDE!!! I'm jealous...Amand AND Claudia...lucky dog!!!
            Yes also from me:
            WELCOME NEKOI

it looks like in ages since I have been here but well GW was down yesterday so...

Comment

Well, I wasn't going to admit it, but Sky's last post made me brave. I am campaigning to save the show. (Remember Sky said you have to be nice so no rotten tomatoes.) I doubt it will be saved, but I think the campaign may help speed up the process for getting a movie. I don't want to wait too long for the movie. I am really curious about Amanda's thoughts on the subject. I know she can't come out and say that she's ready for the show to end, but if her statement is a "thanks for 10 years, its been a good run" type of statement then she may be done. On the other hand, if she seems disappointed by the cancellation then I will probably continue to campaign. I really don't blame any of you for being ready to see the end. It isn't the same show that it once was, but I still like it. That being said, I would gladly sign a "Save Classic SG1" petition if it were available.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
                Well, I wasn't going to admit it, but Sky's last post made me brave. I am campaigning to save the show. (Remember Sky said you have to be nice so no rotten tomatoes.) I doubt it will be saved, but I think the campaign may help speed up the process for getting a movie. I don't want to wait too long for the movie. I am really curious about Amanda's thoughts on the subject. I know she can't come out and say that she's ready for the show to end, but if her statement is a "thanks for 10 years, its been a good run" type of statement then she may be done. On the other hand, if she seems disappointed by the cancellation then I will probably continue to campaign. I really don't blame any of you for being ready to see the end. It isn't the same show that it once was, but I still like it. That being said, I would gladly sign a "Save Classic SG1" petition if it were available.
                No rotten tomatoes from me. I'm sincerely glad you are still enjoying the show. Now don't throw any tomatoes at me , but I have only seen one episode of S10, and it wasn't that bad. I posted as such in the episode thread. I'm looking forward to the episode I think it's called "The Road Not Taken" It's right before the last episode. It's a Sam centered episode. Hey two episodes a year isn't great, but I watch what I think I will like. If the spoilers sound good then I'll watch it.

If the Movie or miniseries is more like sesson 1 -8 then I'll be front and center, if not then I'll probably pass on that too. Sad, because SG-1 used to be my favorite show.
                Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 30 August 2006, 10:01 AM.

Comment

You know how the Sam Ficathon was being pimped? Well, I really want to second that, because the stuff on it is AWESOME. I'm really enjoying it, and the fic that was written for me was amazing.... Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile. I have a feeling the author is a Samandan, so if you're out there, thank you.
                  Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

hey, good fo ryou and have fun.

and i mean that seriously. I wish you the best of luck and if anyone gives you crap about joining in the campaign, let me know and i'll whack them around for you

Like i said, i would feel more positive about it if i felt that the show stood a chance of returning to what i consider to be its former glory (pre s9)

but since i can't be confident in that, i'm not participating.

but that's me.

And i do agree, the campaign can be seen as a way to express a person's thanks for 10 years of entertainment
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

More Samficathon story pimpage:

I made a difficult request, an AU in which Germany and Japan won WWII. Somebody did a lot of research to put the story together. It's a bit grim, which I expected from such a scenario, but there's Sam/Janet friendship. And whumping! Lots of Sam whumping! No idea who wrote it, but I think they did a great job given the setting.

Land of the Setting Sun
                      http://community.livejournal.com/sam...fic/16095.html
                      Last edited by Strix varia; 30 August 2006, 11:23 AM.

My LJ

Comment

*curses school and dies*

Agh! I've heard so much about this ficathon, but I have no idea where to go (or when I'm gonna have a chance to read them - most likely, if I start, I won't be able to stop ).

How many fics were submitted to this lovely LJ?

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                          *curses school and dies*

Agh! I've heard so much about this ficathon, but I have no idea where to go (or when I'm gonna have a chance to read them - most likely, if I start, I won't be able to stop ).

I counted 50 posts. I know that one fic was a 4 parter (I also know who was responsible for the monster!) so... 46 stories? I think. Don't quote me on that one.

The main page for the ficathon is here.
                          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I pimped the Sam ficathon on another thread and forgot to do so here - apparently I'm delerious with overwhelming ficness...

I can only swoon and drool today. All that Samfic...

And I am delighted with the fic that was written for me - so much so that I have to pimp it: Operation Montezuma

Whoever you are, thank you!
                            scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                              *curses school and dies*

About 40.

They were all posted last night by the organisers, and since there are so many you have to click on "go earlier" at the bottom of the page to keep finding them.

Sam Carter ficathon
                              scarimor

Comment

So sorry if these questions were answered before, but were all the stories anonymous?

Comment

Working...
                                X