The Storm (110)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prion
    basically, I think any Joe Blow could fly the jumper. What it comes down to is that Sheppard is so far the only expert, due more in part to his years of flight experience than his Ancient genes, I'm sure. Stackhouse and Markham can fly it, and Ford does copilot duty, and he and McKay flew it back in Childhood's End, but.... no one was firing at them, the wind was nice and calm, no storms. Big difference from the hurricane in "Storm."

however, I do think Ford is probably the explosives expert. He seems to get such glee out of blowing things up....
    Right. Anyone can fly it via the hand controls. However, the mental interface requires the gene.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
      Right. Anyone can fly it via the hand controls. However, the mental interface requires the gene.
      OK, that all makes sense. Did they say that anywhere or is it because that's consistant with how all the Ancient things seem to work?

I guess you would still need training to operate a Jumper via the hand controls. The Atlantis expedition isn't that large. Everybody should get that training eventually.

My kind of guy:
      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
        Originally posted by watcher652
        OK, that all makes sense. Did they say that anywhere or is it because that's consistant with how all the Ancient things seem to work?

I guess you would still need training to operate a Jumper via the hand controls. The Atlantis expedition isn't that large. Everybody should get that training eventually.
        Yeah, I buy that, as well. Ford seemed like he was just about to fly them out of there (when Sheppard contacted the Jumper about the hostage situation) but then Beckett interrupted him.
        Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

I wonder why Beckett hasn't given more people the Ancient Gene...Ford would be a good canidate since he's always in the action.

Is he really the second highest ranking Military officer now? I always that that the Security Chief - Seargent something was..

EDIT: I just took a look here: http://www.military-quotes.com/ranks...k-insignia.htm

It seems like a Sergent is a rank one attains when he is an enlisted soldier, but Lt. is someone who is an officer. I guess Ford is high up on the totem pole.

Shepard is ranked right under where Carter is now..

Comment

Sergeant can mean that Bates is anywhere from a low ranking sergeant to a higher end enlisted. My best guess is that he's a Staff Sergeant, because if he was a Gunnery Sergeant they'd call him "Gunny" and he's really too young to be a Master Sergeant.

Strangely enough, in Rising he's wearing lieutenants bars... ah, wardrobe problems.

As for the canon, we only know of Ford and Sheppard as the only officers on the entire trip.

Now as for Beckett and the gene treatment, you have to remember that was so experimental that they couldn't get approval to do it on earth, and we really don't know how truely effective it has been. In the long term.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
              Now as for Beckett and the gene treatment, you have to remember that was so experimental that they couldn't get approval to do it on earth, and we really don't know how truely effective it has been. In the long term.
              I think that McKay can't be the only guinea pig for the gene therapy. You probably need a small group to test with. You have to give it some time to see how it's going to effect them down the road. Beckett must have been really confident that it couldn't hurt, he's very cautious.

Although giving your top scientist anything even remotely dangerous doesn't like a good idea. But McKay was probably such a nag about it.

How about that it turns out it only works with people with citrus allergies or hypoglycemia?

My kind of guy:
              "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
              Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

I would like to know how Kolya knew it took two senior personnel to active the self-destruct sequence. He's not from Earth. The Genii might have a different proceedure for it than we do.

Comment

I think that McKay can't be the only guinea pig for the gene therapy. You probably need a small group to test with. You have to give it some time to see how it's going to effect them down the road. Beckett must have been really confident that it couldn't hurt, he's very cautious.

Although giving your top scientist anything even remotely dangerous doesn't like a good idea. But McKay was probably such a nag about it.

How about that it turns out it only works with people with citrus allergies or hypoglycemia?
                  To be honest, as a trained molecular biologist and a present phd student in the field, I'm kinda surprised it's working so fast. Knowing that genes work in a more complex way than just introducing the gene to be integrated into the human chromosome, I'm surprised it's expressing and allowing McKay to generate the correct interactive signals et al to operate the more advanced Ancient Technology. What I'm more surprised is that McKay's not exhibiting some serious side effects as a result of this kind of gene therapy, like tumour formations or expressing some infectious retroviral agent. In fact, being a student of metaphysics as well, I'm probably going to write some fan fiction that's gonna be a little technobabble based, but that's gonna propose some ways in which Ancient Tech works and interacts with the gene.

But what you guys said it's true, we do have to suspend our disbelief a little if we're gonna enjoy the stories that are presented by the team of writers. At the heart of it, what we really enjoy most on the show seems to be the characters, how they interact and how they deal with situations that present themselves in such a different fashion from those we've encountered on SG-1.

So kudos to them, even as we nitpick...maybe it'll help them refine things a little, maybe it'll help us understand and rationalize and enjoy the episodes more. We all get something out of it and I think that's what's really important. The point of a good story.
                  McKAY: Well, you wouldn’t know that from this, would you? This might as well say, “Bing tiddle tiddle bong.” It’s complete gibberish!

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                    I would like to know how Kolya knew it took two senior personnel to active the self-destruct sequence. He's not from Earth. The Genii might have a different proceedure for it than we do.
                    In a previous post I said that I thought that was some info he got out of McKay. But Kolya said to Sheppard, "if there is such a thing" or something like that. So Kolya isn't sure that there even is a self-destruct mechanism. But it would stand to reason that there would have to be at least 2 people to activate it. That would just be good military sense. Kolya was just making a very educated guess.

And Kolya was probably watching McKay to see how he reacted to that bit of deduction.

On the original Star Trek, didn't they need 3 people to enter in the self-destruct code? I remember Scotty had to use his code.

My kind of guy:

Comment

On the original Star Trek, didn't they need 3 people to enter in the self-destruct code? I remember Scotty had to use his code.
                      Yes, they did in the original series. I think you're right, it's just simple logic. Even highly trained and experianced military officers go off the deep end. IIRC the US Air Force started getting truely worried about the possibility when an officer held a .45 to the head of a nuke in the late 1950s.

Comment

Originally posted by kryon22
                        But what you guys said it's true, we do have to suspend our disbelief a little if we're gonna enjoy the stories that are presented by the team of writers. At the heart of it, what we really enjoy most on the show seems to be the characters, how they interact and how they deal with situations that present themselves in such a different fashion from those we've encountered on SG-1.
                        Character development is what makes me love the "Home" episode so much. After all, we take the existence of the Stargate and the city transporter system all in stride. Equal opportunity writers - they can technobabble the medical science as well as the physics!

My kind of guy:

Comment

This is about the hurricane. If the storm was as big as they say with 2 major hurricanes merging and they were both Catagory 5, would that make it a Catagory 10? Or, do they need a different system of measuring hurricanes?

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                            This is about the hurricane. If the storm was as big as they say with 2 major hurricanes merging and they were both Catagory 5, would that make it a Catagory 10? Or, do they need a different system of measuring hurricanes?
                            They would probably need to adjust the system. I am 99.9% sure that the current hurricane scale only goes up to Cat 5. The other thing to remember is that is a measure of the windspeed not the physical size.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                              I am 99.9% sure that the current hurricane scale only goes up to Cat 5.
                              The current scale stops at category 5, but if they wanted to they could still call the storm raging towards Atlantis a category 5 even if the wind speed is 10x greater than anything we have seen before. It would be a very strong category 5, but a cat 5 nonetheless.

A category 5 is a hurricane with windspeed greater than 155mph, with no upper limit.

Comment

I know hurricanes here on earth only go up to a Cat 5, I was just wondering if on the planet where the Atlantis is if they would use Earth System or if the Ancients had their own system to measure them.

I apologize for not make myself clearer on the subject.

Comment

Working...
                                X