The Storm (110)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2BAM
    I loved this episode!! Wonderfully directed, beautifully shot, great acting, great action, and the entire pace of the episode did not make it easy to look away from the TV set.
    You can look away when Atlantis is on?

My kind of guy:
    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

I liked this episode. Some thoughts:

POSITIVE:

- Great landscapes and views of Atlantis with that storm

- Important role for Weir (my favourite charachter)

- Evacuating reminds us of the fragility ot the team in this unknown world (They MUST NOT behave like in SGC)

NEGATIVE:

- The martial arts scene with the staffs really sucked. I practice, I can tell you

- The Genii look too much like a twentieth century fascist state

But on the whole, there's action, I rank this episode at the level of 101 - 102.
      No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
      I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
      Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Furling God
        - The Genii look too much like a twentieth century fascist state
        Not to quibble, but they have a twentieth century tech level, and they are a society devoted to militarism. That's likely going to make them resemble a fascist state, but personally I thought they more closely resembled the ancient Spartan state.

Comment

It's their costumes. I travel all the way to another galaxy and I find people dressed up like in a twentieth century political fiction movie showing how the British would have looked like under a fascist-communist regime. Mmmmhh, the costumes... who choses the costumes in this series?
          No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
          I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
          Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

How would you expect them to dress? They're technologically advanced (to a degree, at least) so they can hardly be running around in animal skins waving giant femurs. And if they dressed in slick, sparkly clothes they'd be accused of being goa'uld rip-offs. And if they dressed in plain gray uniformy things, they'd be the Tollans or Aschen. If you have better ideas, you should write/draw them up and send them in. Me, I'm not that visually oriented.

Incidentally, I really am curious about how a semi-advanced human culture should dress. Especially ones who have warlike/combative tendencies.
            Last edited by ShadowMaat; 20 September 2004, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Their Uniforms take the same tone as the The Imperial Forces on Star Wars do. Remember the briefing room Scene in A New Hope when all the suits are sitting around a table listening to Vader and Peter Cushing discussing a situation? Most of the Techs, or people at stations were dressed very formally in Star Wars and they were technolgically advanced. Then in Farscape you have The Peacekeepers who dressed farely sensibly. They didn't scream SCI-FI PANTO even though they were technologically advanced.

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
              from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

Comment

Well at least, the weapons looks diferent than our's do.

Comment

Originally posted by Furling God
                  It's their costumes. I travel all the way to another galaxy and I find people dressed up like in a twentieth century political fiction movie showing how the British would have looked like under a fascist-communist regime. Mmmmhh, the costumes... who choses the costumes in this series?
                  I think their type of uniform was to imply that because we are all Human, we will end up thinking along the same lines. So since they were in a certain point in their social evolution, they would adopt the kind of clothing they did. As we have changed our "uniform" over the years.

Besides, a costume is supposed to enhance our understanding of the character. It wouldn't make dramatic sense if they were wearing togas or spandex.

One must accept these things. Like "I travel all the way to another galaxy and I find people speaking English"? We wouldn't get much of a story told if we had to wait for the universal translator to kick in after every sentence. The Athosian Teyla speaks English with less of an accent (to these American ears, anyway) than Earthers Beckett or Zelenka!
                  Last edited by watcher652; 20 September 2004, 07:33 PM.

My kind of guy:
                  "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                  Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaBlu
                    How would you rate "The Storm?"

Outstanding - 761/65%
                    Good - 306/26%
                    Fair - 66/6%
                    Poor - 15/1%
                    Terrible - 23/2%

What were you saying again?

BYE

What I was saying was, that *I* tend to find the show sloppily written and not thought through as carefully as I would like. I cannot speak for anyone else nor does your figures above in any way invalidate my opinion.

Remember the Maginot Line? It proved that 50 million Frenchman *can* be wrong.

J.
                    "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

One person can fly the puddle jumper. Sheppard did it in the beginning of "The Storm". Teyla wasn't doing anything except being along for the ride. Of course, that might also be because of his Ancient gene. For the Ancient gene-challenged folk, it might require two people...

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                        One person can fly the puddle jumper. Sheppard did it in the beginning of "The Storm". Teyla wasn't doing anything except being along for the ride. Of course, that might also be because of his Ancient gene. For the Ancient gene-challenged folk, it might require two people...
                        I thought only people with the Ancient gene can fly the Puddle Jumpers. Do you think people without the Ancient gene can fly the Jumpers? Is it that "once activated, anybody can use it" thing that Peter mentioned in "Hide and Seek"? So all you really need is Jumper training?

If that's the case, why hasn't Ford flown yet? You'd think he'd be itching to fly, if only to be one more person who could. In "The Storm", it looks like he had to defer to Dr. Beckett for the flying since the doctor was sitting in the pilot's seat. Or maybe Ford can fly but he would be better in the tactical seat and that's why he was sitting there?

And Beckett stayed with Ford and Teyla while they waited for the last three people to come back. If he wasn't needed, wouldn't he go back with the other group (except that would ruin the story)? Unless Beckett was thinking they might need medical assistance.

In "Childhood's End", it was McKay who flew the Jumper. If Ford could do it, don't you think he would get training first? He's Sheppard's second in command.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                          I thought only people with the Ancient gene can fly the Puddle Jumpers. Do you think people without the Ancient gene can fly the Jumpers? Is it that "once activated, anybody can use it" thing that Peter mentioned in "Hide and Seek"? So all you really need is Jumper training?
                          I think it is a once actived, anybody could use it. In Thirty-Eight Minutes, I think there were two flying the jumper. But a person that has the gene can operate the jumper buy themselves, like Sheppard, with their thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                            I think it is a once actived, anybody could use it. In Thirty-Eight Minutes, I think there were two flying the jumper. But a person that has the gene can operate the jumper buy themselves, like Sheppard, with their thoughts.
                            Now, see, I didn't get that in "Thirty Eight Minutes." I thought only the person sitting in the pilot's seat (I think someone has said his name is Stackhouse) was flying the Jumper. The other guy was just sitting in the seat next to him. I don't remember him doing anything.

And I don't think Sheppard is flying the Jumper with his thoughts. He's still physically flying it. What comes up when he thinks about it is the tech stuff, like the maps and weapons.

Gee, I'm going to have to watch these episodes closer now with these questions in mind. Of course, then the show will throw a line in somewhere and totaly invalidate my theories.
                            Last edited by watcher652; 21 September 2004, 09:05 AM.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                              Now, see, I didn't get that in "Thirty Eight Minutes." I thought only the person sitting in the pilot's seat (I think someone has said his name is Stackhouse) was flying the Jumper. The other guy was just sitting in the seat next to him. I don't remember him doing anything.

And I don't think Sheppard is flying the Jumper with his thoughts. He's still physically flying it. What comes up when he thinks about it is the tech stuff, like the maps and weapons.
                              Physically, Sheppard is flying the plane as you say. But, when those flying the jumper that don't have the gene, they still need a navigator (or whoever sits in the second seat, in some of the Earth bound jets).

Comment

basically, I think any Joe Blow could fly the jumper. What it comes down to is that Sheppard is so far the only expert, due more in part to his years of flight experience than his Ancient genes, I'm sure. Stackhouse and Markham can fly it, and Ford does copilot duty, and he and McKay flew it back in Childhood's End, but.... no one was firing at them, the wind was nice and calm, no storms. Big difference from the hurricane in "Storm."

however, I do think Ford is probably the explosives expert. He seems to get such glee out of blowing things up....

Comment

Working...
                                X