No announcement yet.

The Storm (110)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob, I can see that you're pretty angry about this, it's the second or third post with pretty much the same complaint that I've seen. But I'd like to point out that if you keep comparing Atlantis to SG-1 and if you keep expecting it to be the same, then yes, you ARE going to be frustrated and disappointed. Atlantis isn't SG-1. Instead of hating the differences, why don't you learn to accept them and see the opportunities those differences permit in terms of storylines and character development?

I think this is a bit condescending on your part. It seemed to me his problem wasn't that Atlantis isn't SG-1, it's that he finds the characters to be repeatedly incompetent and maybe even stupid. The fact that he doesn't find the characters in SG-1 to be that way doesn't invalidate his problem with the characters in Atlantis, who are, as he pointed out, supposed to be a lot smarter, better and more skilled than he's seeing. Accept the differences? If you mean different personalities, sure. If you mean that he's supposed to accept what he feels is incompetence and stupidity because it's "different" from SG-1, well, that doesn't fly for me. Besides, I'm not sure that "incompetence" lends itself to "character development". Not in characters who are already supposed to be experienced and skilled.

I tend to find Atlantis sloppily written with things not thought all the way through; this has nothing to do with how I feel about SG-1. I wish I didn't; I wanted to enjoy the show more than I am. I'm not ready to give up on it yet; I'm going to keep watching at least to the end of season 1.

However, viewers are as entitled to criticize what they don't like as they are to praise what they do.

J.
    "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

I guess I read his post more as, "SG-1 is great! SG-1 is perfect! SG-1 would never make mistakes like this! How come Atlantis isn't as perfect as SG-1?"

If it's an honest complaint about shoddy characterization and not a complaint that Atlantis folk aren't as god-like and incapable of wrongdoing as SG-1 folk, then I'll apologize.

However, I also don't see why there's a need to post pretty much the same thing at least twice within a day. There was a great post already started about this. There was already a discussion going. So why drag it into here, too? Or, alternately, why start the original post in the first place? Why not keep it ALL in here?

Everyone interprets things differently. I saw Bob's post one way and responded to it in that vein. You read it another way and replied likewise.

Comment

I thought this episode was the best of the series so far. It definetly lived up to the mid-season cliff hanger expectation I had for it. When it was over I was thinking "wow, and i have to wait till january to find out what happens!" And I never do that, I usually am very patient about waiting till the next episodes.

What I liked about it the most was that Sheppard, Weir, and McKay actually had alot of REAL emotions they had to experience, not the 1 dementional emotions their characters usually embrace. It was really nice to see and gives me hope for fleshing out of the characters in the future.
        It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

What an exciting episode. Right off the bat I was pleased they established that Kolya (sp?) is a bad guy who is not only tough on the enemy, but on his own people. He is and isn't predictable. It depends on what suits him at the moment as far as getting his job done.

Sheppard: what can I say? All cute. All soldier. All guy. But uneasy when he found out Beckett and Ford would not be on their way back. He's great when he's angry. Love the "catwalk" he was sneaking along on.

Beckett: Should've gone back to help evacuate and pack up medical supplies ASAP, but he didn't. Teyla managed a trip back but he wasn't needed?

Teyla: wow, I wish I had her buff arms and I wish she was my friend because she is so sensible and so calm.

Mckay: this is the Rodney I like to see. Funny and indignant. You know he's going to get back at that Kolya in the conclusion, I hope. Did the wound migrate down his arm a bit? Has Hewlett lost weight? He looks leaner in this episode.

The knife: as it was pulled out, sounded like Duncan MacCloud's sword in Highlander.

Weir: hum...a little robot-like. Then again, that's reasonable. A leader needs to remain composed and in control of herself even if she can't control what's happening around her.

That storm is going to throw a huge wrench in the works. Too bad it'll take 3 months to get there. Break out the umbrellas, the bandages, and the C-4.

Comment

About Rodney and Weir doing something to get out of the situation, did anyone think that those on the mainland will return at the right moment?
            Last edited by greytop; 18 September 2004, 08:57 PM. Reason: changed a word

Comment

Well they can't kill Weir. She's an very essential part of the show, same with McCay. I am betting that there is a sleeper still in Atlantis besides Shepard...

I just hope that someone smacks the hell out of that pretty boy who cut McCay. That guy deserves to have Shepard beat him unconscience with Steve's corpse.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
                I tend to find Atlantis sloppily written with things not thought all the way through
                How would you rate "The Storm?"

Outstanding - 761/65%
                Good - 306/26%
                Fair - 66/6%
                Poor - 15/1%
                Terrible - 23/2%

What were you saying again?

BYE
                "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Seven
                  That guy deserves to have Shepard beat him unconscience with Steve's corpse.
                  So you're into that kinda thing huh?

Sorry! Couldn't resist.

BYE
                  "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Originally posted by chiefchucky
                    Not to change the subject but how do you think they will get the last grounding station to disconnect?
                    I'm guessing that since Kolya's guy shot out the dial that separated the grounding station rods that McKay is going to have to some kind of manual intervention. Didn't McKay start to say he didn't know if he could even do something about it before that guard grabbed at his arm and he yelled "Get off of me!"

Did I mention that I hate Kolya's guts? He ought to get swept away by the storm. Blown right off the grounding station balcony. Or maybe a nice, sizzling lightning strike. Yeah, that would be perfect.

My kind of guy:
                    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by kris
                      Beckett: Should've gone back to help evacuate and pack up medical supplies ASAP, but he didn't. Teyla managed a trip back but he wasn't needed?
                      Wasn't Beckett needed to fly the Puddle Jumper and help with the evacuation of the mainland?

How many people have the Ancient gene AND can fly the Puddle Jumpers? In "Underground" there must be at least 2 others because Sheppard flew Puddle Jumper One and he had 2 other Jumpers behind him. I can't believe Beckett was flying one of them, but who knows?

That one young guy flying the ship in "Thirty Eight Minutes" must have the gene, right? Maybe he was one of those flying in "Underground".

So the only people we know for sure that can fly Puddle Jumpers are Sheppard, McKay, Beckett, and that one guy.

My kind of guy:
                      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Fantastic episode...and along with everyone else, I hate cliffhangers! And no-one hurts my Rodney and gets away with it!

I did wonder why Koyla was so interested in knowing the wherabouts of Sheppard when they first came through, was it just because he suspected he was still on Atlantis or would there be another reason? Its probably just to see if Weir was lying, as he asked several times.

Comment

Originally posted by acasmi
                          I did wonder why Koyla was so interested in knowing the wherabouts of Sheppard when they first came through
                          We've seen how Kolya operates. He probably wants to either a) take Sheppard back to the Genii homeworld and try to get every drop of intel from him by any means necessary or, more likely b) execute him. The people on the Atlantis base would be much less of a threat if their military leader were taken out of the equation. Remember, Kolya "doesn't like 'even'".
                          We suspend our disbelief, and we are entertained...

Comment

Originally posted by NurseRatched
                            We've seen how Kolya operates. He probably wants to either a) take Sheppard back to the Genii homeworld and try to get every drop of intel from him by any means necessary or, more likely b) execute him. The people on the Atlantis base would be much less of a threat if their military leader were taken out of the equation. Remember, Kolya "doesn't like 'even'".
                            Too bad they'll never find him. They're probably too technologically inferior to get Atlantis's sensors online.
                            sigpic

Comment

It seems our writers are finally getting their act together characterwise and storywise. I found the Genii to be much more dangerous (and interesting) than the Wraith though! Hoping that Koyla doesn't get bumped off, as happened to our friend Steve, and is able to return to wreck havoc in the future. Good to see various story arcs starting to spin off. Thumbs up on this one.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Brilliant, brilliant episode...

LOVED McKay and Zelenka. Loved all the little stuff and how all these people in Pegasus seem to go around to each other all the time, unlike SG-1. I mean, you've got the Manarans who are trading food with Atlantis, but they're allies of the Genii and then there's the Athosian who's trying to trade with the Manarans for land... just so good

The VisFX were spectacular once again. Joe's acting was superb IMO, especially when he was shouting desperately into the radio at the end... plus, nice to see the transporters again. Oh, and when they went to cut McKay again and he let out that whimpering cry... very good acting on David's part

Now, my theories on "The Eye" are that Sora will stop Kolya shooting Weir. They won't get the last grounding station down, so when the storm hits and the lightening starts going off maybe it will be a game of chance in the city. That some of the strikes will go to the grounding station but some others will go through the halls of Atlantis, making it dangerous for Shep and the Genii soilders.

Now, I've gone into withdrawl already!

Comment

Working...
                                X