The Storm (110)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
    You realize, of course, that you will have been thoroughly spoiled by the time you watch it?
    Yes. But I also started watching the series during season seven, so I have gone into almost every episode with a basic idea of what will go on at the least.

Comment

The girl whose name I can't remember whose father got killed in 'Underground' - I wonder what's up with her. She's obviously out for revenge against Teyla, and yet she seems more compassionate than the others. I can't wait to see what's going with happen to her. Right now, I'm betting either she or Ko(l)ya (or perhaps both) will get killed in the next episode.
      Sora is smart enough not to hate all of the Atlantis expedition just because of something Teyla did. Teyla knew Sora and her father. So to Sora, it's personal. Sora doesn't know those other people with the high tech stuff.

I don't think Sora gets killed. I think Weir's speech made an impact on her. She may be able to convince her people that they should work with us, not against us. And you all know what I think should happen to Kolya.

My kind of guy:
      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Oh, I had planned to mention this but I forgot: I bet that when I go back and read what everyone else said about this episode, there will be a lot of "clever" remarks from the Weir haters... ("I hope he does shoot her! But with my luck, that's probably not gonna happen... Bwa ha ha, I'm so great!")

EDIT: Whaddoya know, nobody did. At least in this thread. Shucks...
        Weir has some good stuff to say, for once. Actually, for twice, she has some good moments in "Home".

Everybody should get an episode to show their character. It just took longer to get to Weir since she's stuck at home base.

My kind of guy:
        "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
        Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

I finally got to squint at The Storm, and of course now there are a gazzilion posts in this thread, so, as usual, I'll post my thoughts first, and read yours later.

STORY BY - Jill Blotevogel - you go, girl!

So, did the storm clouds look menacing? I couldn't see them at all on squinty. In my mind I just combined images from the last four hurricanes to hit the Islands and US East coast.

I have remained almost completely spoiler free for the new seasons of Stargate, so I was actually taken by surprise when buddy from that "hospitable" planet contacted the Genii.

MacKay was in fine form, as ever, and it was great to see Zelenka again. Loved that moment of epiphany between them! Which one of them had been struck by lightning, once?

The Genii are a totally cool group of "bad guys" whose morality is completely self-centered. The Genii are as hard to negotiate with as the Wraith.

Very good tension throughout the ep, but especially at the cliff-hanger. I expect our marooned puddle jumper crew will figure more heavily in part two. I also expect a no-holds-barred battle between Teyla and Sora(?).

<shrugs> What can I say? I really liked it.
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Yes, hurricanes only go up to Category Five.

I had a bunch of problems with this STUPID episode:
            (1) hurricanes CANNOT MERGE -- they repulse each other
            (2) hurricanes have very little lightning -- the whole idea of powering the shields from lightning strikes was STUPID
            (The writers really needed to have a meterologist as a consultant)
            (3) why call it a 'hurricane' -- that word is only used in the North Atlantic, and the Atlantis team is supposed to be International. They should have called it a 'tropical cyclone'.

And why could they not used a bunch of puddlejumpers to evacuate everyone to somewhere else on the planet or up above the storm and wait it out without involving other people they know little about?

Plus, it seemed way out of character for the Atlantis team to threaten others in order to compel them to provide refuge.

Bad episode.

Comment

[QUOTE]
              Originally posted by TRex
              Yes, hurricanes only go up to Category Five.

I had a bunch of problems with this STUPID episode:
              (1) hurricanes CANNOT MERGE -- they repulse each other
              (2) hurricanes have very little lightning -- the whole idea of powering the shields from lightning strikes was STUPID
              (The writers really needed to have a meterologist as a consultant)

I can't argue these two points as I know as much about hurricanes as the writers, apparently.

(Looks like ignorance has blissed me once again! )

(3) why call it a 'hurricane' -- that word is only used in the North Atlantic, and the Atlantis team is supposed to be International. They should have called it a 'tropical cyclone'.
              Because Sheppard, Weir, and MacKay are the main characters and they live in hurricane land, so they'd naturally call it a hurricane? (Zelenka admitted that he'd never experienced such a thing, living in middle Europe.) And why Tropical? I've only seen the eps on squinty and so the scenery is never clear, but is there any indication that they are in a tropical zone?

And why could they not used a bunch of puddlejumpers to evacuate everyone to somewhere else on the planet or up above the storm and wait it out without involving other people they know little about?
              A PJ can probably handle about fifteen people, max. There are five PJ(that we know of). There is an Athosian and a Earth population to move. Do the math.

Plus, it seemed way out of character for the Atlantis team to threaten others in order to compel them to provide refuge.
              I didn't like that, either. It sounded kinda mafioso, to me. But they were desperate by then, and not just a little irritated that their hosts were not more compassionate.
              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                And why Tropical? I've only seen the eps on squinty and so the scenery is never clear, but is there any indication that they are in a tropical zone?
                Hurricanes, or cyclones, at any rate, are by definition beasts of tropical latitudes that form in and feed off of warm water. That is why they loose strength when they hit land or move too far north into the colder waters.

Though I happen to agree with you. The reason they call it a hurricane is because the main characters are Weir, Sheppard, and McKay There was some fuss earlier this year when the US National Weather Service decided to call a storm in the south Atlantic a hurricane, while the weather service in Brazil claimed it was not.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                  Hurricanes, or cyclones, at any rate, are by definition beasts of tropical latitudes that form in and feed off of warm water. That is why they loose strength when they hit land or move too far north into the colder waters.

Though I happen to agree with you. The reason they call it a hurricane is because the main characters are Weir, Sheppard, and McKay There was some fuss earlier this year when the US National Weather Service decided to call a storm in the south Atlantic a hurricane, while the weather service in Brazil claimed it was not.
                  Cyclones? Don't you mean typhoon. I thought cyclones are what happen in Kansas that send you to Oz.
                  No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DJFavorite
                    Cyclones? Don't you mean typhoon. I thought cyclones are what happen in Kansas that send you to Oz.
                    I believe I have heard that hurricanes and tornadoes arre both considered cyclones.

Comment

No. I mean cyclone.

From dictionary.com

Cyclone (n.)
                      Meteorology.
                      1. An atmospheric system characterized by the rapid inward circulation of air masses about a low-pressure center, usually accompanied by stormy, often destructive weather. Cyclones circulate counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere.
                      A violent tropical storm, especially one originating in the southwestern Pacific Ocean or Indian Ocean.
                      2. A violent rotating windstorm.

--

Typhoon (n.)
                      A tropical cyclone occurring in the western Pacific or Indian oceans.

--

Hurricane (n.)
                      1. A severe tropical cyclone originating in the equatorial regions of the Atlantic Ocean or Caribbean Sea or eastern regions of the Pacific Ocean, traveling north, northwest, or northeast from its point of origin, and usually involving heavy rains.
                      2. A wind with a speed greater than 74 miles (119 kilometers) per hour, according to the Beaufort scale.

What you were thinking of is a tornado. Which is a very different beast.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I've heard Tornado and cyclone used interchangably, but I have never heard cyclone used for a hurricane. Though I guess if I thought about it for a couple seconds, I would have realized that's what you meant.
                        No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I've heard Tornado and cyclone used interchangably, but I have never heard cyclone used for a hurricane. Though I guess if I thought about it for a couple seconds, I would have realized that's what you meant.
                          Don't be embarrassed. I looked up the definitions to make sure I wasn't being stupid and ignorant.

Comment

STORY BY - Jill Blotevogel - you go, girl!
                            Jill Blotevogel has also written for my other favorite show, The Dead Zone.

Loved that moment of epiphany between them! Which one of them had been struck by lightning, once?
                            That was McKay. He was commenting to Zelenka that he was once almost hit by lightning. Then lightning did strike. That's when McKay stood up (and I noticed that his chair was on wheels as it rolled back) and he and Zelenka looked at each other with the same thought occurring to them at the same time.

McKay's had a lot of traumatic experiences, hasn't he? Imagine being almost hit by lightning! I wonder if he was doing a science experiment?

My kind of guy:

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                              I wonder if he was doing a science experiment?
                              Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I can just picture him now, directing all of his anger towards that lightning bolt for even daring to disturb his work of genius.

*sigh* McKay, I miss you already, and it's been what, a week and a half?
                              Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                                McKay's had a lot of traumatic experiences, hasn't he? Imagine being almost hit by lightning! I wonder if he was doing a science experiment?
                                Maybe he'd been chased up a tree by a bunch of thugs.

Comment

Working...
                                X