The Storm (110)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlphaBlu
    Kolya is such a fantastic character and the actor playing him is doing a wonderful job, but his character is sort of set up to die. We can't kill Cowen as he's the "main" Genii badguy, so we have to have lesser "big bads" that we can fight.

I have a feeling he's going to meet a nasty end thanks to some lightning strike!
    I said it first! (sorry, I just figured out how to do this)

And did I say... well, you know.

My kind of guy:
    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

On another thread they were giving some humorous suggestions where Sheppard had hid the C4.

I think Sheppard has the C4 with him.

The reason for this is when he was in the jumper, after the Genii had taken Weir and McKay prisoners, he was getting weapons that were stored on the jumper. When he heard McKay over the intercom, that they want the C4. That time he had no backpack. By the time he reached the last station, he had a backpack.

So, what's in his backpack?

Comment

Supposition on how Weir is saved: (spoilerish space : )

Sheppard has the Ancient gene. This is the first time that we have seen him mad. In fact, from this episode, we have gone beyond the nice guy who doesn't follow orders, to seeing that he is in fact a very skilled warrior.

Maybe, with his adrenaline (spelling?) rushing, his temper reaching the boiling point, his thoughts very focused, he is able to connect via ESP to the powers of the city. And while thinking, I wish I could just beam Weir out, a transporter kicks in and puts her right next to him.

Be kind of neat, anyway : )

Comment

This episode was awesome its one of my favs now

Comment

I thought that the Genii stick training sequence did two things. Yes, it did show us that Sora can fight................she is pretty small to fight Kolya, but its TV. The other is that the training showed us how brutal and ruthless that Kolya is, even to his own people. Great actor!! I liked it!!

Comment

I loved this episode!! Wonderfully directed, beautifully shot, great acting, great action, and the entire pace of the episode did not make it easy to look away from the TV set. I can't wait to see part two....................when does the DVD set come out?

Comment

"Yikipayee muther f**er!" I thought that Sheppard was gonna be doing a John McLane on Atlantis, and having Robert Davi in the episode as a villain was great! I love that guy. For those who don't know Robert Davi was an FBI agent in Die hard, which makes me think he would have been a better NID agent.

One thing I didn't like was the ending. Basically it could have been better.

Weir has a gun to her? So why didn't they just shoot her? Imagine the suspense! She's shot, but not shot dead. Think, Sean Connery shot in Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. So the episode ends she's shot and the only person who can save her is on the main land. Beckett is gonna have to build up the courage and fly the Puddlejumper back to Atlantis to save Weir, whilst Rodney has to do the best to keep Elizabeth alive, whilst Sheppard has to do his best to retake Atlantis and then set up the shield.

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
                from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

Comment

Originally posted by Slainey
                  I know they couldn't have planned this but seeing a fictional hurricane after all the real ones the last few weeks was odd. On that note however, did anyone else think "trailer park" when the Puddlejumper occupants decided to wait out the storm.

I love Rodney more than ever but that boy needs to work on his poker face.
                  Ditto to everything you said!
                  It's odd how sometimes a show will be set to air and something in RL that is freakishly similar happens around the same time.
                  nugglebugget

greetings from the "Bluegrass State"where the grass is actually green,just like everywhere else

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    I guess I read his post more as, "SG-1 is great! SG-1 is perfect! SG-1 would never make mistakes like this! How come Atlantis isn't as perfect as SG-1?"

If it's an honest complaint about shoddy characterization and not a complaint that Atlantis folk aren't as god-like and incapable of wrongdoing as SG-1 folk, then I'll apologize.
                    Ok, I'd just like to posit a few ideas here. Remember that in SG-1, the SGC has the resources and disposal of the US military resources and alliances that the USAF have made over the course of military history. Not to mention a "teeny weeny" fact that they have the resources of an industrialized and to a certain point, globalized WORLD to bring to bear to solve resources. Pentagon think tanks, pubished journal resource search engines for scientific reference, easily mobilized population replacements for fallen SGC comrades? They'd be in so much better a position to deal with some of these threats than a small 100 member (down 3-4 by now) expedition. AND, Earth has also made alliances with alien member races in the Milky Way that are significantly advanced in terms of technology etc etc....namely, the Asgard, the former Tollan, the Tok'ra. And even member populations that are behind Earth in their technological advancement have not been ignored, because they represent one more potential source of partners to trade materials and have economic relations with to the gain of both parties. The Atlantis expedition have NO claim to such advantages, being stuck alone in the Pegasus Galaxy.

Many of the worlds in the Pegasus Galaxy live under the oppression and constant population control of the Wraith. We haven't been introduced to any significant race that has managed to evolve to hold its own against them precisely because the Wraith do what the Goa'uld do in our galaxy. But the essential difference between the two are simply that the Goa'uld are a feudal society...whereas the Wraith function more as hive members. Internal warring within a species tends to often distract them from rapidly accomplishing their goals as opposed to a single unified purpose. Take the Minbarri from Babylon 5 as an example. When the three castes are divided, the race as a whole detaches from events in the universe. But the single galvanizing action of the killing of their leader Dukhat nearly led to the extinction of the human race. So for all intents and purposes, the idea of trying to gain allies with any significant technological advantage, remains slim, hence their desperate need to research, decipher and understand all the knowledge that the ancients might have left behind in Atlantis. That means a greater responsibility to be the ones to get the job done, on behalf of all the oppressed humans in the Pegasus Galaxy, AND together with them. Take the most basic necessity for instance, crops, food and such supplies. Without them, they wouldn't live long enough to begin to start what they need to do. And for that, they need allies. And time and again, the whole idea of staying behind in the Pegasus Galaxy, is not only to just gain access and understanding of how Ancient technology works, but also to help these humans out by banding together against a common oppressor.

As for the assumption of American supremacy on Earth. A mighty, industrialized nation, does NOT a great nation make. How many philosophers, poets, SPIRITUAL LEADERS and even common men have said, time and time again, that the true mark of any great civilization is in the way they treat their neighbours. And how many times has it been proven that all it takes is a desperate man, backed into a corner to wreak the most damage. We have all the tools at our disposal to bring a mighty nation to its knees. May not be easy, may not be clean, but it can be done. Even SG-1 has presented so many situations where mighty technologically advanced civilizations and races have fallen, all in the name of arrogance and pride. In a lot of these situations, the SG teams being the more inferior (less technologically advanced for the politically correctly minded) race, have been directly or indirectly responsible for the downfall of some of these enemy races.

Isn't the whole point of sci fi and what we've watched so far supposed to be a reflection, a mirror at which we can examine our own progress and advancement, both technologically and culturally? For reasons of logistics, the expedition members were limited by the number of people they could send, hence the best and brightest. But even the best and brightest have their moments of weakness, hence needing to help each other out and being humble enough to accept that graciously. Not to sound all pollyanna, but we are stronger together than we are divided. A message that has echoed through just about every sci fi series that I've watched. Sure it takes a few dynamic people (hence the stars of the show) to catalyze the process, but it's everyone working together that get the job done.

So, just as a reminder. Pride, hubris and arrogance always comes before a fall. Walking forward with your eyes, mind and heart open, lets you get through the rocky pitfalls. I appreciate and admire the strength of the Americans greatly. But I think of my fellow countrymen (I'm from Singapore) and what we have achieved, no less. And I think the courage and strength of will of the poorest mother fighting for the survival of her children, working how many odd jobs a day just to put some food on the table in many third world nations is to be honoured equally. We ALL possess something different with which to bring to the table. No one less important than the other and we are so much richer for the common experience.
                    McKAY: Well, you wouldn’t know that from this, would you? This might as well say, “Bing tiddle tiddle bong.” It’s complete gibberish!

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                      Wasn't Beckett needed to fly the Puddle Jumper and help with the evacuation of the mainland?

How many people have the Ancient gene AND can fly the Puddle Jumpers? In "Underground" there must be at least 2 others because Sheppard flew Puddle Jumper One and he had 2 other Jumpers behind him. I can't believe Beckett was flying one of them, but who knows?

That one young guy flying the ship in "Thirty Eight Minutes" must have the gene, right? Maybe he was one of those flying in "Underground".

So the only people we know for sure that can fly Puddle Jumpers are Sheppard, McKay, Beckett, and that one guy.
                      I don't think the Ancient gene is really necessary for flying pjs. On the kiddie planet Ford and McKay travelled back and forth alone.

Comment

McKay now has the gene, so thats why he was flying. Ford does not have the gene. I do not know why though.

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
                        from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

Comment

Wasn't Beckett needed to fly the Puddle Jumper and help with the evacuation of the mainland?

How many people have the Ancient gene AND can fly the Puddle Jumpers? In "Underground" there must be at least 2 others because Sheppard flew Puddle Jumper One and he had 2 other Jumpers behind him. I can't believe Beckett was flying one of them, but who knows?

That one young guy flying the ship in "Thirty Eight Minutes" must have the gene, right? Maybe he was one of those flying in "Underground".

So the only people we know for sure that can fly Puddle Jumpers are Sheppard, McKay, Beckett, and that one guy.
                          McKay doesn't have the gene, does he?
                          I don't think the gene is that necessary. McKay and Ford travelled back and forth alone from the kiddie planet.

Comment

Originally posted by HIj'Qa

I don't think the gene is that necessary. McKay and Ford travelled back and forth alone from the kiddie planet.
                            McKay had gene therapy and can activate Ancient Technology. That was done at the beginning of the episode "Hide and Seek". That's why he could activate the green experimental personal shield.

McKay was the one who was piloting the ship in "Childhood's End". At that time Sheppard mentioned that McKay had only done it once before.

My kind of guy:
                            "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                            Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by HIj'Qa
                              McKay had experimental gene theropy in Hide and Seek, but we really don't know if that was effective in the long term.

Comment

Originally posted by kryon22
                                Ok, I'd just like to posit a few ideas here...
                                That was a very thoughtful post. Thanks for sharing it.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Working...
                                X