X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    I never
    Spoiler:
    even watched JAG, but the shipping nonsense on NCIS has had me banging my head against a wall.

As for that bit of SGA-related OTness... They're nuts. They're all frakking crazy. What else can be said?

Great minds think alike!
    Yup, that's all that can be said.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Yeah, a Sparky friend I am.
    And we love you even though we know your main het ship is John/Kate because you're cool and open minded.

Comment

I scored 71% - what does that make me? A casual aquaintance?
      Probably level pegging with me. I think I must've guessed some of those fic ones correctly, because I'm pretty sure I got some of the others wrong.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
      Spoiler:
      I loved JAG but I completely agree that it got stupid with the ship in the last few years. There was a point where it needed to just be resolved. I can't remember what season it was. But when Brumby left Mac to go back to Australia and it looked like they would hook up but then Harm's GF's father died. I thought that episode was brilliant but then it went nowhere the following year. The same thing happened with NCIS and Tony/Ziva. There was one brilliant episode (maybe it was the season 7 premiere?) and then it just died. Neither ship ever felt right afterwards. They reached the critical point and then backed away. I have no idea what that might have been for Jack/Sam as I have only watched a little bit of SG-1.

So I wonder if we all worry too much that John/Teyla would have happened eventually. Maybe they would have dragged it on forever like these others? Oh well, it's over and they can no longer frak with the characters.

Totally different OT topic - I've been reading the interviews on GW and Gero saying how Keller would have been universally loved if it wasn't for Carson. BWahahahahaha! Is he for real??? He also was saying how hard he pushed for Carter to come over. FRAK YOU GERO & MULLIE & MALLOZZI & WRIGHT & COOPER!

It makes you a Sparky friend.
      Spoiler:

I don't have a problem with shipping the couples exactly, it's just that when it interfers with the rest of the show, and makes it ridiculous, then it's time to either hook them up or move them on.

Looking at the earlier stuff on JAG, I'm not sure why they decided to ship them as strongly as they did, other than the fact that they are the leads. I'm not saying they didn't have any chemistry, just that they got into a bit of a groove earlier on, whereas it seemed like they got stuck in a rut in the later years.

Sam/Jack to me lost it completely in s6. They dealt with it in s4(?) with those few eps (one of which included the Tok'Ra mind device) and got to a point where they acknowledged it, but made it seem like they weren't going to do anything with it. In s6, Carter has a head injury and hallucinates both her father and Jack telling her to put this ship to rest. Whatever, do, don't, I don't care. But then they kept bringing it back up

Re the stuff on GW, I haven't read it yet. I suspect Keller would have been better liked if she was on the original expedition, where everyone was dumped in the deep end. I didn't like Carson initially. But look at the contrast in their initial seasons - Carson's focus episode was Poisoning the Well, Keller's was Missing

I also was excited when I heard Carter was coming to Atlantis, although this was before I heard about Weir's dumping. It could have been awesome. What surprises me is that they had a few options for Carter (which they've discussed in the past) yet chose what turned out to be the worst one for the character

Oh yeah, and one more OT thing for gateraid

Spoiler:
      I understand how you wanted them to get NZ stuff right. But let me give you a more pathetic example. There was a show called Providence (in which Joe Flanigan actually guest starred) that was placed in Providence, Rhode Island. Rhode Island is my state. They filmed in Rhode Island sometimes and it was a big deal here to have a show based in our capitol city. But then there was one episode where they had characters go from Providence down to the beach in 10 minutes. The most basic of research would have told them it takes more like 45 minutes to get between the 2 locations. It made us all *headdesk*. So here was a show based in my own state that couldn't get stuff right.
      Spoiler:

The Wellington Bay thing didn't bother me so much (most of the target audience wouldn't have even heard of NZ), but the accent did. It's like saying the Welsh and the Scottish sound the same. That said, Anna Galvin played an Aussie on SGA with a less than convincing accent IMO (she's a kiwi)
      sigpic

Comment

On LJ, Quiet Jay posted a great Sparky quiz. I got 100%. It seems I'm too obsessed. How do you guys make out?

http://sparktober.livejournal.com/38948.html
        I only got 77% Guess my nearly photographic memory isn't all it's cracked up to be. I see an Atlantis marathon in my future.
        I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
          Probably level pegging with me. I think I must've guessed some of those fic ones correctly, because I'm pretty sure I got some of the others wrong.

Spoiler:

I don't have a problem with shipping the couples exactly, it's just that when it interfers with the rest of the show, and makes it ridiculous, then it's time to either hook them up or move them on.

Looking at the earlier stuff on JAG, I'm not sure why they decided to ship them as strongly as they did, other than the fact that they are the leads. I'm not saying they didn't have any chemistry, just that they got into a bit of a groove earlier on, whereas it seemed like they got stuck in a rut in the later years.

Sam/Jack to me lost it completely in s6. They dealt with it in s4(?) with those few eps (one of which included the Tok'Ra mind device) and got to a point where they acknowledged it, but made it seem like they weren't going to do anything with it. In s6, Carter has a head injury and hallucinates both her father and Jack telling her to put this ship to rest. Whatever, do, don't, I don't care. But then they kept bringing it back up

Re the stuff on GW, I haven't read it yet. I suspect Keller would have been better liked if she was on the original expedition, where everyone was dumped in the deep end. I didn't like Carson initially. But look at the contrast in their initial seasons - Carson's focus episode was Poisoning the Well, Keller's was Missing

I also was excited when I heard Carter was coming to Atlantis, although this was before I heard about Weir's dumping. It could have been awesome. What surprises me is that they had a few options for Carter (which they've discussed in the past) yet chose what turned out to be the worst one for the character

Spoiler:

The Wellington Bay thing didn't bother me so much (most of the target audience wouldn't have even heard of NZ), but the accent did. It's like saying the Welsh and the Scottish sound the same. That said, Anna Galvin played an Aussie on SGA with a less than convincing accent IMO (she's a kiwi)
          I had to stop reading the interviews because they were pissing me off all over again.

Oh, but
          Spoiler:
          wasn't Missing supposed to make us all love her or something? Wasn't the quote something about all doubts would be erased with that ep? Well, that was the first ep where I disliked her. Before that she was only a bland, benign presence. Oh well.

Uh oh, you mentioned Anna Galvin. Is FH still with us?

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
          I only got 77% Guess my nearly photographic memory isn't all it's cracked up to be. I see an Atlantis marathon in my future.
          So far I'm the only one here or in Sparktober to get 100. Now I'm feeling scared for myself.

Comment

I have to admit - there was some guessing going on though some of it seemed familiar.

*GASP* ... Quick! A marathon to save our souls...

I am... and I have to say it wasn't the accent that caught me off guard, dearies... not the accent at all... I mean, just look at the woman... she's so *sigh* beautiful... *thunk*

Spoiler:

So far I'm the only one here or in Sparktober to get 100. Now I'm feeling scared for myself.
            You wear the badge with honor! Nothing to be scared about.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I am... and I have to say it wasn't the accent that caught me off guard, dearies... not the accent at all... I mean, just look at the woman... she's so *sigh* beautiful... *thunk*

Spoiler:
              I don't think it's that bad. I've been depressed lately and marathoning Castle to cheer myself up.

Shame on you FH for looking at another woman! I think I her Claire's heart breaking as we speak.

Comment

I had to stop reading the interviews because they were pissing me off all over again.

Oh, but
                Spoiler:
                wasn't Missing supposed to make us all love her or something? Wasn't the quote something about all doubts would be erased with that ep? Well, that was the first ep where I disliked her. Before that she was only a bland, benign presence. Oh well.

Spoiler:

As time goes by, I keep wondering what my reaction to Keller would have been had I been a casual viewer, and not a part of GW. It's funny, if you ignore all of s4 and only look at her s5 eps, she's not that bad. Other people have a violent reaction to Brainstorm, but when I actually saw it, I thought it was hilarious (although it was not an SGA episode). Heck, some of the s5 eps would've played well with Carter as leader too - it wouldn't have looked so out of place in TLT with her taking command of the Deadalus instead of Woolsey, nor her wanting to fire drones into Keller in The Seed, or replacing Woolsey's GitM/sinking the city ultimatum with "we don't negotiate with terrorists".

I have to admit - there was some guessing going on though some of it seemed familiar.

Spoiler:

You wear the badge with honor! Nothing to be scared about.
                She didn't do a terrible accent (for that matter, there's variation within the accent anyway, as some people don't have as 'harsh' an accent as others) but I could tell by her accent that she wasn't an Australian by birth. I suspect most people in the northern hemisphere wouldn't be able to tell the difference, as there isn't really a huge distinction.

I was pretty surprised I'd never heard of her, she's from an acting family and it's a small country (one only needs to have presented the tv weather fifteen years ago to count as a celebrity).
                sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah, and one more OT thing for gateraid

Spoiler:
                  I understand how you wanted them to get NZ stuff right. But let me give you a more pathetic example. There was a show called Providence (in which Joe Flanigan actually guest starred) that was placed in Providence, Rhode Island. Rhode Island is my state. They filmed in Rhode Island sometimes and it was a big deal here to have a show based in our capitol city. But then there was one episode where they had characters go from Providence down to the beach in 10 minutes. The most basic of research would have told them it takes more like 45 minutes to get between the 2 locations. It made us all *headdesk*. So here was a show based in my own state that couldn't get stuff right.
                  OT thoughts

Spoiler:
                  I watched JAG in the early days but forget why we stopped. And ITA that the ship on NCIS is getting downright eyerolly. Tony and Ziva have about as much chemistry as...well...you know who I mean.

And those of you who get pushed out of shape over shows set in your areas should live here. There are tons of shows and movies that feature scenes in Washington, DC. We have a whole list of common errors. They always have every member of Congress living in Georgetown. Georgetown covers only about a square mile and the cheapest home is several million $. Then we have the way car scenes always go past the White House or Capitol, usually going the wrong way to get where they are supposedly going. Whenever someone goes to Virginia, it's always the middle of the country, and they get there in 10 minutes. They make it look like the CIA HQ is in DC instead of VA. They say both airports and the Pentagon are in DC when actually all 3 are in Virginia. I could go on all day, but you get the idea. And who can forget the scene in one of the Die Hard movies set here where the phone had "Pacific Bell" written on it. ROTFLMAO It's universal. They never get it right.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

OMG I used capitol when I meant capital.

*feels shame*

Comment

*reads all the hilarious ranting about how Hollywood fraks up whenever a production is set in a not-Hollywood/LA location, and giggles*

But don't worry, even Hollywood screws up when it comes to Hollywood. Then again, I usually find it funny when they screw up the details.
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I've gotten over my shock at the sadness of Downton Abbey. As I said in its thread, it was sad but well done drama instead of exploding tumors or turning into a replicator.

And I think I heard Falcon's Thud.gif all the over here in the US!

I don't think it's that bad. I've been depressed lately and marathoning Castle to cheer myself up.

Shame on you FH for looking at another woman! I think I her Claire's heart breaking as we speak.
                        Oh I'm sorry you've been depressed!! That stinks!!

Spoiler:

As time goes by, I keep wondering what my reaction to Keller would have been had I been a casual viewer, and not a part of GW. It's funny, if you ignore all of s4 and only look at her s5 eps, she's not that bad. Other people have a violent reaction to Brainstorm, but when I actually saw it, I thought it was hilarious (although it was not an SGA episode). Heck, some of the s5 eps would've played well with Carter as leader too - it wouldn't have looked so out of place in TLT with her taking command of the Deadalus instead of Woolsey, nor her wanting to fire drones into Keller in The Seed, or replacing Woolsey's GitM/sinking the city ultimatum with "we don't negotiate with terrorists".

She didn't do a terrible accent (for that matter, there's variation within the accent anyway, as some people don't have as 'harsh' an accent as others) but I could tell by her accent that she wasn't an Australian by birth. I suspect most people in the northern hemisphere wouldn't be able to tell the difference, as there isn't really a huge distinction.

I was pretty surprised I'd never heard of her, she's from an acting family and it's a small country (one only needs to have presented the tv weather fifteen years ago to count as a celebrity).
                        Spoiler:
                        I'm pretty sure my dislike of Keller is purely my own thoughts. I watched all of Atlantis after it was already over. I watched all the Elizabeth episodes but didn't catch the rest of S4-5 until much later when I bought the DVDs at a very cheap price. So when I would read the Keller hate all over the place here I didn't really understand it. All I'd seen of her was Adrift. My assumption was that the Keller hate was due to the same reason as the Elizabeth hate - the shipping of her with one of the dynamic duo. When I later watched Missing, I went "ooooh, now I get it." If I hadn't seen S4 and skipped straight to S5... yeah I don't know. I still don't remember most of S5. And I still haven't gone back to my rewatch of that season. I'll get to it someday.

Oh, and ask SR about how actors in the US do Southern accents.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                        OT thoughts

Spoiler:
                        I watched JAG in the early days but forget why we stopped. And ITA that the ship on NCIS is getting downright eyerolly. Tony and Ziva have about as much chemistry as...well...you know who I mean.

And those of you who get pushed out of shape over shows set in your areas should live here. There are tons of shows and movies that feature scenes in Washington, DC. We have a whole list of common errors. They always have every member of Congress living in Georgetown. Georgetown covers only about a square mile and the cheapest home is several million $. Then we have the way car scenes always go past the White House or Capitol, usually going the wrong way to get where they are supposedly going. Whenever someone goes to Virginia, it's always the middle of the country, and they get there in 10 minutes. They make it look like the CIA HQ is in DC instead of VA. They say both airports and the Pentagon are in DC when actually all 3 are in Virginia. I could go on all day, but you get the idea. And who can forget the scene in one of the Die Hard movies set here where the phone had "Pacific Bell" written on it. ROTFLMAO It's universal. They never get it right.
                        Spoiler:
                        Well I did think Tony/Ziva had chemistry in the beginning but now it's drained away completely. Then again, my love for all things NCIS has drained away. I haven't even watched the last few episodes. They're sitting on my DVR along with the last year of Supernatural.

One of the Die Hard movies had "Pacific Bell" on a phone? LMAO!!!!! That's just sad.

Ya know, I watched most of Providence but I don't remember Joe at all. Maybe if I went back and saw it then it would come back to me. But then I do think he's gotten better looking as he got older.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        *reads all the hilarious ranting about how Hollywood fraks up whenever a production is set in a not-Hollywood/LA location, and giggles*

But don't worry, even Hollywood screws up when it comes to Hollywood. Then again, I usually find it funny when they screw up the details.
                        That's BEYOND sad!!

In Providence's case, I am certainly glad the actors didn't try to do our accent. Our accent is simply horrible.

Comment

Oh I'm sorry you've been depressed!! That stinks!!
                          I kind of feel like the universe is piling on again. I just need to find another way to spin things and I think I'll be okay. It's either that or I'm going to start acting a lot more like John in season 4-5.

Just to add to the OT Hollywood rant
                          Spoiler:
                          I used to watch Tour of Duty a lot growing up and besides getting a kick out of everything my dad would say they screwed up, there is an espisode that's supposed to be set in the jungles of Vietnam but you can see power lines and towers in the background of the shot.

Comment

OT thoughts

Spoiler:
                            Spoiler:

You probably stopped when it became too close to being fan fiction. I think that was why I stopped, but don't really remember either. To be fair to the show, it can't really be judged by the standards of today's tv. Some of what they did then is eyerolly now, but was a lot fresher at the time. Plus given the premise of the show and character bios, one knows from the get go that it is always going to stretch credibility in any episode.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I can vouch for some of the car chase scenes being accurate Our tour driver drove the wrong way down a one way multi-laned street trying to get to the White House. The cars just parted and we were all fine, a bit like Moses trying to get through the Red Sea

I've gotten over my shock at the sadness of Downton Abbey. As I said in its thread, it was sad but well done drama instead of exploding tumors or turning into a replicator.
                            That only leaves the wild west shoot-out scenario

Spoiler:
                            I'm pretty sure my dislike of Keller is purely my own thoughts. I watched all of Atlantis after it was already over. I watched all the Elizabeth episodes but didn't catch the rest of S4-5 until much later when I bought the DVDs at a very cheap price. So when I would read the Keller hate all over the place here I didn't really understand it. All I'd seen of her was Adrift. My assumption was that the Keller hate was due to the same reason as the Elizabeth hate - the shipping of her with one of the dynamic duo. When I later watched Missing, I went "ooooh, now I get it." If I hadn't seen S4 and skipped straight to S5... yeah I don't know. I still don't remember most of S5. And I still haven't gone back to my rewatch of that season. I'll get to it someday.
                            Spoiler:

IMO if they hadn't made such a hash of her introduction, I doubt there'd be as much Keller hate. And to be fair, in s5 especially they cut back on the medical extras, which made her look like Dr Everything. That wasn't helped by their choice of when they used Carson - he should have been the doctor in Infection, given that he was supposedly the super geneticist, instead of being wasted in Whispers. I also think that Jewel's speech pattern (which cannot be helped, unless she does an accent) makes her sound really uncertain all the time. There are times when Keller is only mildly nervous, yet she sounds more nervous than she appears.

I kind of feel like the universe is piling on again. I just need to find another way to spin things and I think I'll be okay. It's either that or I'm going to start acting a lot more like John in season 4-5.

Spoiler:
                            I used to watch Tour of Duty a lot growing up and besides getting a kick out of everything my dad would say they screwed up, there is an espisode that's supposed to be set in the jungles of Vietnam but you can see power lines and towers in the background of the shot.
                            That sucks So.....you're going to grow facial hair?
                            sigpic

Comment

OMG I used capitol when I meant capital.

*feels shame*
                              Trust me, nobody noticed. I make tons of mistakes, but I can spot one somebody else make a mile away. Usually. I find after I've spent several hours editing something, I have trouble reading a book without having my editor's hat on. Frustrating.

That show is killing me dead. I love everything about it. Maggie Smith needs an Emmy. Right now.

Oh, and ask SR about how actors in the US do Southern accents.
                              No, don't ask unless you want a long rant. But, to be fair, an authentic sounding Southern accent is extremely hard. Here's a hint though, if they sound like Scarlett O'Hara, its bad.
                              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Spoiler:
                                *hugs* 1bighug.jpg

Spoiler:

IMO if they hadn't made such a hash of her introduction, I doubt there'd be as much Keller hate. And to be fair, in s5 especially they cut back on the medical extras, which made her look like Dr Everything. That wasn't helped by their choice of when they used Carson - he should have been the doctor in Infection, given that he was supposedly the super geneticist, instead of being wasted in Whispers. I also think that Jewel's speech pattern (which cannot be helped, unless she does an accent) makes her sound really uncertain all the time. There are times when Keller is only mildly nervous, yet she sounds more nervous than she appears.
                                Spoiler:
                                Her age went against her as well. A CMO, super geneticist, surgeon, etc. in her mid-20s? Puh-leeze. Then you had the inconsistencies. In Quarantine she talked about not having a normal time in school but then in Trio she talks about drinking games. Well, which is it? *cough*Character bible*cough*

They seemed to cut back on all the extras in seasons 4 and 5. Heck, it was only Sam and Rodney fixing that ship (whatever it was named). The drop in extras made for some pretty funny stuff. The intro to Sam scene in Reunion had so few people it made me laugh and think that the people of Atlantis were as excited about her arrival as I was.

That show is killing me dead. I love everything about it. Maggie Smith needs an Emmy. Right now.
                                She did win one for Season 1.

No, don't ask unless you want a long rant. But, to be fair, an authentic sounding Southern accent is extremely hard. Here's a hint though, if they sound like Scarlett O'Hara, its bad.
                                LOL!!

Comment

Working...
                                X