No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As promised, here is my breakdown of key timeline/background points from SGU. I've tried to restrict this to information that may prove directly useful to planning for Atlantis Rising, especially in terms of developments in the situation with the Lucian Alliance, as well as discoveries regarding Ancient technology and its history that may come into play in Atlantis. Instead of going episode by episode, I'm presenting this in timeline format to give a better idea of exactly what happened when. My personal commentary is highlighted in purple.

And away we go!

Millions of years ago
    Stargate seeder ships, and later the Destiny, are built by the Ancients and launched from Earth.
    "Air" (1.01): Rush states that Destiny was launched "hundreds of thousands of years ago," but this was later clarified by producers as being in error.
    "Darkness" (1.04): Destiny pre-dates the introduction of ATA gene dependent technology, meaning that it must have been built prior to the Atlantis-class city-ships.

Notes: Given the similarities in more flowing, organic design styles between Destiny and other very old (in some cases, known Ori-era) pieces of Ancient technology, like the communication stones and communication device, the repository of knowledge and the Ark of Truth, it is possible that the seeder ships and Destiny were constructed shortly after the Ancients first arrived in the Milky Way. Note that in the Atlantis pilot episode "Rising," Daniel Jackson states that the Ancients left Earth with Atlantis somewhere between five and ten million years ago, so Destiny's launch had to have been much earlier than that.

Date unknown - at least two years prior to "Air"
    A single nine chevron gate address is found in the Ancient database on Atlantis, with apparently no further information on it.
    "Air" (1.01): One of the orientation videos that Eli watches states that the address was found in the Ancient database. Later, Rush further clarifies that it was discovered in Atlantis and it was the only nine chevron address found, and confirms Eli's question that there were "no other instructions" included.

Notes: No date is given for the discovery of the nine chevron address, but it may be safe to assume that it happened shortly before Rush was approached to join the Stargate Program. Potentially, it could be anywhere from one to six months, but I'd err on the shorter side, maybe a month or two for the number crunchers already read into the project to realize that they need additional outside help.

About two years prior to "Air"
    Daniel Jackson approaches Nicholas Rush to offer him a position with the Stargate Program, on a new project to unlock the ninth chevron. Around the same time or shortly thereafter, Earth gets information from a source within the Lucian Alliance about a naquadria-rich planet that meets the requirements for the ninth chevron project.
    "Air" (1.01): One of the orientation videos that Eli watches states that the Icarus planet was discovered two years earlier.
    "Human" (1.14): Rush's memories of his first meetings with Daniel Jackson reveals the Icarus planet's connection to the Lucian Alliance; Jackson also mentions a mining outpost run by a small "something" (Rush cuts him off before he can complete the statement). Rush later states that he'd been working on the ninth chevron problem for two and a half years while his wife was off dying, only for Eli to come along and solve the problem at the last minute

Notes:
    1. If "Air" takes place around March 2009 (within days to weeks after the end of SGA's "Enemy at the Gate," around February 2009), then this may have occurred around the time of SGA's "Reunion" (ep. 4.03), which we have set around March 2007. However, that's assuming that it's exactly two years. At various points in "Human" it's stated that the ninth chevron project was operating for anywhere from two years to two and a half years prior to the beginning of SGU. If we go with the longer end of the scale and assume it's been about two and a half years, that puts us sometime around September 2006. This is about halfway into the second half of Atlantis Season Three, so Elizabeth Weir would still have been in command of Atlantis at the time the nine chevron address was discovered and the beginnings of the Icarus Project. It's possible that the Asuran Replicator database, which was probably modeled on the Atlantis database, also contained the address and thus Oberoth and the Replicators would have been aware of it. Whether or not the Asurans might have had any additional information about the significance of the nine chevron address, or whether they were able to extract any information from Weir's mind about Earth's knowledge of the nine chevron address and of the Icarus Project, is unknown and debatable.
    2. It's possible that the Lucian Alliance might have been initially interested in the planet and its supply of naquadria for use in weapons, before they learned of the nine chevron address. On the other hand... (see below)

Date unknown - possibly a year or so prior to "Air"
    Colonel David Telford is working undercover to infiltrate the Lucian Alliance. Eight months into his assignment, a planet that Earth has a large team working on is attacked; thirty-seven people are killed. It is later discovered that Telford knew about the attack and decided to do nothing, in order to protect his cover. Stargate Command sweeps the matter under the rug. At some point, Telford is brainwashed by the Lucian Alliance to become a double agent.
    "Subversion" (1.18)

Notes: Obviously, Telford is the one who told the Lucian Alliance about Icarus Base and Earth's ninth chevron project. But there are indications that the LA knew about Destiny (or at least the nine chevron address) well before this point. In "Aftermath" (2.02), Ginn tells Wray about why the Lucian Alliance wanted Destiny:

Spoiler:
    GINN: Ancient legend said the address led to great understanding. It could make you as powerful as the gods.

WRAY (smiling cynically): Which gods?

(Ginn smiles awkwardly.)

GINN: Don't ask me. I assume it meant god-like power, like the ascended Ancients. If you could control time and space ...

WRAY: Wait. You think that Destiny is capable of that?

GINN: I don't know. That's what the legend said. You asked me why the Lucian Alliance wanted the ship so badly.

Telford probably gave the LA a great deal of other information as well. Like information on Atlantis and its defenses, which no doubt were used to plan the LA's coming attack on Earth. What attack, you ask? Keep reading.

About six months prior to "Air"
    The Icarus base is completed and opened
    "Air" (1.01): Young states they've been there for six months.
    "Subversion" (1.18): A photo shows several Icarus personnel celebrating Christmas on the base; this would've been December 2008, which falls right in the six-month period leading up to February/March 2009.

January or February 2009
    SGA's "Enemy at the Gate"

Date unknown, but probably shortly before "Air"
    Telford is assigned to Icarus Base. His job will be to lead the first team that will go through the gate onto Destiny.

Late February or March 2009: SGU's "Air"
    Mallozzi's blog, April 29, 2009
    Ruffles writes: “1. How much time has passed since Enemy at the Gate? [...]”
    Answers: 1. Well, it aired January 9th, so almost three months. Oh, if you’re wondering about in relation to SGU – maybe days. And if you’re wondering in relation to the Atlantis movie – maybe a week. [...]

Notes: Basically, it looks like the original plan was supposed to be EatG, followed a few days later by "Air" (and "Darkness" and "Light," which pick right up from "Air"), with the "Stargate: Extinction" movie perhaps taking place either during or immediately following "Air"/"Darkness"/"Light." With the SGA crossover episode in SGU S2, that timeline has been changed; "Air" probably still picks up days after EatG, but "Extinction" will likely take after the crossover episode, "Seizure."

Date unknown, perhaps soon after "Air"
    The Lucian Alliance finds a new Icarus-type planet and begins working on reaching Destiny.
    "Subversion" (1.18): According to Olan, they've been close to making a connection with Destiny for "months."

Within the first couple of months that the crew is on Destiny, the IOA makes two attempts to try to gain control of command.
    "Earth" (1.07), "Justice" (1.10)

Notes: Damn, the IOA just can't stop meddling in anything, can they?

Late September or so
    Colonel Young and Lieutenant Scott aboard the Destiny discover that Telford may be a Lucian Alliance agent and Rush volunteers to assist them in smoking Telford out. Rush, still in Telford's body, is captured by Lucian Alliance agents on Earth using a cloaked Goa'uld cargo ship they snuck past Earth's sensors. Rush is taken to Icarus 2 and forced to recreate the calculations necessary to connect to Destiny, while Telford's brainwashing is broken and he warns Destiny and Earth about the Lucian Alliance's plan to raid and take over Destiny. Carter and the General Hammond lead the assault on Icarus 2, but they are unable to stop the Lucian Alliance strike team from opening the gate to Destiny and gaining a foothold. Eventually, the strike team is defeated and locked up while Earth decides what to do with them.
    "Subversion" (1.18), "Incursion Parts 1 & 2" (1.19, 1.20), "Intervention" (2.01)

To be continued in Part 2...
    Last edited by Scary Kitty; 30 December 2010, 02:20 PM.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Part 2 of SGU: The Final Report!

October 2009
      Rush unlocks Destiny's master access code, giving him control of all the ship's systems. He learns of the Ancients' plans to one day gate forward to the ship and use it to investigate what they believed to be evidence of some advanced intelligence from the beginning of time.
      "Aftermath" (2.02), "The Greater Good" (2.07)

Notes: "Advanced intelligence from the beginning of time?" Yeah, you just read that right. Since this mindfrak is so big, I'm going to copy and paste the relevant scene bits from "The Greater Good" so you can read about this for yourselves.

Spoiler:
      RUSH: It's not a game, Colonel. Destiny's mission requires a level of commitment I doubt anyone in that ship's prepared to make.

YOUNG: What mission? There is no mission other than getting these people home.

RUSH: You're wrong. It was never about going home. It's about getting us to where we're going.

YOUNG: What the hell's that supposed to mean?

RUSH: These past few weeks, I've learned so much more about the ship, about its mission. It's far more important than we ever thought.

YOUNG: OK, let's ... let's hear it.

RUSH: Are you familiar with the cosmic microwave background radiation?

YOUNG: Noise left over from the Big Bang.

RUSH: A long time ago, the Ancients made a discovery. They found evidence of a structure buried deep within the background radiation. They believed that, at one time, this structure had genuine complexity, coherence, therefore could not have occurred naturally.

YOUNG: How is that even possible?

RUSH: It's not - at least not according to our current understanding of physics, nor could we even see this structure with our technology.

YOUNG: OK, so what are we talking about? Some kind of code, a message?

RUSH: A message, perhaps, or a sign of intelligence from the beginning of time.

YOUNG: Sent by?

RUSH: Hmm. Well, that's the very question they sought to answer when they launched Destiny. That is the mission. We're talking about a mystery rooted in the foundation of reality, a puzzle with pieces scattered across the length and breadth of the universe itself.

YOUNG: I swear to God, Rush, if this is another one of your hoaxes ...

RUSH: Once I'd broken the code, I had access to the ship's complete archive. There are thousands of pages devoted to this: scientific research, philosophical debate ...

YOUNG: If we don't have the technology to see this thing, how the hell am I supposed to believe ...

RUSH (interrupting): Because Destiny is not our technology, Colonel. The Ancients left us their data as well as the ship.

YOUNG: And you've seen this data?

RUSH (nodding): I'll show it to you. I don't promise you're gonna understand it, but it's there. Someone's gotta see this mission through. We're here - why not us? Stop saying we don't belong on that ship. Embrace it; move forward; stop looking behind us.

YOUNG: I just wanna get these people home.

RUSH: Well, I'm starting to think that seeing this mission through may be our only chance of ever doing that.

YOUNG: What does that even mean?

RUSH: We're talking about a level of order present at the very beginning of space/time that goes beyond anything we ever conceived. I believe that the more we learn, the more pieces Destiny uncovers, then the greater our power to control everything around us will be.

YOUNG: So it is about power.

RUSH: Yes, Colonel. Power to change things, control our fate, right the wrongs.

YOUNG: To play God?

RUSH (exasperated): No. To gain greater understanding.

So, what could this mean for us? Well, the Ancients were supposed to follow Destiny; gate on board and go on their Grand Tour of the Universe in search of the meaning of life and all that, but they never did. Why? Why was there absolutely nothing in the Ancient database in Atlantis about Destiny, except for the nine chevron address? Hints that have been dropped by the producers and cast have suggested that the Ancients abandoned their plans for Destiny and never looked back. There may be more to come on this in the second half of Season Two, and it's potentially something we could look at in future seasons of Atlantis Rising.

The conflict with the Lucian Alliance in the Milky Way is escalating; Homeworld Command and the IOA receive confirmation that the Lucian Alliance is planning an attack on Earth.
      "Aftermath" (2.02), "Awakening" (2.03)

Notes: A Lucian Alliance attack on Earth! Boy, did we call this one, or what?

November
      The rest of Destiny's crew (and presumably Earth) finds out that Rush broke the access code.
      "The Greater Good" (2.07)

December 2009 or January 2010
      The original refugees from Icarus Base have been on Destiny for ten months.
      "Resurgence" (2.10): Eli says he's "come a long way in my ten months" (on Destiny)

Thus ends the timeline of episodes that have already aired. The following are some hints and speculation about a couple of the final ten episodes of SGU that could have a major impact on the beginning of Atlantis Rising (spoiler tags used since, obviously, these episodes have not yet aired):

Spoiler:
      2.13 - Alliances
      - Mallozzi hinted on his blog about a story where someone uses the stones to come to Earth and something big is happening there, in reference to this episode. "Something big" happening on Earth? Could this be the much-anticipated attack by the Lucian Alliance?
      - Two characters being introduced in this episode are a Dr. Andrew Covel, the new head of research at Stargate Command (played by French Stewart, who played Ferretti in the original Stargate movie.) Also appearing is Senator Michaels, who replaced the late Senator Armstrong (who was among the refugees from Icarus Base and died in "Air") as the new head of the off-world spending committee (played by Kathleen Quinlan). Michaels could be useful as someone else to bring into the discussions on keeping Atlantis on Earth in "Return to Pegasus, Part 1."

2.15 - Seizure
      - the SGU/SGA crossover
      - McKay will have a scene with Eli, so stoning will be involved in some way: either McKay's going to Destiny, or Eli's coming to Earth to confer with McKay. I'm thinking the former, as we're apparently not going to see Atlantis in the episode.
      - Alias's Victor Garber will guest star in this episode, as Langaran Ambassador Ovirda. I'm guessing Woolsey's role will be to try to negotiate with Langara to try to use their naquadria to make another attempt to reach Destiny. Robert Picardo mentioned in a fan Q&A at StarTrek.com that Woolsey's back in a business suit, "so I'm apparently no longer a commander." If Woolsey's no longer in command of Atlantis, who is? Sheppard? Or did the IOA strong-arm their way into the chair?
      - there may be a mention of Jonas Quinn's fate (it is assumed he was on Langara when it fell to the Ori in SG-1 Season 10's "Counterstrike"), but Corin Nemec is not expected to appear

Finally, there's a particular technological note on Destiny that may be of interest. "Trial and Error" (2.06) reveals that Destiny seems to be capable of running complex simulations and broadcasting them into the crew's minds to test their emotional stability. It seems to have done this at least twice that we know of. First was "Intervention" (2.01) for Lieutenant Johansen, to convince her that her unborn baby was safe (even though she miscarried), probably to keep her mind stable until she could deal with the loss of her child. The second time was for Young in "Trial and Error," presenting him with repeated instances of a no-win battle scenario with the "blue aliens" that menaced Destiny throughout Season 1; we find out at the end of the episode that Rush overrode the simulation before it was able to judge whether or not Young was "fit to lead," in order to get Destiny to go back into FTL and continue on its journey. We could potentially slide in a line or two about how the program aboard Destiny could be an early model for the device that Teyla encounters in "Box of Dreams." Heck, maybe it's supposed to be part of a larger system that spans the entire city and is meant to have a similar function to that on Destiny. Cheery thought, hmm?

And that's it for that. If anyone has any questions, needs clarification, please let me know.
      Last edited by Scary Kitty; 30 December 2010, 02:05 PM.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Scary Kitty that's what one heck of a report. What about bringing in Covel as well if he survives past Alliances.

Comment

As for Seizure the SGA/SGU. After seeing Sheppard in Command in Adrift/Lifeline, First Contact, he's seems to have the ability to command Atlantis but he reminds me of O'Neill and Both of them were rage-ing against "the man". I think around Atlantis Rising Season 8 or 9 he should seasoned enough to run Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
            As for Seizure the SGA/SGU. After seeing Sheppard in Command in Adrift/Lifeline, First Contact, he's seems to have the ability to command Atlantis but he reminds me of O'Neill and Both of them were rage-ing against "the man". I think around Atlantis Rising Season 8 or 9 he should seasoned enough to run Atlantis.
            I agree with the possibility of John running things on Atlantis, agreeing with the fact that he certainly is capable. But with Atlantis being back on Earth, it would probably go through the same hoops as the Ancient outpost did after the battle in season 7. They placed a civilian in charge to make all the nations involved happy so that no one particular military power was in control. Knowing how the IOA has tried to take control of Destiny and Atlantis in times past only strengthens the possibility that the IOA, or a similar organization, will be in control of Atlantis.

Wow. That's the deepest thought I've had all week! Feeling better, btw. DayQuil rocks.

Comment

Since I can't seem to quote SW's post for some reason I'll try this way.

If the IOA gets to put one of it's own in charge again how about the Chinese representative?

If memory serves wasn't she going to replace Woolsey in Remnants no matter what until the probe's IA got envovled?
              I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Scary Kitty that's what one heck of a report. What about bringing in Covel as well if he survives past Alliances.
                That'll depend on whether or not we need him for a story.

That'll depend on what happens in Season 7. And don't forget, we'll have Elizabeth back by then, too.

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                I agree with the possibility of John running things on Atlantis, agreeing with the fact that he certainly is capable. But with Atlantis being back on Earth, it would probably go through the same hoops as the Ancient outpost did after the battle in season 7. They placed a civilian in charge to make all the nations involved happy so that no one particular military power was in control. Knowing how the IOA has tried to take control of Destiny and Atlantis in times past only strengthens the possibility that the IOA, or a similar organization, will be in control of Atlantis.

Wow. That's the deepest thought I've had all week! Feeling better, btw. DayQuil rocks.
                There's that, too. Don't'cha just love politics?

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                Since I can't seem to quote SW's post for some reason I'll try this way.

If the IOA gets to put one of it's own in charge again how about the Chinese representative?

If memory serves wasn't she going to replace Woolsey in Remnants no matter what until the probe's IA got envovled?
                You mean Xiaoyi Shen? That's certainly a possibility. We'll have to see what comes out of "Seizure," though.

Comment

That's Shen Xiaoyi. And regarding Elizabeth and the IOA. O'Neill said this regarding senator Kinsey but its true to the IOA: they are a bunch of power hungry hypocrites. They wanted a civilian in charge they had one. Elizabeth Weir. She made the hard decisions that those people couldn't. They wanted someone they could make do their bidding. Elizabeth Weir was not their mule. Woolsey was.

Comment

That's Shen Xiaoyi. And regarding Elizabeth and the IOA. O'Neill said this regarding senator Kinsey but its true to the IOA: they are a bunch of power hungry hypocrites. They wanted a civilian in charge they had one. Elizabeth Weir. She made the hard decisions that those people couldn't. They wanted someone they could make do their bidding. Elizabeth Weir was not their mule. Woolsey was.
                    After the events of "Remnants," I think it's safe to say that Woolsey is no longer the IOA's pet, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                      After the events of "Remnants," I think it's safe to say that Woolsey is no longer the IOA's pet, either.
                      yeah but he worked for them for nearly 2 years. and Remnants showed a side of woolsey that made me see a side of woolsey that was different but he will always still be that NID Rep that nearly but Sam, Teal'c, Daniel and General Hammond in Jail for the events that transpired in the two part season 7 episode "Heroes"

Comment

I don't think so. That was years ago. He's changed a lot since then, even before he came on the show. I'd say he's more loyal to the Atlantis crew than the IOA now. It's not like McKay is the same guy who kind of almost tried to have Teal'c killed in his debut episode. Well, I suppose it is more like he thought he was already dead and tried to stop Sam from saving his life, but still that's kind of a big mark against the guy. He also has changed a lot before and after he joined the Atlantis Expedition.
                        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                          I don't think so. That was years ago. He's changed a lot since then, even before he came on the show. I'd say he's more loyal to the Atlantis crew than the IOA now. It's not like McKay is the same guy who kind of almost tried to have Teal'c killed in his debut episode. Well, I suppose it is more like he thought he was already dead and tried to stop Sam from saving his life, but still that's kind of a big mark against the guy. He also has changed a lot before and after he joined the Atlantis Expedition.
                          yes granted they have changed. i wouldn't hold that mark against McKay he was only following orders.

Comment

Sam getting only 2 days to fix the problem with the Stargate was his idea. I think he may even have less of an excuse about following orders.

Anyway, very impressive list SK. I have to say even though I'd seen all of the SGU episodes so far, I didn't expect you to use that much information from them.
                            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post

No, there is no way the IOA would put John in charge while Atlantis is on Earth. I'm betting John is back at the SGC or somewhere that makes him miserable. But remember, this is only temporary. Both SGARising and the movie which will no longer be made have the city eventually going back to Pegasus. The time Atlantis spends on Earth is going to be a huge political struggle which in reality John would be on the edge of and have no say in what happens.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                              That'll depend on whether or not we need him for a story.

That'll depend on what happens in Season 7. And don't forget, we'll have Elizabeth back by then, too.

There's that, too. Don't'cha just love politics?

You mean Xiaoyi Shen? That's certainly a possibility. We'll have to see what comes out of "Seizure," though.
                              Excellent job on the SGU summary. Since I only watched the pilot and remember very little of that I can't comment much but it seems there are a number of facts we need to keep in mind in order to be accurate.
                              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Happy New Year everyone!
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X