Telford's communication disruption...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StarFighter View Post
    What's the deal with the communication stones? Was it ever mentioned how they actually work? Even back when they were discovered by SG1?
    It's been explained rather nebulously in past SG as well as in SGU so far. They have been shown to function in two different ways so far. For example, Daniel and Vala use them in a one-way manner in early SG1 S9, but it's mentioned that same episode that they are really meant to be used 2-way like in SGU.

Obviously, they work by swapping the consciousnesses of two people via simultaneous use of the stones on either end. Furthermore, they are instant communication over incredibly vast distances, so I think they use subspace.

Also these stones now use a box. Is that Earth design?
    Yes, this is an Earth design
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by arrakis44 View Post
      Are they trying to imply something with the comms situation. I know the glitches are being caused by shifts to and from FTL, but in the latest scene Telford looked a little disturbed after transitioning back. Is this an indication that there is something weird going on with the stones, or is it just the shock of transitioning back and forth unexpectedly?

Personally I like them to establish some fallibility with the use of the stones, it's just too convenient in its current form.
      I am thinking it was more of the sudden shock of coming back into his own body.
      BUT i do like how they have it when the ship cuts into and out of FTL. Shows that there is some sort of subspace cut there.

This disruption could be the beginning of the end for these stones. If enough "bumps" happen it could lead to the Destiny voluntarily cutting themselves off from Earth.
      OR something happening and the terminals frying.

I was surprised that Young would do something like that in some else's body. I know it was put in there as a laughing moment but Telford should've been pissed at what Young was doing with his body. And Young should be ashamed of himself.
      I was surprised he did that as well. I can see them kissing, but having sex. What is he supposed to think she feels having sex with another man?

For example, what variable of the scenario would have to be changed for people to get up-in-arms about how "wrong" it is? If you were here over the summer, then you already know one scenario that certainly outraged a decent portion of people

If a woman had taken over Telford's body, would that have been different? How about a man taking over a woman's body and doing the same thing? Etc...

I'm genuninely curious about this.

Also, my curiosity is mostly because I've noticed a surprising amount of people who found this "funny", or at the very least they didn't find it off-putting.
      I feel the same either way. Sex in someone elses body to me IS and should be a no no.

Not just for the moral implications but from legal ones as well. A few threads ago we had a discussion about whether
      If man a in person B's body has a kid is the dad A or B?
      Also would it constitute adultery? And what should happen if the body you get into has an STD.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost22 View Post
        I thought it was hilarious. However its the only part i've really enjoyed. I do not want to watch a soap opera. This is ridiculous.
        Was it suppose to be shocking and controversial? I thought the whole Telford/Young swap and end scenes were the funniest on the show.

I guess laughter is a truly a defensive mechanism for me, because I too grow tired of Stargate Voyager 90210. It'd help if I actually cared about Chloe or Scott, but I don't.

Comment

just seconds before i was actually wondering what would happen if the connection was severed between the act. if i was telford i wouldn't want to go back that fast!

Comment

Definitely bad timing for a disruption. Bit hard keeping oneself in the mood, one thinks.

Spoiler:
            I also wonder if this was part of the reason for Young's going after Telford so hard at the end of the episode, as in things getting a little too personal between them with Young now knowing that Telford has quite intimate knowledge of his wife.

Comment

I think Telford is going to use Young's abuse of his body as grounds for a rape charge and try to get Young relieved of command.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                I think Telford is going to use Young's abuse of his body as grounds for a rape charge and try to get Young relieved of command.
                Nah. I don't think so. The last scene proved that IMO. Telford is going to get back at him in a very personal way. He's not going to go through authorities.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

I didn't like Telford going to see Young's wife at the end. She will think it's Everett. No doubt he will imply that!!!
                  MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                  MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                  POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                  CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                  GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                  VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                  FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                    I was surprised that Young would do something like that in some else's body. I know it was put in there as a laughing moment but Telford should've been pissed at what Young was doing with his body. And Young should be ashamed of himself.
                    I'm more surprised that Emily, the person who didn't accept the stones and hated the idea would do such a thing like that. Bad story writing, only did it for the points/humour raised in this thread.

I don't like where all this is heading, if I wanted to watch The Bold and the Beautiful I would.

The episode itself was quite decent, but I don't want them to turn the stargate franchise into a drama genre rather than sci-fi. The idea makes me wish SG was dropped completely (apart from SGA and SG1 movies)

Comment

Very very funny!!! I bet Telford haven't had that much fun in a long time that's why he was in shock or ectasy and wanted more in the end ;0 Dirty old man. He is kinda oldish.

Comment

coronach- you make many good points and im disappointed there isnt more discussion about the ramifications in using the stones in this manner. dont get me wrong, i laughed out loud during the swapping scenes because well they were funny, but i also think the stones pose many really juicy questions. these types of issues are what sci fi is really about- pushing and exploring the boundaries of humanity. i dont think the stones were used as they were in earth just for titillation or to be freaky on the writers' parts. id like to think they are trying to get us to think.

which part of us makes us us? our bodies, our "souls" or consciousness, or some combo? is it really wrong to use another person's body for extracurricular activities of this kind? or is it only wrong to do it without their knowing or their permission? does it matter if its a man or a woman this is occurring to? should it matter? when in this stone swapping does something become rape?
                        Spoiler:
                        was telford raped when young used his body to have sex with his wife? surely we would agree that young's wife may be raped if telford pretends to be young in that last scene, or do we not agree? also has anybody wondered at all if telford and young's wife maybe had something going on previously? perhaps thats why shes ok having sex with telford's body.

being new to stargate i dont have the previous shows and how they were written to reference, but i have hope that whoever's writing sgu now is doing so in a thoughtful manner and with serious intent. so far i havent seen anything to suggest otherwise really. frankly i think thus far sgu is really digging into what sci fi is all about and i hope to see more of the same in future eps.

any thoughts?

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one that LOL'd over that! Geez. But still, Young should have been thinking of the moral implications there. Maybe some of the tension between he and Telford has to do with his wife?

Comment

Originally posted by Arlan View Post
                            Not saying it's a range thing, saying the crew could decide they've had enough interference from Earth and could use the "bumps" as the excuse not to turn on the stones.
                            That would be a terrible excuse and no one would ever believe it! Yeah lonely stranded people are near suicidal with greif but 'oh we cant use the one way to visit home cuz it could glitch for a few seconds if we use the FTL drive' Not buying it.

Alos, I think it means something for either how the stones work or how the FTL works that going in and out disrupts them. Maybe theyre travelling through the same medium that the stones communicate through, accounting for the vast distance Destiny has travelled?

Comment

Um what? I don't think it was supposed to be funny at all. Other than in the sense that it was the worst possible moment for a thing like that to transpire.
                              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                                It's strange, I think, that a lot of people don't have much of an adverse reaction to Young having sex with Telford's body. Not trying to project any opinions on anyone in particular, but I wonder if people don't care as much because he's a man?

For example, what variable of the scenario would have to be changed for people to get up-in-arms about how "wrong" it is? If you were here over the summer, then you already know one scenario that certainly outraged a decent portion of people

If a woman had taken over Telford's body, would that have been different? How about a man taking over a woman's body and doing the same thing? Etc...

I'm genuninely curious about this.

Also, my curiosity is mostly because I've noticed a surprising amount of people who found this "funny", or at the very least they didn't find it off-putting.

However, (*possible spoilers for upcoming SGU*)

Spoiler:
                                a great many people were very angry over sides from the episode "Sabotage" several months back. Granted, we have no idea if anything happens, but it seemed to suggest Rush having sex with a woman that takes over Camille's body via the body-swap device.

Where do we draw this line, and why?
                                As some pointed out in another thread, there are lots of lot double standards between men and women when it comes to sex. Personally IMO, this situation and the one that was detailed previously, regardless of gender/sexuality are one and the same.

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                                Um what? I don't think it was supposed to be funny at all. Other than in the sense that it was the worst possible moment for a thing like that to transpire.
                                Agreed

Comment

Working...
                                X