Captain America: The First Avenger Movie News/Spoilers/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captain America: The First Avenger Movie News/Spoilers/Discussion

Marvel has agreed a deal with director Joe Johnston to helm First Avenger: Captain America.

The superhero blockbuster, based on a character created in 1941 by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon, focuses on a weak man called Steve Rogers who is injected with an experimental serum which transforms him into a muscular superhero.

Captain America, to be released in 2011, will be set during World War II and lead into Marvel's modern-day ensemble movie The Avengers.

Johnston has been in talks to direct the movie for two years, and producer Kevin Feige told The Hollywood Reporter that his history of working on high-profile popcorn films made him the ideal choice for Captain America.

"This is a guy who designed the vehicles for Star Wars, who storyboarded the convoy action sequence for Raiders Of The Lost Ark," he said. "From Rocketeer to October Sky to The Wolfman, you can look at pieces of his movies and see how they lead to this one."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a...-director.html

Thanks for the info. I so can't wait for this movie.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I'm betting the movie ends with Bucky stuck on an airplane that's about to explode and Cap ending up in water.
      Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
      The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
      I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
      A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
      That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
      Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
      Caboose: They could be worse?
      Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeeley have been hired to write CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER, Marvel’s 2011 Summer tentpole which 10 days ago found Joe Johnston hired to direct.

The scriptwriting duo’s C.V. includes the two NARNIA movies, THE LIFE AND DEATH OF PETER SELLERS and the Ben Kingsley hitman movie YOU KILL ME.

So one hopes quite honestly that they pitched an amazing concept for they could do with CAPTAIN AMERICA and it wasn’t a case of Marvel coming knocking on the door to hire them because there’s nothing on their C.V. to show why they should have this gig.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER is set to be released May 6th 2011.

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movi...in-america.php

Comment

Here’s a superhero tidbit from this week which probably does carry some weight of truth behind it, namely because not only does it sound like the kind of smart move Marvel Films have been making recently but it’s also sourced from Latino Review, who get it more often right than wrong.

LR say that Marvel will be further fleshing out their cross connections of their characters by having Tim Robbins play Howard Stark, the rich billionaire father of Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) and the Howard Hughes like figure (without the insanity) who founded Stark Industries in more than one upcoming movie.

The character is expected to be used for FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA (as that is set during World War II, a time when Howard Stark’s business was thriving and he worked closely with the government) and in flashback scenes in THE AVENGERS and IRON MAN 2.

LR don’t mention this but I wouldn’t be surprised if this also allows Jeff Bridges to return for IRON MAN 2 flashback scenes, showing his close bond with Howard Stark which just adds a little bit of tragedy to what happened to that character when greed took over.

Love the idea. Anything that grows the Marvel universe and further fleshes out this exciting wider expansion is great news to me and well, you can’t really go wrong with Tim Robbins.

Though it’s t.v. actor Gerard Sanders who misses out. He briefly played the character during a slideshow presentation from the first movie but Jon Favreau has made it known he wants an experienced actor to play the character for what will be a more substantial part this time round.

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movi...e-avengers.php

Comment

That actually makes sense, if you look in Iron Man, Captain America's shield is mixed in with a buch of junk in Tony's workshop.
            sigpic
            Banner By JME2

Comment

Well, I do like Tim Robbins. So, if it is true, I can live with it.
              sigpic
              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                That actually makes sense, if you look in Iron Man, Captain America's shield is mixed in with a buch of junk in Tony's workshop.
                that was never supposed to be there, one of the special effects guys put it in there as a joke expecting to be told to take it out but the producers liked it and kept it in.
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                Quotes!
                - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                sigpic

Comment

I love Tim Robbins. Him in Iron Man 2 would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                    that was never supposed to be there, one of the special effects guys put it in there as a joke expecting to be told to take it out but the producers liked it and kept it in.
                    Lol. It'd be very funny if they re-wrote the Captain America film just to incorporate it then.
                    sigpic
                    Banner By JME2

Comment

Boy, Tim Robbins and Robert Downey Jr., two of the best actors, well, anywhere... You can't go wrong with that!

Comment

I still need to know who's playing Cap and Bucky! At the moment, Captain America is the best book on the stands. I just hope it leaves room for the Winter Soldier arc. The Cap movie must end with a)Cap diving into the icy water after Bucky when the airplane went kablooey or b) Stark seeing 'Cap on Ice' several years later-preferably in post-credits fashion.
                        Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                        The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                        I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                        A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                        That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                        Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                        Caboose: They could be worse?
                        Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                          Boy, Tim Robbins and Robert Downey Jr., two of the best actors, well, anywhere... You can't go wrong with that!
                          You won't get any argument from me on that.
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

“Put Lee Marvin and CAPTAIN AMERICA together and you get me…”

42 year old character actor Neal McDonough sure does talk an awful lot with First Showing about the character of CAPTAIN AMERICA for someone who is not involved with Marvel’s big upcoming tentpole…

And he brought up the subject first you’ll see…

Does he know something? Has he held early talks with Marvel for the role of Steve Rogers?

I certainly find his back tracking when asked directly “was that a hint?” to McDonough’s mention of the character. Like I say, he brought it up and then talked a lot about the character (as if he has been thinking this for a while) and then gave us a “we’ll see”.

If he’s not involved in talks with Marvel, he has certainly done his best to get his name out there.

And the more you think about it, the more he is a pretty damn good choice. Of course, visually he looks a lot like the character. Almost as if it could have been based on him.

He is a well built guy, believable as an action hero. As FS point out, he has done an awful lot of War roles in the past (BAND OF BROTHERS, FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS), so he fits straight into the early era of the character.

And he’s a great actor first which like Robert Downey Jr and Christian Bale, is a huge, HUGE, plus.

The only stumbling block is that he is not really that big a name outside of the industry. Not a star… but that shouldn’t matter. The more I look at him, the more I like this choice.

And no I don’t think he is too old (around the same age as Downey Jr) and CAPTAIN AMERICA feels like he should be a little older than the rest. And yes, he does have screen presence.

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movi...you-get-me.php

Comment

Yeah, I think he would do alright as Steve Rogers.
                              sigpic
                              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                              X