No announcement yet.

Telford's communication disruption...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what i mean is sg1 for the most part was true scifi where as sgu is more like something you would see on mtv

Comment

Originally posted by aream2000 View Post
      what i mean is sg1 for the most part was true scifi where as sgu is more like something you would see on mtv
      I'm sorry. I have seen to lose me memo. How do we define true scifi?
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

I still thing that particular scene was very funny, but it does bring up a moral quandary. Really trying to find a way to phrase this without reopening a certain can of worms...

Spoiler:
        Chloe was really drunk. What if her old boyfriend had taken advantage of her and got the scientists body pregnant?

They have arranged for everybody to be able to visit their families back on Earth using other bodies, and I'm sure for a good number of them their family includes a husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend. This issue was bound to come up sooner or later, and I liked how they dealt with it using a main character.

Comment

well the two most well known series that i consider true scifi is star trek: tng and sg-1

Comment

That doesn't give much qualitve indication of true scifi. The point I'm trying to get their is no such thing as true scifi. Its just people different standards
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

I stated in another thread that my feelings on this subject is that anyone who agrees to the swap agrees to whatever might happen in that body. If that is too dicey a prospect, then don't agree to the body swap. Nobody is putting a gun to their heads to be the recipient.

The same would be true for whether it's a man or a woman. If a woman agrees to be a body swap recipient for Chloe, she risks that Chloe might use the body to see "her husband" or "boyfriend." I'm going to assume that agreements need to be made about taking precautions and of course no drug use, etc., but I can't imagine that people aboard the Destiny can interact with their loved ones, but you cannot touch them in anyway.

I agree that I'm more disturbed about Emily's reaction. I think Young and Telford, as I stated, gave up their rights to their bodies during the swap. However, Emily is very much aware that this body is not her husband, although the personality is certainly Everettt's. I can understand to a certain degree that Young and Emily gave into their feelings considering that they have been estranged for a long period of time (I think). Were they suppose to say "I really want to be with you, but you'll have to wait a couple years until we can find a way home?" That's why I think some kind of agreement had to have been made between the body swappers. I know I wouldn't agree to be a body swapper recipient without asking these types of questions.

This body swapping has been done before, both on Star Trek and on SG-1. Granted on SG-1, it was without consent between Daniel and Vala, but what happened to them was accidental. I would think that by the time the SGU crew were using them, certain people agreed to be the vessel of one of the Destiny crew and agreed to give up all control during that swap.

Comment

[QUOTE=curiositykitty;10805837]i think thus far sgu is really digging into what sci fi is all about[/QUOT]

Sorry, you do not know what is Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi is not about humanity, it is about science, and there need not even be humans involved. I could be a show about talking dogs with fictional technology/science, and it would be sci-fi. Furthermore, Sci-Fi does not need to be about pushing boundaries, as long as it is fictional science and/or technology, for example, steampunk could be considered a derivative of Sci-Fi.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost22 View Post
                  I thought it was hilarious. However its the only part i've really enjoyed. I do not want to watch a soap opera. This is ridiculous.
                  Agreed. Watching 15 seasons of Stargate and that was the FIRST time an episode has been so soap opera-ish and annoying that I actually fast forwarded through more than half of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ttsec View Post
                    Sorry, you do not know what is Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi is not about humanity, it is about science, and there need not even be humans involved. I could be a show about talking dogs with fictional technology/science, and it would be sci-fi. Furthermore, Sci-Fi does not need to be about pushing boundaries, as long as it is fictional science and/or technology, for example, steampunk could be considered a derivative of Sci-Fi.
                    I don't think you know what Sci Fi means. What shows do you watch that you think Sci Fi is not about humanity? SCIENCE does not need humans involved, but Science Fiction has always been about how humanity deals with science. From Buck Rogers to Star Trek to Star Wars to Close Encounters of the Third Kind to every science fiction movie and television series that followed.

The reason all those movies and television shows endure is because it pushes the boundaries and explores man's role in the realm of science.

Comment

Oh you meant successful Sci-Fi. Well, successful sci-fi isn' the only scifi. There are plenty of Sci-Fi that is not successful, doesn't involve humans (Sci-Fi book for kids featuring talking animals, I know because I read them when I was little), and doesn't have to be "pushing the boundaries" (although boundaries is always relative).

Comment

science fiction is about a setting with physics and phenomena which are, theoretically, possible. when it gets crazy (talking animals) then its Fantasy.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          science fiction is about a setting with physics and phenomena which are, theoretically, possible. when it gets crazy (talking animals) then its Fantasy.
                          Talking animals are scientifically theoretically possible. That is, if you consider biology a science, which most people do. Nothing in biology says that langauge-capable species all have to be humanoid, human-like, or ape-family-related.

Comment

I wanna see Young Confront Telford about it.
                            It's always suicide mission this, save the planet that. No one ever just stops by to say "Hi!" any more!
                            - Gen. Jack O'Neill

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                              yeah, but I thought my title was WAY catchier. lol

Comment

Originally posted by ttsec View Post
                                Actually by the sounds of things you're the one that doesn't know what scifi is. Science Fiction has ALWAYS been about humanity, the science involved is just a tool used to tell stories that writers otherwise wouldn't be able to, without people, scifi is pointless.

Comment

Working...
                                X