Telford's communication disruption...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lightning Ducj View Post
    I think it's lazy viewing...I guess what I'm saying is that people are used to everything that matters being on the screen. SG:U is taking a tactk that lot is going on but we only see a window into it.. and sometimes we don't get all the answers or all the information until much later. I think therefore a lot of people are jumping to conclusions without enough information based on assuming that what they see on the screen is all that's happening...or that the writers/directors are going to show everything up front. So rather than letting the story unfold and let the gaps fill in over time, people end up complaining over what they perceive as a problem at the moment which is really only incomplete information.
    In general terms I agree with you, and if this specific case was meant to be ambiguous, I'd agree with you here too - but - the blog entries suggest that the writers think it isn't ambiguous, and we ought to know that Young had Telford's permission to use his body for sex:
    As I said, although there is no indication given, logic dictates that Telford would know something like that could happen (since Young IS returning for a conjugal visit) so it’s fair to assume he signed off permission.
    Was the word 'conjugal' used in the episode? I didn't notice it, but could have missed it. If it was, then yes, you could make assumptions from that. If not, well, the viewer can't make assumptions from stuff the writers didn't mention, that's just clean makin' stuff up, not logic.

Comment

Originally posted by jwgrlrrajn View Post
      Imagine if someone switched, let's say, McKay with someone else. The person who switched with him loves lemon meringue pie and has not been able to have it for some time. The person in McKay's body eats the pie, and since McKay is deathly allergic to citrus, the two of them die due to the switched person's irresponsibility.
      I thought that they were doing something similar with Chloe's switcharoo. She was saying that she normally didn't feel that drunk. Then again she is obviously experiencing drunkenness through someone else's body. But it did seem a bit over the top and I thought for a moment that the body Chloe 'inhabited' may have a serious reaction to alcohol or an underlying chronic condition. Obviously that wasn't the case.

As for the 'communication disruption' I have to admit I blurted out a laugh straight away but it was more to do with the TPTB doing that one scene concerning the stones that could be seen a mile away. It's a one trick pony. There are perhaps a few more uncomfortable scenes I could think of but they would never be broadcast. Afterwards though I did think about all the problems with suggestions of sexual assault, pregnancy, disease, the dissociation between loving someone's soul and then having sex with a different body. It seems that no one has maintained a lasting relationship except maybe Rush and the suggestion of a dead spouse (a lot of TV seems to ignore that there is still a significant minority of stable marriages) and that many of them are antagonistic and sometimes cruel to each other.

Comment

Originally posted by jdog View Post
        Telford never asked permission to hijack Youngs decision and command.

How is that any different? Yes hes following orders but hes still using youngs body against his wishes. And hes done it before. I dont see why people are so quick to jump on young when its gone both ways.
        Not only that but Telford hijacked Young's body and is keeping Young on Earth. The IOA, along with Telford, relieved Young of his command, which, in essence, traps him inside Telford's body for an undisclosed period of time. So is Young suppose to go find a nice quiet room to read books in for the next few weeks or months?

Comment

slightly off topic but not entirely, the communication disruption could be something else entirely. say another rush from another universe whose obsession with the destiny led to the death of all his other universe crewmates and he is trying to switch with rush in this universe using the communication devices but it isnt working because this rush isnt using them. so when rush does use them, the bad rush and this rush switch leading to chaos and a really good episode. just my opinions

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum View Post
            Not only that but Telford hijacked Young's body and is keeping Young on Earth. The IOA, along with Telford, relieved Young of his command, which, in essence, traps him inside Telford's body for an undisclosed period of time. So is Young suppose to go find a nice quiet room to read books in for the next few weeks or months?
            Why would it be weeks or months?

Telford and those two went there to dial Earth to bring all those people home right away. A plan had been worked out and they were sent to execute it as soon as possible. It wasn't like they weren't going to be coming back in a day or two (a week tops) regardless...especially those two scientists who probably had little interest in hanging around on Destiny any longer than they needed to.

If the ep had played out differently and Rush hadn't scared Telford off, Telford might have stuck around, but we don't know if he had been ordered to. Guy may be a jerk, but I do think he follows orders.

In no way did I interpret this episode as suggesting that Telford was planning on hanging around in Young's body for weeks or months. He was ordered to execute the plan they had. Nothing else, imo, suggested that he wasn't going to return within several days...even if they failed to dial Earth. Unless I missed someone saying so.
            IMO always implied.

Comment

What I am surprised I haven't seen more discussion on is what Telford is doing at the end of the episode going to see Everett's wife. I wonder if he's there to be a douche and get Everett in trouble or if he's going to start pretending he's Everett when he's not. Since she's now seen Everett in that body twice, she may just assume its him.

Comment

Originally posted by Croatoan View Post
                What I am surprised I haven't seen more discussion on is what Telford is doing at the end of the episode going to see Everett's wife. I wonder if he's there to be a douche and get Everett in trouble or if he's going to start pretending he's Everett when he's not. Since she's now seen Everett in that body twice, she may just assume its him.
                If I was the writer of the episode, in the last scene of Telford at the door, I'd intend to make every viewer think that he's going to pretend to be Young, in order to get some favours with his wife.. And then in another episode, reveal that it was for something completely different...
                But I don't know anymore if the writers are that subtle; I bet it's for the sex.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                  Why would it be weeks or months?

Telford and those two went there to dial Earth to bring all those people home right away. A plan had been worked out and they were sent to execute it as soon as possible. It wasn't like they weren't going to be coming back in a day or two (a week tops) regardless...especially those two scientists who probably had little interest in hanging around on Destiny any longer than they needed to.
                  You're assuming that Telford would give up his command of the Destiny if the plan went wrong. Telford has been trying to undermine Young since the show started, and once he received the go-ahead to assume command, I don't see him giving it back, regardless of whether he makes it back to his own body.

Comment

Plus he did say he was ordered to take command. IMO that was for good.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum View Post
                      You're assuming that Telford would give up his command of the Destiny if the plan went wrong. Telford has been trying to undermine Young since the show started, and once he received the go-ahead to assume command, I don't see him giving it back, regardless of whether he makes it back to his own body.
                      Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      Plus he did say he was ordered to take command. IMO that was for good.
                      I watched the ep again yesterday. Young was not going to allow the attempt to dial Earth. Telford was ordered to carry it out. Anything beyond that is open for interpretation and of course assumptions.

He did say he was there to take command, but it wasn't explicitly stated that he had taken command permanently regardless of whether the attempt to dial Earth failed or not. Even if that were the case, imo, it still does not excuse away what Young did.

Course I am adamantly opposed to the SGC allowing these people outside the confines of the SGC. If it were me, they would all be confined to base and they would have zero contact with family/friends...except maybe in the form of pre-screened written correspondence.

If Young was going to be stuck in Telford body for months, well too bad. Though I think that would have only been dependent on how disciplined those on Destiny were. Telford is one person. He is relying on people on Destiny to keep following his orders otherwise they could trip the stones (even if a couple of guys were guarding them) and get Young back. Lots of what ifs....
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

If Young was going to be stuck in Telford body for months, then he could have stayed home with his wife, and naturally Destiny would switch in or out of FTL every time they got busy.
                        "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                        Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                        Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                        Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                        Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Working...
                        X