No announcement yet.

Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch them all, but have a crossword or su doku handy in case you sense smush. The shippiness is often hard to avoid by winding, cos it might be as much as six or seven lines, but they might be scattered throughout the ep or infused within dialogue that's relevant to the main plot.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
      Watch them all, but have a crossword or su doku handy in case you sense smush. The shippiness is often hard to avoid by winding, cos it might be as much as six or seven lines, but they might be scattered throughout the ep or infused within dialogue that's relevant to the main plot.
      Madeleine is quite correct. I find the music is a clue, if you hear violins smothered in syrup, it's gonna be mush.
      It goes back to being Stargate when the mushy music ends.

FF
      sigpic

Comment

I think that the Sam/Jack thing had potential, but the writers haven't progressed it at all in the past, like, five years! The whole thing is stagnant, stale, and has lost any appeal that it had to begin with. Every time that slow, 'shippy, melodramatic violin/piano music comes on, I just groan. Either get them together or toss the thing out the airlock -- it's just too drawn-out to even be plausible anymore.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by SnoggingPicard
          I think that the Sam/Jack thing had potential, but the writers haven't progressed it at all in the past, like, five years! The whole thing is stagnant, stale, and has lost any appeal that it had to begin with. Every time that slow, 'shippy, melodramatic violin/piano music comes on, I just groan. Either get them together or toss the thing out the airlock -- it's just too drawn-out to even be plausible anymore.
          That seems to be the opinion of my friends who are casual viewers (as opposed to online Fans with a capital F like thee and me and everyone else on the board) of the series.

They don't, for the most part, have strong views either way on the Jack/Sam thing but twice now people have said to me that they are surpised that the storyline is still dangling, that it should have been resolved one way or another by now.

I'm just hoping it goes quietly away and we can get on with the important stuff - you know, round, spinny thing, gateway to other planets, main premise of the movie/show?

FF
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox
            I'm just hoping it goes quietly away and we can get on with the important stuff - you know, round, spinny thing, gateway to other planets, main premise of the movie/show? FF
            Oooh, you mean actual shows that deal with the actual topic of the whole series? ::gets dreamy, faraway look:: It seems so...wonderful!

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

the hell with jack

sam/daniel
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

So, this seems to be the safe place to voice my reaction to AT saying that there's a possibility for J/S ship next season. Ready? @&#*@$()!#*!&#*!@!_#*#*!(#*!#*)$%*#(%&#*(%^@*(^@!$&)@*)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, now that I got the ban worthy expletives out of the way, why in the world do they have to bring that crap up? This is one of the main reasons I can't look forward to any RDA appearances.

I think I'd rather plunge my head into a toilet. Oh wait. No difference.
                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                  So, this seems to be the safe place to voice my reaction to AT saying that there's a possibility for J/S ship next season. Ready? @&#*@$()!#*!&#*!@!_#*#*!(#*!#*)$%*#(%&#*(%^@*(^@!$&)@*)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, now that I got the ban worthy expletives out of the way, why in the world do they have to bring that crap up? This is one of the main reasons I can't look forward to any RDA appearances.

I think I'd rather plunge my head into a toilet. Oh wait. No difference.
                  Please tell me she didn't say that. I've already been depressed enough that he was coming back at all and there were five possibilities I'd have to turn the show off.

I used to love the character of Sam. Ever since they killed Martouf/Lantash they've taken her down a road that has steadily weakened her. He was the only possiblity they've had for her and even him they should have left very, very subtle, guessing, NOT this blatant disgusting tripe they are shoving down our throats as the S/J "ship".

What is it that they just don't "get" it that the subtle stuff is for the show? We, the fic writers, will do the rest, thank you.

It's to bad they don't permanently lose the Jack O'Neill character. Just think of all the Drama they could get out of it. And then everyone could carry on as if nothing happened like they have when all of the others died. Oh, dear, you've started me on my soapbox and I hate it up here. Getting off now.

Pagan

Pagan Twylight's
                  Stargate SG-1
                  Tok'Ra FriendlyFanfiction
                  http://www.pagantwylight.com
                  Symbiotica
                  http://tokra.fandomnet.com/fic2/index.php
                  There comes a moment of sadness, with the setting of the sun.
                  Not for the sins committed, but for the things I have not done.
                  Minot Savage

Comment

Ship degrades both characters, IMO, and the fact that they're bringing RDA back basically to parade him through this ridiculous farce of a relationship only makes it all that much more pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by kalicokatt
                      Please tell me she didn't say that. I've already been depressed enough that he was coming back at all and there were five possibilities I'd have to turn the show off.
                      Sadly, from the convention report on the Gateworld homepage:

When asked by one fan if there is any hope for Sam-Jack relationship fans ("shippers") in the new season to come, the actress surprised the audience with a very specific answer: "Yes."
                      I have one very specific answer to that, too. Only, it's four letters instead of three.
                      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by kalicokatt

I used to love the character of Sam. Ever since they killed Martouf/Lantash they've taken her down a road that has steadily weakened her. He was the only possiblity they've had for her and even him they should have left very, very subtle, guessing, NOT this blatant disgusting tripe they are shoving down our throats as the S/J "ship".

What is it that they just don't "get" it that the subtle stuff is for the show? We, the fic writers, will do the rest, thank you.

It's to bad they don't permanently lose the Jack O'Neill character. Just think of all the Drama they could get out of it. And then everyone could carry on as if nothing happened like they have when all of the others died. Oh, dear, you've started me on my soapbox and I hate it up here. Getting off now.

Pagan
                        I actually kindasorta think the opposite. The worst things about the Sam/Jack ship (the degrading of Sam's character, the degrading of Jack's character, the demolishment of the Jack/Daniel friendship and the Sam/Daniel friendship (apparently, because MS actually has chemistry with the both of them, seeing him in the same frame with either of them would highlight the total absense of any chemistry they had with each other, and therefore the Jack/Daniel friendship and the Sam/Daniel friendship had to die), as well as the utter tepidness of it all) could probably have been avoided if TPTB had just picked a side, and gone with it.

Instead, they tried to make everybody happy by being shippy without actually coming out and saying they were being shippy. This resulted in lots of veiled hints. It resulted in constipated looks from Jack. It resulted in a total lack of any caring for anybody besides each other, even their friends. And it resulted in a complete loss of independence, confidence, and judgement on Sam's part. And the both of them came across as uncaring and wishy-washy.

TPTB tried to make everybody happy. I'm pretty sure they ended up making nobody happy. Seasons 7 and 8 were, by a landslide, the worst seasons in SG-1, because they assassinated everybody's character in order to put Sam and Jack together without actually saying they were together. I was so, so happy when S9 came around, and I started to see the characters I knew and loved again. Please tell me they're not going to go back to the way it was in S7 and S8.
                        Last edited by Katerine; 31 March 2006, 04:37 PM.

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          Ship degrades both characters, IMO, and the fact that they're bringing RDA back basically to parade him through this ridiculous farce of a relationship only makes it all that much more pathetic.
                          S/J in particular fails as a result of the PTB's proven inability to make it a marriage of equals. In just about every instance, Sam has pursued Jack like a lovesick melodrama heroine, while Jack appears indifferent or awkward. Quite aside from the absence of chemistry, these are not the characters we knew and loved, but rather a pair of refugees from a sub-Austen snetimental novel.
                          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I didn't know about the existence of this thread, bravo . I don't care for this pairing, Sam always looked so desperate pinning for a guy who couldn't have cared less, and never took her seriously. And there was no chemistry or UST between them, nothing at all, plus the way tptb handled that ship was disastrous.
                            Here season eight ended only a couple months, i didn't watch it, not because of the ship, but because i got bored of the show, and Jack got on my nerves. I'm really looking forward to nine season, since there will be no Jack, and no forced ship, i hate it when tptb try to shove things down my throat.
                            I really like what i've been hearing, no mention of Jack during season nine, no J/S which is perefect, and i think it was a wise decision to just forget that the whole thing ever existed.

Comment

Originally posted by Luz
                              I really like what i've been hearing, no mention of Jack during season nine, no J/S which is perfect, and i think it was a wise decision to just forget that the whole thing ever existed.
                              You've obviously missed the spoilers for season 10, then. *sigh* Season 9, apparently, was only a short reprieve.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                                You've obviously missed the spoilers for season 10, then. *sigh* Season 9, apparently, was only a short reprieve.
                                Season nine will start here after season two of Atlantis ends, and they're showing Conversion next thursday, so it might take a while. For now i'll enjoy season two of Atlantis, and then when SG1's season nine begins i'll give the show another try, and i'll see about season ten when it begins. Also by that time you'll all have seen it, so i'll know what to expect.
                                Last edited by Luz; 01 April 2006, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X