Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    Because Rodney is too good a match for her.
    Personally I think that pretty much all the men on the show are way too good for Sam as she is now. Pete had a lucky escape.

Actually thinking about it, there is one man I think deserves her. Maybe I should become a Sam/Felgar shipper. The perfect match.

Ali P

Comment

Originally posted by Ali888
      Personally I think that pretty much all the men on the show are way too good for Sam as she is now. Pete had a lucky escape.

Actually thinking about it, there is one man I think deserves her. Maybe I should become a Sam/Felgar shipper. The perfect match.

Ali P
      Aargh! I just think the writers should stay away from any pairings.

Comment

Originally posted by keshou
        Totally agree. Sam has such good chemistry with McKay (imo, of course), I'd go that direction. With them being on different shows it wouldn't be lurking in every episode but could add a little spice to the mix.
        You can call it a "little spice" if you like. I prefer to describe it more as sexual chemsitry on the order of lightning bolts
        sigpic
        http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

*Shudders at the thought of seeing Felger every week...*

I've been catching up on the eps of Season 7 that I missed, and it is really bizarre how the 'ship stuff is dragged into EVERY SINGLE EPISODE. It's like the ep can't be complete without some allusion to the stupid thing. When the Pres. of the United States and Senator Kinsey were arguing the *&!# question like a couple of fans on the 'net would , I was almost ready to give up.

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
            *Shudders at the thought of seeing Felger every week...*

I've been catching up on the eps of Season 7 that I missed, and it is really bizarre how the 'ship stuff is dragged into EVERY SINGLE EPISODE. It's like the ep can't be complete without some allusion to the stupid thing. When the Pres. of the United States and Senator Kinsey were arguing the *&!# question like a couple of fans on the 'net would , I was almost ready to give up.

That, in my opinion, was one of the low points in the series. The President has nothing better to do than to worry about Jack and Sam's feelings. Sheesh.

I also didn't like the insinuation that anyone who didn't like the ship was bad, bad, bad like Kinsey.

Jace
            Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

It's about freaking time Sam got together w/ someone who didn't look like he could be her dad. She's a woman w/ needs, damn it! WAit, maybe that's me. LOL. Seriously, I wanna see her happy.

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
              Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

Originally posted by jerin
                It's about freaking time Sam got together w/ someone who didn't look like he could be her dad. She's a woman w/ needs, damn it! WAit, maybe that's me. LOL. Seriously, I wanna see her happy.
                I must admit, I was somewhat squicked out when they brought in Jacob (and I was only a very casual viewer at the time, no way a fan) as he looked so like Jack and was so obvious a contemporary of his, it was just too close.
                No disrespect to Carmen who was absolutely fab in the role and I wouldn't have wished for anyone else, he was so good.

I don't have a problem with spring/autumn relationships in general, heavens, two sets of my friends are in very long term relationships with more years between them than Sam and Jack. But I do have a problem when one of the partners is so like the parent of the younger partner, it feels a little creepy. And with Sam's sad childhood, she is an absolutely texbook case for wanting a relationship with a father figure.

FF - who feels she must say again that she really has no problems with other people liking S/J, she just wishes it hadn't been pushed in her face ad nauseum. I'm sure the fan's fanfic and own ideas about S/J far outshine what they got in the show in any case, sometimes canon is less satisfying than fanon.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  Why start trusting what TPTB say now?
                  Because they really really really mean it this time?

Originally posted by Jace021903
                  I also didn't like the insinuation that anyone who didn't like the ship was bad, bad, bad like Kinsey.
                  But I thought we all were bad?

oh yeah.. I'm back now.
                  The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by jerin
                    Isn't she already happy though?
                    It always seems to me that she's quite contented within herself until the writers suddenly decide that it's time for her to pine for Jack again. Three quarters of the time she's happy working on naquadah research, working on motorcycles, visiting Cassandra, going through the Stargate exploring new worlds. Then "bang" we have an episode like "Grace" that tells us that the contented exterior is all a lie... that she doesn't really know what she wants. "Huh?"

There are some people who are content and happy to be single... surprising as that concept is to most of us... it's true.

I don't have problems with ship being obvious with lots of sassy UST, however, my biggest problem is that this one isn't obvious enough. It's very half hearted and sporadic. I have always thought that if two people are attracted to each other, it should be fairly evident 99% of the time and they often go head to head in spite of themselves and their regular interaction should reflect that. But with Sam and Jack, their normal interaction is that of superior officer to team member that when ship is introduced it's so abrupt... it interrupts the normal rhythm of the show. Hence, I cringe.
                    sigpic
                    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I have no problem with people liking Sam/Jack ships but I know that there would be no way in the world that I'd ever read any fiction that included the two. No offense to the people who do write the two together.

But I couldn't see Jack being happy with Sam ever or vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                        Isn't she already happy though?
                        Hasn't been looking it, lately.

It always seems to me that she's quite contented within herself until the writers suddenly decide that it's time for her to pine for Jack again. Three quarters of the time she's happy working on naquadah research, working on motorcycles, visiting Cassandra, going through the Stargate exploring new worlds. Then "bang" we have an episode like "Grace" that tells us that the contented exterior is all a lie... that she doesn't really know what she wants. "Huh?"
                        All I can think is that it was in Grace that Sam realised she wasn'y like the other kids in SG-1. She was a girly, which means she uses the women's locker room and needs babies to be complete. All the motorcycle maintenance, scientific genius and military skill is just a distraction, obviously. I mean, she can't really want a career, any more than she'd drink pints; she's a girl.

There are some people who are content and happy to be single... surprising as that concept is to most of us... it's true.
                        I'm sort-of surprised, being discontentedly single, but on the other hand, I'm a guy. Why isn't Daniel - especially Daniel - pining for someone? And if Jack and Sam are so meant to be, how come there's never the slightest sign of Jack yearning back in her direction?

Oh yes; because he's manly, and thus merely the passive receiver of adoration! (And at this point, I'm abusing the sarcastic smiley).

I don't have problems with ship being obvious with lots of sassy UST, however, my biggest problem is that this one isn't obvious enough. It's very half hearted and sporadic. I have always thought that if two people are attracted to each other, it should be fairly evident 99% of the time and they often go head to head in spite of themselves and their regular interaction should reflect that. But with Sam and Jack, their normal interaction is that of superior officer to team member that when ship is introduced it's so abrupt... it interrupts the normal rhythm of the show. Hence, I cringe.
                        Plus, wrong. As mentioned above, it's not the age difference, it's the fact that he describes her Dad - in fun or otherwise - as being 'like a brother'.
                        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                          Hasn't been looking it, lately.
                          A sudden realization perhaps that the biological clock is ticking

All I can think is that it was in Grace that Sam realised she wasn'y like the other kids in SG-1. She was a girly, which means she uses the women's locker room and needs babies to be complete. All the motorcycle maintenance, scientific genius and military skill is just a distraction, obviously. I mean, she can't really want a career, any more than she'd drink pints; she's a girl.
                          I daresay the fairytale is so far incomplete...

I'm sort-of surprised, being discontentedly single, but on the other hand, I'm a guy. Why isn't Daniel - especially Daniel - pining for someone? And if Jack and Sam are so meant to be, how come there's never the slightest sign of Jack yearning back in her direction?
                          Valid questions... I'm sure... ones that I suspect we will never be given answers to.

Oh yes; because he's manly, and thus merely the passive receiver of adoration! (And at this point, I'm abusing the sarcastic smiley).
                          NO... REALLY...
                          Keep it up... sarcasm becomes you...

Plus, wrong. As mentioned above, it's not the age difference, it's the fact that he describes her Dad - in fun or otherwise - as being 'like a brother'.
                          The association does cause the blood turn cold...
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                            When I first started rewatching the old eps I'd missed in the beginning, I was laughing a bit at the rabid-feminist-Sam from COTG, Emancipation, Broca Divide, etc. Now I miss her so much . Where's the girl who said "Just because my reproductive organs are inside instead of outside doesn't mean I can't handle anything you can?" Not that characters shouldn't develop, or that Sam shouldn't want love and family, but mooning over Jack is so...yech. It's such a different person, and a completely different character. I honestly didnt' mind the D & C declaration, because people have feelings, but people can get over them, do their jobs, and NOT be consumed by emotion. An attraction that was never acted on and eventually forgotten would've STRENGTHENED the characters in my eyes. That was what "none of this has to leave this room" implied to me. Apparently the PTB didn't intend that implication. And of COURSE "strong female" is an oxymoron; you have to choose one or the other .
                            Last edited by yasureubetcha; 02 July 2005, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
                              Not that characters shouldn't develop, or that Sam shouldn't want love and family, but mooning over Jack is so...yech. It's such a different person, and a completely different character. I honestly didnt' mind the D & C declaration, because people have feelings, but people can get over them, do their jobs, and NOT be consumed by emotion. An attraction that was never acted on and eventually forgotten would've STRENGTHENED the characters in my eyes. That was what "none of this has to leave this room" implied to me. Apparently the PTB didn't intend that implication. And of COURSE "strong female" is an oxymoron; you have to choose one or the other .
                              I'm so with you. I thought, sure acknowlege the attraction & move on. I think one of the problems is, as Joe M. recently said, the writers themselves are divided on the "ship" issue.
                              I think they overdid the Sam lovelife storyline in s7 & 8. I think wanting a family could be an issue for any member of the team. Given their jobs, their personal lives always take a back seat. I can see Sam thinking she'd like a husband and kids, but not that she's been secretly miserable all this time without them.
                              And certainly not that Jack is Mr. Right. I've never seen it. Some attraction, sure. They're not blind. And he's her mentor--so there could be an element of hero worship in the early days. But over the years, she's got to have developed a more balanced view of him after all they've seen and done.
                              Anyway, really for me, any of the team members getting together is kind of incestuous. To me, their (the team's) bond is more than romantic.

Comment

[COLOR=DarkRed][QUOTE=jckfan55]I'm so with you. I thought, sure acknowlege the attraction & move on. I can see Sam thinking she'd like a husband and kids, but not that she's been secretly miserable all this time without them.
                                And certainly not that Jack is Mr. Right. I've never seen it. Some attraction, sure. They're not blind. And he's her mentor--so there could be an element of hero worship in the early days. But over the years, she's got to have developed a more balanced view of him after all they've seen and done.

I agree with both of you regarding the strong female issue and about it being time that she moved on. I miss Sam's strong, independent side. Perhaps the writers DO feel "strong female" is an oxymoron. Pfft!

I also don't think that she needs to be in a relationship to be happy. Most people in the real world are not happily paired off. However, I do believe she'd be happier not pining for someone who obviously doesn't feel the same way. If he truly loved her, he'd have done something about it. If love IS in the stars for her, she should be with someone else. It's not the age difference that bothers me regarding them. It's the likeness between her dad & Jack.

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
                                Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

Working...
                                X