Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fems View Post
    Yes, I prefer to believe it was a cat she got from the pound or something and just gave him the name Schrödinger as she had to name him something and thought it would be "nice" for such an advanced alien. Because really, who gives their cat away?
    yeah, that's what I think... I don't think it was her cat...

Comment

SOLITUDES

Synopsis

Colonel O'Neill and Captain Carter are separated from Jackson and Teal'c during a Stargate journey, and are trapped on a desolate ice world with no way of escape.

General Discussion

After some freak energy burst Teal’c and Daniel arrive back at the SGC without Jack and Sam. They are literally thrown through the gate and believe Jack and Sam were not far behind them. Meanwhile we see Jack and Sam on an ice planet, with no working DHD and no way to get home. I love this episode, I love everything that happens at the SGC, and everything that happens in the ice planet and how it all interlinks. It is great to see the team spirit, Daniel and Teal’s are determined to work out what happened to Jack and Sam, from initially thinking they are on the original planet, to mounting a massive search and rescue operation to every other possible planet within a certain distance to eventually realising that there is a second stargate on earth. Daniel becomes very much the scientist in this episode, working out the complexities of gate travel in the absence of Sam, and Teal’c continues to be the warrior he is determined to keep searching till his friends are found. We also see Hammond in a difficult position, obviously concerned for the members of his flagship team, but also having to be professional and deal with situation sensibly.
      Meanwhile on the ice planet (as we don’t realise it is earth at this point) we find Jack and Sam, also flung from the gate and knocked unconscious, when they wake up Sam is relatively uninjured but Jack is pretty badly hurt. Sam jumps into action with her medical skills, then becomes the scientist again as they try to find a way to make the stargate work and get home.

Sam and Jack

Well this episode is pretty much a 45 min Sam and Jack fest isn’t it? For me this is where the bond and the closeness starts that later develops into love between them. We have already seen that they are becoming close as friends, not just as team members, but the events of this episode enhance that further I feel and it just continues to develop from this point, although it still takes them both a couple of years before it heads them on the head and they realise it!
      There are many levels to the relationship we see in this episode. There is the working relationship, Jack being the strong leader, making orders but also supporting and encouraging his junior officer. Then we see Sam becoming the leader due to Jack being injured, making decisions for herself and her CO, using her medical knowledge, her science knowledge and her survival skills. Then we see the friendship, the bond. The chance for Sam and Jack to learn a bit more about each other, the fact that they are facing death together. Jack remains very military and optimistic, Sam is a little more emotional, deeply scared not only by the fact they are trapped with seemingly no way home, but also fear of losing Jack and being left alone, and eventually dying herself, but she is supported by Jack and encouraged to keep going to try and find a way to make the stargate work.
      So many beautiful and heart wrenching moments between them, the looks between them are wonderful. I do love the sidearm scene, I always wonder about that, and as sure as I am that it is innocent, I can’t help wondering, does Jack always have a sidearm on his left hip, I know Sam normally only carries one on her right side, and I can’t help wondering if in that situation wouldn’t you just take them off anyway, but without going too much into it, it makes for a nice scene and I love how Jack tells Sam no giggling. The scene where Jack orders Sam to go to the surface and leave him, and calls her Sam, tells her it was an honour to serve with her, then her coming back down after realising there is nothing there and curling up next to Jack and telling him he can sleep now makes me cry every time, in fact I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it and writing it, and when they are rescued Sam’s concern over Jack still is just beautiful. I think rewatching this episode when you know the outcome of their relationship, just makes it seem so more emotional, and you can’t help but imagine that this and many of the other situations they have found themselves in can only lead to such a deep love between them.

Favourite Dialogue

Well I could pretty much write the whole Sam and Jack transcript here, so I’ve decided to go for something other than them

JACKSON: [To Teal'c] What happens when you dial your own phone number? Wrong person to ask. [To Hammond] What happens when you dial your own phone number?
      Summary

Overall a beautiful episode, I could probably write a thesis on this episode but alas I don’t have time, so I’m sorry if I have glossed over so much in this review, but hey that’s what you guys are for to discuss this further. I would just like to say though that my hats go off to Rik and Amanda for their amazing acting skills in this episode, you can see the chemistry they have between them and this episode with any other than them would not have had the impact this did, they are truly talented.
      sigpic
      Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

sigpic
        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

I love your review of Solitudes Suzi!

You describe exactly how I feel and for all the reasons you mentioned it is one of my favourite episodes!

Virtual greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen!
          sigpic
          Made by the talented Meredithe5

Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility - Amanda Tapping

My Rainbow Run for Mila raised $2672.5 CAD for Sanctuary For Kids! Many thanks to everyone who donated in honour of my beloved niece https://www.facebook.com/RainbowRunForMila

Comment

The shippy holidays have just begun . . . .

By Nynaeve506

Please share these invites with your friends
            and use the sigs and avis to let everyone know how they can
            join us for some great Sam/Jack holiday fun!!!!!

Join us for Shipmas 2012!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jolinar_of_Malkshur View Post
              Rewatch Ramblings for Singularity - this is my longest review yet, oops! Sorry about the length, I just really like this ep, haha. Bloody character development always reeling me in...

I don't think I'll ever quite catch up with the rewatch, I always seem to be a couple of eps behind. Too much uni work to focus on!
              I luv your reviews and hope you can continue to squeeze them out around your schoolwork (which of course must come first!)

SOLITUDES

I like that it shows Jack valued his marriage and didn't just move on from his relationship with a shrug and an "oh well, tat didn't work out". While normally he doesn't allow anyone to see his inner feelings, we see them here in the story of how he walked out of enemy territory by wanting to get home to Sarah, and then again while unconscious, calling out for her. It shows a man that loved his wife, despite his inability to show her in a way that she needed.

This is what makes us all know (and Sam finds out), this is a loyal man who feels deeply although is not verbally communicative about it (that's ok with Sam who is a similar type personality).

I don't like that Sam made an assumption that the planet was a desolate wasteland because how many times had they been to planets where civilization was a long ways from the gate? But perhaps the mountain she was on was up high enough that she knew if she couldn't see anything from that height, any civilization was too far off for her to go for help and neither of them would survive but would die alone, so better to die together than to go for help that, IF it exists, she couldn't possibly make it to before dying herself.

I also don't like thinking about how someone rightly pointed out that she could have dialed a warmer planet. That never crossed my mind and I block out that bit of logic whenever I watch the episode
              sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post

I don't like that Sam made an assumption that the planet was a desolate wasteland because how many times had they been to planets where civilization was a long ways from the gate? But perhaps the mountain she was on was up high enough that she knew if she couldn't see anything from that height, any civilization was too far off for her to go for help and neither of them would survive but would die alone, so better to die together than to go for help that, IF it exists, she couldn't possibly make it to before dying herself.
                Remember that Sam was injured already and that it had presumably taken her quite a bit of effort to climb out. They had little to no food or water (or gas to melt snow) left once she was out there and all she could see was snow and snowy mountains. There were no signs of civilization nearby and she would have no idea as to which direction to start looking. She was freezing, tired, weak, injured, hungry and atop a snowy mountain/glacier with a gate that wasn't working and a commanding officer who was dying... I don't blame her for giving up; even if she had somehow managed to find 'natives' after walking for days at such great height then she could never get help for Jack in time and would never be able to return home (unless maybe she had somehow found the new Tollan homeworld or an equally advanced race but they probably wouldn't have their gate/DHD buried in ice).

I also don't like thinking about how someone rightly pointed out that she could have dialed a warmer planet. That never crossed my mind and I block out that bit of logic whenever I watch the episode
                I actually don't think it's all that strange; this is the first year of the Program and they have encountered how many friendly natives? The only possible planets that she could have found shelter that come to mind are Simarka, the Land of Light, P3X-519 (First Commandment), P3X-562 (crystal entities), P3X-774 (Nox), Argos, Cimmeria, and Hanka.

Sam might not feel comfortable going to Simarka just in case they encounter any Mongols other than the Shavadai and even their camp was quite a walk from the Stargate (in Sam and Jack's conditions), not to mention that it's questionable whether they could have helped them. The Land of Light people are so far behind in technology and medicine that it's doubtful they could help, not to mention she would have to drag Jack all the way through the dark side before reaching any civilization (and that's hoping no one got reinfected again). The cave people from P3X-519 are even worse off and we have no idea what their status is and whether they would welcome Earthlings (and again, the gate is a couple of miles from civilization). The crystal entities are incapable of helping and there is nothing on the planet for her and Jack to survive on since all we saw was yellow sand. The Nox presumably buried their 'gate or at least put a big rock in front of it, as the SGC needed the Tollan to contact them. We have no idea what's going on Argos and it's more than likely that many of its natives if not all of them have left the area surrounding the gate once they had the freedom to explore. Not to mention that they are so incredibly naive and technologically and medically behind that they would be of no help at all. The folks on Cimmeria might be able to help if they're not still angry about SG-1 breaking Thor's Hammer and if someone is around the 'gate, as that too was quite a walk from their village (and Kendra's camp was even farther away and she's most likely the only one that could help by using the healing device). Hanka is probably still abandoned.

Of course, this is all assuming Sam's head injury came after she had reached the surface and tumbled down to the cave and not from her exit out of the wormhole, meaning she was still able to think clearly without a concussion at the time. Not to mention that it would require her to actually remember all the dialing addresses, even though they usually only refer to them by the random designations her computer system made up or the name the natives have given their planet. Who knows if they are even aware of the actual dialing addresses? Plus, if I recall correctly Daniel is usually the one doing the DHD dialing (off-world) so it's possible Sam wasn't even all that familiar with all the different glyphs and more or less only knows the address to Earth...
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I luv your reviews and hope you can continue to squeeze them out around your schoolwork (which of course must come first!)
                  Thank you - I'll definitely carry on with them, I might just be playing catch-up for a while. But knowing that people enjoy reading them certainly gives me extra motivation!
                  sigpic
                  Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

*facepalm*

...I never thought of that. guh!

For continuity, they should have addressed it in the episode, the way fems did -location by location. Perhaps she did not remember the symbols for the other, friendly worlds, and like fems pointed out: the possibility of reaching a civilization that could intervene medically for Jack was slim to none, even if they would have been warmer and had food and water. Or maybe the active use of the other gate made it impossible for the Arctic gate to dial out at all.

But they did a great job in making me forget that it was possible for Sam to dial out to another address.
                    sigpic
                    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Even before becoming a shipper I have always really lied the way they showed Sam and Jack's relationship in Solitudes. So much faith and respect, also warmth I think. It also shows what kind of people they are, they are in lot of trouble and they both are very much concerned about each other.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post

Of course, this is all assuming Sam's head injury came after she had reached the surface and tumbled down to the cave and not from her exit out of the wormhole, meaning she was still able to think clearly without a concussion at the time. Not to mention that it would require her to actually remember all the dialing addresses, even though they usually only refer to them by the random designations her computer system made up or the name the natives have given their planet. Who knows if they are even aware of the actual dialing addresses? Plus, if I recall correctly Daniel is usually the one doing the DHD dialing (off-world) so it's possible Sam wasn't even all that familiar with all the different glyphs and more or less only knows the address to Earth...
                        and we all know that with a concussion Sam's decisions aren't very smart...
                        sigpic
                        My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                          That's an understatement!
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Starry Starry Night View Post
                            Even before becoming a shipper I have always really lied the way they showed Sam and Jack's relationship in Solitudes. So much faith and respect, also warmth I think. It also shows what kind of people they are, they are in lot of trouble and they both are very much concerned about each other.
                            Same here.
                            sigpic
                            sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

as for dialling another planet, the way I look at it, Sam thought the gate wasnt working, she hadn't worked out she was getting a busy tone and that they were on earth, had she figured that out then perhaps she would have dialled another address and got back to earth that way
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                                Oh yeah, you've got that!
                                Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                                X