Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Kunoichi View Post
    I've been following this thread for ages now and I only asked because I'm interested in how important the Ship is to other people. Personally it is important to me, but not as important as quality stories and general excellent character development - these are the things that drew me to SG1 in the first place, if the ship hadn't happened, I would have still watched. The ship is the icing on a very good cake! I find it interesting how different members view the shippiness and how this leads to different interpretations of storylines and character moments. Some of the scenes where people see romantic ship amaze me, as either I haven't spotted anything or my interpretation is friendship (although it could be argued that for S/J friendship is the important factor that led on to the romantic ship).
    For me it really depends on the show itself. I watch tons of shows, some with ships, others without (perhaps a fling here and there with a non-important character) and some with the possibility of ship. It really depends on the genre, the story plot/arc, the characters themselves, if there's chemistry between characters and how feasible (and credible) a ship really is etc etc.

    For Stargate: SG-1 I would have continued to watch if there hadn't been a Sam/Jack ship, although I would have hated it if there had been other shipping (with the regulars/leads) because I just don't see any chemistry between them and others. All of the above is probably one of the reasons I disliked seasons 9 and 10, simply because the Daniel/Vala ship was too forced (imo) and SG-1 simply lost their... 'thing'. If the entire show had been like season 9 and 10, I don't know if I would have gone beyond the pilot or a few episodes, but the first eight seasons just had excellent characters (with or without ship) and a great story line.

    I must admit though that I did start watching Stargate: Atlantis and even Stargate: Universe in the hopes of seeing more Sam/Jack. I think I watched most of Atlantis, but it just didn't work for me. I didn't really like any of the characters more than the others and the story wasn't good enough to thoroughly enjoy it. I didn't watch anything beyond the pilot for SGU because it was like a soap opera on a spaceship to me and just wasn't really Stargate for me. Although I did watch a few scenes from the eps that had Jack or Sam in them.

    Spoilered because it's about shipping in other shows.

    Spoiler:


    I also watch Grey's Anatomy,

    Spoiler:
    where I don't really ship anything although I think Christina/Someone is always interesting because her character is awesome (although I liked her best with Burke, I think). Derek/Meredith was more or less established from the pilot, which I liked and throughout the show there's been so much angst and confirmation and breakups that I really continue to like them together. But I would've still liked the show without them shipped together, although I'm not sure if I will continue to watch the next season since these days it's mostly character based (instead of story) and some of the (good) cast will be leaving and the rest of the characters probably won't be enough.


    Recently I started watching Castle,
    Spoiler:
    but I really dislike the shipping. Mostly because it's so obvious and Beckett and Castle both think they're awesome and very attractive and it all seems very forced to me. And there's the kissing-thing, which always has the potential to ruin a ship for me because they did it as "a distraction" and there are feelings and blah blah. Both have no problem having relationships/flings with others, but are upset when the other has one... to me it's the wrong way to ship. And I only watch the show because I somewhat like the cases and am still waiting for all my other shows to start.


    For House
    Spoiler:
    I don't really need to ship, simply because House himself is awesome. Although I liked the aggressive flirting thing he had going with Cuddy and it went a bit downhill once they got together. But just watched the season premiere today and really enjoyed it.


    I like NCIS
    Spoiler:
    but I don't really ship. Tony is kinda like Castle and I really dislike that. Ziva is too good for him and their sometimes flirting is too obvious as well. I like the other characters too, as well as the story itself but I don't really want to see any of the cast/regulars to hook up with each other. Although I really liked the Gibbs/Jenny past and occasional glimpses of their lingering feelings.


    I love Dexter
    Spoiler:
    and don't need to ship, simply because Dexter Morgan is awesome and the story is perfect. I liked Rita with him, even enjoyed the Lila-thing a bit and loved Lumen in it but shipping wasn't really necessary but not bothersome either. I like Debra but I don't like her choice in men, but it works somehow because in the end it all ties back in with Dexter and his secret. It's one of the few shows I'll always come back to, no matter how a season develops. Just because it's that good and it has never disappointed me.


    I enjoyed the ship in Bones
    Spoiler:
    between Brennan/Booth until about the time they revealed they'd actually kissed once and then apparently slept together (offscreen, how lame) and now Brennan is pregnant. That's so not the way a ship should run and I've basically lost interest although I will watch the premiere next month. I really hope they will go back to the story's concept instead of continuously focusing on the characters themselves and ruining the show for me. I don't really mind the love interest of the rest of the characters, although I thought Angela and Wendell were a bit ridiculous together and I still think Angela is too tall and her head is too big for Hodgins, but they work together. But I have to say that what I've seen so far for the next season hasn't really impressed me.


    I really enjoy L&O: SVU
    Spoiler:
    and don't need any ship in that show between leads/regulars. Although I will miss Elliot from now on, because of the bond he had with Olivia. There may have been chemistry throughout the twelve years but I like how they never did anything about it (and thus ruining a perfectly good team) and he stayed with his wife (although I thought the Dani-thing was ridiculous).


    Recently I discovered Suits
    Spoiler:
    and enjoyed the first season, but am so not shipping anyone. The story doesn't need shipping.


    Of course I also like Sanctuary
    Spoiler:
    but I don't really ship Magnus with anyone. I feel like Druitt was the one for her, but it's basically impossible for them to get together because he always ends up hurting her, either directly or indirectly. She was totally right in Into the Black although I'm not sure if he got it. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure he gets her or ever did. It's sad really, but Magnus is smart to keep her distance from him despite how she feels/used to feel about him.

    I appreciate the flirting with Nikola, simply because they have great chemistry and I like him. He's interesting, like Magnus once said. But I don't ship them, because I don't think it would work in the end.

    Don't really buy the whole thing with James as some interpret her "darling" to indicate she was romantically involved with him during WWII. I know John was convinced James was with her now, but I like to think James didn't confirm nor deny because he didn't care what John was thinking about the two of them (he might even enjoy him thinking that they were together). Perhaps James had romantic feelings for Magnus, but I don't think she reciprocated and merely saw him as a very close friend. Don't ship these two together and wouldn't really want them together either. If it turns out they were together in the past, I can live with it...

    I find Will very annoying, sometimes immature with his demands and he doesn't even come close to being an equal to Magnus. I'd never ever ship them together and if something were to happen, I'm not sure if I would continue to watch. I dislike his current girlfriend, Abby, because she's annoying and surprisingly stupid for an FBI agent. I don't ship them either.

    Don't like Kate very much, don't want her involved with any of the cast/regulars and am quite happy if she were to disappear (and maybe take Abby with her) from the Sanctuary.

    Henry is a great character and I think Erica is best suited for him, although I don't really ship them. And well, Biggie apparently mates once every five year with someone and I don't really ship him either.


    That's about it, I think.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3


    My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

    Comment


      I totally agree with the above comments regarding the ship on other tv shows, namely Bones and Castle. I have loved Bones from the beginning, but at the end of last season I felt cheated. And Castle is fun, and I adore Nathan Fillion, but it seems their relationship is forced at times. Not to mention the fact that for both of these shows, the entire focus has switched to the "will they or will they not" theme. (Sorry for not spoiling the off-topics...but I don't know how =/ ).
      I think for the most part, Stargate gets it right when it comes to ship. After all, it was the show that made me a shipper. I love the entire team dynamic and think its stories are far better than what I've seen before or since (seasons 1-8 of course!). But I will admit that the reason I started watching was because I saw the Sci-Fi previews for Grace and wanted to watch how their relationship started. But the subtle/barely there hints at their deeper feelings are what make it work. The show is about SG-1, the team, not Jack and Sam. And for me, that's what makes it so enjoyable. Limiting the focus of Jack and Sam's growing feelings makes it that much more exciting and appreciated when we do see something.
      In my opinion, less is more at times.
      Though I think we could have gotten at least some little spoken confimation after season 8. But hey, what ya gonna do?
      sigpic

      I had not intended to love him; the reader knows I had wrought hard to extirpate from my soul the germs of love there detected; and now, at first renewed view of him, they spontaneously revived, green and strong! He made me love him without looking at me. - Jane Eyre

      Comment


        siles I was with you right up until that part about . Why would you reimagine S9 to make it worse?! Besides, Sam clearly kicked to the curb in Threads so I see no reason to bring back a poorly written character that damaged Sam's character in the process.

        fems I don't watch most of those shows but I totally agree with where you are coming from on Sanctuary, but think you are totally off on Castle.

        Spoiler:
        I absolutely love that show and think the ship is written in a very interesting and complex way. C/B's relationship is layered and mature. The chemistry between the leads is fantastic. Best of all the producers have a long term plan for how their relationship will grow and develop over the next several seasons. They aren't they aren't interested in jerking their fans around or just making things up willy nilly and throwing out ridiculous scenarios to keep things going.


        Haylee to add spoiler tags surround the text you want hidden with spoiler written in bracketts like this (minus the spaces):

        [ spoiler ] Hide this text. [ /spoiler ]

        It will look like this:

        Spoiler:
        Hide this text.


        Now my lunch break is over and it is back to work.

        Comment


          Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
          fems I don't watch most of those shows but I totally agree with where you are coming from on Sanctuary, but think you are totally off on Castle.

          Spoiler:
          I absolutely love that show and think the ship is written in a very interesting and complex way. C/B's relationship is layered and mature. The chemistry between the leads is fantastic. Best of all the producers have a long term plan for how their relationship will grow and develop over the next several seasons. They aren't they aren't interested in jerking their fans around or just making things up willy nilly and throwing out ridiculous scenarios to keep things going.
          What?!

          Spoiler:
          It's layered and mature? No jerking around? Come on, Castle basically slept around until Beckett was shot and he confessed his feelings for her, but he was still jealous whenever she was with Motor Boy (who was hot, by the way). He thinks he's ruggedly handsome and has absolutely no problems telling everyone how amazing he thinks he is. The only few times he can be serious is when it comes to Alexis...

          Beckett likes Castle, but is afraid to get hurt and instead she dates other men. She thinks she's totally hot and uses her feminine assets basically every chance she gets instead of thinking of a better solution than stripping down/wearing revealing clothes and trying to distract the bad guys with her body. She has no problems stringing Castle along when it suits her, but if he comes too close she backs off (although it's a bit understandable after he went back to his second ex-wife). Yet now she knows Castle loves her but lets him think she doesn't remember that he confessed his feelings for her.

          In my opinion the producers/writers have gone too far too fast with the ship and they should have taken it slower. Let the characters develop a bit, adapt to the partnership and grow up a bit since they are both immature in their own ways; Castle has problems taking anything seriously, except when it comes to Alexis and Beckett seems very emotional immature. I also feel that the writers/producers weren't sure how to portray Beckett at first because she was far more restrained in the beginning and then all of a sudden she went to this "I'm so hot and confident unless it comes to Castle"-thing.

          But that's just how I feel about it... :O Oh, I should say I've watched all the episodes in less than a week, so maybe that makes my experience and interpretation different than when you actually watch an episode a week.


          Anyway, that's one of the reasons I enjoy the Sam/Jack ship so much. Because they're both great characters, have their flaws and strengths and complement each other in some ways, yet are very different in others. And, most importantly, they are great whether they're together or independent. Their relationship is built on friendship and respect (and lots of UST of course) and while there's been a mutual attraction they've always been mature enough to deal with it and do their duty without their personal feelings getting in the way.

          In a lot of shows the characters seem to jump on the attraction thing and they're just lusting after each other (a lot of times while screwing other people), but the friendship and respect doesn't come until much later. Sometimes it actually makes me wonder if it's really there by the time they kiss or go all the way.

          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3


          My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

          Comment


            Wow. I'm going to have to start watching Castle. Sounds juicy!

            Sadly, however, I'm just now getting caught up with the Leonard/Penny ship on "The Big Bang Theory". I think that's about all the drama that I'm capable of at the moment, however. Ha ha.

            But fems has a point about the Sam/Jack ship. Because they are such compelling, damaged, and complex characters--the ship is even more interesting to watch. And when it's ambiguous, as it often is, or when it arises from a natural connection between the actors that is too strong to NOT be conveyed by the cameras, it's even more fascinating for me to watch.

            BONES: but also how it relates to Sam/Jack

            Spoiler:
            I was disappointed in the Bones direction because I felt cheated out of seeing more. I didn't necessarily want to see the "doing it" scene--my kids watch the show with me, sometimes, and I don't feel the need to see that all the time, But I understand that the situation was off--that the whole thing was brought about by Emily's pregnancy, but it still seemed too abrupt for me. I don't think that either Bones or Booth would be able to have "business as usual" attitude after such a monumental undertaking as what happened between them. And the whole show will be different for it. I'm not sure it did their characters any favors at all.



            For this reason alone, I'm almost (ALMOST, I repeat) satisfied with the way that the producers/writers of SG-1 have left Sam and Jack. I kind of like having that simplicity of being able to decide for myself that they are indeed together forever. Because they themselves wouldn't be totally public and brash about their newfound togetherness, I think it might have cheapened their relationship to place too much emphasis on it. I would still liked to see the Big Honking Kiss, though--or even more intimately, a sweet little familiar one that showed their complete comfort with each other.
            sigpic
            My Stories: FFdotNet
            My Stories AO3
            Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

            Comment


              Originally posted by fems View Post

              Personally I really like how Sam and Jack have kept their "special bond" within the rules and regulations of the USAF and the fact that we never got any real confirmation makes for excellent fanfiction. And I have to admit that in a lot of shows, I often lose interest once the ship has been confirmed/resolved because it suddenly changes the characters in a way I don't like (apparently they need to become very different from who they were before they were together). Plus, I really like my angst.
              i almost don't care anymore how sam and jack are confirmed to be together , i just want it that they are!

              ~and if i didn't like it, or found it kind of bland or boring, i could *still* create a different-in-my-head version. or, even if i loved it to bits, i could 'still' create alternate takes on their coming together.

              just putting this out there, in case some ptb from stargate or mgm is reading this, and knows that not everyone is happy or content with NOTHING.
              sally

              sigpic

              Comment


                Originally posted by siles View Post
                Now let me posit you an alternate S9 where Jacob doesn't die (yoohoo!), Sam does marry Pete, Jack gets hurt and wants to get as far away from her, takes up his new job in Washington or retires to his cabin; Heck they might have even included AT's pregnancy and thus explained Sam's absence for the first half of season. Now doesn't this makes it more logical then what we've seen on-screen
                In a word: No.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by fems View Post

                  For Stargate: SG-1 I would have continued to watch if there hadn't been a Sam/Jack ship, although I would have hated it if there had been other shipping (with the regulars/leads) because I just don't see any chemistry between them and others. All of the above is probably one of the reasons I disliked seasons 9 and 10, simply because the Daniel/Vala ship was too forced (imo) and SG-1 simply lost their... 'thing'. If the entire show had been like season 9 and 10, I don't know if I would have gone beyond the pilot or a few episodes, but the first eight seasons just had excellent characters (with or without ship) and a great story line.

                  I must admit though that I did start watching Stargate: Atlantis and even Stargate: Universe in the hopes of seeing more Sam/Jack. I think I watched most of Atlantis, but it just didn't work for me. I didn't really like any of the characters more than the others and the story wasn't good enough to thoroughly enjoy it. I didn't watch anything beyond the pilot for SGU because it was like a soap opera on a spaceship to me and just wasn't really Stargate for me. Although I did watch a few scenes from the eps that had Jack or Sam in them.


                  Spoiler:
                  Recently I started watching Castle,
                  Spoiler:
                  but I really dislike the shipping. Mostly because it's so obvious and Beckett and Castle both think they're awesome and very attractive and it all seems very forced to me. And there's the kissing-thing, which always has the potential to ruin a ship for me because they did it as "a distraction" and there are feelings and blah blah. Both have no problem having relationships/flings with others, but are upset when the other has one... to me it's the wrong way to ship. And I only watch the show because I somewhat like the cases and am still waiting for all my other shows to start.



                  Of course I also like Sanctuary
                  Spoiler:
                  but I don't really ship Magnus with anyone. I feel like Druitt was the one for her, but it's basically impossible for them to get together because he always ends up hurting her, either directly or indirectly. She was totally right in Into the Black although I'm not sure if he got it. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure he gets her or ever did. It's sad really, but Magnus is smart to keep her distance from him despite how she feels/used to feel about him.

                  I appreciate the flirting with Nikola, simply because they have great chemistry and I like him. He's interesting, like Magnus once said. But I don't ship them, because I don't think it would work in the end.

                  Don't really buy the whole thing with James as some interpret her "darling" to indicate she was romantically involved with him during WWII. I know John was convinced James was with her now, but I like to think James didn't confirm nor deny because he didn't care what John was thinking about the two of them (he might even enjoy him thinking that they were together). Perhaps James had romantic feelings for Magnus, but I don't think she reciprocated and merely saw him as a very close friend. Don't ship these two together and wouldn't really want them together either. If it turns out they were together in the past, I can live with it...

                  I find Will very annoying, sometimes immature with his demands and he doesn't even come close to being an equal to Magnus. I'd never ever ship them together and if something were to happen, I'm not sure if I would continue to watch. I dislike his current girlfriend, Abby, because she's annoying and surprisingly stupid for an FBI agent. I don't ship them either.

                  Don't like Kate very much, don't want her involved with any of the cast/regulars and am quite happy if she were to disappear (and maybe take Abby with her) from the Sanctuary.

                  Henry is a great character and I think Erica is best suited for him, although I don't really ship them. And well, Biggie apparently mates once every five year with someone and I don't really ship him either.
                  I agree with you over the S/J ship. One of the things I love about it, is that it's subtle, it feels real, like they have chemistry. I never felt like that with the Daniel/Vala stuff - that was shoved down our throats screaming 'look, we have chemistry' but to me their actions and behaviour towards each other didn't support that. S/J was conveyed by looks and the occasional comment. It felt real, because it supported the way the characters behaved - neither of them are particularly open about their feelings or the kind of people who strike me as being overly demonstrative in relationships. Chemistry shouldn't be something that onlookers need to be told about, it should be something that we sense through the natural interaction of the characters. I never shipped in Atlantis, because I never really empathised enough with the characters. I like Atlantis, but not to the same degree as SG1 and I haven't yet seen any SGU.

                  Like you, had the earlier seasons of SG1 been like 9 and 10, I would have given up on it fairly rapidly!

                  I totally agree with you over Sanctuary, I haven't shipped in that show yet (but I've only seen seasons 1 and 2). I quite like the ship in Castle, but then I view it as a lighter, more humorous show (and am only part way through the 3rd season).

                  Originally posted by HayleeDex View Post
                  I think for the most part, Stargate gets it right when it comes to ship. After all, it was the show that made me a shipper. I love the entire team dynamic and think its stories are far better than what I've seen before or since (seasons 1-8 of course!). But I will admit that the reason I started watching was because I saw the Sci-Fi previews for Grace and wanted to watch how their relationship started. But the subtle/barely there hints at their deeper feelings are what make it work. The show is about SG-1, the team, not Jack and Sam. And for me, that's what makes it so enjoyable. Limiting the focus of Jack and Sam's growing feelings makes it that much more exciting and appreciated when we do see something.
                  In my opinion, less is more at times.
                  Though I think we could have gotten at least some little spoken confimation after season 8. But hey, what ya gonna do?
                  Agreed! I wouldn't have wanted S/J shoved down my throat as major storyline. It was nice the way it was done, in the background (most of the time) as character enhancement.

                  Originally posted by fems View Post

                  Anyway, that's one of the reasons I enjoy the Sam/Jack ship so much. Because they're both great characters, have their flaws and strengths and complement each other in some ways, yet are very different in others. And, most importantly, they are great whether they're together or independent. Their relationship is built on friendship and respect (and lots of UST of course) and while there's been a mutual attraction they've always been mature enough to deal with it and do their duty without their personal feelings getting in the way.

                  In a lot of shows the characters seem to jump on the attraction thing and they're just lusting after each other (a lot of times while screwing other people), but the friendship and respect doesn't come until much later. Sometimes it actually makes me wonder if it's really there by the time they kiss or go all the way.

                  Totally agree with you on this!

                  Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post

                  But fems has a point about the Sam/Jack ship. Because they are such compelling, damaged, and complex characters--the ship is even more interesting to watch. And when it's ambiguous, as it often is, or when it arises from a natural connection between the actors that is too strong to NOT be conveyed by the cameras, it's even more fascinating for me to watch.

                  For this reason alone, I'm almost (ALMOST, I repeat) satisfied with the way that the producers/writers of SG-1 have left Sam and Jack. I kind of like having that simplicity of being able to decide for myself that they are indeed together forever. Because they themselves wouldn't be totally public and brash about their newfound togetherness, I think it might have cheapened their relationship to place too much emphasis on it. I would still liked to see the Big Honking Kiss, though--or even more intimately, a sweet little familiar one that showed their complete comfort with each other.
                  Yes! I'm glad they didn't take it the way they did with Daniel and Vala. It would have ruined the S/J stuff for me. It would have been out of character and forced and completely destroyed the dynamics between the characters that had developed over seasons 1-8.

                  Just for the record, I can't green some of you at the moment, so consider yourselves virtually greened!
                  The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

                  Comment


                    i get a kick out of reading 'i like the way the ship was done, i don't 'need' confirmation', and then add at the end, 'but i wouldn't have turned down a big kiss or comment that they were together'.

                    you're either happy with the non confirmation or you're not!
                    sally

                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by HayleeDex View Post
                      I totally agree with the above comments regarding the ship on other tv shows, namely Bones and Castle. I have loved Bones from the beginning, but at the end of last season I felt cheated. And Castle is fun, and I adore Nathan Fillion, but it seems their relationship is forced at times. Not to mention the fact that for both of these shows, the entire focus has switched to the "will they or will they not" theme. (Sorry for not spoiling the off-topics...but I don't know how =/ ).
                      I think for the most part, Stargate gets it right when it comes to ship. After all, it was the show that made me a shipper. I love the entire team dynamic and think its stories are far better than what I've seen before or since (seasons 1-8 of course!). But I will admit that the reason I started watching was because I saw the Sci-Fi previews for Grace and wanted to watch how their relationship started. But the subtle/barely there hints at their deeper feelings are what make it work. The show is about SG-1, the team, not Jack and Sam. And for me, that's what makes it so enjoyable. Limiting the focus of Jack and Sam's growing feelings makes it that much more exciting and appreciated when we do see something.
                      In my opinion, less is more at times.
                      Though I think we could have gotten at least some little spoken confimation after season 8. But hey, what ya gonna do?
                      It was because of the team that I started watching SG1. I knew nothing at all about "ships" at the time; not even when I started browsing around GW. I couldn't figure out what all the comments about "ships" were, since I didn't remember any boats being in any of the episodes. Then when I found out what it meant and what people were so involved with I started seeing the "ship" part. Even before finding out what "ship" meant, though, I could see the chemistry/bond between Sam and Jack.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                        i get a kick out of reading 'i like the way the ship was done, i don't 'need' confirmation', and then add at the end, 'but i wouldn't have turned down a big kiss or comment that they were together'.

                        you're either happy with the non confirmation or you're not!
                        I wouldn't have had a problem with the lack of unambiguous confirmation for Sam/Jack if SG-1 had ended with season 8, but the show continued for 2 more seasons and 2 movies, not to mention Atlantis or Universe - TPTB had had plenty of opportunities to subtly confirm the ship, instead they yanked our chains

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by siles View Post
                          I wouldn't have had a problem with the lack of unambiguous confirmation for Sam/Jack if SG-1 had ended with season 8, but the show continued for 2 more seasons and 2 movies, not to mention Atlantis or Universe - TPTB had had plenty of opportunities to subtly confirm the ship, instead they yanked our chains
                          i would have felt the same in the series had ended with s8, but like you said, things continued, even on other stargates...
                          sally

                          sigpic

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by siles View Post
                            I wouldn't have had a problem with the lack of unambiguous confirmation for Sam/Jack if SG-1 had ended with season 8, but the show continued for 2 more seasons and 2 movies, not to mention Atlantis or Universe - TPTB had had plenty of opportunities to subtly confirm the ship, instead they yanked our chains
                            Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                            i would have felt the same in the series had ended with s8, but like you said, things continued, even on other stargates...
                            I feel the same, particularly because of the way TPTB kept dropping hints about resolving things but never did (and that they shipped plenty of other characters, but blatantly ignored S/J).
                            The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

                            Comment


                              Wow! So many opinions on things. Would I have enjoyed SG-1 without S/J? Maybe, but in my head part of the reason S/J happened was because the chemistry was just that awesome. I don't "ship" in the traditional way for other shows...

                              How I am with other shows including Castle, Dexter, House, and a few others.

                              Spoiler:

                              Castle
                              Spoiler:
                              I don't see the whole Beckett knows she's hot and uses her body all the time (Yes she's pretty, but she's smart and sassy too and uses that quite a bit). Castle is a playboy. Always has been and I think in a lot of ways the relationship he has with Beckett is a surprise. He wanted to tag along and then suddenly 'pow' something more has happened, but he's never been very good at the emotional settling down thing, look at his mom, look at his two failed marriages...he loves women but he's not very good at keeping them. As far as the 'ship' goes, I'd be disappointed if they didn't end up together because that's the direction the show is going. It's a light-hearted, crime of the week, funny show. The depth we get is unexpected, but anything more than that and you're getting into drama which I can't stand. There's a reason I avoid CSI/NCIS/etc.


                              Dexter
                              Spoiler:
                              No shipping here. I watch it purely for the awesomeness that is Dexter


                              House
                              Spoiler:
                              I hated, hated, hated House/Cuddy. I'm not an anti-shipper in the sense that I want to pretend it isn't there or wish it wasn't, but wanting a happy ending for them? There can't/couldn't be a happy ending. House is too f'ed up for that. He'd have to go through some DRASTIC character changes. Yes, they have chemistry, but just because you have chemistry with someone doesn't mean you should be with them. This is a perfect example of that. Cuddy needs a man who is stable, mature, and good to her. House is none of those things. The way the relationship ended is the only way it really could have IMO


                              Sanctuary
                              Spoiler:
                              Druitt is the only one for Helen, but I'm not entirely convinced they can have their happy ending. It's one of those - in another lifetime, if I weren't so broken, if we weren't so broken...yes. She loves him, deeply and he loves her, passionately, and I think Helen could love again, but not like that. Not like Druitt. If I were a believe in soulmates I'd say they were a twisted, gnarled kind. So entwined they can't break apart, but not necessarily beautiful when they're together.




                              If you wade through my thoughts on those, tying it into S/J, it's why I love S/J. Two people, with the right chemistry, who are good for each other, finally hit the right time and it's something...amazing. Plus it added so much color to the show - mainly through the acting skills of AT and RDA. There was something rich, raw, and intense about them and it flowed through the television screen and made me go "guh!"

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by siles View Post
                                I wouldn't have had a problem with the lack of unambiguous confirmation for Sam/Jack if SG-1 had ended with season 8, but the show continued for 2 more seasons and 2 movies, not to mention Atlantis or Universe - TPTB had had plenty of opportunities to subtly confirm the ship, instead they yanked our chains
                                My thoughts exactly!! For me, season 8 was the happy ending. I was satisfied with it. Then season 9 and 10 came along and I almost lost all hope
                                Thank goodness for all you wonderful shippers and your threads that have totally reassured me!
                                sigpic

                                I had not intended to love him; the reader knows I had wrought hard to extirpate from my soul the germs of love there detected; and now, at first renewed view of him, they spontaneously revived, green and strong! He made me love him without looking at me. - Jane Eyre

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X