No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit OT, however, I just discovered the "profile" glitch seems to be fixed, since I accidentally clicked on my own name instead of the "my controls" button ... and discovered my profile page. Yay!

Comment

Banner by Replicartertje

Synopsis

So we pick up where we left off last time, with 54 hours to save the planet from going ka-boom from Anubis's new keeping-the-gate-open weapon. Sam, McKay and the other scientists are struggling to come up with solutions. Teal'c is offworld with Bra'tac, Rya'c and some other Jaffa, failing to dial Earth. They know Anubis is planning to attack, and fear he might already have started. So using Bra'tac's speed-dials, they track down the planet that Anubis's weapon must be on, and head off to do what they can to stop it, with much father-son conflict and eventually Rya'c saving the day. Back on Earth, McKay has tried sending an EM pulse through the gate, which only succeeded in reducing the amount of time left and electrocuting Sam. Eventually Jonas gives Sam the idea of removing the gate itself and sending it up into space to explode at a safe distance. Jack takes on this job, hitching a ride up into the atmosphere on a 747 before disengaging and zooming up as high as possible before releasing the gate which is strapped to the bottom of the X-302. Naturally it doesn't go quite according to plan, but they manage to open up a mini hyperspace window just for long enough to send the gate through before Jack ejects and floats back down to earth. It looks like it's curtains for the SGC though, despite the Russians offering to rent their Stargate to the United States, until Teal'c turns up in a cargo ship with the news that Anubis's weapon has been destroyed and therefore it would be safe to have a Stargate again. This allows normal operations to resume, and Jonas is rewarded with his place on SG1.

Analysis

I'm actually finding it quite hard to think of much to say about this episode For large parts of watching it then I was just watching, not feeling the need to make any notes, so I don't think this is going to be a long review! It's a good, solid second part of the two-parter, and does everything it needs to: Jonas gets to earn his place on SG1, the Stargate gets swapped round again (which surely means now that the SGC has the original, Giza gate back, that the Russians retrieved from the bottom of the ocean at the beginning of S4), Rya'c gets to show everyone but especially his Dad that he's not a kid any more, and Anubis gets to be a big pain in the backside in a new way for a Goa'uld again but is ultimately defeated. And really, that's about it! Maybe someone else will be more inspired

Implications for Sam/Jack

Again not much really of note, but as in part I, there are some nice scenes and a general sense of comfort, closeness and understanding. In particular the following moments stood out for me:

- The way Jack looks after Sam as she leaves Hammond's office when she has to admit she has no better idea than McKay's yet and Hammond basically kicks her out to get on with it - shows he perfectly understands her reaction.

- The scene in the corridor where Sam is briefing Jack before he heads off on his mission to fly the Stargate out to space has a lot in it. Sam's fussing is very in character and shows her anxiety about the situation and the mission, and I think it's clear that she is concerned on two levels here - both for Earth and for Jack, as you can see in her look right at the end when he gets in the elevator, and also the touch of emotion when she says she wishes she could go with him. Jack would clearly rather she wasn't fussing at him so much right now, and does try to cut her off several times, but not too curtly, especially compared to some of the times he has done in the past (Revelations, Ascension). As soon as Sam hits that slightly more emotional note, wishing she was going with him, Jack jumps right back into humour, with the 'Yes, I'm sure you do, and I find that quite bizarre' line. However they do exchange a distinct little look when Sam wishes him luck, that's a bit of a precursor to the one they have in Evolution when they head off on separate missions there.

- In the scenes at the SGC while they're monitoring Jack's progress, the focus is very much on Sam the entire time. Granted, she is the one who is doing most of the monitoring and communicating with Jack and mission control, but it also serves to highlight her reactions over and above everyone else's. Her reaction is also shown at the end of the sequence when they hear the chute has been spotted, then they cut back to her first when they hear Jack is OK - both of these again give her reaction an extra level of importance. And there's a really touching thing I never noticed before, but after this when they pull back and show the whole room celebrating, Hammond walks over to Sam and puts his hands on her shoulders, and she reaches back and smiles up at him. It's a lovely little moment that says a lot about their relationship I think, and is again perhaps a tacit acknowledgment on Hammond's part that he knows there's just that bit of an extra reason why Sam was particularly worried and is particularly relieved.

- The exchange just before Jack activates the hyperspace generator - Jack has been getting increasingly annoyed with everyone wishing him luck, but when Sam does here, he just accepts it. She offers it somewhat tentatively, especially given the fact he's kept cutting her off with 'I know' throughout the conversation up to that point, and I think perhaps the reason Jack accepts it is again because when it comes to crunch point and actually a life or death situation, they both drop their guards a little.
      sigpic
      Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
        - In the scenes at the SGC while they're monitoring Jack's progress, the focus is very much on Sam the entire time. Granted, she is the one who is doing most of the monitoring and communicating with Jack and mission control, but it also serves to highlight her reactions over and above everyone else's. Her reaction is also shown at the end of the sequence when they hear the chute has been spotted, then they cut back to her first when they hear Jack is OK - both of these again give her reaction an extra level of importance. And there's a really touching thing I never noticed before, but after this when they pull back and show the whole room celebrating, Hammond walks over to Sam and puts his hands on her shoulders, and she reaches back and smiles up at him. It's a lovely little moment that says a lot about their relationship I think, and is again perhaps a tacit acknowledgment on Hammond's part that he knows there's just that bit of an extra reason why Sam was particularly worried and is particularly relieved.

- The exchange just before Jack activates the hyperspace generator - Jack has been getting increasingly annoyed with everyone wishing him luck, but when Sam does here, he just accepts it. She offers it somewhat tentatively, especially given the fact he's kept cutting her off with 'I know' throughout the conversation up to that point, and I think perhaps the reason Jack accepts it is again because when it comes to crunch point and actually a life or death situation, they both drop their guards a little.
        Yes - I agree (and the rest of implication list). I know we search through rose-tinted glasses but the TPTB can't give us much and all those those little little signs are just enough to keep our hopes up and our shippy hearts happy

Comment

Sending Jack off to do the impossible.
          Not so hard after all as Jack says 'What could go wrong?'

sigpic
          Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
          My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Redemption Part II

Generally

It does what it needs to do although I always think its fairly anticlimatic as for all the heroics involved with getting rid of the Earth Stargate ultimately it's a defeat at that point for them: they lose the gate and have to hope of getting the second up and running without Anubis performing a repeat. The real "win" is done by Rya'c off-world and while I think it's a great Rya'c moment (probably his best of the series) and seals his reconciliation with Teal'c, it's not known about until after the fact by everyone on Earth.

I think had there been some communication between Teal'c and Earth once he'd reached the planet with the weapon, it may have helped bring the whole thing together. Both sides knowingly working together to achieve a victory.

I do like the scene at the end with Jonas joining though and given the issues with the Stargate, there is a nice symmetry in a new SG1 to match the saved programme.

Sam and Jack

I do love the goodbye scene; it's nicely caring on both sides. The scene with the issues with the X302 where Sam is clearly being highlighted. and its her reaction that is being shown; her worry for Jack that's the focus of whether he's survived or not.

But overall, it's more of the same of Redemption I: comfortable, friendly and caring. Less angst apart from the whole has he survived note.
            Last edited by Rachel500; 25 July 2010, 02:27 AM.
            sigpic
            Women of the Gate LJ Community.
            My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Sue Corkill has published Part 7 of her 10+2 series Pancake Diplomacy
              No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
              It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Once again, so behind, but I've been following the discussion and I think so much has been said better than I could have said it. Nevertheless, I shall throw in my two cents.

Revelations
                One thing that I get from this episode is that Sam needs to talk. She needs to talk about Daniel and she needs to talk about her own feelings. Maybe some of this stems from what she said in Meridian, why do we wait to tell people how we feel. So when I see her chasing after Jack and him pulling away I don't get that she understands. I think she's hurt. And she feels alone. She hasn't only lost Daniel, but her team, her family. As I believe others have said, loss is a big issue for Sam given her mother's death, and I see some parallels here to that experience. I have the feeling she was left to mourn alone then too.

She shows a lot of resentment and hostility toward Jack after he shuts her down. There is a bite in the banter Jack tries to engage in when they're on the cargo ship. Where she usually finds this disarming she is sharp with him and isn't going to let him get away with acting like it's business as usual with her. He wouldn't let her in when she needed him and now she's shutting him out.

And the look she gives Jack when he says he won't leave Thor behind--skeptical, upset. Makes me think she maybe she blames Jack for letting Daniel go and then telling her to move on; it's like leaving him behind, breaking his own rule.

Jack on the other hand, can't let Sam in. First, that's just not the way he deals with grief. But also, I think it is hard enough realizing just how much Daniel got past his armor. If he let Sam through he probably would have to let her all the way in, and he knows he can't do that. We get a brief glimpse behind the mask when we see the look on Jack's face when Sam is zatted and her hologram disappears.

Speaking of looks, I just love that look Jack gives Sam as he walks through the holographic projection of her.

Then he reaches back and passes his hand through her a second time. I think he might have enjoyed it just a bit.

Redemption 1 & 2
                The team is definitely closed ranks since Revelations. Jack basically tells Teal'c that they don't need anyone else, they have each other. And you can see him being there for Sam and supporting her as she deals with the pressure of coming up with a miracle to save the planet.

For me I see the friendship between them in this episode as being a thin veneer of the love beneath. I feel it coming through when Sam teases Jack about the ejection system, and he teases her about being an egghead. I felt it in Sam's distress when she realized Jack was willing to be lost in space (remembering perhaps his jesting protests about the whole 301 fiasco--as he got in to checkout the cockpit of the 302) in order to save the planet, and I felt it from her palpable relief when she heard he was OK.

And can I just say, I love scenes with Sam and Jack flying together. The one in Redemption 1 and a season later in Fallen are favorites of mine. They are so free and easy with each other, and you can tell that they both love flying, and I think they really enjoy doing it with one another.

Then toward the end when General Hammond asks Jack what posting he wants and he says he'd like to command a boat or in other words, retire. When I hear Jack say something about retirement my shippy radar goes up. To me, it's code for "I want to be with Sam."

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                  Revelations
                  One thing that I get from this episode is that Sam needs to talk. She needs to talk about Daniel and she needs to talk about her own feelings. Maybe some of this stems from what she said in Meridian, why do we wait to tell people how we feel. So when I see her chasing after Jack and him pulling away I don't get that she understands. I think she's hurt. And she feels alone. She hasn't only lost Daniel, but her team, her family. As I believe others have said, loss is a big issue for Sam given her mother's death, and I see some parallels here to that experience. I have the feeling she was left to mourn alone then too.
                  Her comment to Teal'c as they are sitting at the controls of the hatak (in "Revelations") is evidence of the bolded part, when she says "Tell me I'm not alone" (in feeling the loss of Daniel). She wouldn't have said that had she felt that Jack felt Daniel's loss; so it indicates to me that she thinks he's not feeling it, and yes she feels very hurt and alone in her sorrow. I think she also doubts whether Teal'c feels the loss or she wouldn't have said that to him. Her further comment of "please, don't give me that way of the warrior crap; I get enough of that from the Colonel" is also more indication of not thinking Jack is feeling Daniel's loss.
                  Last edited by hedwig; 18 July 2010, 08:45 AM. Reason: fixing a typo.

Comment

Guys, I’m baaaack!

OT but thread related

Spoiler:
                    Thankfully I got over the whole melodrama with leaving and decided that, since so often I come across as negative, I need to show my utter love of season 6. Besides, I was bribed. Some of you –and you know who you are - know too well that I’m defenseless against Sam, Jack and especially Jonas.

I also wanted to thank everyone who posted on the thread or sent me VMs/PMs/greens for their support and encouragement. You guys rock!

REDEMPTION

Generally:

I love both episodes to pieces. They not only succeed in introducing the series to its new viewers while retaining the old ones, like Rachel said; they do it with the sort of effortless grace, warmth and sympathy that is a trademark of the season and one of the reasons I love it so much.

PART 1

Generally:

I love the beginning. I love Jack’s whining “no no no..” and that T immediately knows what he means and Sam is just so very patient with him. I love Jonas’ determination to get on the team and to convince Sam, Teal’c and Jack that he should be given a chance and how he does it without stepping on anyone’s toes and being so innocent and optimistic about it.
                    Love the boxing and the lunch scene and J/T conversation.
                    I adore the stuff about T’s family and his grieving by his wife's deathbed is one of my favourite Teal’c scenes ever.
                    It’s cool to see Lt Simmons again (and how nobody remembers his crush on Sam ) and it’s even cooler than Sam is introduced to new viewers not as super!Sam but great and yet fallible scientist who can’t solve all the problems on her own.
                    Jonas/Mckay interaction is awesome and I wish we’d seen more of it (and how cute is the thing with Jonas crossing his fingers?).
                    Everybody’s just so incredibly friendly and comfortable with each other that despite Drey’ouc’s death and the whole “meet your doom” thing I find Redemption to be a very optimistic episode.

S/J implications:

Given how comfortable and happy they seem to be I think that at some point during those 3 months they had some kind of talk about Daniel’s death and their reactions and they came to some agreement or at the very least understanding. Actually, taking into account how many replacements they tested I’d bet that there also talk involving Teal’c too – he seems to be more open and talkative than ever.

Back to S/J, I too adore the scenes in X-302. S/J teasing each other, flying together and both wearing those tight flying suits - what more could the shipper want? (and if that shipper happens to be an admirer of RDA’s six…it’s heaven ) But the scene that makes me truly happy is the one in Sam’s lab at the end. I love how Jack digs himself into a hole with the egghead comment, how Sam evilly lets him dig himself deeper still and only *then* lets him off the hook. And the next thing out of his mouth is…yes Jack. Of course you were thinking about her butt head. However the best part for me is when Sam openly admits to being scared. When was the last time she was so open about her feelings and fears with him? Scratch that, with anybody besides Daniel on his deathbed? Looks like she learned her lesson. And I find it very refreshing that after all her turning down Jack’s invitations this time she practically invites herself to his date with some cake Oh, and how close they stand together in the Gate room, almost touching. That’s quite unexpected after the last season.

Did anyone else notice that when the elevator’s door open when Sam and Jack go to the Gate room RDA is just lowering his hands? I can’t help but wonder if he was goofing around with AT or…what?

PART 2

Generally:

I like it even more than the first part. Teal’c/Rya’c/Bra’tac stuff is made of awesome, McKay gets human face and turns out to be a quite sympathetic character when he’s honest for a change. I’m *totally* fangurling the scene on the ramp when Jonas gives Sam the idea how to save Earth and is so sweet about it. And I love how later Sam stands up for him in her talk with Jack (oh, and the S/J non-verbal exchange when the elevator malfunctions? I love it too).
                    Another thing I adore is how smart Jack is while flying X-302, how he comes up with the idea to save Earth and how Sam, Jonas and McKay all collaborate to make it work. Jack/Jonas talk at the end is well-written and when played and I truly believe that it (together with Sam and Teal’c both standing up for him) was the real reason why Jack picked Jonas in the end, not a Russian threat. And finally, the last scene: SG-1 whole again – just perfect.

S/J implications:

Others already said everything I wanted to say about Sam and Jack interactions.

I find it interesting though that nobody commented on McKay. I must say I much prefer McKay from Redemption to McKay from 48 hours. I love his interaction with Sam but one thing that has me puzzled is Sam’s comment at the end when she says she found him more attractive when she hated him. I tend to dismiss it as Sam pulling his leg because I’ve never seen her attracted to him...
                    There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                    sigpic
                    awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                      S/J implications:

Given how comfortable and happy they seem to be I think that at some point during those 3 months they had some kind of talk about Daniel’s death and their reactions and they came to some agreement or at the very least understanding. Actually, taking into account how many replacements they tested I’d bet that there also talk involving Teal’c too – he seems to be more open and talkative than ever.

Back to S/J, I too adore the scenes in X-302. S/J teasing each other, flying together and both wearing those tight flying suits - what more could the shipper want? (and if that shipper happens to be an admirer of RDA’s six…it’s heaven ) But the scene that makes me truly happy is the one in Sam’s lab at the end. I love how Jack digs himself into a hole with the egghead comment, how Sam evilly lets him dig himself deeper still and only *then* lets him off the hook. And the next thing out of his mouth is…yes Jack. Of course you were thinking about her butt head. However the best part for me is when Sam openly admits to being scared. When was the last time she was so open about her feelings and fears with him? Scratch that, with anybody besides Daniel on his deathbed? Looks like she learned her lesson. And I find it very refreshing that after all her turning down Jack’s invitations this time she practically invites herself to his date with some cake Oh, and how close they stand together in the Gate room, almost touching. That’s quite unexpected after the last season.
                      Welcome back!

This is a really great point. There's such a marked difference in Sam and Jack's behaviour towards one another that there has to have been some kind of moment of acknowledgement - it reminds me in some ways of the difference that we see between S3 and S4, and I'm definitely in the 'there must have been some kind of acknowledgement' camp there too. And the bolded part in particular is really quite remarkable, you're right!
                      *shippy sigh*
                      sigpic

Comment

It's almost that time again.....

Hope to see everyone there!

Please feel free to download the sig and avatar for your use between now and the event!

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                          Guys, I’m baaaack!
                          Welcome Back! *tackle hugs* Don't leave again. It's more fun with you. (And you couldn't resist season 6; I know how much you love Jonas. )

Did anyone else notice that when the elevator’s door open when Sam and Jack go to the Gate room RDA is just lowering his hands? I can’t help but wonder if he was goofing around with AT or…what?
                          Didn't notice, must go look now.

I find it interesting though that nobody commented on McKay. I must say I much prefer McKay from Redemption to McKay from 48 hours. I love his interaction with Sam but one thing that has me puzzled is Sam’s comment at the end when she says she found him more attractive when she hated him. I tend to dismiss it as Sam pulling his leg because I’ve never seen her attracted to him...
                          I agree. She was messing with McKay. But I think she did developed a certain sympathy for him, and he was helpful at the end when the chips were down. That, along with Sam's innate compassion, I think allowed her to overcome her animosity toward him and essentially make peace with the kiss on the cheek and a little good natured teasing. (Of course, I'm not sure McKay saw it that way.)

Comment

By Jasmina

Descent

Synopsis
                            A Goa’uld mothership, apparently one of Anubis’, appears in Earth’s orbit kicking the SGC into overdrive. SG-1 are sent in along with Davis an, engineer and Jacob to figure out what it’s doing there and whether or not it can be salvaged for use. Ringing onto the ship, the team find something disturbing – the self-destruct sequence has been activated and is paused with no explanation for if or when it will start up again. Left behind on the cargo ship Jonas attempts to bond with Teal’c whilst eating a banana. Back on the mothership things go from bad to worse when Freesian is found dead – a mysterious Jaffa ninja clan seem to be behind the murder and then they attack Jacob. They have disabled the drive controls and put the ship on a collision course with Earth. The Jaffa attempt to take control of the cargo ship but Teal’c dispatches with them quickly. Unfortunately the ring transport has been damaged and the team have to remain aboard the ship, crashing into Earth.

We cut to that evening where the SGC have found the ship intact under water and have sent a submarine. Teal’c and Jonas arrive back and join the rescue operation. Back on the ship Sam posits the theory that Thors virus has been trying to defend itself; she and Jack head off to the computer core to check it out. On the way they find evidence of flooding and the doors in the corridor close behind them – a security measure to seal the breach. Jacob tries desperately to fix it from the pel’tak but fails and both he and Davis believe both Jack and Sam are dead. Jack and Sam attempt to stay afloat and breathing as long as possible. Seconds away from death, the door releases apparently by itself and the pair are saved. Back on the pel’tak the group discover the voice left behind on the ship is not a virus, it is in fact the consciousness of Thor. To save him they decide to “download” his consciousness then escape the ship before the self-destruct is reactivated. Before they can however, Jack, Teal’c and Sam are trapped by flooded corridors and decide to escape via the glider bay. With little power Sam is unable to de-pressurise the glider bay and Jonas manages to re-route power from near his location then ring to Jack, Sam and Teal’c. SG-1 get into the gliders, escape the ship and live to fight another day.

Analysis
                            Picking up nicely from the events of Redemption, Descent is the real beginning to Season 6. And it has a lot to accomplish from the outset. Despite saving the world in the previous episode, the Jonas character hasn’t really been given the chance to shine nor find his own place in the team. From the beginning Jack clearly doesn’t trust him, ordering him to remain on the ship with Teal’c. Jonas feels like he needs to prove himself, not only to really be a part of this amazing opportunity but, I believe, for his guilt over what happened to Daniel. It’s this second reason why I don’t think the character ever really gets the chance to take-off during Season 6 and it’s a shame as he is a great character. Moving away from that Descent also needs to provide a solid start to the one-ep storylines of the season, whilst picking up on previous story arcs.
                            Personally I’ve never been able to put my finger on why I enjoy the episode so much but I think part of it is that it’s such a great all-rounder. There really is something for everyone here and it’s always nice to see that father/daughter dynamic with Jacob and Sam.

Looking at it again, this episode is really all about Jonas’ character development. With that in mind I’ve pinpointed some of his key scenes (spoilered for non Sam/Jack ship)
                            Spoiler:

Jonas/Teal’c – As I said, this is a huge episode for Jonas character. He has a lot to prove to the other members of SG-1, especially Colonel O’Neill, to himself and to the audience at large – that this character deserves a place in the team not necessarily to replace Daniel but to provide a suitable alternative. There are a couple of incredibly important scenes for him in this episode.

-Talking to Teal’c on the cargo ship. In this exchange Jonas is eating (listen to the commentary on this – hilarious!) and attempts to discuss with Teal’c why Colonel O’Neill wouldn’t let him on the mothership. Teal’c dispenses some excellent advice whilst at the same time revealing his huge understanding and respect for O’Neill. I also think there is a little it of Jaffa humour going on here – I think Teal’c is hazing Jonas and having a little fun at his expense with the “alien conspiracy” line. Great writing.

-The second scene is in the jeep. Jonas reveals his desire to be with the others on the ship; again exposing his guilt at Daniel’s death. In an act of compassion, Teal’c refers to Jonas’ idea in Redemption which saved so many. He shows he is beginning to develop trust in the younger man and this does wanders for Jonas’ confidence.

-This trust combined with a desire to prove himself leads Jonas to successfully rescue the other 3 when trapped. It’s this final act which endears me to him and I think sets him up for the rest of the season as a solid 4th member of the tea.
                            Away from Jonas I find this episode has some superb one-liners and is great for the relationships between Jacob and Sam and Jacob and Jack. Plus who doesn’t enjoy a bit of Major Davis from time to time, although I’m not really sure exactly what he is doing there. He seems to have an aptitude with computers considering both he and Carter were sent to take a look at the core, and it is he that manages to reduce the distortion on the recording of Thor’s voice. Correct me if I’m wrong but we’ve only ever seen Davis as an aide of the Pentagon so I think it’s an interesting dynamic to have him out in the field.

Implications for Sam and Jack
                            To me Sam and Jack are really starting to get comfortable with each other again after the events of Descent. We see it somewhat in Redemption but I feel there is still some underlying angst there. In Descent we start to get the little quips, the side looks and the veiled flirting that we saw so much of in Season 4. Perhaps both have realised, albeit subconsciously, that after what happened to Daniel life is to short not to at least consider the possibility of a future together – to me they start to see their relationship as much more of a possibility than a barrier, as in the whole of Season 5. Don’t get me wrong, there are still huge obstacles to overcome and before the “end” both will waiver but it’s from here on in that I think we start to see them on a level playing field with each other in terms of how they feel.

The scene in the submerged corridor is my absolute favourite and it probably features one of the smallest pieces of shippyness possible but I still love it. As the water begins to go down and both gasp at the air, Jack grabs Sams front and back to keep her steady as she chokes. It’s a tiny little scene and could be attributed to nothing more than a superior officer looking out for his subordinate but I see something more. Jack is always aware of where Sam is and is concerned for her welfare. Whilst he knows full well that she handle herself, it’s a small gesture that says a lot.

This episode also features one of less widely-reported rumours of Stargate. Apparently there was originally discussion of a kiss between Sam and Jack at this point in the corridor. Whether to say goodbye or to share air or what I don’t really know but both actors felt it would be out of place. I’m not 100% sure of the details on this one, but perhaps another poster can enlighten us. It’s an interesting idea but I for one am glad it didn’t occur. With the benefit of hindsight I do think it would have been out of place, but I’m intrigued to hear what everyone else thinks.

So, in conclusion I don’t believe there are any real ‘implications’ for Sam/Jack which spring to mind with this ep. However the overwhelming impression I am left with is that they are both settling back into that old routine that we saw more of in Season 5, and perhaps opening up to the possibility of something in the future.

Comment

Great review Sarai!

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
                              Analysis
                              -Talking to Teal’c on the cargo ship. In this exchange Jonas is eating (listen to the commentary on this – hilarious!) and attempts to discuss with Teal’c why Colonel O’Neill wouldn’t let him on the mothership. Teal’c dispenses some excellent advice whilst at the same time revealing his huge understanding and respect for O’Neill. I also think there is a little it of Jaffa humour going on here – I think Teal’c is hazing Jonas and having a little fun at his expense with the “alien conspiracy” line. Great writing.
                              I love this scene too, and, if I can twist this to a shippy perspective, it's occurred to me before that the putting-together of Jonas with Teal'c that we see so much in early S6 (Teal'c quite clearly takes a bit of a mentoring role to Jonas, who likewise views Teal'c as a bit of a mentor due to their shared alien-ness) also has the effect of throwing Sam and Jack together a bit more in these first few episodes than we've seen for a while.

Away from Jonas I find this episode has some superb one-liners and is great for the relationships between Jacob and Sam and Jacob and Jack. Plus who doesn’t enjoy a bit of Major Davis from time to time, although I’m not really sure exactly what he is doing there. He seems to have an aptitude with computers considering both he and Carter were sent to take a look at the core, and it is he that manages to reduce the distortion on the recording of Thor’s voice. Correct me if I’m wrong but we’ve only ever seen Davis as an aide of the Pentagon so I think it’s an interesting dynamic to have him out in the field.
                              I've always found it a little weird suddenly having Major Davis in this kind of role, which he doesn't ever really do again much either. I do like him, but his presence here does stick out a little, IMO, along with his slightly panicked reaction to Sam and Jack's being in danger when they're in the flooding corridor.

Implications for Sam and Jack
                              To me Sam and Jack are really starting to get comfortable with each other again after the events of Descent. We see it somewhat in Redemption but I feel there is still some underlying angst there. In Descent we start to get the little quips, the side looks and the veiled flirting that we saw so much of in Season 4. Perhaps both have realised, albeit subconsciously, that after what happened to Daniel life is to short not to at least consider the possibility of a future together – to me they start to see their relationship as much more of a possibility than a barrier, as in the whole of Season 5. Don’t get me wrong, there are still huge obstacles to overcome and before the “end” both will waiver but it’s from here on in that I think we start to see them on a level playing field with each other in terms of how they feel.
                              This is a nice point, and I really like the bolded as an explanation for why they're so much more comfortable suddenly here.

The scene in the submerged corridor is my absolute favourite and it probably features one of the smallest pieces of shippyness possible but I still love it. As the water begins to go down and both gasp at the air, Jack grabs Sams front and back to keep her steady as she chokes. It’s a tiny little scene and could be attributed to nothing more than a superior officer looking out for his subordinate but I see something more. Jack is always aware of where Sam is and is concerned for her welfare. Whilst he knows full well that she handle herself, it’s a small gesture that says a lot.
                              I love it too It's such an automatic and unconscious gesture on Jack's part, and actually says a lot about his character and how he's always more concerned for other people's safety than his own. Although am I right in thinking that this was something RDA did because AT started to choke, and wasn't 'intended'? Even so though, I agree it's a lovely moment

This episode also features one of less widely-reported rumours of Stargate. Apparently there was originally discussion of a kiss between Sam and Jack at this point in the corridor. Whether to say goodbye or to share air or what I don’t really know but both actors felt it would be out of place. I’m not 100% sure of the details on this one, but perhaps another poster can enlighten us. It’s an interesting idea but I for one am glad it didn’t occur. With the benefit of hindsight I do think it would have been out of place, but I’m intrigued to hear what everyone else thinks.
                              Yeah I'm with you, I don't think it would have fitted. However comfortable Sam and Jack are with one another at the moment, this is a line I can't see them crossing at this point. I do have to mention though the really rather incredibly flirtatious look Sam gives Jack when they're back in the teltac after the almost-drowning
                              sigpic

Comment

I really like Descent. It has some great action sequences and many lovely character beats. Jacob and Maj. Davis are two of my favorite secondary characters; so how could they go wrong?!

OT Jonas and Davis:
                                Spoiler:

Initially I didn't feel like I got enough of Jonas in just the one season to warm up to become attached to his character. But going back I find I like him more every time I watch the episodes with him in it.

I like the way they handled his incorporation into the team. It makes sense to me that he would have to prove himself. And while Jack never explained his reasons for leaving Jonas on the cargo ship with Teal'c (because he doesn't have to) I don't believe it was something as petty as him disliking or mistrusting Jonas over the whole Daniel incident. As demonstrated when the Jaffa attacked in the cargo ship, Jonas was not ready for combat action. I know that didn't make Jonas feel good, but Jack was acting as a good commander. He was protecting all of his team, Jonas included. They didn't know what they would be facing on mothership and Jack wasn't about to put Jonas or the others in danger to sooth his feelings. The others who went over had either sufficient training or a definite purpose (Freisan for his scientific knowledge supposedly, but practically TPTB probably felt they needed a "redshirt" to create a sense of danger). It was just good leadership to leave Jonas with Teal'c (who could and did protect him) until they had secured the ship and disarmed the self destruct.

As for Major Davis' role, it should be noted that initially the script called for another random scientist like Freisan. It was Collin Cunningham who approached the writers and producers about using Maj. Davis. I think it makes good sense. We know he is the liason between the SGC and the Pentagon, and Davis seems to always be sent over when it looks like something is going wrong (like a mothership detected in orbit that could wipe out the planet). Davis has the trust of both the Pentagon and the SGC so he would be a logical choice to be sent along to oversee possible salvage operations. I'm also not surprised to discover that he has a great deal of technical expertise. As the Pentagon's link to the SGC, Davis would have to digest and summarize reports and information coming from the SGC for his superiors. He would have to have a good understanding of the technical as well as the military and political situations involved.

And I think that Davis has developed good working relationships with the members of SG1 and other SGC personnel. It doesn't surprise me at all that he doesn't want Sam and Jack to drown, is desperate to do something about it, and distressed when it looks like there's nothing he and Jacob can do to save them.

All in all, I think including Maj. Davis was a great choice and elevated this episode over what it would have been with just a random scientist in his place.

Sam/Jack
                                I never spotted the moment in the flooded compartment when Jack grabbed Sam until I watched it in slow motion. So, while it is nice, it never really meant much to me. (And I did read somewhere that AT kept swallowing water as they went under, and RDA asked her why she was doing that and she responded it wasn't on purpose.) I never heard a rumor about a kiss here, and I have a hard time believing it was ever actually scripted. It just makes no sense.

More shippy for me is when they discover Freisan has gone to look at the shield generators and Jack looks at Sam and shakes his finger at her, saying, "You scientists." He's annoyed with Freisan but you know he meant it fondly with regard to Sam. I think it's cute.

I also like Jack encouraging her (plenty of time) when Sam is trying to raise the shields in the glider bay. He keeps putting his hand on her shoulder. I know Jack does tend to pat other people on the shoulder fairly often, but you know three times. I just got the feeling he really wanted to touch her.

Implications: I think Jack is much more flirty with Sam than he's been in a long time. And I see a definite equality in their relationship; they seem like a pair. I like it.
                                Last edited by hlndncr; 19 July 2010, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X