Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Gorgeous banner by Sarai

Welcome to Artwork for All, a new, multifandom, challenge-based art thread. If you want to improve your art, no matter what you're making art of, then this is the place for you!

The ground rules

1. All art is welcome. Feel free to post artwork of any fandom, any character, any pairing, anything you like! The only restrictions are the Gateworld rules regarding images, as follows:
    - 100KB maximum filesize and max width of 700px, regardless of whether the picture is under spoiler tags
    - All reposts/quotes of posts containing graphics must have the IMG tags removed or changed to URL tags
    - Be careful of manips (eg, no head/body-swapping), keep it PG, and please use spoiler tags if appropriate for currently airing shows.

2. Be nice. The whole idea of this thread is to have fun and share our artwork, so if you don't like or even know the fandom/character/pairing/whatever, then please limit your comments to the art itself. We want this to be a friendly place, so bashing of any kind will not be tolerated.

3. Sharing. While the thread will be challenge-based, it's not exclusively for the challenges. Feel free to share or request any of the following any time:
    - Artwork
    - Resources (textures, fonts, brushes, etc)
    - Tutorials
    - Hints/tips/tricks
    - Guidance on how to do specific things

A master list of resources and tutorials shared on the thread can be found here

The challenges

Most weeks, we will run challenges. These are designed both to give us incentive to challenge ourselves and learn new things, and also to give us some inspiration (because let's face it, the mojo comes and goes for all of us!).

Challenges will be a mixture of thematic and technical, and challenge prompts will be as open as possible so that you can use whatever subject you choose.

Challenges will run from Friday to Friday. Please post your entries on the thread and also PM them to the designated person by 5pm that Friday (UK time), who will post all the entries in a round-up at the end of the week before kicking off the next challenge. All the challenge posts will be archived here, with the current challenge at the top of the list.

Examples of some of the kind of challenges you can expect here would be:

- Making art inspired by a quote
    - Making art inspired by a theme, eg 'near', 'blue', 'time', 'ships'
    - 'Do-over' challenges - a chance to redo an old piece of artwork
    - Imitation challenges - have a go at making a piece of art in someone else's style
    - Making art of a specific size - wallpapers, icons, avatars, sigs
    - 7in7 icon challenges (kind of like 20in20s on Livejournal)
    - Making art to a specific technical requirement, eg black & white, close crop, reflections, negative space, one pic

Ideas for challenge prompts are always welcome - please PM Jumble, Sarai or Josiane if you have any suggestions.

Tutorial weeks

The first week of every month will be a designated tutorial week, and will have no challenge. The idea is that during this week, thread members should post a tutorial, either of something they have made recently, or that they have found elsewhere and found useful, for other thread members to try. The tutorials, and art made following them during the week, will be posted in the round-up post.

Enjoy the thread!
    Last edited by josiane; 03 January 2013, 09:44 AM. Reason: Adding in additional useful information
    sigpic
    Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

WooHoooood!!!! *happy dances*

Oh, um, was I supposed to be calm and serious?

Ok, I am seriously overjoyed that we're finally here

And to celebrate, I'm going to post today's PSing results.........

..... made from this tut by Estrela

Who uses which programme?
    Jumble - PS CS3
    Josiane - PS CS5
    Bailey - Gimp
    Estrela - PS CS3
    Hyn - Gimp (art), Photo Commander (gifs)
    Sarai - PS CS3
    Madness reigns - GIMP
    DeliRicia - PS CS?
    ladygris - Gimp
    Stargate78fan - Photoshop 8
    Syfyfan - PS CS5
    Nolamom - PS CS5
    Scifan - Gimp
    yamiinsane - PS CS3
    Maneth - PS CS2
    Rocket - GIMP
    ShaViva - Gimp
    XFchemist - PS CS4
    Graceful Spirit - PSP X2 and PSE 7 (on occasion)
    bandcat PSP X2/X4
    Blacky Kitten - PS CS5
    RodneyIsGodney - Gimp
    LadyGalaxyJ - CS5
    Last edited by Jumble; 02 January 2013, 02:44 AM.

Comment

This looks absolutely fantastic!

Got a quick question. The tuts......Do you want them under spoilers if they're text-only? Or on a different site? I don't have many tuts, but one I use all the time.

Comment

Welcome ladygris! Hope you'll enjoy the thread!

As for tuts and spoiler tags, I think just play it by ear - if it's pretty long, then probably a good idea to spoiler the main text of it, but if it's short then no need And post here or link elsewhere as you choose - whatever's easiest for you at the time!
        sigpic

Comment

Nice thread! Looking forward to what will happen here and a way for myself to contribute and have some fun!

sigpic
          Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Hi peeps!

This sounds fun! I will try to participate as much as I can.. Whenever I have the free time
            sigpic

Comment

Cool thread!!!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
                Nice thread! Looking forward to what will happen here and a way for myself to contribute and have some fun!

You just bring yourself along and join in

Originally posted by Sapphire_Jade View Post
                Hi peeps!

This sounds fun! I will try to participate as much as I can.. Whenever I have the free time
                Welcome to the thread

*waves to LG and SyFy* Welcome

Comment

Good idea.
                  About sharing tips or tutorials - can we post someone else's tutorial or does it have to be made by the poster? Like if we find an appropriate tutorial on, say, DeviantArt.
                  I mean, I consider myself a fairly good artist, but I'm hardly in a position to give many tips or do a tutorial!

As for the challenges, as soon as I saw the 'Do-over' one, I knew exactly which picture I would redo - my first dragon. It's so cr*p compared with how I draw now!
                  I just hope I can find the disc to reinstall my tablet after my comp crash...
                  "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                  "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                  "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                  "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                  >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

So excited I posted this in the wrong thread *laughs at self* So reposting here.

Originally posted by bailey1ak View Post
                    You made me smile, Jumble... thank you. I read through the rules and such and it looks to be lots of fun. Can't wait for you all to get started.

BTW, the sigs look great. Love the coloring on the one your using as you sig and avi now.
                    sigpic

Comment

Welcome everyone! This is so exciting!

Jae'a, by all means post links to tutorials you find elsewhere The idea behind tutorial weeks is to learn new things, whether that be from other thread members or from a tut from somewhere else
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
                        Good idea.
                        About sharing tips or tutorials - can we post someone else's tutorial or does it have to be made by the poster? Like if we find an appropriate tutorial on, say, DeviantArt.
                        I mean, I consider myself a fairly good artist, but I'm hardly in a position to give many tips or do a tutorial!
                        Welcome to the thread! You're welcome to post any tut you like

As for the challenges, as soon as I saw the 'Do-over' one, I knew exactly which picture I would redo - my first dragon. It's so cr*p compared with how I draw now!
                        I just hope I can find the disc to reinstall my tablet after my comp crash...
                        Oh, it's so exciting to have so many people already interested! *crosses fingers for successful reinstallation*

Originally posted by bailey1ak View Post
                        So excited I posted this in the wrong thread *laughs at self* So reposting here.
                        The excitement seems to be contagious

Comment

Sharing...

and Tut
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by syfyfan View Post
                            Wow! That's nice! Thanks for the tut

*waves madly at SeNedra and Dee*

Comment

Great idea for this thread! I am looking very forward to participating in here. I also can't wait to try the tut by Estrela. Will have to wait until tomorrow though cuz I am on my way out.

Fun place!
                              sigpic
                              Sig made by me

Comment

Working...
                              X