Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great revie Sarai!

I admit I haven't seen the ep in quite some time and RL's too busy to watch it now but I still wanted to comment on some things.

Originally posted by josiane
    I love this scene too, and, if I can twist this to a shippy perspective, it's occurred to me before that the putting-together of Jonas with Teal'c that we see so much in early S6 (Teal'c quite clearly takes a bit of a mentoring role to Jonas, who likewise views Teal'c as a bit of a mentor due to their shared alien-ness) also has the effect of throwing Sam and Jack together a bit more in these first few episodes than we've seen for a while.
    It's another reason why I love season 6 so much and think that adding Jonas was a blessing to the show. In team-y respect season 6 is the most equal of all seasons. Pairings are mixed up and while I *think* Sam/Jack and Jonas/Teal'c are paired most often it's still not enough to call them usual pairings because there is a lot of 3 vs 1, or Jack/Teal'c vs Sam/Jonas etc. And everybody has that equal vibe; while there's no doubt Jack's in charge they all come across as friends first and foremost. There's a lot of teasing, mentoring, helping, flirting and being optimistic - more than in any other season. Okay, okay, I'll stop gushing now.

Yeah I'm with you, I don't think it would have fitted. However comfortable Sam and Jack are with one another at the moment, this is a line I can't see them crossing at this point.
    I admit I haven't heard about this kiss either. Tbh I'm in 2 minds here; on the one hand, the way it plays now is so natural and nice that it's hard to imagine a kiss thrown in. But otoh I'm a sucker for S/J kisses and honestly, they don't have to make sense plot-wise to me! So I'd be happy either way.

re: bolded. Actually I think that time-wise kiss at this moment would have worked. Daniel had died just 3 months earlier, they had a new team member to break who constantly reminded them with his very presence of inevitability of death, their feelings were still raw and suddenly they both almost drowned. They both watched how the other was dieing and couldn't do anything about it - I'd say it hammered home some truths and some kissing under the circumstances would have been understandable.

Then again, I'm continually amazed that they didn't do *anything* post-Abyss/Metamorphosis/Paradise Lost...

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
    And while Jack never explained his reasons for leaving Jonas on the cargo ship with Teal'c (because he doesn't have to) I don't believe it was something as petty as him disliking or mistrusting Jonas over the whole Daniel incident. As demonstrated when the Jaffa attacked in the cargo ship, Jonas was not ready for combat action. I know that didn't make Jonas feel good, but Jack was acting as a good commander. He was protecting all of his team, Jonas included.
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who reads this scene like this. Exactly! Mental green for it!

Also, because I love Jonas and the banana scene and the whole ep and hedwig, sweet as she is, gifted me with these smilies and I really want to use them:

As for Major Davis' role, it should be noted that initially the script called for another random scientist like Freisan. It was Collin Cunningham who approached the writers and producers about using Maj. Davis. I think it makes good sense. We know he is the liason between the SGC and the Pentagon, and Davis seems to always be sent over when it looks like something is going wrong (like a mothership detected in orbit that could wipe out the planet). Davis has the trust of both the Pentagon and the SGC so he would be a logical choice to be sent along to oversee possible salvage operations. I'm also not surprised to discover that he has a great deal of technical expertise. As the Pentagon's link to the SGC, Davis would have to digest and summarize reports and information coming from the SGC for his superiors. He would have to have a good understanding of the technical as well as the military and political situations involved.
    Oh, perfect explanation. I loved Maj Davies' involvement but never bothered to think too hard exactly what was he doing on the ship. What you wrote works for me!

I also like how emotional he is in the drowning scene. I think it's a good characterisation because, well, as much as I love him he's a bureaucrat, not combat soldier. Politics is his forte, not front lines, and it's probably the first time he had to listen to someone dieing live.
    There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
    sigpic
    awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

I'd hoped to not fall behind with S6 like I did with S5 but working all weekend scuppered that so here's a quick catch-up post.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      Her comment to Teal'c as they are sitting at the controls of the hatak (in "Revelations") is evidence of the bolded part, when she says "Tell me I'm not alone" (in feeling the loss of Daniel). She wouldn't have said that had she felt that Jack felt Daniel's loss; so it indicates to me that she thinks he's not feeling it, and yes she feels very hurt and alone in her sorrow. I think she also doubts whether Teal'c feels the loss or she wouldn't have said that to him. Her further comment of "please, don't give me that way of the warrior crap; I get enough of that from the Colonel" is also more indication of not thinking Jack is feeling Daniel's loss.
      I agree, I think in Revelations we saw what was essentially clashing styles of grieving between Sam, Jack, and Teal'c that are in part related to their different levels of experience with loss. Both Jack and Teal'c have lost close teammates and friends in combat situations before, while IMO this is likely the first time Sam has experienced the loss of a close friend/teammate. She wants to openly talk about it and not just move on, but getting on with the job is exactly how Jack, Teal'c, and even Hammond have learned to deal with such situations (and probably how her father also dealt with her mother's death so she's faced the 'way of the warrior crap' before) so Sam is left feeling rather alone in her grief. But I think at the end of the ep, with SG-1 plus Hammond all going to dinner together starts a process of reconciliation and shared grieving between all of SG-1 that 3 months later results in the more business as usual interactions we see in S6.

Originally posted by Petra View Post
      Guys, I’m baaaack!
      Yay! ((hugs))

I find it interesting though that nobody commented on McKay. I must say I much prefer McKay from Redemption to McKay from 48 hours. I love his interaction with Sam but one thing that has me puzzled is Sam’s comment at the end when she says she found him more attractive when she hated him. I tend to dismiss it as Sam pulling his leg because I’ve never seen her attracted to him...
      I don't think Sam's ever been attracted to McKay either, I think she was just him in that scene which was part of the kind of softening towards him she showed in these episodes after 48 hours. In the infirmary scene we finally get to see beyond McKay's bluster and arrogance and I think that soften some of the dislike she'd had for him.

For Redemption I and II as a whole, I agree that it does a very good job of introducing Stargate to a new audience while keeping up ongoing storylines for long-time viewers (bringing back McKay, referencing the 301 incident, all the drama between Tealc, R'yac, and Bra'tac, etc). I also like how Jonas joining the team was never the focus of the episodes but you saw the beginnings of his relationships with SG-1 so it made sense to me why Jack picked him by the end of the episode.

Great review Sarai, Descent is one of my favorite eps from the whole series, I think all the characters play off of each other very well, including guest characters Davis and my personal favorite Jacob. My favorite parts are the whole almost drowning sequence (esp Jacob's angst at not being able to save his daughter), the alien conspiracy bit with Jonas and Teal'c, and the ending with Jack having some fun with Jonas in the glider after reporting that all of SG-1 were present and accounted for.

This episode also features one of less widely-reported rumours of Stargate. Apparently there was originally discussion of a kiss between Sam and Jack at this point in the corridor. Whether to say goodbye or to share air or what I don’t really know but both actors felt it would be out of place. I’m not 100% sure of the details on this one, but perhaps another poster can enlighten us. It’s an interesting idea but I for one am glad it didn’t occur. With the benefit of hindsight I do think it would have been out of place, but I’m intrigued to hear what everyone else thinks.
      IMHO, a kiss would have been very out of place in that scene and I'm glad they decided against it. To me, both Sam and Jack are people who need time to work up to physical intimacy or open displays of affection and I don't think the flooding ship would speed up that process, they'd be too focused on not drowning. A look of regret or even holding hands while underwater, sure, but not a kiss IMO.

sigpic

Comment

I'm going to apologise for not having had time to post and comment here this week. All I can say it the reviews have, as always, be fab to read and some lovely points raised by everyone.

Sarai, I am glad you enjoyed taking part and will definitely pop you down for some S7 ones. I have a feeling S7 might just be rather popular!

Just one thing to touch on. I heard that rumour about the kiss in Descent too although I was never sure if it was an official thing or just shipper fandom wishful thinking. It would certainly work in the context of CPR style and, yes, I do believe I've read fanfic around that too. I don't think an actual "OMg we're about to die" kiss would have worked so well.

Isn't it interesting to see how much more relaxed Sam and Jack are around each other after all the distance in Season 5 that culminated with their differing feelings over Daniel's death. Well not different just different way of handling them. This is definitely a theme that continues throughout much of season 6 and into season 7 too.

I am supposed to be doing Frozen tonight but, frankly, I have been so busy this week and I'm so tired I am going to take a bit more time to write it up properly and do it justice and post tomorrow instead.
        sigpic

Comment

I can't stay up to Midnight on a work night!!! Why so late?? I'm bummed... but I'll be sure to be on the forum earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
            I can't stay up to Midnight on a work night!!! Why so late?? I'm bummed... but I'll be sure to be on the forum earlier.

If you are referring to Ship day then I think you'll find it runs 24 hours from midnight to midnight. This is to allow all members from around the world in different timezones a chance to participate. I think you'll find you're not expected to actually be there at the start and stay for the full 24 hours. Just turn up some time and you can catch up on all that's gone on before.
            sigpic

Comment

Apologies, this is really late but here it is at last!

Banner by me!

Synopsis

Byers - who is obviously on some kind of undercover reporter mission from The Lone Gunman - is hanging out in the Antarctic with a bunch of scientists who have been unsuccessfully looking for interesting things at the site where Sam and Jack got stranded all those years ago. Just as they are about to give up hope of finding anything interesting they manage to uncover a woman frozen in the ice. SG-1 decide to mosey on down for a look bringing back beautiful memories of snuggling and sidearms for Jack and Sam. For reasons which will become plot drivenly obvious fairly quickly, Dr Fraiser decides to join them. The woman turns out not only to be alive but Colonel Young’s future wife... and she’s an ancient; you might imagine she would have mentioned this to Young what with him now being stranded billions of light years away on an ancient ship and all that but...um, I guess that would make SGU a rather short series.

A snowstorm descends on the base, effectively trapping them. Nobody starts spouting legs out of their heads and having dogs barking at them for being all wiggy and alienlike while Kurt Russell sulks broodily in the background. Nor do Mulder or Scully arrive to rescue Byers or do incredibly hot things to each other in storage closets. Instead Jonas starts a kind of pseudo relationship with the first of many alien babes (and bless him, he has even less luck with alien girlfriends than Sam does with alien boyfriends). Meanwhile Doctor Michaels is taken very ill and Doctor Woods gets lost in the snowstorm and is brought back into the base effectively minutes from death. Well that is until Aiyana The Ancient heals him completely. The rest of the group quickly realise how very handy that is and she’s enlisted to heal Michaels too. As each of the rest of the group succumb to the mystery illness they begin to realise the virus is caused by Aiyana who was a carrier. Wasn’t it convenient Doctor Fraiser just happened to tag along huh! Aiyana realises she’s the cause of their illness and sets about healing them all. This takes a lot out of her and she manages to heal everyone but upon seeing how overwhelmingly hot Jack is here, she passes out through thunk overdose and is then too weak to heal him too.

They are all rescued from the base after the storm has passed and all but Jack and Aiyana are well. By this point Aiyana is succumbing to the virus herself and has no strength to heal herself. She dies shortly after getting back to the SGC who are seeking help from the Tok’ra to heal Jack. They offer him a symbiote which Sam manages to persuade him to accept – ah such is the power of a plea from the woman you love! Jack you're such a sucker.

Review

You know the reason I wanted to review this one is because, as a massive X Files fan the chance to comment about the actor who played Byers was too good an opportunity to pass up. It has nothing to do with the fact it’s such a significant episode for Jack in terms of character development or, in fact, for Jonas in terms of his integration into the team. Or nothing whatsoever to do with that surprisingly shippy moment right at the end.

It’s quite easy to dismiss this episode as a bit of a filler but, frankly I think it’s a smashing little gem of an episode. It’s so different from the normal beat-the-bad-guys fare and it sets up so many things and updates stuff that will become relevant later on – for instance finding out they have and still are researching in the Antarctic on the spot the second gate was found, developing stuff that eventually becomes back story for the ancients. And, of course, there’s a massive impact of Jack because of the events here that have repercussions for several more episodes, if not a good deal longer. In hindsight I have often wondered whether leaving Jack until last to heal (and subsequently running out of the ability to do so) was a deliberate thing by Aiyana because of the ancient gene we later find out he has? I don’t know if it is relevant but something that occurred to me could be.

I do really think this is where Jonas comes into his own since a large chunk of Aiyana’s interaction is left down to Jonas. Considering that this is only his second full mission as part of SG-1 that’s pretty significant. Even this early on it feels like he totally belongs there (and I’ll admit I was one who was quite disappointed that he only lasted one season and I’d have been happy to see him stay and Daniel Jackson not to return in a full time capacity but that’s by the by).

There’s so many great little scenes in this episode. The one right at the start when we see Doctor Michaels talking to someone on a monitor and then we pan over to the monitor to see it’s Sam and then, suddenly we’re looking at Michaels on Sam’s monitor and then we pan across to her in the flesh. I love that scene and the way it is put together. Ah Martin Wood, you are the God of directing! There’s actually quite a lot of stuff shown through monitors in this episode which is not an often used device on SG-1 so it does help give the episode a unique and slightly claustrophobic feel.

I also love the Doctor – Major-Doctor exchange at the start when they are all introducing each other. Just makes me giggle when Jack tells them to cut it out!

And I guess I probably ought to mention that scene at the end. You know the one with Jack on his death bed and Sam begging him to take a symbiote to survive. Did Jack agree to do so for the greater good (i.e. to help the Tok’ra obtain their information) or did he do it because Sam practically begged him to? Jack could never turn Sam down when she says “Sir, please” in that way. To me, I’ve always believed Jack did it for Sam – if nothing else you have a massive musical cue that this is the intent as the Sam/Jack angsty theme cuts through as she’s asking and he relents and agrees. I’m pretty sure the Tok’ra would have found another host fairly quickly (or found a way to obtain the information by other means) and I’m pretty certain Jack would have been aware of that. Jack – who has no love at all for symbiotes and not much reason to do any favours for even the Tok’ra – could easily have refused had this been anyone else asking.

The really interesting thing about it is that scene comes as a complete surprise. While it’s true that it’s Sam who is the one looking out for his interests once they get back to the SGC (she’s the one who insists it should be his choice) there’s nothing particularly overt throughout the episode and, actually, not really much interaction between them at all before this. So that last seven or eight minutes there do come as a nice surprise and then the final chock-full-o-angstship scene there is delightful and very squee worthy!

Implications For Sam & Jack

Directly in this episode, only more of the back to the closeness they have recently been experiencing. And yet another example about how easily Sam can get Jack to do something when she really wants it. Ongoing there are implications from this that echo through the next few episodes at least and then, onwards through the series but they are issues to discuss after those ongoing events.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                If you are referring to Ship day then I think you'll find it runs 24 hours from midnight to midnight. This is to allow all members from around the world in different timezones a chance to participate. I think you'll find you're not expected to actually be there at the start and stay for the full 24 hours. Just turn up some time and you can catch up on all that's gone on before.
                Sweet! Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

It’s quite easy to dismiss this episode as a bit of a filler but, frankly I think it’s a smashing little gem of an episode. It’s so different from the normal beat-the-bad-guys fare and it sets up so many things and updates stuff that will become relevant later on – for instance finding out they have and still are researching in the Antarctic on the spot the second gate was found, developing stuff that eventually becomes back story for the ancients. And, of course, there’s a massive impact of Jack because of the events here that have repercussions for several more episodes, if not a good deal longer. In hindsight I have often wondered whether leaving Jack until last to heal (and subsequently running out of the ability to do so) was a deliberate thing by Aiyana because of the ancient gene we later find out he has? I don’t know if it is relevant but something that occurred to me could be.
                  Really well argued - I've never been over-fond of Frozen, for some reason, but you've really pointed out there how important an episode it is on the quiet I can't put my finger on why, when as you say, there are a lot of great moments, but it's never one I get enthusiastic about when it comes round on a rewatch or turns up on the TV

Good point as well about why perhaps Aiyana left Jack to last to heal, I'd never thought of that

And I guess I probably ought to mention that scene at the end. You know the one with Jack on his death bed and Sam begging him to take a symbiote to survive. Did Jack agree to do so for the greater good (i.e. to help the Tok’ra obtain their information) or did he do it because Sam practically begged him to? Jack could never turn Sam down when she says “Sir, please” in that way. To me, I’ve always believed Jack did it for Sam – if nothing else you have a massive musical cue that this is the intent as the Sam/Jack angsty theme cuts through as she’s asking and he relents and agrees. I’m pretty sure the Tok’ra would have found another host fairly quickly (or found a way to obtain the information by other means) and I’m pretty certain Jack would have been aware of that. Jack – who has no love at all for symbiotes and not much reason to do any favours for even the Tok’ra – could easily have refused had this been anyone else asking.
                  Oh I'm definitely of the opinion that he did it for Sam, both directly and indirectly. As you say, Jack has no love for the Tok'ra and, while he might be persuaded when less sick (and therefore presumably not thinking quite so clearly as he would when well) that rationally helping the Tok'ra might help Earth too and contribute to the fight against the Goa'uld, I cannot imagine his head overruling his gut distaste for symbiotes. Distaste is actually not really a strong enough word - I always get the impression Jack is actually a bit phobic of them physically, so to accept one into his body is a massive thing for him to agree to do. But anyway, I've rambled a little away from what was the point I originally intended to make here, which is the reason why he agrees to something which is incredibly distasteful to him. Directly, it's because Sam pleads with him, and as we see time and time again when she really asks, he always gives in to her. Indirectly, it's because he wants to live, and realises perhaps that this is his only chance - the end justifies the means. And I think this is as huge a thing as the fact that it's Sam that asks him, and is something I'm going to come back to in my review of Abyss later in the week. Not to anticipate that too much, but Jack's Stargate story is full of moments where he has a choice about living or dying, and they quite often relate to Sam. This is another of them - Jack is dying, will die if he doesn't accept the symbiote, and seems resigned to that. But Sam comes and asks him to live, and he overcomes his fear and hatred of symbiotes in order to do so. He chooses life, because she asks him to. I'm not saying it's quite as black and white as Jack only wanting to live because of Sam, but when you put it together with moments like him choosing to stay at the forceshield in Upgrades ('I'd have rather died than lose Carter', remember), I think she is certainly a huge part of the reason Jack accepts this means to give him a chance to live.
                  sigpic
                  Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Hi guys!!!! I'm backkk!!! yay!! Sorry real life got completely in the way for a few months!! But I'm writing something for ya'll in the hopes that I shall be forgiven!!
                    sigpic
                    True love stories never have endings
                    A life without love is no life at all My LJ My FanFicSig by Me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                      <snip>
                      I find it interesting though that nobody commented on McKay. I must say I much prefer McKay from Redemption to McKay from 48 hours. I love his interaction with Sam but one thing that has me puzzled is Sam’s comment at the end when she says she found him more attractive when she hated him. I tend to dismiss it as Sam pulling his leg because I’ve never seen her attracted to him...
                      Yeah, I agree: it's Sam teasing him rather than a serious interest on her part. I do think it's an acknowledgement too that she's seen that he's not completely the arrogant jerk he was in 48 Hours; that there is a human being underneath the outer persona that actually is someone who she could like as a friend - it's this glimpse of McKay the human being which really gets explored in SGA to a fuller extent. Although, Redemption is mainly about Jonas's redemption and Teal'c's to a lesser degree, it is also to a very small degree a redemption for McKay too.
                      sigpic
                      Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                      My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Descent

Generally

I love this episode. It's just so much fun. Love Jonas/Teal'c friendship/mentoring: "are you suggesting an alien conspiracy, Jonas Quinn?", love the ninja Jaffa, love the Sam/Jack/Jacob interaction, and love Jonas effectively sealing his place in the team by saving them all.

I quite like Major Davis being along even if it really doesn't make sense. I kind of see him pressing for more action and been given the chance to go along on this as the Pentagon man and then realising he'd gotten a lot more than he'd bargained for. And because he's usually flying a desk I see his panic with Jacob as understandable - he's not used to be in the thick of it.

I do think one of the things that gets overlooked here is that Jacob effectively can't save his own daughter from dying and how that must affect him. It is the reason why really they shouldn't work together.

Sam and Jack

Again, I see more of the same "comfortable-ness" of being around each other. I do think they're on the same page in terms of their relationship but that page is friendship.

They're both committed to being friends first and foremost, and for their own individual feelings for the other (which I believe both of them think are not mutual anymore - so Sam still loves Jack romantically but believes he doesn't feel that way about her anymore and vice versa) not to interfere with that.

But thinking the other doesn't feel that way anymore and nothing can happen, means there is some mild flirting coming back into play.
                        sigpic

Comment

Frozen

Generally

I don't like this episode simply because it's not particularly engaging. I do however recognise it's significance for later arcs: Jack's Ancient gene, the Ancient's advanced abilities, Antarctic, Atlantis not to mention the whole Ba'al and Jack affair...

Sam and Jack

Really, the end scenes are very important where Sam insists Jack is given the choice but then she is the one chosen to speak to him.

I would agree that Jack is phobic about becoming a host, perhaps not surprising given how he saw the impact to Sam and how much it affected her before they really fully understood the Tok'ra and that Jolinar wasn't typical in what she had done; perhaps not surprising given his almost-getting snaked by Hathor. And then there's Kawalsky, Skaara, Sha're...

So why does he agree? Although I believe he would never admit it, or that they would ever openly talk about it, I do think the tipping point is Sam.

There is a staged effect in their discussion:

She brings up the Tok'ra have a symbiote.

He refuses point blank. He won't accept a symbiote just to save his own life.

She counters that the symbiote's host died on an important mission and that this provides the opportunity to recover vital intelligence.

But she can see he's still not buying it even when she promises that the symbiote will die rather than stay in an unwilling host.

So, she pleads with him to live with the simple. "Sir, please."

And only then does he agree.

In hindsight, I think Jack rationalises it as it was providing something of value/it was only supposed to be temporary rather than that he agreed to live because she asked him - because that's a lot of power to effectively give to someone else.

And I think Sam actually believes that he did for the most agree not because of her effectively begging him to live with those two words but because of all the words that came before it. Because she can't allow herself to believe/doesn't allow herself to believe that he still loves her so much that he would do that for her.

I also love Josi's point that here Jack who has stated he would rather die than lose her, effectively chooses to live for her doing something he abhors rather than die and hurt her.
                          sigpic

Comment

I know that Cags just posted her (awesome) review of Frozen but I'd rather keep the schedule My ep isn't too shippy so everyone wishing to discuss Frozen some more - please, feel free to do so

So, without further ado:

Banner by JasminaGo

Synopsis:
                            Carter, Teal'c and Jonas investigate the death of a scientist with connections to the Goa'uld, and find a small town whose citizens harbor a dark secret.
                            *taken from GW; sorry guys, I hate writing summaries*

Favourite scene: Jonas and Teal’c trying to be friendly to the locals in a bar

Favourite line(s): 1) Teal’c: Still, the people of this town are behaving strangely. *pause* Even for humans.

2) Jonas: I just don’t want people around here start thinking I’m strange.
                            Sam: People don’t think you are strange.
                            Jonas: What about Colonel O’Neill?
                            Sam: Let’s get some lunch.

Generally:

“Nightwalkers” and “Resurrection” are the most X-Files-ish episodes Stargate has ever done, and so are often compared, usually in favour of the latter. My personal sentiments are exactly opposite though. I really like Nightwalkers while Resurrection is one of my least favourite episodes of the first 8 seasons (because of lack of the Stargate feel and teaminess and abundance of clichés and bad acting, something even AT’s quite good direction couldn’t change) Why do I write about it? Because contrary to popular opinion I don’t think liking or not liking these 2 episodes has anything to do with the homage paid to Mulder & Scully’s adventures and I feel that everything Resurrection lacks Nightwalkers has in spades.

Great teaser (“It was a dark and stormy night…”*), claustrophobic atmosphere, cool mystery and impressive shots of the NID storming the little town at night that would make The X-Files proud are offset by a distinctly Stargate-y twist, humour and teamwork that make it a cool SG-1 episode. Besides IMO it’s a very interesting character piece.

Jonas is still trying to fit in, with varying degrees of success. I love how he plays dumb in a very Jack-like manner to downplay his intelligence and knowledge hoping it would make people like him, how he utterly fails and how Sam sees right through him. I love him in the field, trying to make the most of the situation, being so incredibly observant and smart and at the same time so innocent, willing to learn and just have fun. That kind of attitude was sorely missed on the show and in SG-1 team.

I love how Teal’c has a ball showing off his superior knowledge of the Tau’ri (“You have much to learn about humans”), mentoring and protecting younger alien, being all cool and smug and how at ease he is while working with Sam. These two don’t even need words anymore.

Finally, Sam shines here. She has a chance to show her military side as SG-1 temporary CO, her scientific side while figuring out the mystery, her diplomatic skills when she convinces sheriff to help her and her snark and sense of humour (“We have another tradition. It’s called hardened arteries”), all the while allowing Teal’c and Jonas to get some spotlight too.

On a shallow note, I can’t help but gush how awesome and sexy everybody looks here. Those long coats, gloves, shades and leather should make an appearance more often. Guys look hot and Sam/AT is simply gorgeous, as can be seen on our cool banner. Nightwalkers features my favourite civilian attires of Sam ever.

S/J implications

Given that Jack doesn’t appear in the episode for even one second there isn’t much in terms of 'ship. The most obvious moment is when Jonas asks whether Jack will join them and Sam informs him that the suitable host hasn’t been found yet, which implies that she’s checking in with the Tok’ra regularly and apparently more often than others. Make of that what you will. What makes it shippy IMO is the look on her face: worry, sadness and concern.

If someone wears extra super-strength shippy glasses they can see some shippiness in the fact that Sam catches on so quickly to the fact that Jonas only pretended not to know who Conrad was – after all she had 5 years of experience with Jack doing exactly the same.

*That famous line was coined by the Lord Lytton, British politician and writer, in 19th century. I thought it was older than that..

Sorry for spoiling the mood but here's my completely OT request for help:
                            Spoiler:
                            Does someone remember which sci-fi writer said that there is no such thing as magic, because magic is simply technology so advanced that we don't understand it yet? And what is the exact quote? I need it for my thesis so all help would be greatly appreciated
                            sigpic
                            awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Will cover Nightwalkers later but on the OT

Spoiler:

I think that was Arthur C Clark and his laws of prediction. I believe the exact phrase is "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Is that the one you meant?

sigpic

Comment

Will cover Nightwalkers later but on the OT

Spoiler:

I think that was Arthur C Clark and his laws of prediction. I believe the exact phrase is "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Is that the one you meant?

Spoiler:
                                YES!!! Thank you! *hugs fiercely* May I proclaim that I love you?

Darn it, I should have asked the moment I realised I'd need it instead of spending hours trying to find it on my own
                                sigpic
                                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Working...
                                X