X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nightwalkers

Generally

Nice review, Petra.

On first watching, I remember thinking I found it weird that Jack didn't appear at all. Mostly I think because this is the first episode ever where he doesn't appear at all (unless I've forgotten one). And back then, I remember thinking it wasn't the wisest decision given they'd just lost Daniel/Shanks, to take out Jack/Rick for a whole show; to lose one fair enough, to lose two seemed careless. Moreover, I was expecting the episode to deal with Jack's recovery (and hoped for some nice Sam/Jack scenes) so was doubly disappointed.

Of course, now, several years and rewatches later, the whole arc is better understood when watching Nightwalkers and there is the knowledge that both Daniel and Jack actually feature heavily in the next episode, Abyss. But back then, with all respect to Teal'c/Judge, Sam/Amanda and Jonas/Corin, I think that it coloured mine (and a lot of people's) initial reaction to the episode that the two original characters from the Stargate-verse were in effect MIA and that the episode seemed jarring in the flow of the story from Frozen given its homage to the X-Files and the underlying note of being played for laughs.

In rewatching since then, I actually do enjoy Nightwalkers as a bit of a light-hearted romp, and the mini-team of Sam, Teal'c and Jonas. It did allow Sam to express more of her leadership side; enabled Teal'c and Jonas to get more of the action (love the scene in the bar and the diner).

However, it is one of those episodes that stretches the believability to the maximum (a whole town is under the influence of the Goa'uld and they all just blithely accept the injection as a virus outbreak/innoculation??). I also think the whole issue of Sam being Goa'ulded even briefly is swept under the carpet just far too rapidly and speaking of Sam...

Sam and Jack

So, my first issue with Nightwalkers is why the SGC and SG1 simply allow Jack to be left in the Tok'ra's custody; effectively leaving him behind. Yes, the Tok'ra are an ally but I can't see it myself without something else going down that forced the SGC and SG1 to *have* to leave him such as the Tok'ra making a fuss and suggesting that they weren't trusted. I personally hold to Jack, in regaining consciousness briefly with the initial implantation, also telling them to go and that it's OK - because while Sam might begrudingly follow an order to head back to Earth, I can't see Teal'c doing it without Jack's explicit agreement.

However, it does seem as Petra pointed out that Sam is staying in touch with the Tok'ra closely and monitoring progress from afar. Moreover, I love the scene where she wakes up and takes the phone call, very rapidly as though she's not really fully asleep and is waiting for a call in the middle of the night perhaps to tell her that the Tok'ra are bringing Jack home.

I like Petra's point too that Sam works out quite quickly that Jonas is trying to act dumb and that she doesn't fall for it - which does kind of allude to her having the same knowledge of Jack. She knows he plays dumb occasionally and she's aware of how smart he is really.

Other than that, I would also say that Jonas questions Sam about how Colonel O'Neill feels about him as though he accepts that she would know the Colonel's thoughts - that Sam would either be the Colonel's confidante or would know him so well to just know - which isn't shippy per se but I think indicates how their new team-mate sees their connection and bond.
    sigpic
    Women of the Gate LJ Community.
    My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
      Spoiler:
      YES!!! Thank you! *hugs fiercely* May I proclaim that I love you?

Darn it, I should have asked the moment I realised I'd need it instead of spending hours trying to find it on my own

Yes, although my husband may object or ask to watch

Good luck with the thesis!

“Nightwalkers” and “Resurrection” are the most X-Files-ish episodes Stargate has ever done, and so are often compared, usually in favour of the latter. My personal sentiments are exactly opposite though. I really like Nightwalkers while Resurrection is one of my least favourite episodes of the first 8 seasons (because of lack of the Stargate feel and teaminess and abundance of clichés and bad acting, something even AT’s quite good direction couldn’t change) Why do I write about it? Because contrary to popular opinion I don’t think liking or not liking these 2 episodes has anything to do with the homage paid to Mulder & Scully’s adventures and I feel that everything Resurrection lacks Nightwalkers has in spades.
      Oh I completely agree with this. There's even more similarity bewteen them in that, in both episodes, Jack is not present. I loved AT's direction of Ressurection but I disliked the episode in general and felt it tried a little too hard to be serious. Nightwalkers on the other hand, was a little more charming because it had a bit of humour.

I love how Teal’c has a ball showing off his superior knowledge of the Tau’ri (“You have much to learn about humans”), mentoring and protecting younger alien, being all cool and smug and how at ease he is while working with Sam. These two don’t even need words anymore.
      I always thought that was a bit of a Yoda-ish thing to say, which also fits in with his supposed love of Sci fi.

On a shallow note, I can’t help but gush how awesome and sexy everybody looks here. Those long coats, gloves, shades and leather should make an appearance more often. Guys look hot and Sam/AT is simply gorgeous, as can be seen on our cool banner. Nightwalkers features my favourite civilian attires of Sam ever.
      Be shallow, my friend. Be very, very shallow for, lo, the masses shalt nod and agree vehemently.
      She's got a very X Files look going on here too. The shirt with the collar worn outside the jacket was a Scully trademark. Most of Sam's civvie clothes were pretty awful, now I think of it; (I absolutely hate that twin set she's wearing in Threads even though I realise it was hiding the start of AT's baby bump... y'know, a sloppy sweater would have worked. ) but I think she... well, they ALL look quite delectable here. And face it, Jack does spend most of Season 6 setting fire to the celluloid (yes I know it's not really on film any more) with his overwhelming hotness so it's nice of him to step aside and let the rest of the team look gorgeous!

S/J implications

If someone wears extra super-strength shippy glasses they can see some shippiness in the fact that Sam catches on so quickly to the fact that Jonas only pretended not to know who Conrad was – after all she had 5 years of experience with Jack doing exactly the same.

I'll take those super-stength ship specs ta. Nice connection.

Fab review, thanks.

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
      On first watching, I remember thinking I found it weird that Jack didn't appear at all.
      I know it's a bit odd isn't it. Then I believe RDA was having knee surgery so the whole arc was kind of written around that. I know in Abyss he the commentary (I think) mentions that he was recovering from it. And, as you say, in hindsight it does make a whole lot more sense to the flow of the season.

However, it is one of those episodes that stretches the believability to the maximum (a whole town is under the influence of the Goa'uld and they all just blithely accept the injection as a virus outbreak/innoculation??). I also think the whole issue of Sam being Goa'ulded even briefly is swept under the carpet just far too rapidly and speaking of Sam...

Yes, the do that quite a bit. In Sight Unseen there's a similar thing and, when you think of all that happened before - the near misses, that asteroid from Fail Safe the missing Russian Sub etc, the light show from the gate exploding in Redemption II. There's an awful lot of stuff they get away with doing and people just accepting.

Sam and Jack

So, my first issue with Nightwalkers is why the SGC and SG1 simply allow Jack to be left in the Tok'ra's custody; effectively leaving him behind. Yes, the Tok'ra are an ally but I can't see it myself without something else going down that forced the SGC and SG1 to *have* to leave him such as the Tok'ra making a fuss and suggesting that they weren't trusted. I personally hold to Jack, in regaining consciousness briefly with the initial implantation, also telling them to go and that it's OK - because while Sam might begrudingly follow an order to head back to Earth, I can't see Teal'c doing it without Jack's explicit agreement.
      An interesting point. I'd never considered this (well, until I read your Aftershock tag on it) and you may have a point. But then, also I can imagine if Jacob was around that they'd be a lot happier leaving him in his care and it's entirely possible there were pressing reasons they needed to come back.

However, it does seem as Petra pointed out that Sam is staying in touch with the Tok'ra closely and monitoring progress from afar. Moreover, I love the scene where she wakes up and takes the phone call, very rapidly as though she's not really fully asleep and is waiting for a call in the middle of the night perhaps to tell her that the Tok'ra are bringing Jack home.

Nice catch. We are The Shippers! We see ship everywhere!
      sigpic

Comment

Frozen

This episode holds a special place in my heart as the first Stargate ep. I can remember watching. I had seen the movie, but I didn't get cable, and never went through the whole series until just a couple of years ago.

OT me and sci fi:
        Spoiler:

Growing up in a sci fi loving family, where Dr. Who and Star Trek was a staple you'd think I'd be a fan of the genre. But as an adult I decided to distance myself from it because I'm so different from my family in every other way, and I like being unique. Then a couple of years ago, I guess feeling a little homesick (because I live on the other side of the country), I gave sci fi another look and found that I really liked it. Then I found Stargate and fell in love (especially with Jack and Sam). It's great because my family, especially my mom, loves Stargate too (although she really doesn't get the concept of shipping) and it has been something that we can all share and I do feel closer to them.

OK end of sappy.

This is a great episode for someone who doesn't know anything about the show because it has a nice little sci fi premise that is largely self contained (you don't have to know the history to follow most of it, except the Tok'ra stuff at the end, which I didn't get), really great acting (Corin and Teryl just hit it out of the park), and a compelling story (I really felt for the characters, and I think I even believed Jack died at the end). It made me want to watch other episodes when I ran into them.

This is really a great showcase for Jonas, and I find him so endearing. The more I rewatch his episodes and get to know his character, the more I like him and wish we could have seen more from him. (And I really liked his, albeit brief, interactions with Dr. Michaels; personally, I saw a spark. She would have been a nice character to keep around.)

OK, now I'm putting on my super strength shippy glasses (the world is rosey):

When Teal'c suggests Ayiana might be deliberately hiding something and Jonas asks why she would do that. Sam responds immediately with, "Fear." The others look at her with some surprise. In my super shippy world, I think Sam understands deliberately hiding the truth out of fear: fear of rejection, fear of loss, fear of change. After all, Sam is hiding her true feelings for Jack largely out of fear.

After Michaels collapses and Janet comes in to report her condition, Sam and Jack are sitting together as if in conversation. There are a couple of little looks when Janet is talking about Ayiana carrying a contagion. I like the friendly intimacy of their pose when Janet comes in. They are off together in a comfortable corner. Not close spacially, but turned toward one another.

When they come back to the SGC, Sam is at the observation window of Jack's room. Hammond comes to her to discuss the situation, and it's clear she has stayed right there the whole time. And while I'm sure Sam isn't without concern for Ayiana, she knows Jack's hopes lie with the Ancient's healing powers and you can see her distress when Janet says its unlikely Ayiana can recover.

There are several things that I find interesting about the scene with the Tok'ra. First, Sam knows the stakes but she is also very aware of how Jack feels and despite her desire for him to live she still takes his part and won't let them make a decision without asking. I find it interesting that really Jack and Sam are given the last say in medical matters when the other can't speak for himself or herself. In Entity, although Sam left a living will, Janet went to Jack about turning off the machines. When he said give it a minute, Janet complied. When Hammond said we may have to decide if Jack takes a symbiote, Sam said we ask and everyone complied. Those are the actions of a spouse or next of kin.

And of course in this case, Sam is the one to ask. And I don't know about everyone else, but when she pleads with him, I didn't really see him nod in agreement. I'm not saying he didn't agree. I'm just saying that the understanding between them seems intuitive, and everyone accepts Sam's interpretation of Jack's acquiescence.

I think Sam believes Jack agreed out of duty - the symbiote had important intelligence. I think Jack agreed because it was Sam, and he didn't want to leave her.

Nightwalkers

This one is definitely not a favorite of mine. I was never a fan of the X-files, but I agree it was much better than Resurrection.

*taken from GW; sorry guys, I hate writing summaries*
        I suggest we have Cags do all the summaries. They are hilarious.

Finally, Sam shines here. She has a chance to show her military side as SG-1 temporary CO, her scientific side while figuring out the mystery, her diplomatic skills when she convinces sheriff to help her and her snark and sense of humour (“We have another tradition. It’s called hardened arteries”), all the while allowing Teal’c and Jonas to get some spotlight too.
        Couldn’t agree more. One of the few things I like about this episode is how it really plays up Sam’s abilities as a leader. And I love the scene when they discover someone’s following them and Sam uses Teal’c as the muscle like any good mob boss. Hehe.

On a shallow note, I can’t help but gush how awesome and sexy everybody looks here.
        Oh yes, please be shallow. They all look fabulous. And Jack would be so disappointed to have missed seeing Carter in black leather pants. (And I am disappointed that we don’t get to see Jack in leather. )

As far as S/J ship goes I have to say I am very impressed with both Petra and Rachel finding so much. Looks like I’m going to have to get additional layers for my heavy shippy glasses. I did notice some frustration on Sam’s face when she tells Jonas the Tok’ra are still looking for another host; like she’d maybe gone the rounds with them on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
          Frozen

And of course in this case, Sam is the one to ask. And I don't know about everyone else, but when she pleads with him, I didn't really see him nod in agreement. I'm not saying he didn't agree. I'm just saying that the understanding between them seems intuitive, and everyone accepts Sam's interpretation of Jack's acquiescence.

I think Sam believes Jack agreed out of duty - the symbiote had important intelligence. I think Jack agreed because it was Sam, and he didn't want to leave her.
          There's not much for me to add to what others have said. However, I'm one that did see Jack nod ever so slightly when Sam said "Sir, please". There was a slight pause after she spoke (as though he was thinking about it), and then his head dipped a tiny bit. It's barely there, but it is there. It's very easy to miss unless one is paying close attention. (And I'm one of those people that frequently misses those tiny, subtle little things that other people catch ... and I saw it.) I don't really think Sam would have indicated his agreement had she not seen him do that.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            There's not much for me to add to what others have said. However, I'm one that did see Jack nod ever so slightly when Sam said "Sir, please". There was a slight pause after she spoke (as though he was thinking about it), and then his head dipped a tiny bit. It's barely there, but it is there. It's very easy to miss unless one is paying close attention. (And I'm one of those people that frequently misses those tiny, subtle little things that other people catch ... and I saw it.) I don't really think Sam would have indicated his agreement had she not seen him do that.
            I've just finished watching this episode and I also saw the slight nod. Of course, I was watching closely for it, whereas a casual viewer may miss it. What I also noticed, as was mentioned earlier, was the very strong musical cue of the 'Sam and Jack' theme playing as Sam says, "Please, Sir."
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
              I've just finished watching this episode and I also saw the slight nod. Of course, I was watching closely for it, whereas a casual viewer may miss it. What I also noticed, as was mentioned earlier, was the very strong musical cue of the 'Sam and Jack' theme playing as Sam says, "Please, Sir."
              Yep. I forgot to mention the musical cue ... and I just watched the episode again the other day.

Comment

I am absolutely not suggesting that Sam didn't see the nod. She would never lie about that. I'm just saying she is really in sync with Jack because she didn't even have a music cue to clue her in.

Comment

I am absolutely not suggesting that Sam didn't see the nod. She would never lie about that. I'm just saying she is really in sync with Jack because she didn't even have a music cue to clue her in.
                  Hehehe

It's a pity they can't hear their own theme, because they would have gotten together years ago if they did.
                  sigpic

Comment

Oops! Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that she didn't see it or that she would lie about it. I was just saying that I did see it myself.

Comment

Hmm, interesting on the nod/ not nod thing because I watched this with commentary on as well and in that it it mentions that RDA said he didn't want to do the overly dramatic deathbed thing and deliberately played it down key like this. I do think it translates beautifully. he does nod but the nod is so subtle it's definietly for Sam's eyes only; maybe Janet might have seen it if she were standing close enough and at the right angle but nobody else.
                      Personally I do see a slight nod but then I have watched and rewatched and slo motioned and zoomed in on that scene (no, I'm not a fanatic... ok well yes I am but that's not why... ) Because I clipped this scene for one of my videos.

That's an interesting comparison about the medical life/death decision making falling on each other, and very true.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
                        Of course, now, several years and rewatches later, the whole arc is better understood when watching Nightwalkers and there is the knowledge that both Daniel and Jack actually feature heavily in the next episode, Abyss. But back then, with all respect to Teal'c/Judge, Sam/Amanda and Jonas/Corin, I think that it coloured mine (and a lot of people's) initial reaction to the episode that the two original characters from the Stargate-verse were in effect MIA and that the episode seemed jarring in the flow of the story from Frozen given its homage to the X-Files and the underlying note of being played for laughs.
                        I never thought about it this way. "Abyss" was the first season 6 episode I watched so I never made the connection between Nightwalkers' lukewarm reception and RDA/MS both being MIA. Interesting.

I still think that it's a much better episode than people give it credit for.

re: bolded, I can't agree that it's played for laughs. It has a lot of humorous scenes and one-liners but I never considered it to be a comedy episode.

However, it is one of those episodes that stretches the believability to the maximum (a whole town is under the influence of the Goa'uld and they all just blithely accept the injection as a virus outbreak/innoculation??).
                        Strangely, lack of believability of occuring events never bothered me on SG-1. And really, given that in SGU SG program still isn't public I don't think it's fair to complain about no one catching on in season 6.

I also think the whole issue of Sam being Goa'ulded even briefly is swept under the carpet just far too rapidly
                        I completely agree. As much as I love SG-1 and season 6 in particular, lack of any long-lasting consequences of Sam being goa'ulded - again, and Jack becoming a Tok'ra only to be betrayed by his symbiote and becoming a plaything of the galaxy's biggest sadist really pisses me off. I remember season 6 being advertised as "changing
                        O'Neill forever" and then...nothing happened. Sam should have had some trauma after the events of Nightwalkers but again, nothing happened.

See, I always just assumed that's how it went down and never needed to see it onscreen.

Other than that, I would also say that Jonas questions Sam about how Colonel O'Neill feels about him as though he accepts that she would know the Colonel's thoughts - that Sam would either be the Colonel's confidante or would know him so well to just know - which isn't shippy per se but I think indicates how their new team-mate sees their connection and bond.
                        I haven't thought of that, good catch! And yes, Jonas would so totally think that!

Originally posted by Cagranosalis
                        Yes, although my husband may object or ask to watch

Good luck with the thesis!
                        I can't say "thank you" becaise it brings bad luck, but..your wishes are duly noted and appreciated.

Most of Sam's civvie clothes were pretty awful, now I think of it; (I absolutely hate that twin set she's wearing in Threads even though I realise it was hiding the start of AT's baby bump... y'know, a sloppy sweater would have worked. ) but I think she... well, they ALL look quite delectable here.
                        Oi. Don't start me on Sam's clothes in Threads. That skirt gives me nightmares. On a more humorous note I've seen the argument that S/J ship is bad b/c it has catastrophic influence on Sam's wardrobe (of course the fact that Sam wore it earlier for her "I bought you a house" date with Pete is conveniently forgotten )

In Nightwalkers though she looks fantastic. It's worth repeating. Ditto on the guys. It's worth repeating. And hlndncr, I'm so with you on Jack in leather (pants)

Nice catch. We are The Shippers! We see ship everywhere!
                        We do! And it's something to be proud of!

Originally posted by hlndncr
                        I suggest we have Cags do all the summaries. They are hilarious.
                        GREAT IDEA. I'm totally sold on it. Cags?

This is really a great showcase for Jonas, and I find him so endearing. The more I rewatch his episodes and get to know his character, the more I like him and wish we could have seen more from him. (And I really liked his, albeit brief, interactions with Dr. Michaels; personally, I saw a spark. She would have been a nice character to keep around.)
                        I know that a lot of people complain that the part was written for Daniel and TPTB just had a different actor play it but honestly, I don't see it. Would Daniel try to communicate with Ayana, be kind and compassionate? Sure! Is he the only character allowed to do it? No! I too love how Jonas handled himself and love how Corin played him.

Oh, and on the whole nod issue: I saw him nod!
                        There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                        sigpic
                        awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

OK, now I feel like a bad shipper because I'm the only one who can't see the nod. But I've watched it over and over again, very carefully, in slo mo. *sighs* I guess I'm not that connected to Jack, and I'll just have to trust Sam like everyone else.

Comment

I completely agree. As much as I love SG-1 and season 6 in particular, lack of any long-lasting consequences of Sam being goa'ulded - again, and Jack becoming a Tok'ra only to be betrayed by his symbiote and becoming a plaything of the galaxy's biggest sadist really pisses me off. I remember season 6 being advertised as "changing
                            O'Neill forever" and then...nothing happened. Sam should have had some trauma after the events of Nightwalkers but again, nothing happened.

They made quite a lot of promises and teases like that to tempt us with. I remember when the promo for S7 first came out and there was the Grace kiss and then that bit in Lost City at Jack's in civvies and it's cut so the scene shown is appears just him and Sam with General Hammond and Jack's saying We've been in this situation before. I wasn't a big forum lurker back then but I can imagine that kind of teaser would have driven shippers bonkers with excitement. I sat up half the night downloading that thirty second promo on my infinitesimally slow dial up because I was so excited that they were actually going there. I should have known really.

Oi. Don't start me on Sam's clothes in Threads. That skirt gives me nightmares. On a more humorous note I've seen the argument that S/J ship is bad b/c it has catastrophic influence on Sam's wardrobe (of course the fact that Sam wore it earlier for her "I bought you a house" date with Pete is conveniently forgotten )

That's possibly the most sublime argument I've ever heard of.

GREAT IDEA. I'm totally sold on it. Cags?
                            But but... *pouts* if I do that I won't have time for all this lovely shippy fic I'm trying to write.

I know that a lot of people complain that the part was written for Daniel and TPTB just had a different actor play it but honestly, I don't see it. Would Daniel try to communicate with Ayana, be kind and compassionate? Sure! Is he the only character allowed to do it? No! I too love how Jonas handled himself and love how Corin played him.
                            While I agree that the part would have fitted Daniel quite well (and I guess we can naturally assume the writers are going to take a little while to work out a new character) I do think the role Jonas served here was perfectly right for him and something none of the others - except possibly Janet (who had her own things to deal with) - could have done without it feeling unnatural. I really wish we'd had more Jonas; he was a great character right from the off and had such potential.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                              But but... *pouts* if I do that I won't have time for all this lovely shippy fic I'm trying to write.
                              Oh, by all means, write the lovely shippy fic, please!

But I do love your summaries. They make me giggle (and Jack can't order me not to).

Comment

Banner by luvnjack

I almost cannot say enough about how awesome this episode is. For sheer quality I think it’s one of the finest single episodes of television of any show, ever - the writing, acting, direction, look and feel are just incredible, and huge amounts of credit have to go to everyone involved, particularly RDA for arguably his best performance ever, and Martin Wood for compelling, claustrophobic direction. It’s also one of Stargate’s darkest hours - really, the concept is just horrific, and it’s testament to what an amazing job everyone did with it that it genuinely moves me to tears each and every time I watch it. The first time I saw it, I sat absolutely riveted, with my jaw to the floor most of the way through, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times that has happened to me.

There is just so much to praise here - the structure, which (much like in Window of Opportunity) creates a real feeling of being trapped; the visual style and effects, with all the cool changes of gravity and the angles that that allows Martin to play with; Cliff Simon as Ba’al, who is never again as chilling as he is here; RDA, as I mentioned before, managing to convey deep vulnerability and gut-wrenching pain and despair through the ever-increasing cracks in his wise-cracking facade; the Jack-Daniel banter, which lightens the episode even as it explores the very real possibility of Jack dying and worse; and wrapping round all the edges, the awesome teaminess of Sam, Teal’c, Jonas and Hammond back at the SGC, who just rock with their absolute determination to find Jack and bring him home.

Essentially though, this episode is an exploration of Jack’s character and psyche. I mentioned briefly in the discussion about Frozen that Jack’s story is full of moments where he has to choose between living and dying - obviously, this goes right back to the beginning of his Stargate story and the events of the first Abydos mission, and of course he is only in this position because he made yet another choice to live when Sam pleaded with him to take the Tok’ra symbiote. Here though there is a twist on the options available to him - Daniel comes to him offering ascension, and spends a good part of the episode trying to convince Jack that life isn’t really an option any more; that his only way out other than dying is to follow Daniel to a higher plane of existence. I have to say I always feel slightly uncomfortable with Daniel’s attitude here - it’s almost cult-like, trying to ‘convert’ Jack - but I think it’s an important way of showing how the Daniel of season 6 is not the Daniel we knew and loved before. He’s speaking from his ascended position, and his perspective has altered. I think Daniel’s pushing of the benefits of ascension actually is a clever way of alienating him in the view of the audience, who would naturally be inclined to fall into their familiar way of looking at him. This time, you're not rooting for Daniel. Jack’s having none of it though, and his resistance to the idea of ascending is entirely in character - for Jack, the idea of being aware but essentially helpless, not able to do anything to protect the people he cares about, is abhorrent; he’d choose dying over that. Jack tells Daniel that explicitly, but it’s the exchange immediately after that that I think is really telling:

Daniel: You’re a better man than that.
                                Jack: That’s where you’re wrong!
                                I think those two lines reveal an awful lot about both men’s characters. Daniel, because he genuinely believes that it is somehow better to follow the Ancients’ rules and see the bigger picture, work for the greater good, even if that means someone he cares about dies; and Jack because he doesn’t argue with Daniel’s idea of what makes a better man, just argues that he isn’t one. Jack has a very strong moral sense about protecting people and sacrificing himself, if need be, but instead, here, he argues that he is not a better man, and thus reveals his real insecurity - Jack doesn’t believe he is good. He believes he is right, a lot of the time, and he believes in doing the right thing and the good thing, but he still believes he is not a good man deep down underneath it all, as if all the penance and good deeds in the galaxy isn’t enough to wash away some of the distasteful things he has done in the past.

In the end of course, Jack’s other choice does come back, and there’s such a flash of hope and excitement when Daniel tells him that Sam and Teal’c and Jonas figured out how to give him a chance. He begged Daniel to end it for him, but only when he thought there was no chance of getting out of there - on the one hand, he gave up and chose death over ascension, but then again also by hanging in there and refusing to take the way out that Daniel was offering him, he gave the others the longest time he could for them to rescue him. And I think this is why at the end Daniel is so certain that Jack is going to be OK - because Jack wants to live.

The other aspect of Jack that is explored in this episode is his capacity for and attitude to love, and this is what has significance from a shippy point of view. It is of course explicitly stated that it is Jack’s moral code that lands in in the situation in the first place - as Jonas and Sam state when they figure it out:

Jonas: The decision to act came after blending with the mind of Colonel O’Neill.
                                Sam: At which point he would have been confronted with every thought and belief that makes the Colonel who he is and be forced to judge himself by that same code of honour.
                                In particular, of course, this refers to Jack’s most dearly-held point of honour - to leave no man behind. But it’s not just a case of Kanan feeling guilty about abandoning a team-mate - crucially for the ship perspective, he abandoned a woman he loved and that loved him back. As Jonas put it, “[he] had to be motivated by something profound enough to not only risk his life but also the life of his host.” Essentially, Kanan chose the possibility of death over leaving Shayla (and BTW, totally no coincidence that she bears quite a striking resemblance to Sam, IMO ), which to me is a big hint about what particular bit of Jack’s mind influenced Kanan’s actions here, as Jack too once chose to face death rather than leave the woman he loved behind. It actually occurred to me on this rewatch that Abyss has quite a few similarities to Divide & Conquer in terms of the structure of having to figure out the emotional motivations behind actions that are distilled into emotionless mission reports, and also the threat of having to reveal those emotions - when Jack admits to Daniel that before long he will “give Ba’al what he wants. [He]’ll tell her, that he loved her. He came back for her. He wanted to save her.” Seems rather close to Jack’s own experience to me, and I can’t help but think that Jack is remembering that very moment himself in the way RDA delivers those lines. And for Sam’s part, I think she is reminded to - her absolute certainty when telling Hammond always makes me think of that too.

If I have one criticism about this episode, it’s that, as someone said a little while ago, there’s just not enough fallout from it, really. Jack goes through this unbelievable trauma, and then next episode it’s back to usual. I know that that is characteristic of SG1 in general, but somehow it feels more conspicuous with an episode like this one. All we do get is Jack dialling the sarcasm up to eleven every time he encounters Ba’al again, right up to Continuum, to show how this Goa’uld gets to him in a way no other quite does. I do love the end scene though - from the very start with Jack regaining consciousness against a bright light, mimicking the sarcophagus (and I’m sure totally fooling everyone on first watching - it certainly did me, and I was absolutely gutted for an instant that his escape attempt had failed and it wasn’t over after all), to the way his team are there with him, Daniel’s words of reassurance, and Sam’s moment right at the end when bringing him the water - so caring and tender, almost, and for an episode which is all about Jack’s potential for life and love, it is an entirely fitting ending.
                                sigpic
                                Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Working...
                                X