Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurray for new tutorials and new artwork!!!!
    Visit my Website

Comment

actually tom IS right.

however, as a central cargo hub shooting cargo pods back and forth...

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
        Hurray for new tutorials and new artwork!!!!
        Cool. Two Nemesi.

Comment

Nice stuff guys. Makes me sorry I haven't had time to model lately.
          sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

I've joined Boberths latest miodelling challange. this one is to design a Bomber.

This is what i'm working on for the thread, It's still very much a WIP right now.

Spoiler:
            Length- 153 feet long Minus hyperspace spire on nose
            Width- 56 feet wide
            Height- 22 feet tall
            Crew- 7, 1 Comander plus 2 shifts of 1 pilot, 1 comms officer and 1 bomb technician
            Ship defence Weapons-
            Two MK III railguns (So far)
            4/8 short range Naquadah enhanced ship-ship missiles (Not decided yet just how many)
            NO Asgard beams
            Bomb payload-
            Hyper drive-Tau'ri built Asgard-enhanced hyperdirve generators located in each drive pod.
            Sub-light engines-Tau'ri built Asgard core-enhanced Ion propulsion generators located one in each drive pod.

WIP Pics...
            Spoiler:

Out of curiosity, anyone know how big the Horizon system was?

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Alright so I joined the modelling challenge to design a bomber. I wanted to pursue a battleship look, hence the naval artillery. The ship will also have the railguns found on the Daedalus.

Basically it would orbit whatever its target was and pummel it with both the traditional naval guns and the railguns, which would be able to instantaneously engage targets, which would be handy for emplacements or moving targets.

It would obviously be shielded, probably with a shield similar to that of the Prometheus. The ship would be about 250m long.

Between the front two guns and the rear one, there will be a superstructure styled after traditional battleships/carriers. It won't have the funnels or the large communications tower though, simply the bridge and adjoining buildings. Since it's only a bomber with a small crew there isn't much need for a bunch of structures.

I'm not happy with the wings, but I have been up way too late tonight working on this and I have to work in 5 hours, so I think that I should go to sleep haha.

Anyways, here's a quick render.

Spoiler:

Comment

the awesomeness of that render cannot be captured in words

Comment

Can someone help me, I'm wanting to try out lightwave modelling but I can't find any tutorials.

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post
                    Can someone help me, I'm wanting to try out lightwave modelling but I can't find any tutorials.
                    What do you need to know? Tutorials for Lightwave are hard to come by. There are plenty for complicated things like creating planets and such, but not a lot for the very basics.

The best way to learn is to just mess with it as you go. If you need any specific help, feel free to send me a PM and I'll help you out. I still have a lot to learn myself, but I've got the basics covered.

I don't mind helping you out.

Comment

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post
                      Click me for Lightwave tutorials
                      Visit my Website

Comment

Update on my ship.

Don't worry, I'll be toning down the Battleship look by throwing on some engines which should break up the hull a little bit.

The superstructure isn't done yet either. I just need to decide what to throw in the centre, since smokestacks would look quite retarded on a spaceship lol.

Spoiler:

Don't let the size of the turrets in comparison to the superstructure fool you into thinking that this ship must be huge. I've looked at many schematics and this is scaled to ships that were roughly 150 metres long.

There will be smaller secondary batteries along both sides, and some railguns tacked along too. Not to mention missile tubes both topside and bomb bays on the underside.
                        Last edited by Finger13; 06 December 2008, 04:23 PM.

Comment

There are so many things wrong with a spaceship looking like that....

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                            There are so many things wrong with a spaceship looking like that....
                            lol.

You critic you.

I don't know if this will be the design that I enter into the modelling challenge, but I like it so there lol.

If the other ships in the Stargate Universe can fly in an atmosphere, so can this.

And if someone can call a pyramid a spaceship capable of atmospheric flight, I can call a battleship one too haha.

And so you know, this is intended to attack unshielded targets. That's why it has naval artillery. It's meant to orbit a target and lay into it with conventional weaponry and railguns. It's not like it'll be rushing up to the Ori and trying to destroy their ships with conventional weapons.

Comment

Maybe part of the design was the retrofitting of the current sea based navies with alien technology allowing them to be deployed in space. Think about it. The Promethius was just a hull until they added all the alien parts. Add a shield Generator, inertial dampening system and replace the propellor with a chemical engine and you have a space ship. Once the shield system is installed all the rest can be done in space. You can beam the convention ships in to space, using the shield as an atmospheric shell and then retrofit all the other parts. Just litterally scrap our conventional navy and convert them in to a space fleet, the human part of our deadalus classes are the hull. If we used conventional ships and planes and subs as the hull and tack on the advanced technology a rather large fleet could be created with very very low cost. It wouldnt be perfect but equipped with rail guns, asgard shields and a couple of beam weapons it would make a reasonable defensive or support ship.
                              sigpic
                              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                              Stargate : Genesis |
                              Original Starship DesignThread
                              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                              11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
                                lol.

You critic you.

I don't know if this will be the design that I enter into the modelling challenge, but I like it so there lol.

If the other ships in the Stargate Universe can fly in an atmosphere, so can this.

And if someone can call a pyramid a spaceship capable of atmospheric flight, I can call a battleship one too haha.

And so you know, this is intended to attack unshielded targets. That's why it has naval artillery. It's meant to orbit a target and lay into it with conventional weaponry and railguns. It's not like it'll be rushing up to the Ori and trying to destroy their ships with conventional weapons.
                                It's not about atmo. It's about vaccum. http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/index.html

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                                Maybe part of the design was the retrofitting of the current sea based navies with alien technology allowing them to be deployed in space. Think about it. The Promethius was just a hull until they added all the alien parts. Add a shield Generator, inertial dampening system and replace the propellor with a chemical engine and you have a space ship. Once the shield system is installed all the rest can be done in space. You can beam the convention ships in to space, using the shield as an atmospheric shell and then retrofit all the other parts. Just litterally scrap our conventional navy and convert them in to a space fleet, the human part of our deadalus classes are the hull. If we used conventional ships and planes and subs as the hull and tack on the advanced technology a rather large fleet could be created with very very low cost. It wouldnt be perfect but equipped with rail guns, asgard shields and a couple of beam weapons it would make a reasonable defensive or support ship.
                                I will atempt to pretend you did't just propose we turn a bunch of leaky tin cans into intergalactic space ships. For one, the refits would have to be so extensive it would be cheaper to build a whole new space ship.

Comment

Working...
                                X