This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
    I like that space station, but one suggestion. If those are docking bays in centre of the station, that doesn't make a lot of sense does it? It doesn't really look like there would be enough room to manoeuvrer. I think it'd make more sense to put them on the outside of the station.

Cool design though.
    No, there is going to be a larger center section there
    sigpic
    ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
      No, there is going to be a larger center section there
      Ahh okay, cool than.

Comment

Yeah and here is an update

sigpic
        ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Maybe it could be along the lines of a communications terminal, but obviously advanced, maybe the hub of a multigalactic subspace communication system, in the void or something. It looks very satalitish to me.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

I don't think is goign to be stargate, It's original, for the real world.
            sigpic
            ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Yeah and here is an update

it is good man

Comment

Martian space station? Connecting Earth and a colonised Mars's repsective space station projects.
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                  Martian space station? Connecting Earth and a colonised Mars's repsective space station projects.
                  Well, I was thinking that it would be a midpoint in the vast space between Earth and Mars when we start to colonate it.
                  sigpic
                  ----DeviantArt----

Comment

that would work, maybe it would be a future station for the colonisation/exploration of our solar system, like a dock for exploration missions etc and for resupply.
                    sigpic
                    11000! green me

Comment

Well, I was thinking that it would be a midpoint in the vast space between Earth and Mars when we start to colonate it.
                      Won't work. The best way to get from point a to point b in space is to getgping and not stop untill you get there.

As a space station, it seems limited. No rotating artificial gravity ring, not particularly modular- those sections would be hell to lift into orbit.

When you really look at it, manned orbital stuff isn't that usefull, robotics could probably do it better. You only need people for interplanetary stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                        Won't work. The best way to get from point a to point b in space is to getgping and not stop untill you get there.

As a space station, it seems limited. No rotating artificial gravity ring, not particularly modular- those sections would be hell to lift into orbit.

When you really look at it, manned orbital stuff isn't that usefull, robotics could probably do it better. You only need people for interplanetary stuff.
                        Its more of a mental thing for astronauts. If their Ion-Purlpulsion engines take them 2 years to reach mars there might a need for a half-way point. 2 years? of more like 4 years there and back.
                        I'm not going to pursue this with you any longer Tom
                        sigpic
                        ----DeviantArt----

Comment

sigpic
                          ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Its more of a mental thing for astronauts. If their Ion-Purlpulsion engines take them 2 years to reach mars there might a need for a half-way point. 2 years? of more like 4 years there and back.
                            I'm not going to pursue this with you any longer Tom
                            Which is why oon engines won't be used.

Deacelerating to a stop halfway, then building up all that speed up again takes longer than doing it in one go.

And I'm just saying, plase, take no offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                              Which is why oon engines won't be used.

Deacelerating to a stop halfway, then building up all that speed up again takes longer than doing it in one go.

And I'm just saying, plase, take no offense.

I say ion because they are actually going to be the next step in rocketry today
                              sigpic
                              ----DeviantArt----

Comment

I say ion because they are actually going to be the next step in rocketry today
                                Unamned, long duration roketry.

VASIMR seems to be the star competitor for the manned slot.

Comment

Working...
                                X