• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crud.

What for?
    sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

todds BC for one. rjb probably got run over by a car and died. cause i havent seen him in ages, like every one else

Comment

Todd's BC for the one he thought looked like an O'Neill? Awesome; works for me.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          todds BC for one. rjb probably got run over by a car and died. cause i havent seen him in ages, like every one else
          On DeviantArt he just submitted a new original ship design, I think that he is not doing any stargate models ATM.
          sigpic
          ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
            Todd's BC for the one he thought looked like an O'Neill? Awesome; works for me.
            I'm pretty sure that they were referring to the first version of this latest model that I posted. I got screwing around with the head ache that is Linux and deleted my Vista partition and thus my original model. So I started redoing it.

The O'Neill one is meh lol, I like this design a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
              I'm pretty sure that they were referring to the first version of this latest model that I posted. I got screwing around with the head ache that is Linux and deleted my Vista partition and thus my original model. So I started redoing it.

The O'Neill one is meh lol, I like this design a lot better.
              So do I, especially because it you had addeed the glowing bits
              sigpic
              ----DeviantArt----

Comment

I thought the one you said looked like an O'Neill (even though I didn't see the similarity...) looked good.
                sigpic

Comment

Just an update. I figured out shadowing and radiosity, so that makes it look much nicer in the light. Also takes 30 minutes to render, I can only imagine how many hours it will take when complete lol. I need a quad core.

Spoiler:

This is only with the anti-aliasing on Enhanced Low. Usually I would do it on Enhanced High or Extreme, but the render times with radiosity enabled are ridiculous.

I'm still adding details to the top, at which point I will finish up on the middle then start on the bottom. I figure I might as well finish the front before adding the other parts of the ship, just to save rendering times and clutter.

I'm still not crazy about this being Wraith though guys. Nor about it being a couple of kilometres long. The size of the details to the hull and such that I'm adding do not scale correctly with a ship of that magnitude. And I don't see the point in a ship that long. The length of the ship has nothing to do with its capabilities. I want this ship to be shielded, and providing a shield to encompass something the size of Atlantis would take ridiculous amounts of power and would be impractical.

The smaller the ship, while retaining shields and the same weaponry means a much deadlier force. The intended length of 500, or maybe even 700 metres is by no means small, that'd make it either half a kilometre long, or almost half of a mile. That's a long distance.

Think of it like shooting targets. Is it harder to hit an oil barrel or a soup can? The same thing applies in space battles. The only reason that Hives are so stupidly large is because they are unshielded and this need the size, or else they would get devastated.
                  Last edited by Finger13; 16 November 2008, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I have no problem with that.

Comment

Just an update. I figured out shadowing and radiosity, so that makes it look much nicer in the light. Also takes 30 minutes to render, I can only imagine how many hours it will take when complete lol. I need a quad core.

Spoiler:

This is only with the anti-aliasing on Enhanced Low. Usually I would do it on Enhanced High or Extreme, but the render times with radiosity enabled are ridiculous.

I'm still adding details to the top, at which point I will finish up on the middle then start on the bottom. I figure I might as well finish the front before adding the other parts of the ship, just to save rendering times and clutter.

I'm still not crazy about this being Wraith though guys. Nor about it being a couple of kilometres long. The size of the details to the hull and such that I'm adding do not scale correctly with a ship of that magnitude. And I don't see the point in a ship that long. The length of the ship has nothing to do with its capabilities. I want this ship to be shielded, and providing a shield to encompass something the size of Atlantis would take ridiculous amounts of power and would be impractical.

The smaller the ship, while retaining shields and the same weaponry means a much deadlier force. The intended length of 500, or maybe even 700 metres is by no means small, that'd make it either half a kilometre long, or almost half of a mile. That's a long distance.
                      Okay now for using your radiosity feature you need to change the background color, the reason it shows up black is because your background is black and take the light off completely, it just takes more time to get to the menu press [Ctrl F5]
                      sigpic
                      ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                        Okay now for using your radiosity feature you need to change the background color, the reason it shows up black is because your background is black and take the light off completely, it just takes more time to get to the menu press [Ctrl F5]
                        What should I change it to, white? And what are you talking about with the light? You need to have at least one in the scene. Should I make it something other than spotlight?

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                        I have no problem with that.
                        A few of the other guys were pushing for that.
                        Last edited by Finger13; 16 November 2008, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Okay here I used Bobertho's recommendations and this is what I got.

Spoiler:

Shows the details much better.

Thanks for the tip bobertho. And just so you know I looked all through your Deviantart gallery and you are very talented at modelling. Any advice that you can provide when you see a problem or have a suggestion is extremely appreciated.

I really like that picture with the Blue Giant.
                          Last edited by Finger13; 16 November 2008, 09:52 PM.

Comment

is this a wole ship or just the nose?

and we can always adapt

Comment

Okay here I used Bobertho's recommendations and this is what I got.

Spoiler:

Shows the details much better.

Thanks for the tip bobertho. And just so you know I looked all through your Deviantart gallery and you are very talented at modelling. Any advice that you can provide when you see a problem or have a suggestion is extremely appreciated.

I really like that picture with the Blue Giant.
                              Nice! Really nice! Keep adding armor and functional panels to appropriate locations and it'll be good!

I assume that the biggest window is the bridge? If so, try to make the bridge window more complex looking, something like the daedalus bridge window. More edges, and maybe a little less in height, etc.

Comment

like i said, keep it sleek and just add details here and there. the smoothness is really cool, and thats its power. the armor panels and such arent just details, but to make it interesting.

and we could always make it a Primox design, adopted by todd

Comment

Working...
                                X