Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    FH - get packing, young lady! And have fun on your vacation!!

Unfortunately, you are right.

One problem was easy for them to fix. The other... not so much. It's still not working. One step forward, one step back. It's my own fault for jinxing myself.

I was just out to dinner with my older sister and some of her friends. They make me feel like I'm young again. They are so computer illiterate. We went to Applebees and there was a promo to get free tickets to that movie with The Rock that is coming out.. Jungle Cruise or something (I'm not a fan of The Rock - which they all gaped at me for... sorry he's too muscle-y... anyway.....). You had to take a picture of your receipt then go to a website and then email the tickets to the other people and print them out. You'd think they'd been asked to perform brain surgery. Finally I just snapped and was like "I'll just do it for you all!"
    First of all, on the subject of new operating systems. I just had an update to Big Sur, don't ask, on my iMac. Lord have mercy, it's like a whole new learning curve, and the little icons at the top are all much smaller. "You can change that," said Mr. SR. "Get away from me," I replied.

Not all of us oldies are technophobic, but your sister sounds like Mr. SR's sis, who got a new iPhone and has been back to the Apple store I don't know how many times. One of her problems, I solved for her by telling her to reboot, which involved a whole new set of instructions because the buttons work differently on this version.

Mr. SR recently took his computer in to have more memory added and the youngster tried to tell him he didn't need it. Mr. SR persisted and now all his problems are solved. If I had been with him, I would have said "Listen here Skippy, this man was programming computers with a clay stylus on a tablet when your daddy was a twinkle in his daddy's eye, so don't condescend to him." Plus some more stuff.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post

First of all, on the subject of new operating systems. I just had an update to Big Sur, don't ask, on my iMac. Lord have mercy, it's like a whole new learning curve, and the little icons at the top are all much smaller. "You can change that," said Mr. SR. "Get away from me," I replied.

Not all of us oldies are technophobic, but your sister sounds like Mr. SR's sis, who got a new iPhone and has been back to the Apple store I don't know how many times. One of her problems, I solved for her by telling her to reboot, which involved a whole new set of instructions because the buttons work differently on this version.

Mr. SR recently took his computer in to have more memory added and the youngster tried to tell him he didn't need it. Mr. SR persisted and now all his problems are solved. If I had been with him, I would have said "Listen here Skippy, this man was programming computers with a clay stylus on a tablet when your daddy was a twinkle in his daddy's eye, so don't condescend to him." Plus some more stuff.
      Oh I know not everyone my sister's age are technophobic. I have several friends their age who are very tech savvy. But sis and her friends were definitely not. Then I became their "expert" as they asked me if they could do this and do that. I felt like I should be charging them for the dinner.

As for rebooting... while I've been having all my systems problems at work, I must have had 10 different tech people helping me and all of them ask "did you try rebooting". No, I thought if I just stared at it really hard it would get better on its own.

Mr. SR showed great patience to not just tell the kid off. I hate it when people assume you don't know what you're talking about like that. When I was in college, I was buying a computer for my house (this was the early 90s... buying a computer was a big deal back then). Sales people never wanted to help me, probably assuming I wasn't a serious buyer. And then one guy, when I asked him why 2 different systems were different prices, he actually said "because the box is bigger". Needless to say I left that store.

Comment

Oh I know not everyone my sister's age are technophobic. I have several friends their age who are very tech savvy. But sis and her friends were definitely not. Then I became their "expert" as they asked me if they could do this and do that. I felt like I should be charging them for the dinner.

As for rebooting... while I've been having all my systems problems at work, I must have had 10 different tech people helping me and all of them ask "did you try rebooting". No, I thought if I just stared at it really hard it would get better on its own.

Mr. SR showed great patience to not just tell the kid off. I hate it when people assume you don't know what you're talking about like that. When I was in college, I was buying a computer for my house (this was the early 90s... buying a computer was a big deal back then). Sales people never wanted to help me, probably assuming I wasn't a serious buyer. And then one guy, when I asked him why 2 different systems were different prices, he actually said "because the box is bigger". Needless to say I left that store.
        Good grief. The arrogance of youth. Mr. SR is used to it. A few years before he retired the World Bank had a brilliant idea to do yet another reorg and have everybody reapply for their old job. The person Mr. SR had to interview with was not only much younger but had only been there a short while. She asked him a bunch of questions about the job and the software and the systems, etc. which he politely answered. Later his boss told him that when she reported to him on the interview, he took great pleasure in telling her that Mr. SR not only understood the system but HE HAD DESIGNED IT. I don't have that kind of patience.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

Yes, FH, get packing on your vacay and have fun!

Unfortunately, you are right.

One problem was easy for them to fix. The other... not so much. It's still not working. One step forward, one step back. It's my own fault for jinxing myself.
          D'oh!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          Good grief. The arrogance of youth. Mr. SR is used to it. A few years before he retired the World Bank had a brilliant idea to do yet another reorg and have everybody reapply for their old job. The person Mr. SR had to interview with was not only much younger but had only been there a short while. She asked him a bunch of questions about the job and the software and the systems, etc. which he politely answered. Later his boss told him that when she reported to him on the interview, he took great pleasure in telling her that Mr. SR not only understood the system but HE HAD DESIGNED IT. I don't have that kind of patience.
          Good grief and the arrogance of youth, indeed! For all that the young are computer literate, they're shockingly illiterate in other ways.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Made a list today on what to pack. Had to add at least 3 items while I was packing -- forgot to add them to the list. Managed to not forget anything important.

No traffic jams on the way... well, there was one but we managed to circumvent it ...and made it to our very cosy loft in the middle of no and where. It's sooooo quiet here.

It was a sunny day but tomorrow's gonna rain all day and there will also be thunderstorms so I foresee a day of boardgaming in my future.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              Made a list today on what to pack. Had to add at least 3 items while I was packing -- forgot to add them to the list. Managed to not forget anything important.

No traffic jams on the way... well, there was one but we managed to circumvent it ...and made it to our very cosy loft in the middle of no and where. It's sooooo quiet here.

It was a sunny day but tomorrow's gonna rain all day and there will also be thunderstorms so I foresee a day of boardgaming in my future.
              Yay! Glad you made it without incident (and remembered all your stuff)! Have a fun time!
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Comment

Our tiny loft has 2 flaws... the toilet is situated underneath the staircase and they hung a small cabinet against the wall to store things. However, if one is not careful one bumps their elbow against it every time one has to close one's pants.

And 2 the lighting... they have a cool lighting element but it's the level of candlelight and well... I do like to see what's in my plate, you know. Also, there's no extra light in the seating area so reading when it's cloudy outside is a challenge.

Comment

Glad you made it safely. Enjoyed seeing lovely pics already! Have fun.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Our tiny loft has 2 flaws... the toilet is situated underneath the staircase and they hung a small cabinet against the wall to store things. However, if one is not careful one bumps their elbow against it every time one has to close one's pants.

And 2 the lighting... they have a cool lighting element but it's the level of candlelight and well... I do like to see what's in my plate, you know. Also, there's no extra light in the seating area so reading when it's cloudy outside is a challenge.
                      D'oh! Reminds me of the rental we were living in while the house was being built; the kitchen lighting (what little there was of it) was set over the walkway between the counter and the island, rather than set over the workspaces, so it was always too dimly lit while trying to chop veggies and all. Going for atmosphere rather than functionality.

Comment

So they were able to fix one problem with my work systems, but then my manager, in trying to be "helpful" did something that made things not work on both old system and new. Lovely.

FH Enjoy yourself, and don't bump into the cabinet too many times.

Comment

FH Enjoy yourself, and don't bump into the cabinet too many times.
                          I'm up to 2 bumps versus my sister's 3. (No, we're not making a competition out of it ... yet)

Also had a bit of an odd SGA dream last night... Elizabeth was there, and Rodney (I think). Kate too (obviously). And John. But can't remember much else.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

I got called in for jury duty. Buckle up kids!

So they were able to fix one problem with my work systems, but then my manager, in trying to be "helpful" did something that made things not work on both old system and new. Lovely.
                            D'oh!

Also had a bit of an odd SGA dream last night... Elizabeth was there, and Rodney (I think). Kate too (obviously). And John. But can't remember much else.
                            Hmm, maybe it's a new chapter of the Office Saga in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                              I got called in for jury duty. Buckle up kids!
                              Oh dear. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I would be terrible for a jury - I assume everyone is guilty.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus
                              I'm up to 2 bumps versus my sister's 3. (No, we're not making a competition out of it ... yet)

The very fact that you're counting and comparing means you ARE making a competition out of it.

I hate it when I've had a good dream but then can't remember it. D'oh!!

Comment

The very fact that you're counting and comparing means you ARE making a competition out of it.
                                Damn it, you're right.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                                Hmm, maybe it's a new chapter of the Office Saga in progress.
                                That's stuck on my work laptop. Must rescue it when I get home. Need to open my laptop anyway to get the company discount for a 365 days subscription to the Planckendael Zoo, which is located about 15 minutes from where I live.

Comment

Working...
                                X