Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
    I have a few posted on fanfic.net - I'm not a very prolific fanfic writer, but I sure like to read it! I have more "Nanny" fanfic, then Sparky fanfic on this account.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/775083/SMBBOOKS

And, the SEWcrew (Save Elizabeth Weir) wrote some Elizabeth centered fanfics as well. I wrote a couple of these. Not all are Sparky related, but they all focus on Elizabeth. I wrote a couple of them. A lot of great people contributed to that little effort, it was fun to go back and look through those.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1670969/SEWcrew
    Yay! ::Goes to read:: The Nanny - now there's a show that gave us happy endings for the ships.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
      And the end of the beginning??? Yeah, not really sure about that. I think I just swiped it from a title for a "Bones" episode and ...
      It's the title of the Farscape graphic novel which continues where The Peacekeeper Wars left off. If that should help...

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      Plus, I squeed my head off when she went redhead in Season 3.
      And while you were squee'ing I was looking for my jaw, which I had dropped.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
        I have a few posted on fanfic.net - I'm not a very prolific fanfic writer, but I sure like to read it! I have more "Nanny" fanfic, then Sparky fanfic on this account.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/775083/SMBBOOKS

And, the SEWcrew (Save Elizabeth Weir) wrote some Elizabeth centered fanfics as well. I wrote a couple of these. Not all are Sparky related, but they all focus on Elizabeth. I wrote a couple of them. A lot of great people contributed to that little effort, it was fun to go back and look through those.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1670969/SEWcrew
        Ohhh goody! New fics to discover!

From one game to another, a couple more from the 30+1 days meme...

Day the Ninth: Your favorite male character (who isn’t your fave char)
        John Sheppard - Well, since he's the other half of our Atlantis OTP, this choice is a no-brainer. But as with Elizabeth, I also appreciate John on his own merits. He's a study in contradictions. He possesses a keenly analytical mind and great intelligence, but he downplays it and lets himself appear to be just average, or even a bit of a dunce. He's got a happy-go-lucky attitude that can turn on a dime into fierce rage or crushing guilt and grief; sometimes both in equal measure. He's the son of a powerful and wealthy man, but he walked away from a life of luxury to serve his country under some of the harshest conditions one can experience. He clearly cares about those he's come to consider his second family, yet he has such trouble opening up emotionally to them. It's always fascinating to ponder the question of why John does what he does.

Day the Tenth: Your favorite female character (who isn’t your fave char)
        Kate Heightmeyer - Her quiet, unintrusive serenity in the face of having to deal with maintaining the mental health of 200+ people isolated millions of light years away from home has always earned my respect and admiration. We saw her on the show so rarely, yet there was always the feeling that she was right there in the thick of things. Plus, I squeed my head off when she went redhead in Season 3.
        SK you really do a great job with these- you make me feel like a slacker for throwing out the first crackalicous thought that enters my head when I respond to posts sometimes. Love the overview of John *sighs* It's lovely.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        It's the title of the Farscape graphic novel which continues where The Peacekeeper Wars left off. If that should help...
        Farscape. *sighs again*

Why, oh why......I miss my shows!!!! And I made the mistake of turning on Syfy the other night and what do I find? 'Mega Python vs. Gatoroid' with Tiffany and Debbie Gibson. WTH!

Oh crap, I'm getting all nostalgic now *sniff, sniff* Off to write some happy endings.
        sigpic
        Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
          Funny sparky moment! In Tao of Rodney when John wants to try Ancent machine (obviously, to gain superpowers just like Rodney).
          You know, I keep meaning to tell you I adore your sig and avatar.

Has anyone ever run across a vid that uses that song from the avatar (Peter Cetera- Glory of Love)? That would be a great one for a sparky vid.

Last edited by Zandra's Ashes; 10 February 2011, 03:32 PM. Reason: Added link to song to entice sparky vidder to make new lovely!
          sigpic

Comment

SouthernRed...you've made me so happy! I went in search of vid to cheer me up and found: Yours. Fantastic! Off to view the rest...a sure path to sweet dreams!

sigpic

Comment

Heheheh...

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
              SK you really do a great job with these- you make me feel like a slacker for throwing out the first crackalicous thought that enters my head when I respond to posts sometimes. Love the overview of John *sighs* It's lovely.
              *bows* Thank you! I think sometimes people just don't give John enough credit.

But don't worry, some of the topics for this meme just scream for crackalicious responses, and I intend to deliver! Ahahahahah!
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

OT
                Spoiler:
                does anyone here watch the show Southland?

Comment

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
                  SouthernRed...you've made me so happy! I went in search of vid to cheer me up and found: Yours. Fantastic! Off to view the rest...a sure path to sweet dreams!

Awww, thanks. That's my anthem. I SAY IT'S LOVE!!! Dammit.

I tried to stuff in as many clips of the special looks and little moments as I could. It was amazing how many I had left over. For a ship that didn't exist, it sure is easy to do a vid. LOL
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

From one game to another, a couple more from the 30+1 days meme...
                    Day the Ninth: Your favorite male character (who isn’t your fave char)

Is this the same for everyone? Mine, of course, is John, because he was a complicated character trapped in a really nice meat suit. *LOL*

John had some really great issues to analyze, when you stepped back and looked at him--particularly when you consider how Joe Flanigan played him. He was tough, nonchalant, smart, goofy, serious, ridiculous, damaged, strong, caring, aloof, teasing, supportive, lovelorn and standoffish all in one person. And as with Torri Higginson, JF played all of these elements seamlessly, to create a truly human character.

In Sci-fi, I think we have a tendency for that to happen because the 'outside' plots are so unrealistic (life-sucking aliens!) that the 'human' parts of things seem mundane by comparison. So while in a show like Grey's Anatomy a man's multi-faceted personality can be overdone, cheesy, and unrealistic because that IS the focus of the show, in a story where we're constantly running from bad guys, discovering new alien technology, running into poorly-costumed natives and saving the City, a man's personality is only one small part of things. Because of this, John's perfectly dysfunctional being was explored minutely and with great aplomb, making him a character who was fun to watch who never felt overdone.

And, of course, Joe recognized what needed to be done with John, even if the writers couldn't figure it out, and we got the wonderful darker side to him with the passing of Season 3. Essays could be done on how the giddy boy of S1 spiraled downward into the reserved, almost emotionless man of S5, but that's for another day.

Hmmm. Not a lot to choose from here, is there?

In comparing them all, I might have to go with Keller here, now that I've seen all 5 seasons. There are many elements of Keller that do annoy me, but really it's not the character so much as what she was written to do. As a character, I liked Keller's weakness and her overall attitude towards things. She was sort of the Daphne of the story, but she never acted like she wanted to be a victim, she tried her best to show her strengths and always fought, even if she failed at it. It was the fact that she could fail, I think, that made her less cookie-cutter as a token female.
                    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Update for you guys interested in SGA: Rising's First Eppy, RTP, part I:

- Page count at the moment: 73 @_@
                      - Completion: I'd say it's about 70%
                      - I'm trying to stick to the 5 sections, 5 chapters thing, but I'm finding that unwieldy. Putting it in 5 chapters has been easy, but trying to limit scenes is very difficult, with the number of people involved. Like, when Mayel showed up I couldn't go from her being brought through the gate unconscious to being interrogated, so in went a scene with her waking up with Keller, then the group deciding how best to approach her, then an interstitial scene with Nancy and Ronon to make it feel like we weren't just jumping from Keller saying 'she's suffering from hypoxia' to Woolsey interrogating her heavily. Many of the scenes need 'interstitials' between them to prevent characters from being in one place then all of a sudden in another, or a lack of continuity, or skipping big chunks of time.

So they are limited, but there will definitely be a few more scenes than normal--especially because all characters are involved. In trying not to ignore Teyla, I find it actually is hard to fit her in without growing too much of the story or having her endlessly repeat herself. AND I haven't even found a way to bring in Todd yet! *headdesk*

However--it is still great fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                        In trying not to ignore Teyla, I find it actually is hard to fit her in without growing too much of the story or having her endlessly repeat herself.
                        Maybe you should look at it this way - use her if the situation asks for it, but don't go around pushing her into scenes where in fact she isn't needed. It will without a doubt limit her screentime (of sorts) but it won't feel forced.

But that's just what I would do... with any character really...
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

- I'm trying to stick to the 5 sections, 5 chapters thing, but I'm finding that unwieldy. Putting it in 5 chapters has been easy, but trying to limit scenes is very difficult, with the number of people involved. Like, when Mayel showed up I couldn't go from her being brought through the gate unconscious to being interrogated, so in went a scene with her waking up with Keller, then the group deciding how best to approach her, then an interstitial scene with Nancy and Ronon to make it feel like we weren't just jumping from Keller saying 'she's suffering from hypoxia' to Woolsey interrogating her heavily. Many of the scenes need 'interstitials' between them to prevent characters from being in one place then all of a sudden in another, or a lack of continuity, or skipping big chunks of time.

So they are limited, but there will definitely be a few more scenes than normal--especially because all characters are involved. In trying not to ignore Teyla, I find it actually is hard to fit her in without growing too much of the story or having her endlessly repeat herself. AND I haven't even found a way to bring in Todd yet! *headdesk*

*squeees!!!* This is going to blow everybody out of the water. I predict massive fan interest.

And ITA with what FH said. We'd rather see characters have meaningful dialogue than just be wallpaper.
                          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday! (I almost typed 'Fireday,' which could've been rather interesting...)

Is this the same for everyone? Mine, of course, is John, because he was a complicated character trapped in a really nice meat suit. *LOL*
                            I had to quote this simply for that line. That was priceless! LOL!

Hmmm. Not a lot to choose from here, is there?

In comparing them all, I might have to go with Keller here, now that I've seen all 5 seasons. There are many elements of Keller that do annoy me, but really it's not the character so much as what she was written to do. As a character, I liked Keller's weakness and her overall attitude towards things. She was sort of the Daphne of the story, but she never acted like she wanted to be a victim, she tried her best to show her strengths and always fought, even if she failed at it. It was the fact that she could fail, I think, that made her less cookie-cutter as a token female.
                            While I liked the character concept for Keller, though not the way she ended up being written, I couldn't always put my finger on just why I liked her. I think you just solved my riddle.

My progress on Part 2 is... not quite as far along, I think. The teaser segment has not been written yet, as I'm waiting for the end of Part 1 so I can sync them up. Acts 1-3 are mostly complete, though I'm finding some of the same trouble Eri is with needing interstitial moments to bridge some of the scenes. Acts 4 and 5 are outlined with some scene fragments written.

I wouldn't worry about getting Teyla involved more in Part 1... After all, we've got that doozy of a storyline for her that's going to kick off in Part 2!
                            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Morning sparky fans I am glad Rising is coming along!
                              BALCONIES
                              The Breeding Ground of Ships.
                              sigpic

Comment

Maybe you should look at it this way - use her if the situation asks for it, but don't go around pushing her into scenes where in fact she isn't needed. It will without a doubt limit her screentime (of sorts) but it won't feel forced.

But that's just what I would do... with any character really...
                                That's basically what I'm doing. I've seen some of what Kitty plans for Teyla, and she won't be shoved aside. I think right now she has one principle interest and that is getting back to her people, and there's only so many times she can say that, so I'm not going to have her just pop up and keep saying that. One or two meaningful moments.

It's harder to incorporate characters like Kanaan and Todd, too, so they will also get little screen time here--however, since I'm writing Eppy 3, too, which will feature both of them HIGHLY, I plan to rectify that.

Comment

Working...
                                X