Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
    kathryne just suggested something for our virtual season. Elizabeth talks so many languages, but we never really got to see that. What if we let her discuss something with a Russian scientist in Russian and Rodney is just standing there, gaping and sorta going. "Hello? What about me?"
    I like it too. Good call. I don't know where to put it, but maybe around Blitzkrieg when Elizabeth's working full capacity on the base.
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
      I like it too. Good call. I don't know where to put it, but maybe around Blitzkrieg when Elizabeth's working full capacity on the base.
      *raises hand* She can speak a little bit of Croatian too (it's similar to Russian, since it's another Slavic language). Then, we could also hear her speak German or Spanish?

Heee. Smart Kathryne! any news on Torri yet? How is our Sparky Summer weekend going?
      I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

I'm back and almost melted but it was merely in the 90's today not over 100. I'll check back before bedtime.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Heee, it's so quiet! I'm kind of here, but will go to bed soon. Am working on a fic in the meantime

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
            *raises hand* She can speak a little bit of Croatian too (it's similar to Russian, since it's another Slavic language). Then, we could also hear her speak German or Spanish?

Heee. Smart Kathryne! any news on Torri yet? How is our Sparky Summer weekend going?
            Do you think she can talk French too. An episode where she has to use all those languages.....I also want portuguese but it's too much.lol
            sigpic
            Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

kathryne just suggested something for our virtual season. Elizabeth talks so many languages, but we never really got to see that. What if we let her discuss something with a Russian scientist in Russian and Rodney is just standing there, gaping and sorta going. "Hello? What about me?"
              HAHAHA! I love that! Let's see some of these mad skillz everyone was talking about when Weir was first introduced on SG-1.

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
              Sounds like a good episode to put it in!

I think that's definitely doable.

Originally posted by Probie View Post
              Do you think she can talk French too. An episode where she has to use all those languages.....I also want portuguese but it's too much.lol
              Hee!

I know when Weir was first introduced in SG-1, she said that she spoke five languages... Hmm, there's a thought. Is it five languages including English, or five languages in addition to English? That was never specified. I think both French and Russian are good candidates, probably Spanish and possibly Chinese (Mandarin). Perhaps Arabic? And she may know bits and pieces of additional languages as well, but she doesn't consider herself fluent enough in them to count.

Of course, she's learned even more languages by the time we get to Season 6. On the show, we saw her deciphering texts in Ancient and unraveling the Wraith language, so she's probably quite fluent in those by now.
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Regarding Elizabeth speaking more languages, I agree it would be cool
                I speak (more or less) 3 languages: english, french and german.
                I remember one of my male colleagues was very ... ehm ... excited when he heard me talk in french ... he once told me that it caused him to think about sex ... I wonder how would Sheppard react hearing Elizabeth talking a foreign language ... A Fish called Elizabeth?

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                  HAHAHA! I love that! Let's see some of these mad skillz everyone was talking about when Weir was first introduced on SG-1.

Sounds like a good episode to put it in!

I think that's definitely doable.

Hee!

I know when Weir was first introduced in SG-1, she said that she spoke five languages... Hmm, there's a thought. Is it five languages including English, or five languages in addition to English? That was never specified. I think both French and Russian are good candidates, probably Spanish and possibly Chinese (Mandarin). Perhaps Arabic? And she may know bits and pieces of additional languages as well, but she doesn't consider herself fluent enough in them to count.

Of course, she's learned even more languages by the time we get to Season 6. On the show, we saw her deciphering texts in Ancient and unraveling the Wraith language, so she's probably quite fluent in those by now.
                  If you take TLC at face value, there's: English, Latin (or at least a good understanding of the language to know that O'Neill was not speaking it), either German or Russian (I'm sorry, IDK, whichever language she was talking to the guy competing for the taxi with her in). It stands to reason, given her job, she'd speak Mandarin, and possibly Arabic, or something from the Middle East (what? It's where the US does a lot of work - Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq.....).

Can I add my two cents and say that comedy is okay in any episode? As General Hammond said, laugh in the face of danger even when it's inappropriate to do so. Obviously don't go overboard, but I've never had a day when somebody only said one funny thing all day. My days don't consist of guns, grenades, life sucking aliens though....

Edited to add:

Since her introduction to the Stargate Programme, she's also picked up Ancient (by Hide & Seek she knew it well enough to understand Halling), and Wraith. So we're at seven at least. She's probably made an effort to have a basic understanding of some other languages relevant to senior members of the expedition too.
                  Last edited by gateraid; 09 July 2010, 02:13 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
                    Regarding Elizabeth speaking more languages, I agree it would be cool
                    I speak (more or less) 3 languages: english, french and german.
                    I remember one of my male colleagues was very ... ehm ... excited when he heard me talk in french ... he once told me that it caused him to think about sex ... I wonder how would Sheppard react hearing Elizabeth talking a foreign language ... A Fish called Elizabeth?
                    *cracks up* Hmm, he hears her speaking in French, and immediately has to go take a cold shower. Heheheheh...

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                    If you take TLC at face value, there's: English, Latin (or at least a good understanding of the language to know that O'Neill was not speaking it), either German or Russian (I'm sorry, IDK, whichever language she was talking to the guy competing for the taxi with her in). It stands to reason, given her job, she'd speak Mandarin, and possibly Arabic, or something from the Middle East (what? It's where the US does a lot of work - Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq.....).
                    The Latin is kind of covered by the French-Spanish-Italian as they're all derived from Latin. It seems more likely that she knows one or more of the Romance languages fluently (I'm still betting on French, as it seems to be used extensively in diplomatic circles) but has enough of a passing understanding of Latin to get by. And she probably brushed up on the Latin when she got into the Stargate program and started digging into Ancient... maybe Daniel gave her a crash course, hahahah!

Can I add my two cents and say that comedy is okay in any episode? As General Hammond said, laugh in the face of danger even when it's inappropriate to do so. Obviously don't go overboard, but I've never had a day when somebody only said one funny thing all day. My days don't consist of guns, grenades, life sucking aliens though....
                    Very true! It's good to have some bit of humor to give the audience a breather in between the serious moments. Just look at Critical Mass, where Zelenka's away with a tech team on Planet Kid from Childhood's End; there's a moment where Sheppard (I think) makes a crack about how Zelenka's stuck with the kids when they make the decision to shut down all gate activity, which gets a nifty little bookend at the end of the episode when Zelenka and his team return, braided hair and painted faces all.

Edited to add:

Since her introduction to the Stargate Programme, she's also picked up Ancient (by Hide & Seek she knew it well enough to understand Halling), and Wraith. So we're at seven at least. She's probably made an effort to have a basic understanding of some other languages relevant to senior members of the expedition too.
                    Er, I mentioned Ancient and Wraith already.
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Link to a short vid describing the Atlantis Pegasus Logo that hung in Elizabeth's office. This is one of the items that will be in the Propworx Live Auctions this fall:
                      http://stargateartifacts.com/2010/07...pedition-logo/
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                        Link to a short vid describing the Atlantis Pegasus Logo that hung in Elizabeth's office. This is one of the items that will be in the Propworx Live Auctions this fall:
                        Sweeeet. That's probably gonna fetch a pretty penny.

And it's supposedly one-of-a-kind. So I guess that's another nail in the coffin of the claims by Mallozzi that they've got all the set pieces in storage and all they have to do is reassemble everything for the movie.

Comment

So, guys and girls, anyone heard from Kris?

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                            Oh waw... I so want it... but I'll be never able to afford it
                            But hey, Propworx is gonna make a LOT of money from this one.

So, guys and girls, anyone heard from Kris?
                            Well, we're finally back in the hotel and OMG!!!! I talked to Terri Osborne and I think she's gonna become my fav author after she get Elizabeth's memories published. And best of all, she's a TOTAL Sparky She told me about stuff that's been cut out of the book and stuff that's still in the book and OMG, it all sounds amazing.
                            For example: Elizabeth in NYC, working for the UN on 9/11 and how she reacts to what's happening.
                            It got cut But it's gonna appear on her website very soon Can't wait to read that.
                            And after the book gets published, she's gonna read sgarising

We haven't seen Torri yet, but we should see her tomorrow for the panel and the photo-op and maybe the autographs too (depending on what numbers they'll allow in). So I'll have a lot to post tomorrow... hopefully

I'm off to bed now... need sleep

Sig by me

Comment

Oh waw... I so want it... but I'll be never able to afford it
                              But hey, Propworx is gonna make a LOT of money from this one.
                              That they are.

Well, we're finally back in the hotel and OMG!!!! I talked to Terri Osborne and I think she's gonna become my fav author after she get Elizabeth's memories published. And best of all, she's a TOTAL Sparky She told me about stuff that's been cut out of the book and stuff that's still in the book and OMG, it all sounds amazing.
                              For example: Elizabeth in NYC, working for the UN on 9/11 and how she reacts to what's happening.
                              It got cut But it's gonna appear on her website very soon Can't wait to read that.
                              And after the book gets published, she's gonna read sgarising

We haven't seen Torri yet, but we should see her tomorrow for the panel and the photo-op and maybe the autographs too (depending on what numbers they'll allow in). So I'll have a lot to post tomorrow... hopefully

I'm off to bed now... need sleep
                              Hooray, you got to meet Terri! *huggles* I'm glad you got to talk to her about the book and all! She's posted the cutscenes of Elizabeth on 9/11 in a locked entry on her LJ; I've read it, and it's AMAZING. Everyone should read it, so it's good to hear it'll be going up on her website.

ZOMG, you told her about Atlantis Rising? Squee!

Have fun meeting Torri tomorrow... I am SOOOO jealous!

And try to get some sleep!

Comment

Wooohooooo I really really want to read those. Not to mention how much I want to read that book.

Now, that's a respectable piece of SGA official writing. No polyamorous nomads or such nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                                X