No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all up to discussion. I think we could hint at this, as his backstory,a nd not dvelve into it way too deeply. I know I can handle the storyline with confidence and knowledge.
    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
      It's all up to discussion. I think we could hint at this, as his backstory,a nd not dvelve into it way too deeply. I know I can handle the storyline with confidence and knowledge.
      Exactly, it doesn't have to be more than hinting. If we want, we can elaborate on it in s7.

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
        Exactly, it doesn't have to be more than hinting. If we want, we can elaborate on it in s7.
        Definitely. It can be done through flashbacks in "Gravity". Enough to make our audience suspect and ask questions/speculate on things, but not too much to overhwelm rest of the storyline.

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
          ...Parkinson's?
          That hits really close to home for me.

So, if it's decided that is going to be your "killer", than I can offer you a view of what it's like to live with someone who has Parkinson's disease at a fairly young age (and yes, I think late 40ties is fairly young).

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
          ...Parkinson's are all genetically predisposed, but it doesn't mean you'll get it.
          I still wish you hadn't said that.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

So, if it's decided that is going to be your "killer", than I can offer you a view of what it's like to live with someone who has Parkinson's disease at a fairly young age (and yes, I think late 40ties is fairly young).

*HUGS* I am so sorry. So very sorry. I hope we didn't hurt you.

Comment

Ooh, I'm so sorry to hear that! *hugs*

Sig by me

Comment

On John's mother. Not sure why but I've always assumed she died either from an accident (car, horse) or cancer.
                DDC

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                  Resistance to Sparky is futile. Hee.
                  Couldn't resist

Spoiler:

Comment

I'm sorry too. Mr. SR's stepmother's mother had Parkinson's. I only met her late in life but it was a daily struggle for her and her family. She died in her 80's though. So genetics? In that family we had the mom with Parkinson's, one daughter with Lupus and the other daughter with the early onset Alzheimer's. What a genetic soup that was. Oh and the father died very young of a heart attack.
                    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I'm speechless.
                      *HUGS*

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        Yes we do! *BIG HUGS*

I sense a motivational poster in the making.

We could always have them come across a cache of those guns so that John could have one, and they'd have spares that John could try (and fail) to offer Elizabeth when he insists that she has to be armed to go off-world...

Hmm, now that's a question. Just where did these guns come from? Are they Satedan, or is it something that both Ronon and the Travelers picked up from somewhere else? I don't think that was ever answered on the show.
                        No, we did not find out the origin of the guns, other than that the Travelers had them. What might be funny if SR is willing is to have John con Ronon out of his gun in "To Build A Fire" and then not being able to get to it the whole time he's captured, so basically you're watching him struggling to get his hands on this awesome weapon that would take care of the situation and which he basically had to sign his life away for and it being of no use to him against Abomamama.

It also makes Ronon being helpless in ice world a little more feasible, if he's having to deal with a handgun or something.

I think "Gravity" will be a great opportunity to do that. And I just have an idea, regarding John's mother, that would work well, and would be realistic. And since it willa fect the rest of the storyline, especially regarding Elizabeth's breakdown, I'm going to share it.

Spoiler:
                        This is one of my fanfic ideas and I'm not certain I'll ever get to use it in fanfiction - I might - but I don't see why it couldn't be used in our Season 6. We are led to assume that John's mom died long before John's dad and her loss was something that influenced John profoundly. I remember us discussing car accidents and things like that. How about this - what if she had degenerative neurological condition like Alzheimer's, or Huntington's chorea? It's gradual, progressive, it's very painful to see a loved one go through something like that. It's something that could cause the divide between John and his father, especially if Patrick Sheppard felt guilty over not being able to help his wife, so he stayed away from home under the excuse of working. You can tell John would be mad at him for that.

Which would explain why John is so particularly freaked out by events that make him lose his mind, so to speak. Then, it also sheds a new light on John's reactions regarding Rodney in "The Shrine", and his behavior in other episodes. Finally, it would affect his reactions over Elizabeth's condition during S6, and God, just think about TRW and the nanites that made her believe something that wasn't real. Even his initial decision not to revive her in Adrift, by using the nanites, can be seen in a new light.

Any thoughts, guys?

Oh by the way. Do we have a name for John's mom? I think we could use one. Also. Other characters have parents too. Names?
                        Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        Oooh, that'd be heartbreaking for John. I'm not sure if we ever finalized anything for John's mother; Eri might remember. I have to admit, I also have the same concerns as Fionnait with regards to how all these conditions are genetically inherited; do we really want to deal with the specter of whether or not John (or his children) might end up with it as well? Gotta think long term, here.

OMFG. *dies laughing*

Heh, I keep thinking of Anne as a middle name for Elizabeth.
                        They did not delve into anything regarding John's mom in canon, nor did we discuss it for any of our episodes. We can glean a few things about John from his demeanor in Outcast:

- He felt his Dad wanted him to 'go away' and is surprised to find his father wanted to reconcile
                        - He does not care about money and is more selfless about family than his brother Grant
                        - John said his father had his life planned out for him from 'about the age of 14'--could just be that was considered his age of maturity when he needed to plan his future, or it could be around the time his mother died and his father started become strict.

The only canon issue I see with regards to John's behavior with a degenerative mental disease is that he never panicked during "The Shrine". It bothered him to lose Rodney, but it didn't seem to bother him that it was a disease where Rodney's mind was going. In fact, in the pier sequence he emphatically tells Rodney that he's not going to say goodbye to him in a lucid state, and he's very gentle with him when they reach Talus, but he's not awkward or scared or acting as though it gave him bad memories. I would imagine that anyone who lived through someone suffering a degenerative mental disease would be uncomfortable seeing that happen again to someone else they cared about.

A long suffering illness may be more plausible; it would explain, too, why John is so determined to do whatever he can to save others if it is within his power, as those situations are within his control, while something like cancer is not. Though, at the same time, John has never demonstrated any antipathy towards hospitals, medicine, illness or disease, which you might expect from someone who watched someone they love die after a long medical battle (that ever present 'I just don't like hospitals' line writers sometimes throw in). And John has had a couple of questions raised about his gene (and also suffered genetic mutation) and nothing was mentioned about complications or other genetic issues with regards to that.

That's my canon 2 cents! Do with it what you will!

For me personally, it's hard to say. John isn't resentful of his father other than in his father tried to control him and determine what was best for him--but he didn't seem to begrudge him his mother's death or anything. And John's sense of 'leave no man behind' is extremely overwhelming, which makes me think he wants to keep 'death' under control. The best I can do is deduce that his mother died in a way which he could not control or prevent and he determined that he would not let that happen again. But how that is, I'm not sure.
                        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

*HUGS* I am so sorry. So very sorry. I hope we didn't hurt you.
                          Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
                          Ooh, I'm so sorry to hear that! *hugs*
                          No harm done... sometimes I think I have finally accepted my mother's condition, and other times I realize that I haven't really at all. And then I'm going from angry to sad, and back to angry. But that's okay - it's normal I guess.

But, like I said, I can offer a viewpoint if you should go with Mr. Parkinson. I can be the emotional research or something.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                          I'm sorry too. Mr. SR's stepmother's mother had Parkinson's. I only met her late in life but it was a daily struggle for her and her family. She died in her 80's though. So genetics? In that family we had the mom with Parkinson's, one daughter with Lupus and the other daughter with the early onset Alzheimer's. What a genetic soup that was. Oh and the father died very young of a heart attack.
                          And how's Mr. SR feeling?

That's one hell of gene-soup.

Pope John Paul the 2nd had Parkinson's. And he got really old too.

Michael J. Fox has Parkinson's - though not quite sure how he's doing these days. All I know he's involved in fundraising and doing as much as he can in the research to a cure or medicine to slow the disease down.

And... yeah, I do my occasional reading on the subject...
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

A big hug! I am really sorry. But I actually wanted to say that the predisposition wasn't that bad (-> no reason not to have kids). It's really only slight!

No harm done... sometimes I think I have finally accepted my mother's condition, and other times I realize that I haven't really at all. And then I'm going from angry to sad, and back to angry. But that's okay - it's normal I guess.

But, like I said, I can offer a viewpoint if you should go with Mr. Parkinson. I can be the emotional research or something.

Michael J. Fox has Parkinson's - though not quite sure how he's doing these days. All I know he's involved in fundraising and doing as much as he can in the research to a cure or medicine to slow the disease down.

And... yeah, I do my occasional reading on the subject...
                            I think we should rule Parkinson's out if it hits so close to home for one of us. No need in causing unnecessary pain.

I have a lot of admiration for people who fight their disease and for the cause like Michael J. Fox. Terry Pratchett has early onset Alzheimer's. This also makes me sad

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Hrm. well, since we are the writers, we can decide he doesn't have bad genes and doesn't get these conditions. It's realistic to be afraid of the, of course, but same goes for number of health conditions, like herat conditions (didn't John's father die of heart - condition?), diabetes, kidney diseases, all sorts of stuff. And even if something IS genetically predisponed, like Fionnait said *points below* it doesn't mean the person would get it, or transfer the genes to his/hers children. However, i like storylines like this one, they make the character more real and give him or her concernes people in real life are often facing
                              Thats true, both my parents are carriers of a gene that causes cystic fibrosis. They found out when they had a child with it, my older brother who died before i was born. When i was pregnant i found out i was also a carrier but with cystic fibrosis as with some other inherited diseases both parents have to be carriers in order for there to be a chance to have a child born with it.
                              Last edited by VampyreWraith; 04 June 2010, 11:28 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ddc View Post
                                On John's mother. Not sure why but I've always assumed she died either from an accident (car, horse) or cancer.
                                i've always pictured her getting into a car accident , after going to pick up john from being someplace he wasnt supposed to be. id pictured them aguing in the car and saying and her saying something about how dissapointed his father was going to be if he ever found out what john had been doing or where hed been.
                                I like Anne, its pretty.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X