Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
    Yes! That's what I was thinking, about a page per minute, maybe a little more, so we're looking at minimum about 42-44 pages of story to start.

Homework, Anuna, you bad student, was to write the opening sequence of Echoes from the pre-credits start scene (including the 'previously ons') to the first US written-in break, which is the scene where Elizabeth sees the burned man in the elevator for the first time (the next scene is FH's famous Atlantis Angels scene, with Kate, Teyla and Elizabeth walking in the corridor and talking about Elizabeth's vision).

It's about 12 minutes worth of scene time. Include scene breaks as something like (--/--) marks in your paper. Note the minor scene cliffhangers and the major commercial break scene ender (Elizabeth looking WAYYY concerned). You can find script transcripts at gateworld.net or twiztv.com.

Write it as you see it, in your style. Then we'll compare. I think deadline was supposed to be tomorrow, but we can extend it for everyone else.

It would be really nice if all our writers did this, so they could both get the feel of what it is like to summarize/novelize TV scenes and so they could know how to interweave scenes for that TV feel. All writers need to know what we're aiming for here.
    I copy-and-pasted the post, and the deadline is June 11. We've still got a week.

So, don't describe the opening credits, just note that they're there? Cool.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      That's a feasible plan and would make a great fic. Check out our comm in my sig for all the details on SS6.

I created an account and posted some thoughts in the comments for ep 1+ 2
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
        I copy-and-pasted the post, and the deadline is June 11. We've still got a week.

So, don't describe the opening credits, just note that they're there? Cool.
        Thanks! I couldn't remember and was too lazy busy to go find my original post.

Yes, don't describe the credits, just note the break where the credits are (we can hyperlink credits in our real stories there). But do describe the 'previously ons' because I think we need to include those.
        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

You have been so busy!

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
          On Weir looking old - I find she looked better as seasons progressed. She was so think in the beginning and to me it seemed that - whoever is in charge of that - they didn't know what to do with her looks. I think they went for strict, hard liner leader in S1, but as the season progressed Torri shaped her character into something completely different and there was no way back. They did her hair betterm she had softer makeup, and she gained some weight which looked great on her - just check her out in S3. She was so GORGEOUS then. *sigh
          I agree 100%!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          Everybody knows that Teyla and Kate were lo... wait, that's not canon either. Nevermind.

I'd actually prefer that

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          The thing is, I used to be a big tie-in reader. Emphasis on that 'used to be.' What I want to see in a tie-in is adherence to canon and not screwing around pushing agendas that fly in the face of canon and what the fans want to see. It's become very clear over the past several months that these books are not going to adhere to canon, and will be pushing an unpopular agenda. Even more than that, the fact that MGM approved these books, despite the existence of a movie script that's supposed to cover the same ground of resolving the story at the end of the series, really has me disappointed in MGM's handling of the franchise. I may not like everything that TPTW has done with Atlantis, but they are still the arbiters of all things Stargate, and MGM Consumer Products should have deferred to them and waited for the situation with the movie to be resolved before moving forward with any post-series tie-in books, comics, audio dramas, etc. Confusing the fans with two (or more) conflicting stories is not in MGM's best interest, so why are they even doing it? The questionable nature of this project has soured me to tie-ins in general.
          Why would anyone pay to read fanfiction, anyways?

Is it sad that I completely get that?
          So do I!

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
          thats what i thought, thats y i never got the shes too old for him arguement. As for the characters , sheppard kinda has to be about the same age as joe just based on his military rank , the most you could go is 2 or three yrs younger. And since they used DH's real age for rodney i dont see why they wouldnt do it for the other characters/actors
          Well, if you take Elizabeth's carrier into account, in real life she would have to be around 50. But so would a lot of other super-human characters on TV...

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
            Well, if you take Elizabeth's carrier into account, in real life she would have to be around 50. But so would a lot of other super-human characters on TV...
            military rank is a bit different than a diplomatic career though, theres a certain amount of time you have to be at each rank to be eligible for promotion and i think anything after captain has to go through an approval board as well.
            sigpic

Comment

military rank is a bit different than a diplomatic career though, theres a certain amount of time you have to be at each rank to be eligible for promotion and i think anything after captain has to go through an approval board as well.
              That's true and John is just about right for Lt.Col. The way he got the promotion wouldn't have happened either. You have to take a test and get approved by the board. Technically, I guess his is a field promotion.

And Elizabeth is way too young for her position even if she had been on the fast track since college. But then there's Keller, so I guess age doesn't matter in the Pegasus Galaxy. LOL
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

All this talking about Elizabeth being old, Elizabeth harassing John, Elizabeth being written really bad in the next books is getting me depressed.
                I really need a hot passion fic, something like The Long Hot Summer, with John saying something like:

"All right then, run, Elizabeth, and you keep on running. Go through the Stargate and disappear. Change your name, dye your hair, get lost - and then maybe, just maybe, you're gonna be safe from me."

and then

"Put the things down, Elizabeth, 'cause I'm gonna kiss you. I'm gonna show you how simple it is. You please me, and I'll please you."

and hear "If You're Not The One" by D. Bedingfield as soundtrack.

Forgive me, I'm going crazy

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal View Post
                  From an interview with Wright & Cooper in 2004:
                  Considered much more of a sure thing is the character of Dr. Elizabeth Weir, and both Brad and Robert speak in glowing terms of Torri Higginson, who will be taking the role originated by Jessica Steen. “She became the bar, and no one got near it,” Brad says of Torri during the casting process. Robert adds, “We found Torri right away, and fell in love with her. Actually, it was, like, five seconds into her audition, it was halfway through the speech, and Brad said, ‘O.T.W.!’ which just means ‘On To Wardrobe!’” he laughs.

What they both saw in her performance was an ability to play a strong leader without approaching the role as a man would. “What I love about her,” Brad says, “is she’s just strong. Torri is just strong. She doesn’t have to put on any airs.” “And yet she is able to appear vulnerable, and feminine, and all those things,” Robert interjects as Brad continues, “But when she takes command, like when she says to Sheppard in the pilot, ‘Look, just shut up for a minute!’, you don’t feel like it’s…” “…*****y,” Robert finishes.

“She’s just strong,” Brad repeats, “and she’s a great balance for Joe [Flanigan, who plays Major John Sheppard], and smart! In the ‘SG-1’ two parter, we get to see her in her natural element, too, being a diplomat. She’s negotiating with Goa’ulds, and she shows off just how good she can be.” Robert notes, “And I think you see in the two-hour of ‘SG-1’ as well, that the other actors obviously developed an immediate respect for her, and that that came across in the way that the characters saw her now in command of the SGC.”

http://rdanderson.com/stargate/lexic...bradrobert.htm

How things change...
                  Wow - now that is something way before my SGA fandom days. i never read that. And I agree, she is amazing and smart and did a perfect job of balancing out Joe/John. I can't believe how these guys turned another page and decided she was expendable.
                  I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

I can see that more that the other ship, and in all honesty wouldve perfered that
                    Frak, I can't green you... need to spread it around more.

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                    ...the next scene is FH's famous Atlantis Angels scene, with Kate, Teyla and Elizabeth walking in the corridor and talking about Elizabeth's vision....
                    MY ANGELS!!!

Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

OT

Spoiler:
                      We are cursed. Yesterday, no electricity in the house and now the line of my phone outside is broken. Can you believe it? Tomorrow, problem with water.lol

Kris: I heard your voice and I heard Joe when he said "putain de merde". Nice french voice.
                      sigpic
                      Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

I've got a bit to catch up on, so here goes. Glad ya'll liked the stories. gateraid and VW dig the snark. With the age thing, I'm in my mid 20's. Miss Torri... definitely NOT too old for me. (Thanks for the pic homie) Lizzie's appeal isn't being a stunner (she's no slouch, don't get me wrong). It's more the way she conducts herself: confident, intelligent, and strong. I think she'd stop a clock playing an old school noir type role.

I never read the tie-in books. But I have the attention span of a gerbil, so 200-500 pages is something I can rarely finish. (Dang shiny objects ) The old tbtb excerpt, all I can say is management can pat you on the back with one hand, and shank you in the belly with the other.
                        Last edited by pkprd869; 03 June 2010, 11:46 AM.
                        "I only understand about 1% of what she says half of the time."

Comment

Wow - now that is something way before my SGA fandom days. i never read that. And I agree, she is amazing and smart and did a perfect job of balancing out Joe/John. I can't believe how these guys turned another page and decided she was expendable.
                          They said similar things about Joe. He was charming and a great actor and yadda yadda. And then he turned out to have a mind of his own. Dang. LOL
                          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

They said similar things about Joe. He was charming and a great actor and yadda yadda. And then he turned out to have a mind of his own. Dang. LOL
                            For which I love him,a nd I think we all do. So I still call it a win.
                            I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

That's true and John is just about right for Lt.Col. The way he got the promotion wouldn't have happened either. You have to take a test and get approved by the board. Technically, I guess his is a field promotion.

And Elizabeth is way too young for her position even if she had been on the fast track since college. But then there's Keller, so I guess age doesn't matter in the Pegasus Galaxy. LOL
                              Based on my calculations, John should be about due for his next promotion zone in 2010, too.

*snerks* Yeah, age doesn't seem to matter.

They decided she was expendable because she balanced out Joe/John. Can't have her being the most realistic candidate for the hero's love interest, don'tcha know.

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
                              I've got a bit to catch up on, so here goes. Glad ya'll liked the stories. gateraid and VW dig the snark. With the age thing, I'm in my mid 20's. Miss Torri... definitely NOT too old for me. (Thanks for the pic homie) Lizzie's appeal isn't being a stunner (she's no slouch, don't get me wrong). It's more the way she conducts herself: confident, intelligent, and strong. I think she'd stop a clock playing an old school noir type role.

I never read the tie-in books. But I have the attention span of a gerbil, so 200-500 pages is something I can rarely finish. (Dang shiny objects ) The old tbtb excerpt, all I can say is management can pat you on the back with one hand, and shank you in the belly with the other.
                              And that's just what happened, figuratively speaking.

*snerks* Drat those pesky, uppity actors!
                              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

For which I love him,a nd I think we all do. So I still call it a win.
                                yeah i love how snarky he can be about tptb, and how protective hes always been of the cast
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X