Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My personal opinion only would be to keep the two active threads separate. Not just because the one thread has a more serious tone than the other, but due to the activity itself.

An S/J fan who doesn't have a lot of time to spend online - and they're out there - might have a difficult time keeping up on the "family" thread. I've seen posts there where people were gone for a day or two and were suddenly 40 pages behind, without the time or the inclination to sort through the "extracurrciular" stuff like pictures and captions and that type of fun in order to pick out the posts that have discussion. Oh, there *is* discussion on the Family thread, but there's so much more.

The discussion thread, for users of this kind, would be a much happier "home" for them because they can make that their daily dose of S/J-ness. And if they have an extra hour and want to see some pictures or other fun, they can still visit the other thread. But they're not tied to it. Merging the threads would leave these people with nowhere to go if they don't have time to sort through the activity.

However, it would be nicer to have a more firm differentiation between the thread titles. I forgot to copy them, but they were awfully similar, I thought. Plus, I'm not crazy about the word "fluff." But I also agree that the "family" name could be misleading. How about one that says "Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill All Things Shippy" and then "Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Discussion Only"? Or something similar. (I know that first one sounded geeky, but you get my meaning. Something all-encompassing to contrast the discussion-only name.)

And for the record, I don't currently frequent the discussion-only thread, but I can see why somebody might.
    - Mary
    SG1 needs it's Fifth Man - Why should we settle for less? Bring back Jonas Quinn!
    Jack O'Neill would die for any member of his team. But there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter.

Comment

I think the Pro-S/J Discussion thread, at least when it was last used, was seen a place for discussion of the ship primarily without the distraction of pictures and such. To the best of my knowledge, the posters there were positive about the ship itself--as in they believe Sam and Jack are or will be together--but just looking for a place where discussion was the main purpose. Many of the posters, if you look at the most recent participants, are or were members of the Ship Family thread, so I'm not sure the issue is peaceful co-existence in this case. I think the question is: does there still need to be a place where *only* discussion about the ship happens? I understand VSS' point about there being a place that doesn't have the dynamic pace that the Family thread has, however, considering no one has felt the need to make use of the Pro-thread since mid-December, it does make one wonder if it's out-lived its usefulness. TBH, I had even forgotten I had subscribed to it until Sky's post today.

As for the Resort thread...never even heard of it.
      sigpic

Comment

I scanned through the pro S/J thread and though i did notice that many people were people that are on the family thread I saw some posts that could have been considered anti shipish in nature...and of course everyone is entitled to their opinions, and if it was merged and stuff like that popped up I'd respect the person's opinions but again I think there are some differences between the two threads

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
        Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
        Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

how long is this thread going to be open to discussions? i'm just wondering how much time we have to hear from as many shippers as possible.
          sally

sigpic

Comment

I think the main difference between the two active threads is, as others have said, that the Family thread has many different things happening at once (pics, fic recs, vid recs, captioning, etc. etc.), while the focus of the discussion thread is...well..discussion. Granted, I don't frequent the discussion thread, so I could be wrong. I think keeping the two thread seperate would better serve S/J Shippers of both mind sets.

I didn't even know the "resort" thread existed. If I have OT stuff, I go to the shipper lounge thread. I think you'd be fine doing away with it.
            sigpic

Comment

Normally there is a week of discussions

Please also keep in mind that the title needs to reflect the fact that the S&J Family thread does in fact have artwork, vid links and fanfic links as well as the more generally open discussion of the thread members as well as the ship.

While the discussion ONLY thread is just that, no links of any kind, no artwork, no fanfic, no poems, no nothing but discussion. That was the reason for its inception all those years ago.

so when suggesting a title please keep those things in mind.

The threads truly are very different and unique but BOTH have a similar purpose... the discussion of S&J ship. The family thread just has a few added extras as well as a bit *more* of a positive outlook overall. While the discussion ONLY thread, while still predominantly positive does discuss other angles and allows folks who only have a passing thought a place to post it.
              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

It seems to me that there needs to be two threads because the Sam/Jack relationship is like it's very own character within the Stargate franchise. This might get a little out there, so please bear with me.

Other characters have a thread dedicated to the character/actor where pictures and other things are posted and general fluffiness and/or thunking occurs. That to me is the Jack/Sam Ship family discussion thread. We can get a little off topic, but in general we stay the course of celebrating our favourite character.

From my perspective the Sam/Jack Ship discussion thread is an objective look at the ship, as other ship threads are. The good, the bad, how it adds to the franchise etc. I imagine, to be fair, that there would be a "Sam/Jack Keep them Single!" type thread to even it all out.

As for the resort thread, I think I read that it was created at a time when there was a family squabble. I would say it could be locked and allowed to fall since, it seems to me, people have moved on from there.

I'm ok with the name changes. I'm all for the fairness in naming.
                sigpic

Comment

Just want to be sure I understand...if there's a merge we can still do what we do (discuss the ship, revel in the ship, speculate on the ship, post shippy picspam, etc), but we WON'T have to defend against anti's?

If the above is true, then merge away. I'm all for streamlining.
                  Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

the less then positive thread will have its own place
                    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Personally, I really REALLY don't want the Family Thread merged with the Discussion Thread or anything else. The S/J Family Thread is a fun place because we don't take ourselves to seriously. We can have our discussions, but we always have a ton of picspam, poems, fics, bits of OT news sprinkled thoughout the thread. I hope it doesn't sound selfish or anything, but I think that merging with a group who's used to discussion only might cause some tension, as in how much discussion/other shippy stuff the thread can tolerate. JMO, but I think that any merging could disrupt the family aspect.

That being said, I sorry to say but I also think that adding a thread with discussions involving both shippers/non-shippers is a mistake. I'll admit that among the current shipper family there have been some small disagreements, and although these are able to be solved quickly, the entire mood of the thread becomes depressed and uninviting. I can handle these disagreements (and respect the other poster's ideas, of course.) when they only pop up occasionally, but if negative comments show up very often, and the tone is disrupted, I know that I won't look forward to coming to the thread as often any more.

Another reason why (Gosh, I hope I don't sound selfish) I don't like the idea of a merged family/discussion thread is that as of right now, I enjoy the fact that everyone on the thread is an S/J shipper. It's something that we all agree 100% on. It's what literally bonds us and makes us a family. We welcome the newbies, we hope/pray for each other when it's needed, we're always there for one another. It's what keeps us posting and makes our thread very unique.

The family aspect is why I love coming to the S/J Thread, and it is the only thing that will keep me coming back. I love the members of my shipper family, and I don't want anything to happen to the bond we have. These are my thoughts on the idea of the merging and I really hope that all sides are considered.

Thanks a bunch. ~Jess

Edit: I know this is repetitous, but regarding any name changes, I just want to say again I'd apprecitate the family aspect stay in the title. It really is what defines us. Thanks again.
                      Last edited by SamJackShipper93; 19 March 2009, 09:12 PM.
                      sigpic
                      The Return of King Arthur
                      Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                      acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Okay. Now I don't know what to think. It makes sense not to merge the threads, but it's also logical why the threads should be merged.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          that's a lot of 'if's

do we really want a lot of people having to alter their attitude and posting style, while also having to tolerate those that might not change as fast?
                          My short answer to that is "No!"

I agree with VSS, SJS93, Buc252 and Luvnjack, in that the two threads, although having similar purposes, are very different in style and quantity of posts. I think merging them wood cause a lot of problems.

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
                            My short answer to that is "No!"

I agree with VSS, SJS93, Buc252 and Luvnjack, in that the two threads, although having similar purposes, are very different in style and quantity of posts. I think merging them wood cause a lot of problems.
                            What you say.

Even though it could work, the one thread, I think it's better to keep up with the two.

The ship thread(the main one) atm, is more about fluffy stuff...and all than real discussion...you have a discussion but it's quickly going back to fun and just joking around. to be honest, you can not keep up a long realy deep discussion on the S/J family thread. It's too fluffy and positive for that.

Also what Sky said about if we can handle the less positive people; out of experience I know we can't. Everytime there was a shipper that was very critical and not that positive about it, people got angry and upset.

In my opinion it is then best that we keep up with two threads. One for serious, in depth discussion, if people feel the need for it and one thread that is basically the same as the main thread now.

As for the name of the threads...no problems with it.... but why fluff and not gutter Just kidding

*runs out*
                            sigpic

Comment

The changes got here too... I admit I was afraid of that.

I don't know how the others but I am not so happy with the name Jack O'Neill/Sam Carter Ship Discussion. I would welcome if we have a word pro/appreciation or something like that in the name. That it would be clear on the first sight that we are pro ship. We are like a family and I don't wish another people coming here who aren't the pros as we are.

And I would prefer to keep this thread for positive discussion only. I have nothing against discussing some not so shiny sites of the ship with other family members but I don't wanna discuss with anyone who is against. The discussion thread will be better alone. At least we could keep the pro threads when we cannot keep the anti threads...

BTW can I have a bit off topic question, Sky? Why some of the anti threads can still exist while others cannot? Just curious

Comment

off the top I'd rather the two threads don't merge. We already use the Lounge as a filter/buffer for those who want *some* artwork/fluff/pic spam/fanfic but also want OT, and the discussion for those who want none of that. If we merge them one of the two MOs will need to take precedence, so one group of fans is going to lose out. I'd say we manage pretty well with the 4 threads (Family, Discussion, Lounge, Artwork) running simultaneously, that way people can choose which aspect they want.
                                I'd say there are definitely different posters that use the different threads, because they offer something different. I'm in favour of keeping those choices.
                                sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X