X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
    I now understand.

I agree with what you, and APA are saying, and that I also miss the way the thread used to be, with a mixture of fun and discussion.

If the 'only positive' type of shipper was willing to scroll past the more 'negative' type of post, and allow both to co-exist in the one all-encompassing thread, then I would vote for just having one thread. There's a great big IF there, but the ship thread began as one great big thread, so I don't see why it can't go back to being one again.

I have now posted as being for two separate threads, and as being for one thread only. I am here to confuse everyone.
    See I love to have one thread were everything is possible and we all can discuss and post picture. But I can't see it happening atm. I mean it seems that discussions aren't big anymore, and it seems that the moment you say something negative about the ship or Sam/Jack that you get loads of people telling you that you are looking at it wrongly.
    Tbh in a ship there isn't a good and bad.

Yes I wish we could have one big thread but atm I can't see it happening and that is why I hope for 2 threads. Maybe what Sky said isn't such a big thing anymore. Get a thunk thread and a discussion thread.

Yeah then we kind of lose our family feel to it but I think then both parties, those who love discussion and those who love thunking and fluff can, can be happy. And then you can also pick out daily what you feel like...Discussion or thunk.

And like most of you I want the thread to be how it used to be...but sadly enough this isn't going to happen and this is not what this thread is about...
    We should try to come to an agreement about what is best for the thread/threads. And atm I would say 2 threads is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
      See I love to have one thread were everything is possible and we all can discuss and post picture. But I can't see it happening atm. I mean it seems that discussions aren't big anymore, and it seems that the moment you say something negative about the ship or Sam/Jack that you get loads of people telling you that you are looking at it wrongly.
      Tbh in a ship there isn't a good and bad.
      I don't want to put more coals on the fire but I must say this:

...well you are in a ship thread and IMHO I think there are people that still see the ship positive...and discuss about it. apparently in tihs case there are than if you say something negative more people that see the topic from a positive view. but it's how it is said, you can say something in a way that it's discusable but you can also do it like it's a statement...discussions are about how you can persuade people to your see your point of view and let them agree with you...

The problem is that if one person posts something negative and a lot people see it from a positive side the person gives up and just doesn't bother because in their opinion nobody sees it like him/her.

I think that's more a problem about the discussion in general than about if we want to see it all positive or not. I for one am open to negative views, although myself I Would try to persuade the other person to see something from a positive side...

And like most of you I want the thread to be how it used to be...but sadly enough this isn't going to happen and this is not what this thread is about...
      We should try to come to an agreement about what is best for the thread/threads. And atm I would say 2 threads is the best.
      It won't get back to how it was. People change, threads change...the world changes. Although we don't like changes, they just happen, we can't help it...sometimes it's for the greater good...sometimes it's a bad change...it happens.
      If I read all the comments correctly, most people want, like you say, a thread for both things, if we set clear boundries we can do both. I think the ship thread has always had good rules within it that worked, if those keep applied we can have discussions there and our occasional fun.

I'm in a way conflicted now about the two threads thing, but I just want a ship thread where I can discuss and have fun. I love that the most...I wouldn't like it to switch every time I feel the need to discuss something, or post pictures and other sillyness. IMHO I would post less and less in the ship threads and I wouldn't want that to happen.
      sigpic

Comment

what we do with a thunk thread is htat yeah, sometimes they discuss. Then there are a lot of posts that are fluff, then they discuss/chat for a bit and so on

dip into some of the other thunk threads to see how they handle things to get an idea

I will say, if you guys vote for the merge, you ALL will have to work at it. You can't just sit back and come to the mods all upset because there's too much chit chat, or because someone is harshing your squee and you're upset. you will have to accept each other and each other's differences

think honestly about if you can commit to that
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
          My suggestion would be to have one thread called 'Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation and Discussion'. Appreciation would cover the pics/links/pic stories/captionary/alphabet games, etc and Discussion would emphasise that it is a discussion forum too and needs to incorporate that element. I also think that possibly when the name change comes in, there probably should be more of an effort to take the truly OT/chat stuff off to the Shipper Lounge.
          Like the thread name Rachel, sounds good to me.
          sigpic

Comment

i've been thinking about this over night. i thought i'd changed my mind about having just one thread into keeping the two threads, but now i 'think' i'm back to having one. this is why...

Originally posted by starlover View Post
            What you say.
            Also what Sky said about if we can handle the less positive people; out of experience I know we can't. Everytime there was a shipper that was very critical and not that positive about it, people got angry and upset.
            you're right, but what i think gets some upset is no one wants anyone raining on their happy mood parade.

but, this thread started off as an all-around ship discussion thread, where happy and not happy debates went on at the same time. once upon a time, we were able to coexist at the same time.

it's when someone is angry, shipwise, and resents when others don't fall into it with them. or, someone is happy and positive and doesn't want anyone to bring them down. (i've been in both places myself )

but such is the way of a discussion/debate thread. the happy and the unhappy 'can' coexist together, if we just don't get upset at the others doing the opposite of what we're feeling.

i'm going to keep reading (lots more posts to read ), but my updated vote is:

i prefer one thread for all ship related stuff - Samantha Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion and Appreciation

but if it's voted that more ppl want to keep the two threads separate, i vote for:

the main thread - Samantha Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion and Appreciation

Carter/O'Neill Ship Discussion Only

i'd also prefer sam's name be mentioned first in the main thread (at least), because it is one of the few ship couples i've seen listed where the woman is mentioned first. i find that very complimentary and respectful to the character.
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
              That's really why I'm not sure it's worth bothering to keep up the other thread. As Jasmina said, those of us who found we can't have the sort of serious conversations on GW we'd like have already found other places to discuss the ship and hang out with fellow shippers, and keeping the 'discussion' thread alive isn't going to change that. It's not so much about a place to safely be negative for me - I find that's generally not that unacceptable on the other thread - as it was an attempt to have serious discussions. Yet, as it's still GW and restricted to GW rules, we'd still have all the issues present which caused many of us to leave the main thread in the first place. So, personally for me, I don't see a real use for the second thread in place of the main thread... And don't get me wrong, I still love GW and hang out here a lot. It's just not a place really conducive to indepths conversations about the Sam/Jack ship for a variety of reasons.

Is there anyone who - personally Right Now and not simply theoretically - can see a real use for the second thread? Because if I'm not mistaken, when Movie #3 (or anything future) comes out, we could always start a specific thread without spoilers for discussion of the new info. Or am I wrong?

Though again, if it's not a Big Deal to keep the second thread open, it might as well stay...
              i'll say this; as long as the main thread allows ship discussions, i'm going to continue to post in that thread exclusively. it's what i've been doing and will continue to do. i don't want this to come off aggressive at all, but i don't let anyone push me out of a thread.

when ppl lose tolerance for differing ideas -and especially differing moods- something special is lost. when i'm downish about the ship, i appreciate reading happy views because it can help me feel better. or if i'm feeling very positive, i can appreciate a more non rose colored glasses view. i like the yin and yang, but i'm a lover of debating.
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
                I think that keeping the thread shouldn't be about making/keeping the Shippers who want to leave or have left happy. (No offence, I love you all dearly. Do come back ). To me, it's about the Shippers who do post or lurk on GW on a regualr base... I'm glad there's other ways to have a serious discussion outside of GW (Cause well, variety and change of spices...), but I think it's only practical to keep the Discussion thread here, in case there are Shippers around who feel like discussing without interrupting the flow.
                On the ''big'' thread, we welcome a lot of newbies, and I would hate to see them run because they feel overshadowed by flashy posters, picspammers and overly Happy Hippies all the time.
                (And vice versa)
                i agree.
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
                  Jenn: We still have the episode of the week. And to be honest i tried to go in-depth disccusion about it the other week. But it was a discussion with me and oh yeah... me!
                  So yeah the normal: omg i love Sam/Jack together. I think they are cute in this moment. So married stuff is always there in the ship family thread but discussion is hard to get.
                  Maybe we can use the discussion thread to actually discuss stuff. And I mean with maybe a smaller group, start an in-depth discussion there.
                  The real time viewing can sill be in the other group but more in-depth discussion can then be there. I am sure I am not the only one who loves in-depth discussion. And wished there was more discussion.
                  I mean that was the reason why that thread started to begin with...to get more discussion.
                  It is just an idea though...

I for once would love the discussion thread to be more there so I can discuss more and not to have to go through loads of pages of pictures and all that. Yes it is fun from time to time but sometimes all I want is to read some good discussion or some good post about Sam/Jack.
                  i like reading the discussions too, but some of us (me) have done it a lot and have run out of steam for it. BUT, i love reading it, so go figure!

it would be nice to bring in some new voices to stir some discussions...
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

I'm starting to get the idea that two different sam and jack threads are needed.

so maybe we should discuss the idea of two different threads, how they will be different and unique and then how we'll come up with titles to reflect that
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

would more discussion take place if more people knew of the thread? those that are trying to have discussion in the family thread, what would happen if you took those attempts to the discussion one? might you get more participants?

Share your opinions please.
                      that's one of the reasons why i hope 'family' is taken out of the thread title, because, to me, it gives vibes of an already formed clique-like group. and like i said before, the concept of the thread makes you immediately a member of the group just because if you're a shipper and you post there, you already belong and fit in.

just an opinion. *hugs*
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                        I now understand.

I agree with what you, and APA are saying, and that I also miss the way the thread used to be, with a mixture of fun and discussion.

If the 'only positive' type of shipper was willing to scroll past the more 'negative' type of post, and allow both to co-exist in the one all-encompassing thread, then I would vote for just having one thread. There's a great big IF there, but the ship thread began as one great big thread, so I don't see why it can't go back to being one again.

I have now posted as being for two separate threads, and as being for one thread only. I am here to confuse everyone.
                        And that's different to normal.....how, My Lord?

*bows humbly*

Firstly can I say how great it is to see everybody here! There are a lot of people posting here that I've been missing on the Family Thread in the last few months. The crazy thing seems to be that we're all missing the same thing....not enough discussion in the Family thread!

The Family Discussion thread is (and always has been) a place where both S/J happiness and S/J worries can be discussed. Quite often in the same post Alongside penguins, shipper cookies, pic spams, vids & artwork. And that's what makes it such a wonderful place to be.

Sometimes though, the balance does shift, as Rachel said earlier; OT can take over and misunderstanding arise from time to time. But I think that if everyone tries to keep OT in the Lounge (rather than spoilered), adhere to the spirit of the new VS, and not take comments personally when shippers express different opinions, then I see no reason why the Pro and Family threads can't co-exist happily.

Yes, there are a few ifs in there, but isn't this a perfect example of what GW is trying to achieve with the VS? I'd personally like to give it a shot. Especially if it means more discussion coming back in the Family thread.

OTOH, I definitely do NOT want to see a repeat of the arguing that happened when the Pro- thread was first opened. That time was absolutely awful, even now I can't look back on it without feeling distressed and nauseous.

So perhaps we can try merging for a while, see how it goes? If it doesn't work out, then another purely discussion thread could be opened without the arguing that happened the last time.

I really, really dislike the idea of having separate "fluff/appreciation" and "discussion" threads. I think that would kill the Family spirit of the current thread completely. The family-ness is, imho, the best part of the S/J Ship Family Discussion Thread, and plays a large part in why there is a constant influx of newbies.

The name, how about Sam & Jack O'Neill Family Ship Discussion Thread....no wait, we're still waiting for the wedding & kids

My vote is for something like Sam Carter & Jack O'Neill Ship Thread - Discussion and Fun I'm still trying to think of a way to keep Family in it without the title being longer than the thread
                        Last edited by Oma-1; 20 March 2009, 05:48 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

what if one is a sam and jack thunk thread, emphasizing the pics and fun and the other is a discussion thread, emphasizing the talking?
                          but the current thread HAS all that already, and has for a long time.

we, the posters on the thread, make the thread what it is. if we want more discussion, *we* must try to make it happen. but i know it's hard when it might be only two ppl replying (or one and you talk to yourself ), but...
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
                            I'd love to nuke the overly OT posts and embrace everything else [...]
                            that's me in a nutshell.
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

I'm starting to get the idea that two different sam and jack threads are needed.

so maybe we should discuss the idea of two different threads, how they will be different and unique and then how we'll come up with titles to reflect that
                              I'd think what is now the "family" thread would be all-emcompassing: fluff (although I don't like that word), artwork, pics, captions, OT, and yes, discussion. Call it the "Jack O'Neill/Samantha Carter Ship Appreciation" thread. Maybe add a word like "universal," "global," or even eliminate the word ship entirely and call it "Appreciation of all things Jack O'Neill/Samantha Carter."

The other would be strictly for discussion. This is especially nice if it's a detailed talk where the non-discussion things would disrupt the flow of the discussion. Call it the "Jack O'Neill/Samantha Carter Ship Discussion" thread. (I don't think there are really any risks of anti's going in there.)

There would be discussion in both threads, but those who don't want all the rest don't have to take it. Personally, being somebody who *has* felt ostracized or ignored in the "family" thread for not being super-positive, I'd take any serious discussion to the discussion thread, but it wouldn't have to be that way for everybody. The all-encompassing thread would still be a place I'd visit, but a person who doesn't have the time to look at every single post wouldn't have to sort through six or seven pages of more fun stuff in order to see if anybody responded to their discussion post.

(Sorry to whoever said they wanted Sam first. Jack ranks her, so should come first IMO. <g>)

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                              that's one of the reasons why i hope 'family' is taken out of the thread title, because, to me, it gives vibes of an already formed clique-like group. and like i said before, the concept of the thread makes you immediately a member of the group just because if you're a shipper and you post there, you already belong and fit in.

just an opinion. *hugs*
                              I have to agree with Sally on this one. While "Family," to those of us already active in the thread, makes it feel more friendly and familial, to somebody new coming it, it might scare them away. Or, worse, think they can only come in if they know somebody else who is already in.
                              - Mary
                              SG1 needs it's Fifth Man - Why should we settle for less? Bring back Jonas Quinn!
                              Jack O'Neill would die for any member of his team. But there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter.

Comment

Guess it's my turn.

TBH, I don't really care. I guess I'm one of the ones fading away (while I'd say my S/J mojo was high, my thread/fandom mojo is at an all time low). Plus I'm one of the ones who've probably fallen way too many times for trolls who are spoiling for a fight so when people only come to post negative things it gets my dander up so I'm sure my lurking mode is probably better for the thread anyway. (Although the one time I was offered to buy a bridge for being so gullible as to believe TPTB were not out to get shippers was kinda funny considering my profession.) Anyway, my interest is naturally waning with the end of the show so I don't really get that into the discussions anymore. But all the fluff/gutter/artwork/picspam just isn't as good without some discussion substance to it. *shrugs* What can you do?

Anyway, to sum up, I don't think any changes should be made to the Family thread. Name it whatever, (although I don't think it should have fluff or fun in the title as that seems limiting), do whatever with the discussion thread, it was hardly ever active while I was here so I don't really feel qualified to say.

Not very useful post was it?
                                Last edited by Seahen; 20 March 2009, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X