This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
    Just to give some history on both of these threads. The S&J Family thread has over 12 archived threads with over 1000 posts each and one archived thread of over 37200 posts. The thread you all post in now is the 14th creation of the S&J Family thread.

The discussion thread is on its second creation and has one archived of over 10000 posts. So there is actually a lot of history for the Family thread as well as the discussion thread that many may not have been a part of but there are still a good majority of members that were part of those years
    It's nice to know we're both part of history, Tame.

All these threads were very active when the show was still airing, so we had plenty of things to talk about. (hence the vast amount of posts).

With there being nothing new to discuss at the moment, the 'family' thread continues, but has lost a lot of the discussion element. Posters come and go, and the current posters continue the thread in a different way, with a fluffy all-positive "Sam and Jack are together" feel to it.

Those of us that have posted our disappointment with various aspects of the ship in the family thread are now told that we 'bring the thread down'. This is where the other 'discussion only' thread plays its part. It is a thread where one could discuss our disappointment without anyone complaining.

This thread may not have as much traffic as the other, (again, mainly due to there being no new episodes), but also because many people will not know it exists due to it falling down the forum pages and being hidden amongst all the other ship/thunk threads. Perhaps if more folk realise it is there, then they may begin posting in it.

I would, therefore, like to keep both threads open.

We can have:

1. Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill ship family fluff and discussion thread (or some other name for the 'fun' stuff in this thread).

2. The Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill ship discussion and appreciation thread. I'd like 'appreciation' as part of the name to show that it is still a 'pro' ship thread.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      <snip>
      One suggestion that has been put forth is
      Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Family Fluff and Discussion
      Jack O'Neill/Sam Carter Ship Discussion

the former for the ship family, the latter for the more serious discussion that the other group prefers.

the shipper resort will get merged into one of the others, or closed and allowed to just drop down.

It just doesnt seem right to me to have one thread for the light talk and another for serious, I wouldnt want to joke and suppose funny shippy scenes on one thread then have to go to another to discuss deep things.

I really like how it is on the family ship thread with the pages of pic spam, supposed scenes, jokes, laughter. All very good things. And then sometimes, serious discussions and sad thoughts.

IMHO
      Last edited by Gategirl95; 20 March 2009, 11:48 AM.
      sigpic
      Made by Luvnjack... Thanks
      Spoiler:
      Proud to be an American

Comment

About the thread titles...
        Wouldn't the use of the word ''fluff'' in the title be a bit...
        like asking for a big devide?

I think I can be shoved in the box of Happy Poster/ Positive Penguin/ Fluffy Bunny, but I really don't think it's fair to imply that one can only make ''Fluffy and fun'' kinds of posts. The ones screaming that no one can be down or pessimistic are but few and do not per se voice the opinion of every Happy Poster in the Ship thread.
        If I for one, would be looking for things to look permanently joyfull and ''fluffy'' I'd... be on Mushrooms.
        (Or watch Mary Poppins, for those who don't like drug metaphores...)
        Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
        Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
          About the thread titles...
          Wouldn't the use of the word ''fluff'' in the title be a bit...
          like asking for a big devide?

I think I can be shoved in the box of Happy Poster/ Positive Penguin/ Fluffy Bunny, but I really don't think it's fair to imply that one can only make ''Fluffy and fun'' kinds of posts. The ones screaming that no one can be down or pessimistic are but few and do not per se voice the opinion of every Happy Poster in the Ship thread.
          If I for one, would be looking for things to look permanently joyfull and ''fluffy'' I'd... be on Mushrooms.
          (Or watch Mary Poppins, for those who don't like drug metaphores...)
          If the bolded part of your post is a reply to my post, first of all I am not 'screaming' anything.
          Secondly, many of the posters who did post their disappointment with aspects of the ship were made to feel unwelcome because it made the thread 'negative' and 'brought the thread down'.
          Thirdly, many of us 'downers' have stopped posting in the family thread so that folk can enjoy the ship without having to put up with our moans.

This is why I think continuing with the two threads would be helpful to all shippers.

If your post wasn't in reply to me......then just ignore this post.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
            I, personally, don't post in the "Discussion Only" thread because for me, it really is about getting into the ship in depth. It's about pure analysis of the ship in a more objective way and since there hasn't been anything new for the ship since Continuum, for me, I don't find there is anything to talk about. Obviously other people do and I would never want to take that way of discussion away from them. I also think that thread will be more active after the next movie comes out. Or so I hope anyway!

The Family discussion thread allows for more options. People (and you know who you are ) can run in, post "SOOO MARRIED!" and run out and be perfectly happy. Or post picspam, or ship missions or other generally less than serious things and no one is disgruntled about it because it's expected in there. There are sometimes serious chats that spontaneously arise amidst the fun, of course, but it is more about the fun.

Therefore, because there is a major tone difference (in my opinion) in the two threads, merging them will make someone unhappy. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually.
            Not to pick on you specifically, Amalthea, but this, for me, highlights the crux of the matter. Because once upon a time this was not how the Family thread was. It was a mixture of discussion and analysis and fun. It blended the ship with a little OT in a way that allowed people to get to know each other but did not overwhelm the overall topic at hand. And if things strayed off course, one way or another, a gentle reminder usually brought things around.

Somewhere along the way, that balance got lost.

Perhaps it was the end of the show. Perhaps it was the natural progression of things as members left and joined, for various reasons. I think Rachel is right in that much of what drives the thread is who is actively participating at any given time. And it's a chicken and the egg conundrum, really. Because...is there less balance because people have left...or have people left because there was no longer balance?

I'm just saying, the time was--at least in my nearly 2 years at GW--when a separate "discussion only" thread wasn't needed. It was all good on the Family thread, serious and fun alike.

However, if the general feeling is that the Family thread should now only be about light-hearted fun and that things like the Episode of the Week discussion and more in-depth analyses about characters and story arcs and creative decision making and such are in the way of that fun, then it seems logical to keep the separate thread.

I just miss the way it used to be.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
              If the bolded part of your post is a reply to my post, first of all I am not 'screaming' anything.
              Secondly, many of the posters who did post their disappointment with aspects of the ship were made to feel unwelcome because it made the thread 'negative' and 'brought the thread down'.
              Thirdly, many of us 'downers' have stopped posting in the family thread so that folk can enjoy the ship without having to put up with our moans.

This is why I think continuing with the two threads would be helpful to all shippers.

If your post wasn't in reply to me......then just ignore this post.
              No, not at all.
              To clarify...
              I meant to say that some of ''Us Happy People'' are the ones screaming everytime a ''downer'' says something unhappy. And that's what's bothering me. I know how and why people left/ are posting less, and that after one ''pessimistic'' voice, certain members were feeling picked at. And that just sucks.
              I think that there are many of us who don't mind reading the moans and that it's only a small, very vocal group who want the thread to be All Happy, All The Time.
              (And that's why I'm against the use of the word ''fluff'' in the title )

Sorry, I didn't feel like ignoring your post
              Last edited by DutchIndeed; 20 March 2009, 01:15 PM.
              Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic

Comment

what if one is a sam and jack thunk thread, emphasizing the pics and fun and the other is a discussion thread, emphasizing the talking?
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
                  Not to pick on you specifically, Amalthea, but this, for me, highlights the crux of the matter. Because once upon a time this was not how the Family thread was. It was a mixture of discussion and analysis and fun. It blended the ship with a little OT in a way that allowed people to get to know each other but did not overwhelm the overall topic at hand. And if things strayed off course, one way or another, a gentle reminder usually brought things around.

Perhaps it was the end of the show. Perhaps it was the natural progression of things as members left and joined, for various reasons. I think Rachel is right in that much of what drives the thread is who is actively participating at any given time. And it's a chicken and the egg conundrum, really. Because...is there less balance because people have left...or have people left because there was no longer balance?

I'm just saying, the time was--at least in my nearly 2 years at GW--when a separate "discussion only" thread wasn't needed. It was all good on the Family thread, serious and fun alike.

However, if the general feeling is that the Family thread should now only be about light-hearted fun and that things like the Episode of the Week discussion and more in-depth analyses about characters and story arcs and creative decision making and such are in the way of that fun, then it seems logical to keep the separate thread.

This brings up something interesting, is there any way that by blending the two threads that we can make it so it is like it used to be? I haven't been here that long so i don't know, but i'd be all for trying to get it back to how it used to be.

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
                  Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
                  Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
                    No, not at all.
                    To clarify...
                    I meant to say that some of ''Us Happy People'' are the ones screaming everytime a ''downer'' says something unhappy. And that's what's bothering me. I know how and why people left/ are posting less, and that after one ''pessimistic'' voice, certain members were feeling picked at. And that just sucks.
                    I think that there are many of us who don't mind reading the moans and that it's only a small, very vocal group who want the thread to be All Happy, All The Time.
                    (And that's why I'm against the use of the word ''fluff'' in the title )

Sorry, I didn't feel like ignoring your post
                    I now understand.

I agree with what you, and APA are saying, and that I also miss the way the thread used to be, with a mixture of fun and discussion.

If the 'only positive' type of shipper was willing to scroll past the more 'negative' type of post, and allow both to co-exist in the one all-encompassing thread, then I would vote for just having one thread. There's a great big IF there, but the ship thread began as one great big thread, so I don't see why it can't go back to being one again.

I have now posted as being for two separate threads, and as being for one thread only. I am here to confuse everyone.
                    sigpic

Comment

I now understand.

I agree with what you, and APA are saying, and that I also miss the way the thread used to be, with a mixture of fun and discussion.

If the 'only positive' type of shipper was willing to scroll past the more 'negative' type of post, and allow both to co-exist in the one all-encompassing thread, then I would vote for just having one thread. There's a great big IF there, but the ship thread began as one great big thread, so I don't see why it can't go back to being one again.

I have now posted as being for two separate threads, and as being for one thread only. I am here to confuse everyone.
                      If we could get it back to how it used to be then I'd vote for one big thread as well...and I think I just did what you did...voting for both of them

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
                      Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
                      Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

what if one is a sam and jack thunk thread, emphasizing the pics and fun and the other is a discussion thread, emphasizing the talking?
                        Would that mean that in the thunk thread, we'd be restricted to fun and fun alone?

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
                        This brings up something interesting, is there any way that by blending the two threads that we can make it so it is like it used to be? I haven't been here that long so i don't know, but i'd be all for trying to get it back to how it used to be.

Nope.
                        Like others have pointed out, the good old days were just different.
                        If we would want it to be the same (and many of us do), we'd have to change the attitude of the day, get a different variety of posters, get some news...
                        It's not in the posts alone, it's the Shippers
                        I like your attitude, though.

sigpic

Comment

I now understand.

*iz confused*

That is a pretty big if, isn't it? I my optimistic little heart wants to say "Yes! We can do that!" But, the fact we've all scattered seems to imply we really can't do that. I would love for the thread to go back to the way it was. There's just that if running around...

EDIT: Forgot to say, RE: Sky, that sounds like a decent proposition to me.
                          sigpic

Comment

I now understand.

I'm happy about that

And I think you nailed that one. If we're all going on and on about how gloomy/shiney/wrong everyone's type of post is, then we wouldn't be happy if we were to have seven different Ship threads.
                            I'd love to nuke the overly OT posts and embrace everything else, but that's just not the way it is at this moment.
                            So, yeah, I'd love to have one thread, but as long as I personally feel unable to post silly, or someone else feels unable to discuss, then hey, I think we are better off with two threads.

Gosh, were did it all go wrong?!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post

I don't feel picked on, but I had thoughts reading your thoughts never the less.

I totally appreciate the sentiment of missing the way things were. Had I known about Gateworld back then, I imagine I too would be wishing for the old days now, and the way the thread used to be. The thing about that is, though, the old days really aren't going to come back. The show is over. There's nothing new to talk about. I think that's why the fun and games have taken hold in the Family discussion thread.

That said, I think that's exactly why there ought to be a second thread for discussion only. I'm sure there are lots of people who do like to re-analyze the old episodes and just because I'm not one of them, I wouldn't want to take that away from them. Nor would I want those people to feel like they couldn't get the in-depth kind of discussion they want should the threads become merged amongst all the picspam and such.
                              sigpic

Comment

I'm not that much into the discussion in here, but I'm trying to follow it.(and if you don't mind write my thoughts down now)

TbH, I don't like that. I get the feeling then that I can't discuss in the one thread and in the other I can't have fun.

That is what I like about the thread...it can be both...and IMHO the last few days it is becoming both more and more again. The discussion is not that in depth, but that is because nobody continues with it. ...

So IMHO, I would like a thread where I can still have fun and discussions, I don't mind the often critical and pessimistic view on the ship..I think it's enlightening...

Please go on...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X