This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    MGM would not be able to trademark the word stargate -- that would also mean trouble for that book out there The Stargate Conspiracies which has nothing to do with the show.

MGM trademarked STARGATE (as a type character set) but has since been cancelled. This info may be relevant to you, SG1Ninr.

What font are you using for your phrases?
    It's likely, they filed the property infringement because you actually reference the show. They might not even have looked at the designs. Saw the reference and immediately assumed you were infringing on their property.
    Thanks Falcon Horus. I was informed that is was because I mentioned the show and characters directly. The font I'm using is called Baron. I was going to load an image, but the system is asking for a URL for some reason. My only recourse is to scrap anything Stargate related. I can repost them if I strip out anything related to the show. If they don't sell after that, then I'll just remove them altogether. Thank you for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
      Hey, SG1Ninr: You're welcome to start a thread on this if you want more feedback from the community. But in short I'd say that this is a tricky situation.

AFAIK the answer is no, MGM has not trademarked either of these phrases. However they do have an obvious interest in fighting market confusion. There are lots of third parties creating unlicensed shirts, mugs, ad infinitum using Stargate imagery. Some of it is obviously infringing, others try to skirt the line by invoking ideas from Stargate without using the word "Stargate" or copyrighted imagery. The average consumer may not be able to tell what's licensed and what isn't -- especially in the era of print-on-demand and also homemade Etsy products. So MGM may send its lawyers after anyone creating market confusion. Including mention of Stargate anywhere in the item title or description could add to that confusion.

There is a case to be made for "fair use," especially when an item is just text like "For cryin' out loud!" But that would have to be defended in court, and of course most small Etsy creators don't have the money or desire to defend their use in a courtroom.
      Makes sense. Thanks for your input!

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Ninr View Post
        I was informed that is was because I mentioned the show and characters directly.
        Just remove the reference -- I think most gaters will know the meaning of the words.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Since earlier this month I have been experiencing an issue whenever I post or edit something or delete an erroneous entry on threads in the SG-1 Characters & Relationships sub-forum of the GateWorld forum.

Posting a new reply or editing an existing reply on other threads elsewhere on the GateWorld forum does not result in me experiencing the error.

Whenever I attempt to do one of three things in my first paragraph of this post I get a "500 error" popup.

I first experienced this error when I tried to add a new reply to the Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread.

I posted reply number 20804 after resulted in the 500 error popup. I cleared the popup and tried again this resulted in a popup that said I just "posted a duplicate of somethnig less than 5 minutes ago".

I then tried posting a new entry and it resulted in the same 500 error.

I then gave up for the moment and waited to see what the thread would look like when I visited the forums next.

When I logged in again, I found a duplicate entry and all the other new entries had posted. I then tried to delete the duplicate and got the 500 error. I tried to edit the duplicate and again got the 500 error. I then paused all attempts again for a few hours.

Logging in again the duplicate was deleted and the edits were made.

All this time I was having no other problems of the forums. I then decided to document via screencaps (attached) the problem I was experiencing.

Here is me attempting to add a new entry to the Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread:

Here was the result:

I then tried on other threads on the SG-1 Characters & Relationships sub forum.

The result of an attemp at an edit in the Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0:

I then stopped again and logged off. Logging in some hours later resulted in this:

I then went over to the Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation thread tried an edit there:

And the result:

The only thing I have yet to try is starting a new thread in SG-1 Characters & Relationships.

My reason for posting is that in about a month's time a group I am a part of will start the 2023 Sam/Jack Shipmas thread.

Since I am in the earliest timezone I usually start the thread, post the initial entries(links to Sam/Jack content elsewhere on the net) and create and primary maintainer of the index listing all the links.

This requires being able to edit the index list to add new entries.

For the sake of completeness I am posting to GateWorld using a Win10 PC via a VPN as my ISP seems to be blocking anything originating from imgbox.com the hosting service I use.

I have shared my experience with the group I'm part of but I have not heard if they are experiencing the same errors I am. Thus I do not know if it is just me.​

Edited to correct a typo, both the initial post and edit went through as normal.
          No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
          It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Hi! I've e-mailed Darren with a link to your post to see if he or Greg can fix the problem.
            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Hello mods, looks like i reached my upload-limit for pictures... I wanted to make some kind of 3D-picture/video project and upload any progress news -including renderings here on my thread https://forum.gateworld.net/stargate...a-new-story-3d
              Is there a way to get more MB? I have no idea where i will end in a few month's but for now i planned to upload 1 or 2 renderings each weekend. I can reduce that of course, but to be not able in showing progress in visual is like a Stargate without DHD.

Comment

Changed your settings so that should fix the problem you've had!

Comment

@Bapuss

I couldn't find the Gabit thread where you suggested. Maybe it was moved or shifted due to added posts.

Comment

Hi!

No need to worry unduly.The thread's still in Stargate Fandom (page 4 on my view?)
                    Web sites, conventions, campaigns, art and more!

Comment

I’m having an issue with the Jack smilie, the one that’s not animated. When I go to post I see it, but when hit post reply it doesn’t show up. I should mention when I edit my post, I can see the code for the smilie, when click the button to show the code. I’m currently on an IPad, but I know it was doing the same thing when I had a working pc. I don’t know when this started, but I thought I would mention it, in case anyone else has had this issue too.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Might be a browser hiccup,or the forum cache.Hard to tell,really.

Edit: hitting the same snag. For now,try out the other Jacks and I'll try to find out if there's anything D can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                          Might be a browser hiccup,or the forum cache.Hard to tell,really.

Edit: hitting the same snag. For now,try out the other Jacks and I'll try to find out if there's anything D can do.
                          Thanks for passing the issue on. Sorry I didn't replied back sooner, but main pc died near the end of October, and I'm stuck using an iPad, until I can get my set up for the sims pc working, and use that until I'm able to get a new main pc.​ I have the replacement RAM for the sims pc, but I just haven't stuck it in there yet.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

I haven't posted in years, but I was wondering if something would be possible is there a way to extract all posts from a thread/threads, in to a document or something? It would be great because I have realised that alot of my old posts/writing work would be lost forever if gw goes down for some reason..is this possible? The wayback machine doesn't really seem to work for gw so just wondering if there was an archive of some sort. Look at the 4 fleets threads specifically.

Thanks
                            Tep
                            sigpic
                            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                            Stargate : Genesis |
                            Original Starship DesignThread
                            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post

Thanks for passing the issue on. Sorry I didn't replied back sooner, but main pc died near the end of October, and I'm stuck using an iPad, until I can get my set up for the sims pc working, and use that until I'm able to get a new main pc.​ I have the replacement RAM for the sims pc, but I just haven't stuck it in there yet.
                              You're welcome - though the smiley still doesn't show for me.Hopefully something fixable!

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                                I haven't posted in years, but I was wondering if something would be possible is there a way to extract all posts from a thread/threads, in to a document or something? It would be great because I have realised that alot of my old posts/writing work would be lost forever if gw goes down for some reason..is this possible? The wayback machine doesn't really seem to work for gw so just wondering if there was an archive of some sort. Look at the 4 fleets threads specifically.

Thanks
                                Tep
                                Hiya Tep!

I can't find any way to do all that,so I've e-mailed Darren with links to the fleet threads to see what he can suggest.

Comment

Working...
                                X