Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks hinky to me.That cap and blurb appears to be loading on behalf of Playwire and Admiral (insurance?)

Options to allow ads for the forum and decide what we allow etc come via a choice/options panel that comes up on the forum itself about halfway down the page.

Passed on to Darren!
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on this, gang. Playwire is our ad provider, so this is legit ... I think they just rolled it out without telling me it was coming.

For those who have seen the overlay asking you to enable ads:

(1) Do you only see this when using adblocker software?

(2) How often does it show up? Every time you visit the forum? monthly?

(3) Does it recur in the same browser session after you have dismissed it?

The nag is helpful in reminding more regular users that the site needs to serve ads to exist, but I want to minimize the impact on our browsing experience.
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
        Thanks for the heads up on this, gang. Playwire is our ad provider, so this is legit ... I think they just rolled it out without telling me it was coming.

The nag is helpful in reminding more regular users that the site needs to serve ads to exist, but I want to minimize the impact on our browsing experience.
        1. Yes.

2. It only shows up when I am on pages like the Gallery, Episode pages, Omnipedia, the main page of Gateworld, etc. Sometimes I can go to one of those pages and not see it. When I reload the page it usually to always disappears. I don't see it on the forum, because I allow ads on the forum side of Gateworld, since I am there more often. I have it set 50/50 for Gateworld because of some annoying ad that happened 2 or 3 years ago that basically popped everywhere on Gateworld, before it was taken care of, and I have left it that way ever since.

3. I can click Continue without supporting us and it disappears, but at some point it does show up again.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Well Darren, you're chasing away US viewers. The ads take up basically the whole GateWorld home page and separate pages. I use my desktop to view GateWorld. I'd pay for a subscription to get rid of ads. I want to stay here for the upcoming Amazon Stargate series. If the ad situation can't be fixed, then I can't be here. I've been a member since 1997 from the Delfi forums.

Comment

Playwire is pretty good, so long as the ad is a single banner at the top or just at the bottom of every page, but since 2006 I've used adblock software due to malware even the best adprovidors can miss. so to answer these questions in order

1: no actually I never got the overlay to enable ads execept when not logged in, and even then it went away after a refresh+log in

2 Just the once

3 It hasnt happened since that one time for me

I can understand the need for ads to keep a site running, but ads that autoplay or take up the screen, or evne open a popup when the browser itself has popups entirely disabled detracts from the browsing experience, {and again I use an adblocker personally to avoid malware, I lost 2 computers and 6 writing projects to malware {5 of those projects were safely recovered}}

Best part of al lthis is that none of the malware I got came from here so long ago, it was other sites

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
            "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
            "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Yes, and I have the following in place: AdBlock & AdBlock Plus -- in Chrome.
              Though some ads do filter through -- there's one at the top sometimes that I don't bother with unless it's a flashy one. It's not in the way.

I don't bother in Edge since I rarely use that browser for anything so ads allowed there, and Firefox is also equiped with those blockers so same there for Chrome.

It's been a while but I haven't been here as much as I used to. When the forum lost some of its pages, it showed up every time I opened the main site but I should add that I have my settings of browser set to delete all history and clear out cookies whenever I close my browsers. Hence why I probably saw it pop up each time I came here.

Nope, once dismissed, it stays dismissed until such time I close the browser and open it again.

Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I am sorry to bother you all, but I need help.
                I am trying to post in 'Smiley Count to 22,222' which requires images.
                • Upload failed due to your usergroup's upload quota. This file will require 11.1 KB but you only have 2.0 KB of 2.88 MB remaining.
                ​How do I get round this? Can quotas be increased?
                http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Hiya!
                  I think I fixed your problem by upping your attachment limit...but try it out and see if the new pics go through.
                  (Theoretically this now gives you up to 9 MB storage.)

Comment

Thank you Baggy, J1drYxt.gif
                    http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

You're very welcome!

Comment

This is a suggestion for Darren: If Gateworld ever has an outage or needs to be down briefly for an update, if there can be post made in the Community section of Gateworld's YouTube page. The message could, maybe, be posted on Facebook too, as that can somewhat be read by those not on Facebook. I am suggesting this, because Twitter, as of June 30, is now only viewable by those with an account, so those of us who are not on Twitter would not see the message.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Not to speak for Darren,but the Twitter situation might not be deliberate.

Yesterday I couldn't log out unless I cleared my cache ,cookies and browser - this morning that's fixed,so maybe the blind log-in issue will be up next?

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                            Not to speak for Darren,but the Twitter situation might not be deliberate.

Yesterday I couldn't log out unless I cleared my cache ,cookies and browser - this morning that's fixed,so maybe the blind log-in issue will be up next?
                            Sometime ago Twitter made it so when you scroll down far enough on someone's Twitter a login wall would pop up. I did find an extension, Breakthrough Twitter Login Wall, for Firefox and Chrome that I use for that, but now it's no longer in the Chrome Web Store. Earlier this year, Twitter made it so those without an account would face a login wall, if they clicked the show more button at the bottom of the What's Happening section, on the right hand side. This made it impossible for those not on Twitter, who liked to go there and look at stuff, to do that. Then, either around the same time or shortly after, those without an account could no longer click on anything (hash tags, etc.) in the What's Happening section without facing a login wall, with the exception of things like Brewers at Pirates, Yankees at Athletics, and other such sports things that gave a score and video clips for the game. Just this week, Twitter decided to take the search box that was in the upper right hand corner, and make it only viewable to those with an account. So, I figured this whole Twitter not viewable without an account, was just another thing to add to this long list of things happening with Twitter. Hopefully it's just a glitch.

Comment

*Nods*
                              One glitch after another there.
                              One minute you log in and it all works - the next it's "Something went wrong. Try reloading.​" or "Rate Limit Exceeded."

Comment

Turns out not to be glitches at all:
                                Elon Musk says verified accounts can read up to 6,000 posts a day while unverified ones are limited to 600.

Comment

Working...
                                X