This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post

(Not for me though.The end is nigh for me on social media,because it seems to be one pain after another to use happily.)
    Amen to that.
    Same here. Since about 6 months, I guess just about around the time Elon Musk took over Twitter, I decided to ditch everything: no more Facebook, no more Facebook Messenger, no more Twitter, no more Instagram, ... At first tried out Mastodon, but ditched it too after a few months, not a lot of appeal there.

We also made the deliberate choice here at home to not get any streaming too: no Netflix, Disney+, ... over here since almost a year. Hardly watch any TV anymore, unless the occasional Stargate-episode which I have on DVD of course

And guess what? I've gained so much time now to do other more relevant and interesting things
    I've been reading books, I've been studying, ...

Comment

Usually that happens when the "Remember Me" box is unchecked,or the cookies have been disabled or cleared for the forum.
      Were you using your regular device and browser or a phone?
      Everything checked since GW is one of the few sites which I never changed to don't-remember-I-was-here. I'm never on my phone when I use GW so that's definitely not it. Regular device yes -- Chrome.

Cookies are good, and are normally not cleared. I don't have my settings set to clear-all-when-I-leave. That's only used on anything related to my work laptop.

It also doesn't happen all the time -- like just now, nothing amiss so I'm thinking it's just a bug or some such.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by DrMckay View Post

Amen to that.
        Same here. Since about 6 months, I guess just about around the time Elon Musk took over Twitter, I decided to ditch everything: no more Facebook, no more Facebook Messenger, no more Twitter, no more Instagram, ... At first tried out Mastodon, but ditched it too after a few months, not a lot of appeal there.

We also made the deliberate choice here at home to not get any streaming too: no Netflix, Disney+, ... over here since almost a year. Hardly watch any TV anymore, unless the occasional Stargate-episode which I have on DVD of course

And guess what? I've gained so much time now to do other more relevant and interesting things
        I've been reading books, I've been studying, ...

Bet you've saved a lot of money as well as time and irritation with the content provided by the sites!
        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Everything checked since GW is one of the few sites which I never changed to don't-remember-I-was-here. I'm never on my phone when I use GW so that's definitely not it. Regular device yes -- Chrome.

Cookies are good, and are normally not cleared. I don't have my settings set to clear-all-when-I-leave. That's only used on anything related to my work laptop.

It also doesn't happen all the time -- like just now, nothing amiss so I'm thinking it's just a bug or some such.
          Weird glitch.Wish it could be fixed!

Comment

Forgot to say: it appears tweeting limits have either been lifted or I got lucky.No problems accessing Twitter and trendings yesterday or today.
            (Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself...or something else isn't about to go wrong!)

Still a blind log in, but if that's what it takes,then so be it.

Comment

Still a blind log in...
              What's a blind log in?
              Does it require a guide dog... ?

Comment

What's a blind log in?
                Does it require a guide dog Lemming... ?
                Fixed it for you sweeetie *Hugs Lemming and Baggie*

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

What's a blind log in?
                  Does it require a guide dog... ?
                  Ah! Sorry to cause confusion.

All it means is that some forums/sites have a login page but no display of the threads and posts so you have to sign up or log in "blind" before you can read and check out anything.

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post

Fixed it for you sweeetie *Hugs Lemming and Baggie*
                  *Leaves a plate of custard creams for you both to share*

Comment

Bet you've saved a lot of money as well as time and irritation with the content provided by the sites!
                    Oh definitely ;-)

Not a lot of content anyways these days on streaming too which could convince me to pay for it.
                    I haven't seen a movie or series that I would be interested in watching on Netflix, Disney+, ... in a couple of years, never really got a lot of value out of it.

A lot of filler-content on Netflix in my opinion, Marvel and Star Wars on Disney+ isn't all that great. Am a bit fed up with Marvel (always the same story it seems, heard a lot of negative remarks about the latest one too, what's it called, Secret Invasion?), Star Wars briefly got my attention with the mandalorian, but once season 2 started I quickly lost interest there too. Book of boba fett was a disaster too.

Dunno, that's my personal opinion of course, but I don't think those streaming providers are worth their money.

Who knows, IF (big IF...) a new Stargate appears on Amazon, that might convince me to pay again, but even then, I'll probably just pay for the duration it takes me to watch a season (or a movie?) and then cancel my subscription again.

Comment

All it means is that some forums/sites have a login page but no display of the threads and posts so you have to sign up or log in "blind" before you can read and check out anything.​
                      Ah...

Comment

I just happened to be on this page: https://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s9/prototype/

and noticed this (it's probably been like this for years):
                        TELEPLAY BY: William Waring
                        DIRECTED BY: Alan McCullough

which should be​ this:
                        TELEPLAY BY: Alan McCullough
                        DIRECTED BY: William Waring

I just thought Darren should know this, so he can fix it at some point.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
                          I just thought Darren should know this, so he can fix it at some point.
                          Very strange ... especially since it was directed by Peter DeLuise! All fixed.

You can always send me corrections at: [email protected]

Thanks!
                          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Hi. Need help with the phrases "For crying out loud" and "Gaters gotta Gate" - to your knowledge are these phrases trademarked by MGM? Some background on this question...I started an Etsy shop and I use these two phrases in designs...I do reference the show in the description of the shirts, so fans can find them. MGM filed an "Intellectual Property" infringement. The sad thing is, these were my most liked designs. I was getting ready to do a couple more - based on everyday used phrases...should I just give up and let it go? I placed this question here since I was hoping the founder of this site could offer me some insight or advice. TIA

Comment

Hey, SG1Ninr: You're welcome to start a thread on this if you want more feedback from the community. But in short I'd say that this is a tricky situation.

AFAIK the answer is no, MGM has not trademarked either of these phrases. However they do have an obvious interest in fighting market confusion. There are lots of third parties creating unlicensed shirts, mugs, ad infinitum using Stargate imagery. Some of it is obviously infringing, others try to skirt the line by invoking ideas from Stargate without using the word "Stargate" or copyrighted imagery. The average consumer may not be able to tell what's licensed and what isn't -- especially in the era of print-on-demand and also homemade Etsy products. So MGM may send its lawyers after anyone creating market confusion. Including mention of Stargate anywhere in the item title or description could add to that confusion.

There is a case to be made for "fair use," especially when an item is just text like "For cryin' out loud!" But that would have to be defended in court, and of course most small Etsy creators don't have the money or desire to defend their use in a courtroom.
                              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

MGM would not be able to trademark the word stargate -- that would also mean trouble for that book out there The Stargate Conspiracies which has nothing to do with the show.

MGM trademarked STARGATE (as a type character set) but has since been cancelled. This info may be relevant to you, SG1Ninr.

What font are you using for your phrases?
                                It's likely, they filed the property infringement because you actually reference the show. They might not even have looked at the designs. Saw the reference and immediately assumed you were infringing on their property.

Comment

Working...
                                X