This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pamplemousse of France
    In fact, it wasn't totally his fault. He wanted to use cryogenic engines for his N-1 rocket (N: Nositel = carrier), the motorist (Glushko) didn't want. Because there wasn't at that time a space agency like NASA, ASI or CNES, he wasn't able to impose his choise to Glushko. So he asked to an aircraft engine builder, Kuznetsov, to build the cryogenic engine. But because Kuznetsov didn't know how to build big engines, he built a small one, the NK-33. To allow the rocket to take off, 30 of these engines were needed. The delay caused by this story made the governement to cancel the static test of the first stage, because they were afraid the americans will send their men first. The NK-33 worked prodigiously well when it was alone, but the great number of engines caused vibrations that destroyed the rocket. Four flight were done, all failure:
    - February 21st, 1969: vibrations broke a LOX line, the stage burned and exploded at the 70th second.
    - July 3rd, 1969: at the moment of the lift off, a metallic part made the 8th engine LOX turbopump to explode. The rocket fell on its pad at the 18th second.
    - 1971: a the 7th second, the rocket began to destroy because of roll (roulis ?). The second stage began to destroy at the 48th second. The KORD (flight computer) cut all the engines, and the rocket crashed on its pad.
    - 1972: the lift off was good. At the 90th second, the KORD cut the six central engines of the first stage in accordance with the flight plan. But because the fuel pressure was applied on only 24 engines instead of 30, a surpressure destroyed a LOX line. The first stage began to burn and exploded and the 107th second. A few second before the first stage was released...

I know , was just pasting a summary from another website. I know because I've just finished reaching the book 'Space Race' based on the BBC series, great book. I highly recommend it to any interested in that topic.

Comment

Hey, I recognised that snippet of info in your previous post above, THX. I watched Space Race too. I'm not much of a book reader though, but I reckon I could get into the book you recommend.
      "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
        Nevermind. I'm not going to even bother. Please get back on topic.
        thought so.

anyway it's russian

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic
          Japan shows they are far more advanced than us. China? idk, they make cheap dollar store items, but they probably right about as advanced as us. Russia more advanced than the US? I think their up to par. No offence but we're talking about a nation that not even 20 years overthrew communism, and we all know human nature is "He im geting paid no matter what right? ill sit on my arse" There was no motivation, now their just like crap now we gotta do something, believe me id be the same way. So their upto par. maybe more advanced in some ways maybe less advanced. more thanlikely slightly less advanced i mean it is russia they had Serfdom in the 1900's, not to offend anyone lol but their bigger n a colder area takes more time to advance as a whole.

and yeah it sounds like itsa russian ship I kinda hopeso. I wanna see mor chekoff that guys the russian hammond.

it could be Bulgarian after that folk singer lol
          Russia not technologically advaced because it was a communist country (USSR) less than 20 years ago is a narrow-minded oppinion, no offence.
          The US developed the A-Bomb with non-american scientists. So was with the space program. The Russians they developed their space program with Russians, mainly. Did you know that the best program crackers are Russians? Just because you have democracy for more than 200 years, Coca-Cola for more than 100 years, MacDonald's for more than 60 years and Microsoft for more than 20 years doesn't make you technologically more advanced than the Russians. The Russia has economic issues not technological ones.
          Now on Korelev from SG-1. If the Russians can't afford building a Daedalus class warship they could build it in Taiwan (it's cheapper) or could make a joint venture with China (they have enough man power) and build dozens of Daedalus class warships at the same quality as the USS Daedalus.
          School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer
            Russia not technologically advaced because it was a communist country (USSR) less than 20 years ago is a narrow-minded oppinion, no offence. The US developed the A-Bomb with non-american scientists. So was with the space program. The Russians they developed their space program with Russians, mainly. Did you know that the best program crackers are Russians? Just because you have democracy for more than 200 years, Coca-Cola for more than 100 years, MacDonald's for more than 60 years and Microsoft for more than 20 years doesn't make you technologically more advanced than the Russians.
            Yes, the Americans are opportunist (no offence, this attitude proved to work very well) but the Russians have the habit to do things more simple. See the Soyuz spacecraft and the Apollo spacecraft. Apollo systems are several times more modern than Soyuz'. That don't prevent the Russian spacecraft to fly, and very well. Russian ships won't be cruder than American ones, they will be different, because the technical culture of the two countries is different.

The Russia has economic issues not technological ones.
            Yes, but 7 billions dollars (initial cost of the Prometheus projet) for an independant access to deep space and its richness isn't very expensive. Stop thinking (not you, but I saw other in GW who think this way) than because Russia is in financial crisis, it can't afford to build a battlecruiser. The price of a ship like that is nothing. Porsche made 6.395 billions US dollars (5.34 billions Euros converted with today's €/$ ratio) of sales turnover (chiffre d'affaire ?) and 1.796 billions USD of benefit (bénéfice ?)these last ten months ! And it's only a pivate company of medium power nation. And now these ships are cheaper to produce because they can be build in "mass production".

Now on Korelev from SG-1. If the Russians can't afford building a Daedalus class warship they could build it in Taiwan (it's cheapper) or could make a joint venture with China (they have enough man power) and build dozens of Daedalus class warships at the same quality as the USS Daedalus.
            Or they could build them with France .
            Please forgive my English, I'm French

"The act itself never varies. But each kiss carries with it a meaning all its own. It can convey a husband's eternal devotion... Or a wife's enormous regret... It can symbolize a mother's growing concern... Or a lover's growing passion... But whatever its meaning, each kiss reflects a basic human need; the need to connect to another human being. This desire is so strong it's always amazing when some people don’t understand it." Desperate Housewives, "One more kiss"

Comment

Yes, but 7 billions dollars (initial cost of the Prometheus projet) for an independant access to deep space and its richness isn't very expensive. Stop thinking (not you, but I saw other in GW who think this way) than because Russia is in financial crisis, it can't afford to build a battlecruiser. The price of a ship like that is nothing. Porsche made 6.395 billions US dollars (5.34 billions Euros converted with today's €/$ ratio) of sales turnover (chiffre d'affaire ?) and 1.796 billions USD of benefit (bénéfice ?)these last ten months ! And it's only a pivate company of medium power nation. And now these ships are cheaper to produce because they can be build in "mass production".
              Not to mention Col. Chekov's boasting during 'Disclosure' about leaving the dangerous & expensive research and prototyping to the Americans, and then acquiring the plans and producing the ships at a fraction of the cost. Considering that was a good 3 Seasons [Years] ago, it's about bloody time the Russians get their first vessel up.
              Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
              Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
              Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
              - Serenity

Comment

Since we have all this speculation of the Korolev, here is my take based on your conversations and previous episodes. Remember, this all hypothetical.

1. Korolev is most likely a Russian ship, a first of its class built by the Russian Federation, with possible assistance with the United States. It could be a U.S. built ship, but I doubt it, base on the name.

2. Korolev will most likely be a Prometheus class ship or a variant based off the Prometheus. Some say it might be a Daedalus class, All we know is the Russian Federation was given plans to the Prometheus class in Season 6 and they have had 3 years to construct this craft. Also the Americans most likely will not giveup there most advanced designs to any nation,Since the Americans are developing 2nd generation tech, they will most likely give plans to there 1st generation tech to other nations.

3. As for tech, it is unknown that the U.S. will allow other nations have Asgard tech. Maybe Asgard teleporter tech and sensors. As for Transgalactic hyperdrive and shields, I dont know. I would think after capturing the Alkesh and access to some tech from the Free Jaffa Nation I would say they would get hyperdrive tech based Goa'uld Technology which is Interstellar only and shield technology. The rest of the tech is advanced Russian technology. w/standard gravity and inertia systems.

If we were to look at what the other nations can provide; it is possible that those nations (Season 6: Disclosure), Great Britian, France and China may get the X-302 and X-303 plans.

It could theoretically possible that these nations can build ships. The most likely scenario for these nations might be smaller capital or support ships, i.e. Capital Ships ranging from a Corvette to Destroyer class, Support craft ranging from a Scout/Shuttle to Heavy Transport. Technologies that were given to the Russians would apply.

All this is speculative and is based on present political thinking in the real-world and the stargate universe
                Last edited by Riv; 07 February 2006, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Eps like 'Full Alert', prove why the SGC will not give them their best tech.

Sure they had plans for the original design of 'Prometheus', when it was using vastly inferior Asgard tech. It''ll obviously be different that Prometheus, since it's being built by another country. Seeing that they don't have off-world bases & resources. Then any off-world Russian teams have to come back via the SGC's gate. It'll have an overall slightly different look & Ruaain weapons installed, but IMO it'll be instantly recogniseable like Prometheus.

Daedalus claass cruisers require Asgard's to helop operate & oversee the tech on board.

Daedalus, has Hermiod.

Odyssey, will have Kvasir.

Prometheus didn't have any, Korlelev won't have any either.

I see the writers bringing it in as a homage to 'Prometheus', one last time before it goes.

Comment

Im gonna say Russian, as they have the plans for the prommie class and the name is Russian. They are easily as advanced as any other nation (well, Japan has us all beat, but arethey in on the Stargate programme?) Im seeing a Prommie looking ship but it will blow up anyhow 'cause, to quote Docto Who "you know what they say baout Earth workmanship"
                    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Or they could build them with France .
                      And yet name it ...Korolev? not ...Alsace, Vercingetorix, Napoleon or some other hystoric place/figure that the French would be proud of? very un-french of the French to name their FIRST interstellar ship after some Russian guy?
                      School is overrated.

Comment

And yet name it ...Korolev? not ...Alsace, Vercingetorix, Napoleon or some other hystoric place/figure that the French would be proud of? very un-french of the French to name their FIRST interstellar ship after some Russian guy?
                        Not the Korolev. But another one. Napoleon is good, or Concorde, Diamant (means "diamond", our first orbital rocket), Asterix, or... the "Pamplemousse of France" (for people who don't understand french "pamplemousse" means "grapefruit")

"The act itself never varies. But each kiss carries with it a meaning all its own. It can convey a husband's eternal devotion... Or a wife's enormous regret... It can symbolize a mother's growing concern... Or a lover's growing passion... But whatever its meaning, each kiss reflects a basic human need; the need to connect to another human being. This desire is so strong it's always amazing when some people don’t understand it." Desperate Housewives, "One more kiss"

Comment

Not the Korolev. But another one. Napoleon is good, or Concorde, Diamant (means "diamond", our first orbital rocket), Asterix, or... the "Pamplemousse of France" (for people who don't understand french "pamplemousse" means "grapefruit")
                          Concorde.... it crashed a few years ago, and now the name is jinxed, sorry.
                          What about Picard? (kidding)
                          and about your signature if it's French wouldn't be "Noire"?
                          and as for the joint venture the German one is more likelier.
                          School is overrated.

Comment

But it is still the best plane ever built.

The Black Diamant is (would be) a franco-british ship. Take a look there to understand the name: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=23377

and as for the joint venture the German one is more likelier.
                            Why not... but I can't name it, I don't speak a word of German. I have enough to do with French, English and hieroglyphs.

Comment

What about Picard? (kidding)
                              and as for the joint venture the German one is more likely.
                              How about just "Fifi?"
                              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                                How about just "Fifi?"
                                Too much literary

Comment

Working...
                                X