Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gate Alliance Treaty Organization (GATO)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate Alliance Treaty Organization (GATO)

I've said on a few threads that I feel that the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) would be the best organization to have control of the Stargate. My argument is based on the fact that many member-states of the International Oversight Advisory (IOA) are either members of NATO, or partner countries with NATO. Also, since the United States of America currently controls the gate, NATO would be the international organization that they would be the most comfortable with since they wield so much influence, and only their closest allies are members.

The primary issue with NATO controlling the Stargate is that it, by definition and geographic restrictions, excludes important IOA members such as Japan, Russia, China, Australia, New Zealand, etc. Since it is unlikely that NATO could easily be significantly reformed to be able to include this countries, I now propose that a new organization be created around the Gate Alliance Treaty...GATO (pronounced Gate-O, not Gaht-O, like a cat ).

Since all IOA member-states are also signers of the Gate Alliance Treaty, no nation would be excluded. The foundation of the Gate Alliance Treaty Organization should be based upon the principles of what made (and continues to make) NATO such a successful and resilient alliance. Maybe NATO's current infrastructure could be transformed into GATO, which would expedite the process, and help retain the institutional norms and values that NATO has established over the past 60 years.

I want to base this alliance on NATO, because it is the most successful alliance in history. It has lasted for over half a century, and continues to thrive even though the threat it was initially created to confront has passed. Not only has it survived, it has grown! The membership has almost doubled since the end of the Cold War, and the creation of the NATO Response Force (NRF) and the reforms of the Prague Summit have shown that NATO is capable of adapting to new roles and new missions (such as out-of-area operations in Afghanistan as the head of the International Security Assistance Force).

Though NATO is a military alliance, it has also become a political organization, and a unifying institution. If GATO could exhibit these same qualities, I think Earth's govenments could have an unprecedented level of cooperation, especially when it came to planetary defense.

The IOA Joint Committee could become the Gate Alliance Council (GAC)...okay, maybe "gak" would be a bad idea...yeah, we can just call that the IOA.

What do you all think? Could GATO really work? Any suggestions about how to make it happen?

For more information on NATO, visit their website:
    http://www.nato.int/
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

despite the fact that i find politics a pure and insatable evil strong enough to rival Satan, i find GATO to be very sound.... considering the the current animosity the IOA has toward both Dr. Weir and the SGC and the total lack of faith in the USAF, as portrayed thus far in S10, GATO appears the be a viable and permanant solution to all admistrative problems.... as for how to come about it's inseption.... that will require a lot of tactile planning.... not exactly my strong suit.... though it might be wise to apprise NATO of the current situation and branch off GATO slowly... this course of action will hopefully influence and mold GATO to the standards we aspire for, if that makes sence....
    I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
    sigpic

Comment

pronounced G-AHHH-TO (cat in spanish)
      A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Originally posted by Ayan
        ...though it might be wise to apprise NATO of the current situation and branch off GATO slowly...
        Since most NATO members are members of the IOA, I'd say it was a safe bet the North Atlantic Council is aware of the Stargate Program at this point. Thanks for posting.
        Originally posted by GreyFox
        pronounced G-AHHH-TO (cat in spanish)
        LOL!! No, no...Gate-O!
        Last edited by Major Tyler; 22 July 2006, 04:19 AM.

Comment

I think that's a great idea, I just don't like the name.

ISF sounds much better.
          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Gatito !!!
            Hallowed are the Ori !!!
            Follow the path of the Enlightment !
            Why Sg1 !!?? Why not me!!?? Why !!??

Comment

Cool idea
              sigpic
              Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Originally posted by mckaychick
                Cool idea
                Thanks.

I'm getting my Master's degree in International Affairs, with concentrations in International Organizations and Alliance Studies, so I know quite a bit about these kinds of things. I'm such a nerd!

Comment

I like the acronym.

They should go ahead and impliment something like you described in the show. It wouldn't change much of anything story-wise, except for a slight increase in international personnel in Atlantis and the SGC.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                    I like the acronym.

They should go ahead and impliment something like you described in the show. It wouldn't change much of anything story-wise, except for a slight increase in international personnel in Atlantis and the SGC.
                    Certainly...the goal isn't to radically change how the gate is run, just who can participate and in what capacity. As a powerful GATO member, the U.S. would still have a lot of influence (so they wouldn't really feel like they were giving up the gate...just sharing it) and the Stargate could still be housed at Cheyenne Mountain and be commanded by General Landry. The primary difference would be that more international personnel would be directly involved in running the facility and making final command decisions.

If you're concerned that the U.S. would not allow Cheyenne Mountain to become an international base due to NORAD also being there, it looks like the new U.S. Northern Command is taking over NORAD's role anyway, so it might be disbanded. Stargate Command could have the whole mountain to themselves!

Comment

And it would certainly be nice to have a larger pool of troops to choose from, so that we're not always just sending out Americans to die. Okay, that sounds callous, but speaking as someone who has lost family members who were in the military, it'd be nice if a few other nations helped out in the defense of the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Joshua Talon
                        And it would certainly be nice to have a larger pool of troops to choose from, so that we're not always just sending out Americans to die. Okay, that sounds callous, but speaking as someone who has lost family members who were in the military, it'd be nice if a few other nations helped out in the defense of the planet.
                        understandable.... has anyone noticed that with the exception of the Russian team at the SGC, all military personel in both projects are Americans?? i mean, sure it reafirms the US influences and power, but if our international allies want be apart of the program soo much, then why don't we give them small militial freedom? we've enough lost enough great soldiers, and few civilians, over the years
                        I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
                        sigpic

Comment

...if our international allies want be apart of the program soo much, then why don't we give them small militial freedom?
                          My assertion is that GATO would be an excellent medium to provide exactly that, in a way that would be acceptable (and fair) to all parties. It is fair that the U.S. have the most influence due to them actually possessing the gate and responsibly using it for so long, but it is also fair that the rest of the planet reap the benefits (and share in the responsibilities) that come with the Stargate Program.

Comment

understandable.... has anyone noticed that with the exception of the Russian team at the SGC, all military personel in both projects are Americans?? i mean, sure it reafirms the US influences and power, but if our international allies want be apart of the program soo much, then why don't we give them small militial freedom? we've enough lost enough great soldiers, and few civilians, over the years
                            One of the nice things about the current situation is that the other nations involved minimize risk.

The US is paying Russia to use their own Gate, US tax-payers are paying for BOTH programs and the nations involved get the benefits of all the risks the US is taking. Like Chekov said in "Disclosure" the US takes all the risk, then hands over the 302 and 304 plans so other nations can build them in half the time at a fraction of the cost.

I don't know why foreigners are so pissed that a show produced in Canada by a US company about American military personnel is composed, primarily, of American characters. It'd be like me being pissed off that there are never Americans in Doctor Who.

Comment

One of the nice things about the current situation is that the other nations involved minimize risk.

The US is paying Russia to use their own Gate, US tax-payers are paying for BOTH programs and the nations involved get the benefits of all the risks the US is taking. Like Chekov said in "Disclosure" the US takes all the risk, then hands over the 302 and 304 plans so other nations can build them in half the time at a fraction of the cost.
                              This is a good example of how GATO would benefit the U.S. Other Terran nations would share the risk more fairly (but not disproportionately), rather than simply taking hand-outs from the U.S. without doing the work.
                              I don't know why foreigners are so pissed that a show produced in Canada by a US company about American military personnel is composed, primarily, of American characters. It'd be like me being pissed off that there are never Americans in Doctor Who.
                              I too wonder about that, but that particular conversation is taking place in the following thread:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=29893

Comment

Working...
                              X