This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
    I'll always watch what the Stargate guys do and then decide if I like it or not.

It was interesting to hear some of the episodes that BW really didn't like...Emancipation, I can understand, because it is just far too 'I am woman; hear me roar' (although I find it more watchable now then I did on first watching) but I loved Hathor (which was 'I am woman; hear me roar' but in a much better way) and Seth which just has so many great Jacob-y moments...Space Race, I can kind of understand too though despite Teal'c and Jack not wanting to disappoint Major Carter .
    I agree here, I found it nice to hear that he didn't like some of his writing on screen as well...to hear that also he writes things that he doesn't like.
    Emancipation, I understand it, but I must say I loved the Sam fighting scene in it.
    Hathor, just normal good episode...only some of the things in it I didn't like!
    Seth, I had no problems with that episode, and like you say, great Jacob moments.
    Space Race, if you cut out those commentary dudes in it, it's a good episode...certainly to see Sam from the different side...having fun...in her way.
    sigpic

Comment

Wow, I'm away one day and I miss the Q&A!!! So I feel I'm coming rather late to the squee party here, and you've all said pretty much everything I thought, but basically a big honkin' YAY and much excitement We got our subtle nod - the penguins are with the writer And Martin will be directing (which, as someone pointed out, is a good sign for Amanda too since it means no conflict with Sanctuary ), and it's definitely on the way and definitely Jack-centric. Awesome!

On the other stuff, I was disappointed to see so much snark and outright rudeness about SGA and SGU - way to bite the hand that feeds you. I felt really sorry for Brad having to wade through all that. And I'm not really disappointed to hear there'll be no Vala - which also makes me think this is going to be a good 'classic SG1' movie, and as much more of a fan of the classic stuff than the newer SG1 I'm pretty happy with that Although I can imagine a lot of people are very not happy about it. Oh well, can't please everyone, and I think this one is going to be pleasing the Jack fans and the shippers - it is after all our last chance probably. Yeah, things are still looking pretty positive I reckon
      Last edited by josiane; 03 January 2009, 04:06 AM.
      sigpic
      Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by DominaTemporis View Post
        Very OT - HELP!

Spoiler:
        Uhm, sorry to bother you with this, but is there anyone who knows how long is a 40 mins script? Because I have to write (at least) a one hour script out of a short story, but I have no idea how many pages!! If anyone knows... please
        Thanks!
        OT response:
        Spoiler:

Domina a script page equates to roughly 1 minute on screen so 40 mins is around 40 pages. That's going on a basis of around 60/40 : words/action. Hope that helps, any more questions then hollar!

Comment

Afternoon Ship Family. Happy 2009 too, since I haven't been here a few days (and, boy, have you racked up some pages!)

I've missed the bulk of the discussion about the BW questions but I did read them last night. Great stuff. He's such a sport putting up with all that crap about SGU and SGA's cancellation. I can understand how some might be upset about SGA's demise and have reservations about SGU but there's some right mentalists out there who clearly don't understand or appreciate exactly what these people do do is nothing short of bloody miraculous sometimes!
          Ages ago someone here on the ship family thread predicted Brad's answers about the ship/movie #3 would be fairly vague and...yep, whoever you were, you were spot on because vague is about right. No direct confirmation of anything shippy... bah! Not that I was actually expecting BW to come out and say "oh yeah, movie #3 opens with Sam and Jack on honeymoon..." or anything like that but, one can dream! I think there was enough suggestion there (especially Jenn's penguin question) to give us hope for good stuff and the fact Martin is directing....awesome! I remain hopeful and optimistic.
          As for the name of the movie... I love the suggestions here but you know I'm thinking of emailing and asking for a plot synopsis so I have a good basis to think of suitable names. either that or I might just ask please nothing with a double U in it as it makes my eyes ache to look at!

Regarding Vala;

Spoiler:

I was sort of expecting that as I remember a while back on GW reading TPTB suggest she wasn't an integral character in their eyes. You could liken her to Jona Quinn I guess. He was only around for one season and a couple of episodes either side and yet, we don't have him in all the movies. It would be a shame for the D/V ship but, frankly, meh! I don't care for that enough, nor have I invested 12 years into watching that develop so it's not going to hack me off as much as no S/J ship would. I did like Vala's character though and having featured her in 2 movies already I hope they at least explain what she's up to instead?

Anyway, slightly OT but I am sigless at the moment.
          I have no photoshop on my shiny new laptop (yet anyway; Photoshop CS on the way though) and my back is too chronically bad to sit at my PC (where I do have the resources) for any length of time so it'll have to wait until I'm better. I feel all kind of naked without a sig though!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post

[COLOR="Indigo"]*tackle hugs Anne*

Post more. Lurk less...

You know you want to...

EDIT: Oh, and in my excitement, I forgot the one really good, awesome, new piece of info in the whole interview (except for confirmation that some fans are insane)... MW is directing *really dies happy*
            *iz duly tackled flat*

(You needed confirmation that some fans are insane? After all this time?)

Originally posted by jumble View Post
            I'm not a Brad lover, don't get me wrong, but surely after the years of hard work he's put in he deserves more respect than he was shown there? He's done a good job of SG1 and SGA, why should people assume that SGU won't be just as good?

Well, I think the idea was generated after the initial press releases for SGU which inferred the show was being targeted as a younger demographic and then compounded by the character casting descriptions that emphasised youthful twentysomethings. But I agree. Wait and see. That's what I intend doing.
            But.. you mean.. you can't tell what it's going to be like without watching it?! But everyone else can!

I'm hoping against hope that the really horrific comments about it being a "young" cast were purely from the promos (which, honestly, didn't sound promising) and not submitted after Robert Carlyle was announced as ship's doctor (although I fear for him.. Sottish doctors on Stargate never do well). Because seriously, for crying out loud, the guy's 47. And well-established and has been in Oscar-nominated films. And awesome. And was in The Full Monty (and the BBC news website still has him in the running for 11th Doctor, the daft idiots).

(Actually, the thing that got me most excited about SG:U - apart from Carlyle - was the mention Brad made of them trying to go back to the concept, big-question-sci-fi episodes, which, for me, is real sci fi rather than the US-army-in-space)

I'll always watch what the Stargate guys do and then decide if I like it or not.

It was interesting to hear some of the episodes that BW really didn't like...Emancipation, I can understand, because it is just far too 'I am woman; hear me roar' (although I find it more watchable now then I did on first watching) but I loved Hathor (which was 'I am woman; hear me roar' but in a much better way) and Seth which just has so many great Jacob-y moments...Space Race, I can kind of understand too though despite Teal'c and Jack not wanting to disappoint Major Carter .
            I think the problem with Hathor always has been, and always will be, that if they'd stayed true to its canon then the reproduction of the Goa'uld would forever have hampered them. Ignoring the fact that they raped Daniel - literally - Hathor (the episode, not the Goa'uld) says that in order for a Goa'uld to reproduce the female needs a human male to create human/Goa'uld hybrids. And yet, in other parts of canon, Klorel is the son of Apophis and therefore - presumably - the offspring of two Goa'uld in ways I don't want to think about (although its important to differentiate that from the harcesis, which is the human offspring of two hosts, with Goa'uld genetic memory).

For me, at least, the episodes that were below par in earlier seasons had solid concepts and poor execution in various ways (Emancipation and Hathor, for example); whereas the ones that fell flat in later seasons had poorer concepts (the basic plot of Space Race never actually made much sense to me)
            sigpic
            Stuart: “You’ve done nothing, Vince. You go to work, you go for a drink. You sit at home and watch cheap science fiction. Small and tiny world. What is there…that’s so impressive about that? What is there to love?”
            Vince: “Yeah.”
            Stuart: “…It was good enough for me.”

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
              On the other stuff, I was disappointed to see so much snark and outright rudeness about SGA and SGU - way to bite the hand that feeds you. I felt really sorry for Brad having to wade through all that.
              I found it interesting BW chose to post so many of the questions which were so ignorant and viscious. Trying to put up a mirror, or to show he's really not taking it personally?
              Originally posted by Caladria View Post
              (You needed confirmation that some fans are insane? After all this time?)
              Not really *sigh*. It's just.... dissapointing... to see folks sinking once more to expectations. The way things and concepts get spun through a fandom until they're considered more real than reality will never cease to amaze me. Of course, BW's staunchly denying much of it ever happened (which I'm sure is true) makes me glad I didn't spend more time on my rumor that Janet was coming back in Continuum. Every fan might have believed it, but it wouldn't have made it true
              Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
              Ages ago someone here on the ship family thread predicted Brad's answers about the ship/movie #3 would be fairly vague and...yep, whoever you were, you were spot on because vague is about right. No direct confirmation of anything shippy... bah! Not that I was actually expecting BW to come out and say "oh yeah, movie #3 opens with Sam and Jack on honeymoon..." or anything like that but, one can dream! I think there was enough suggestion there (especially Jenn's penguin question) to give us hope for good stuff and the fact Martin is directing....awesome! I remain hopeful and optimistic.
              That was me, exactly because I didn't expect a straight answer to a straight question, but I thought we might get a decent answer to a tangential question. Which we did , and which rather supported IMHO some hints we'd gotten earlier from JM.
              But.. you mean.. you can't tell what it's going to be like without watching it?! But everyone else can!
              Honestly. Being a fan of both SGA and SG1 and, in fact, Outer Limits for the quality of storytelling, I can say I'm expecting, despite how horrendous parts of the shows concepts look which have been disclosed so far, to like it. It's seems bizarre to me that folks who seem to be claiming to have enjoyed the storytellers work so far are convinced so quickly they can't take a concept and run with it when all my experience tells me the opposite. Because the track record of the people making it - the storytellers themselves - tells me they can probably write a good story about people stuck in a tin can with nothing to do but stare at the sides for 44 minutes.

I think they may actually done that before, and I seem to recall enjoying it. So. Yeah.

In fact, hubs my 'average viewer' when I told him the concept, said: "Sounds like the characters are too young, and the idea seems done to death. But what do you expect on Scifi? Still, if the guys who made the other Stargates are making it, it's probably going to be good." I suspect that's not far, once again, from how most people outside fandom will react. And that's from a 40-something, not a 20-something.
              (Actually, the thing that got me most excited about SG:U - apart from Carlyle - was the mention Brad made of them trying to go back to the concept, big-question-sci-fi episodes, which, for me, is real sci fi rather than the US-army-in-space)
              Well,that's it exactly. That's what gives me the most hope. Cause I have a sneaky suspicion it's the network suits who are big on 'younger cast' as farced in 200, and if they're obsessed with that and leave BW and the rest alone to write good stories within those parameters, I think we'll be okay and it will still end up being one of the best shows on TV.

Off to watch DW with the family Later....

Comment

The way things and concepts get spun through a fandom until they're considered more real than reality will never cease to amaze me. Of course, BW's staunchly denying much of it ever happened (which I'm sure is true) makes me glad I didn't spend more time on my rumor that Janet was coming back in Continuum. Every fan might have believed it, but it wouldn't have made it true
                If only every time you said, "I don't believe in rumours," one died (or maybe there's just too many people clapping their mouths and pasing them on?)

Cause I have a sneaky suspicion it's the network suits who are big on 'younger cast' as farced in 200, and if they're obsessed with that and leave BW and the rest alone to write good stories within those parameters, I think we'll be okay and it will still end up being one of the best shows on TV.
                I think you could be right... every interview I've seen with a UK writer mentioning US networks, they've been less than complimentary about the level of interference (Terry Pratchett, who got told to lose the Death character as the US wasn't ready for Death as a sympathetic character - six months before Bill and Ted came out; Nick Parks, who got told to make Wallace and Gromit "cooler"; Stephen Moffatt, whose Coupling flopped in the US after "unprecedented network involvement")

Which makes me wonder what the poor SG writers have to deal with on a daily basis and accept as normal.

Off to watch DW with the family Later....
                11th Doctor.. announced today! *is waiting in anticipation* Roll on 5.35pm
                sigpic
                Stuart: “You’ve done nothing, Vince. You go to work, you go for a drink. You sit at home and watch cheap science fiction. Small and tiny world. What is there…that’s so impressive about that? What is there to love?”

Comment

11th Doctor.. announced today! *is waiting in anticipation* Roll on 5.35pm
                  Not enough squee - I can't wait to see who lands it. Would LOVE to see James Nesbitt on TV regularly again, and I still have a crush on him from Cold Feet. He's described it as "career suicide" but I still harbour hope...!

Comment

I too wonder how they manage to get such good stories to the screen with constant interference from the Networks..

Terry Pratchett OT
                    Spoiler:
                    Terry Pratchett was told to lose 'Death'?????? But he's the best character there! I love all the Discworld stories, but most especially the ones with Death in. It just wouldn't have been the same without him!

Comment

Originally posted by Solo View Post
                      Not enough squee - I can't wait to see who lands it. Would LOVE to see James Nesbitt on TV regularly again, and I still have a crush on him from Cold Feet. He's described it as "career suicide" but I still harbour hope...!
                      DW OT:
                      Spoiler:
                      Personally I'm keeping every available digit crossed for Paterson Joseph...
                      sigpic
                      Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

I too wonder how they manage to get such good stories to the screen with constant interference from the Networks..

Terry Pratchett OT
                        Spoiler:
                        Terry Pratchett was told to lose 'Death'?????? But he's the best character there! I love all the Discworld stories, but most especially the ones with Death in. It just wouldn't have been the same without him!
                        *giggles* Drops fic recc. Runs off...

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                          DW OT:
                          Spoiler:
                          Personally I'm keeping every available digit crossed for Paterson Joseph...

DW OT:

Spoiler:
                          Yeah, and I've seen a leak which indicates Paterson was offered it and accepted back in November, but I'm still hopeful - /loves James Nesbitt

Comment

That was amazing, thanks for the rec

Comment

Terry Pratchett OT
                              Spoiler:
                              Even better, the Discworld they were looking into adapting at the time was Mort.

Figure that one out if you can.

Originally posted by Solo View Post
                              The problem is, it's rumoured to be every British male between 30 and 60 with an Equity card (although a nice rumour I heard this morning: Martin Freeman - Arthur Dent as the Doctor! Though Paterson Joseph appears to be a front-runner, too... although James Nesbitt - and Stephen Moffat has worked with JN before, on Jeckyl... I wonder if they'll go for a complete unknown, though - DT had only really done Blackpool, Casanova and Harry Potter before DW...)

Oh, you think you're so clever, reccing my fic... *eyeroll* (quick! Hide it! It's gen!)
                              sigpic

Comment

*snip*

EDIT: Oh, and in my excitement, I forgot the one really good, awesome, new piece of info in the whole interview (except for confirmation that some fans are insane)... MW is directing *really dies happy*
                                Guess we can stop with the MOSFAI campaign. (Member Operation Some Fans are Insane). Although I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all the plates I made with ketchup and mustard smilie faces.

*Smilie by Mala

Comment

Working...
                                X