Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
    DEM, Scari's accent struck me as being a quite proper British accent.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Thank you, Strix! Such fun I shall have...

posh posh poshposhposhposhposh tosh poshposhposhposhposh !

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
      Wow mini, that is truly AMAZING!
      thanks so much for including us
      I second that. Amazing job mini and thanks for allowing us to contribute!!!

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
        OK. Until I can figure out the privacy details, what I've decided to do is post a 'smaller' version of the poster we presented to Amanda so that everyone can see generally what it looked like. It's impossible to get the impact of it no matter how large I post it as a JPG anyway I'm afraid (live, it was very large and every signature was clear - it's not the same virtually). But it'll at least give you a notion. Picture it 30 inches by 36 inches, it took two of us to hold it up (thank you Sky!! and Sky - who is the sweetest, loveliest person you could ever meet, by the way - she actually DID have to drag me out in front of Amanda by the arm! I was a real deer in headlights!)

Please also note ChopinGal's lovely poetic introduction at the top right...

Spoiler:
        qouting my self on this topic
        Originally posted by MickSpeed View Post
        I'm still angry with me for being too late for the poster...could anybody kick me in my a** for that, pleeease! I'm sure you both did a great job! *being proud*
        It came out great! Fantastic job Michael (uups...of topic, this is what Jean Todd would say to Michael Schumacher - the best race car driver ever by the way) No seriosly. You really all did a great job on this!

Edit: I just tried to decode the words in the background. Mini, could you please write, what is written there. Will there be a bigger version? I'm sure everyone would love to read some of the texts!

Thank you SO much Amanda! (Icons by various great artists)

Comment

I got the impression she was concerned about the potential fan reaction to her being used on Atlantis. I may be in the minority, but I've said all along that I wouldn't mind seeing Sam on Atlantis since I'm such a huge fan of the character. I like the Sam/McKay chemistry, and I think the writers do, too, but I also think it could grow old quickly, if that's ALL that they focused on.

I think having Sam command the Odyssey would be the best role for her. It would be a command position, one in which she wouldn't be stealing a role from someone else. And yet, she would still have to opportunity to work with McKay, although not necessarily in "competition" for the scientist role. I would love to watch her interaction with Weir in that role.
          I don't want to see her on the Odyssey because I want her to be on Earth more. Hey, I'm a shipper, so shoot me *ducks*. Remember, mild technical spoilers for The Return:
          Spoiler:
          with the bridge up, there is no need for a ship to go regularly between earth and Atlantis and whomever is commander of the ship is likely to stay in the Pegasus Galaxy. After 10 years of combat, Sam deserves a life! What I would like is for her to be commander of the new space station/terminal thingie going up between the two galaxies. That way, she can commute home at night () and it would be an ideal place to trouble shoot the bridge and various problems in both galaxies (hey, there's only one Sam, and she's needed everywhere!) See, satisfies the Sam fan and the shipper in me beautifully. And the set-up for it this year on SGA is perfect... because someone needs to command that... And it is *her* bridge (sorry McKay)

EDIT: Also, that way her appearances would be rather like those of Landry and less likely to interfere with the cast of SGA...

Comment

Originally posted by Lizlove View Post
            Very good!!!!

I can name a few of the eps like Heroes, The Lost City, New Order, ITLOD, COTG, 200, Seth, Death Knell, WoO, 2010, Upgrades, Reckoning, Avalon, Nemesis, Full Circle and 2001. There are a lot of S9 - S10 that I don't know.
            Well I wanted to have clips from every season...but inevitably I focused on the latter seasons for two reasons...

2. I had the latter seasons available and more accessible on my computer in the right format whereas the earlier seasons were primarily only available to me on my DVDs.

1. The contest was about saving the show and should at least should have some elements from those seasons.

See, there were a LOT of great SG-1 moments in the last year and a half. That was never the problem. The problem was the execution of each episode in its entirety...that's where things fell through in many regards. And although I'm not a Mitchell fan, there have been moments...so I used those to show him in a more positive light. Same with Vala. I think she has potential but only if they surgically remove her from Daniel's hipbone.

Now because it's not a Sam video per se, I did my best to limit my Sam content and make it more of a team video...since that's the point to me of the show and the reason for its longevity.

That being said...see who I put first in the character list.

I'm glad you liked it and I'll let you know if I hear anything back from the contest.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Yes! Amber turned to me and said "you better hold this before I get into huge trouble!" (she gave so much to charity, she's a star, really ) and I laughed and said, "sure, no problem!" as I reached for it (I had an aisle seat in the hall) and I was turning to rush toward the back of the room where the cashiers were, but Amanda came dashing over first, grinning and she snatched it away! It was like tag team, very funny.
              It was! Dear lord, I think one of the ladies on my row nearly peed herself. Fortunately I was on the dehydrated side by that point

Well, in my opinion it's really quite lovely(and so is Scari for that matter! ), the same goes for TJ (and her accent).

I love those accents! Of course I was constantly being told that I had the accent, not anyone else....... I don't know where they came up with that idea.
              Aww... Hey... fillet! fillet! fillet-o-fish fillet-o-fish fillet fillet fillet fillet fillet-o-fish fillet-o-fish fillet fillet fillet fillet fillet fillet fillet-o-fish fillet-o-fish fillet-o-fish fillet-o-fish fillet fillet fillet-o-fish fillet-o-fish fillet-o-fish fillet fillet!

Thomasina's a new hero by the way. I love and adore her personality. She's quite a kindred spirit to Amanda, it's no wonder the two are fast friends. I knew nothing about her before I left other than that she was some sort of writer, but after the talk she gave and meeting her briefly, I can safely say she's an absolute sweetheart. She's a beautiful, hilarious and fun lady. Also quite generous and encouraging. Just fabulous.
              Wot you said. Thomasina's talk about how Avalon came about was fun. She described how she's been winding up RDA for a long time to do a con, and he's always refused... but one day she pulled down the window of her car as she drove off and called out her usual, "Hey, when are you going to do a con?!" and he called back, "You organise it, I'll do it!" And at that point her face was - - lol! He said he didn't want to carry his first one on his own, so she asked him which other member of the cast he wanted to do one with, and he chose Amanda. So Thomasina then chose the GABIT team to run it because they're so damn good at it.

... For those who've never met CG (in person), she's an absolute angel. Much like Amanda, she's so warm and kind, very caring and absolutely disarming. When she speaks to you, you feel as though you're a very special person.
              Seconded, thirded, fourthded! ChopinGal is lovely. And very very wise.

DEM, Scari's accent struck me as being a quite proper British accent.
              Oh Strix, no one has ever called anything about me me "proper" before

Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
              Amanda stealing credit cards! ROFL! Excellent! Scari, you do love it when Amanda plays those evil characters, was petty thief evil enough for you? I just love it!
              Getting there

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/8395/poster23xe0.jpg
              Wow! mini, that's wonderful Well done!

Originally posted by DEM View Post

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Thank you, Strix! Such fun I shall have...

posh posh poshposhposhposhposh tosh poshposhposhposhposh !
              Hey! She said PROPER!
              scarimor

Comment

OK. Until I can figure out the privacy details, what I've decided to do is post a 'smaller' version of the poster we presented to Amanda so that everyone can see generally what it looked like. It's impossible to get the impact of it no matter how large I post it as a JPG anyway I'm afraid (live, it was very large and every signature was clear - it's not the same virtually). But it'll at least give you a notion. Picture it 30 inches by 36 inches, it took two of us to hold it up (thank you Sky!! and Sky - who is the sweetest, loveliest person you could ever meet, by the way - she actually DID have to drag me out in front of Amanda by the arm! I was a real deer in headlights!)

Please also note ChopinGal's lovely poetic introduction at the top right...

Spoiler:
                I just can't green you enough for your work on this mg.

GREAT job.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
                  According to Amanda, she wants to continue acting even as she explores directing and production. Her ultimate desire is to play Eleanor of Aquitaine when she turns 60! Since I know something about turning 60, I made sure to compliment her on a worthy acting goal! Power to women of all ages, eh?!

She seems quite hopeful about being Executive Producer and actor in this new project. She was literally sitting on her hands and trying not to get too excited about it as she cannot reveal more at the moment. She does need more financial backing ... lots of assistance there ... I hope TPTB realize what a gem they have in her and the funding arrives. In meantime, I gather that it will be more fiction/sci-fi rather than documentary. I'm hoping that she gets to play a real kick-ass heroine, a la Sam Carter.

All in all, we do know that she's moving ahead professionally ... she doesn't have to wait another seven years to become her own executive producer like she had to wait seven years to get a chance to direct!! Go Amanda go!
                  In regard to the new Project she can't talk about yet, but gave some details to Gabiteers...

Excellent news!!! I'm thrilled that she is venturing into new areas of the business while still acting. She did a wonderful job directing Resurrection, and she loved doing it. So I'm glad she is going to try on the Executive Producer hat as well on a possible new project. I'm sure she will put all her efforts/abilities/work ethic into it just like she does everything else and there is no doubt she will have success!!

I heard somewhere we wouldn't know more until around February of next year. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I look forward to more details next year!!

I think this is the most exciting news professional coming out of the con for me. That Amanda is moving on and has such a great opportunity with this possible new series. Also, she seems so genuinely excited about!! So thanks for sharing!!

Comment

Hi all. Thought I'd post my two cents and ask some questions. I apologize in advance if some of it has been covered already. Here we go, in no particular order:

I've been reading the recent posts and I'm *SOOOO* jealous of all the people that got to see Amanda in person. I just became a Stargate fan a few months ago and watched all the episodes (through the 1st half of season 10) in an ongoing marathon. LOTS of fun! I've just started on SGA (I'm finished season 1 episode 9, I think), so I'm reading posts here but trying not to get spoiled for SGA (or for the end of SG1 season 10, for that matter).

Are there videos/DVDs of convention appearances available for sale? Not just of Amanda (though I'm especially interested in her appearances). To avoid annoying everyone on the list, I can be reached directly at meredith.chandler73@gmail..... well, you know the rest. Is there a list somewhere of all the conventions that Amanda has attended and when? (That way I could backtrack and try to find reports from each of them.)

As I mentioned, I'm not caught up with SGA and don't know what's happening on that show right now except what I could tell from The Pegasus Project. I can't really make an informed decision about Amanda appearing on SGA. (I believe she has already made a few appearances, but I haven't seen any of those episodes yet.) My gut instinct is...I want to see more of Amanda! Of course it's possible to bring Sam Carter to SGA and have it turn out badly. No one would want that. Again - not knowing the dynamics of the show right now, I'd just tell the writers, "let her visit and don't screw it up!"

It is so fascinating to me - the world of fandom that exists for sci-fi/fantasy shows. I mean, I have to guess that there are people that are as fanatical about...say...Grey's Anatomy...as we are for Stargate. But the thing is, sci-fi/fantasy fans get an interaction with their favorite stars in a way that no one else does. It's true, not all actors are as into the fandom/conventions as others. But the ones that do it - it's just incredible. Amanda - by all accounts - is one of the best. She's very genuine and giving to her fans, very appreciative and attentive. She knows what a meaningful experience it is for the fans and she finds it meaningful as well. THAT IS SO AWESOME!!!!

My two cents. (Okay - that's probably more like 6 cents.)
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

The leadership issue was broached in one question, and I got the impression that Amanda was trying to be very diplomatic about it, but she was disappointed in the way it was handled on screen and off. Mind you, that's me reading between the lines mostly, but I think the others who were there probably got the same impression.
                      Yes - the definitive thing I remember her saying was that it would have made more sense if the characters (Sam and Cam) were not the same rank: "Make him a full bird colonel, ok."

Ooh, I've remembered something (forgive me if it's alreay been posted). Amanda said that she was proud of the episode The Road Not Taken, which is yet to air:
                      Spoiler:
                      It is the first Sam-focused episode in a long time (I think she mentioned two years). Landry is in it, McKay (I assume, since DH is in it), a little bit of Vala, but no Teal'c, Daniel or Cameron. She described it as quite political.

She hopes we like it
                      scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                        I second that. Amazing job mini and thanks for allowing us to contribute!!!
                        yes, wasn't the poster fantastic???

i was awed when i got to see it in person. i envy her talent, and she did such a wonderful job. i have a feeling that its something amanda will treasure for a long time
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
                          Yes - the definitive thing I remember her saying was that it would have made more sense if the characters (Sam and Cam) were not the same rank: "Make him a full bird colonel, ok."

Ooh, I've remembered something (forgive me if it's alreay been posted). Amanda said that she was proud of the episode The Road Not Taken, which is yet to air:
                          Spoiler:
                          It is the first Sam-focused episode in a long time (I think she mentioned two years). Landry is in it, McKay (I assume, since DH is in it), a little bit of Vala, but no Teal'c, Daniel or Cameron. She described it as quite political.

She hopes we like it
                          little correction

Spoiler:
                          there is some au cameron i believe she said.

but yes, if at says it's a sam episode, i'll believe her and i'm looking forward to it
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            little correction

Spoiler:
                            there is some au cameron i believe she said.
                            Yes, I think I remember that now. Thanks

but yes, if at says it's a sam episode, i'll believe her and i'm looking forward to it
                            Me too big time.
                            scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
                              Hi all. Thought I'd post my two cents and ask some questions. I apologize in advance if some of it has been covered already. Here we go, in no particular order:

I've been reading the recent posts and I'm *SOOOO* jealous of all the people that got to see Amanda in person. I just became a Stargate fan a few months ago and watched all the episodes (through the 1st half of season 10) in an ongoing marathon. LOTS of fun! I've just started on SGA (I'm finished season 1 episode 9, I think), so I'm reading posts here but trying not to get spoiled for SGA (or for the end of SG1 season 10, for that matter).

Are there videos/DVDs of convention appearances available for sale? Not just of Amanda (though I'm especially interested in her appearances). To avoid annoying everyone on the list, I can be reached directly at meredith.chandler73@gmail..... well, you know the rest. Is there a list somewhere of all the conventions that Amanda has attended and when? (That way I could backtrack and try to find reports from each of them.)

As I mentioned, I'm not caught up with SGA and don't know what's happening on that show right now except what I could tell from The Pegasus Project. I can't really make an informed decision about Amanda appearing on SGA. (I believe she has already made a few appearances, but I haven't seen any of those episodes yet.) My gut instinct is...I want to see more of Amanda! Of course it's possible to bring Sam Carter to SGA and have it turn out badly. No one would want that. Again - not knowing the dynamics of the show right now, I'd just tell the writers, "let her visit and don't screw it up!"

It is so fascinating to me - the world of fandom that exists for sci-fi/fantasy shows. I mean, I have to guess that there are people that are as fanatical about...say...Grey's Anatomy...as we are for Stargate. But the thing is, sci-fi/fantasy fans get an interaction with their favorite stars in a way that no one else does. It's true, not all actors are as into the fandom/conventions as others. But the ones that do it - it's just incredible. Amanda - by all accounts - is one of the best. She's very genuine and giving to her fans, very appreciative and attentive. She knows what a meaningful experience it is for the fans and she finds it meaningful as well. THAT IS SO AWESOME!!!!

My two cents. (Okay - that's probably more like 6 cents.)

Welcome to Samanda, Meredith! I was all new to this sci-fi fan thing too - just a couple years ago. Stick around ... it grows on you!

I believe there are DVDs of some of the cons but will let someone else provide some details. Hopefully, there may be a GABIT DVD from Amanda's London visits but that is not something I know for sure. I do know that a lot of videotaping was going on and we can always hope this will turn into something for the fans to buy.

Once you get hooked, you may find yourself buying the boxed set versions of the Stargate series. Most of us have gone that route.

Again, welcome aboard and visit often!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                yes, wasn't the poster fantastic???

i was awed when i got to see it in person. i envy her talent, and she did such a wonderful job. i have a feeling that its something amanda will treasure for a long time
                                I think minigeek wins the Samanda Medal of Honor for her super poster!

Sky, I agree ... what was so neat about this year's event is that Amanda received several very special fan projects which is a terrific way to bring her ten-year gig to an end and provide a rec room full of memories!

I kidded her at tea that Olivia will not have to cringe when any kid says "your mom wears army boots!" She laughed and thought that's true. Who knows? I should have asked if she's having her combat boots bronzed!!!
                                Last edited by ChopinGal; 21 November 2006, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X