Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey guys

as to sam on atlantis, well personally i'm thrilled. yes, i'm shallow and i've said for years that, personally, i do find the atlantis characters lacking and having a character that i like on the show will ramp up my enjoyment.

i can TOTALLY understand the trepidation of the atlantis fans. however, i do hope that folks remember, she didn't ask for this. she didn't ask to be part of atlantis, she WAS ASKED. TPTB wanted her there and she's committed to the series and she's going to carry out her commitment and be the professional that she is and do her job. (just as, i would imagine, she's been doing since s9 and cameron and the command issue)

I have no doubt that she'll do her best and a great job.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy View Post
      SNIP...

I understand how you feel. I think worried and unsure is how most of us would classify our feelings about all of Stargate's future. And I most certainly understand how you feel regarding Sam's position on SG-1. But in the same vein, I'd have just as big a problem with Sam Carter commanding a space ship as I do with Cameron Mitchell commanding an SG team. Ironically, the two would fit rather well were they in each other's place. You can't justify to me that the Air Force, the SGC, hell, Earth, is just gonna let Sam Carter, wallow in a chair all day long. The position is just not consistent with the character I've watched for ten years. I believe the SGC can spare a William Ronson or Lionel Pendergast with such mundanity, but not one of the pillars upon which the entire program is supported.

I can't help but see this in the exact same regard as I (and most others) see Falstaff--a great, even legendary, character who finds an ignominious and unsuitable end after being thrown into a play where he doesn't belong for the cheap thrill of having him there.

Spoiler:
      On a more postive note, I've read elsewhere that RDA is reportedly working to "get into shape" for filming. And I've read that Gekko is rumored to be back on board for SG-1 movies. Small victories if true, but good ones.

Fair enough... I can see your point too. So maybe they will surprise us both huh? And the news in your spoilers is wonderful rumors to me!! So there is always hope.

Comment

It seems to me that most fans would be happy to have AT be on Atlantis if A,B,C and D were to happen and if X,Y and Z didn't happen. The problem, as I see it, is we KNOW what has happened the past two years on Stargate. We know how TPTB have treated old characters, have introduced new ones, have resorted to cheap laughs, have ignored relationships and character development.

Therefore, wouldn't we simply be trading SG1 problems over to Atlantis. It sounds like they have a few of their own. Do we really want to see more of Sam, or any other original SG1 character if it means further deterioration of those things that we have come to love about them?

If they couldn't get it right on Stargate how will they get it right on Atlantis?

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
          Hey all...I've been out of commission the past few days as I have been working on a video for that SG-1 contest and I'd like to share it with you here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YjoHoCxpaAQ

Can you name all the episodes referenced?
          Very good!!!!

I can name a few of the eps like Heroes, The Lost City, New Order, ITLOD, COTG, 200, Seth, Death Knell, WoO, 2010, Upgrades, Reckoning, Avalon, Nemesis, Full Circle and 2001. There are a lot of S9 - S10 that I don't know.

Comment

OK. Until I can figure out the privacy details, what I've decided to do is post a 'smaller' version of the poster we presented to Amanda so that everyone can see generally what it looked like. It's impossible to get the impact of it no matter how large I post it as a JPG anyway I'm afraid (live, it was very large and every signature was clear - it's not the same virtually). But it'll at least give you a notion. Picture it 30 inches by 36 inches, it took two of us to hold it up (thank you Sky!! and Sky - who is the sweetest, loveliest person you could ever meet, by the way - she actually DID have to drag me out in front of Amanda by the arm! I was a real deer in headlights!)

Please also note ChopinGal's lovely poetic introduction at the top right...

Spoiler:

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Hey everyone,

I've been sitting back and quietly enjoying reading all the posts and seeing the pics from AT2

(And yes, I am able to be quiet )

I am so glad that everyone that attended enjoyed themselves so much (and are still probably floating on clouds )

It's just so wonderful to hear about how Amanda is such a real and caring person (but please guys, stop making the poor woman cry )

So welcome back, to all those who have returned home, and have fun to those attending Avalon (don't forget to post )

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              hey guys

as to sam on atlantis, well personally i'm thrilled. yes, i'm shallow and i've said for years that, personally, i do find the atlantis characters lacking and having a character that i like on the show will ramp up my enjoyment.

i can TOTALLY understand the trepidation of the atlantis fans. however, i do hope that folks remember, she didn't ask for this. she didn't ask to be part of atlantis, she WAS ASKED. TPTB wanted her there and she's committed to the series and she's going to carry out her commitment and be the professional that she is and do her job. (just as, i would imagine, she's been doing since s9 and cameron and the command issue)

I'm sure Amanda will do a great job on Atlantis! From all the characters on SG1 I think Sam is the one who fits on the show the best. Hopefully, they will be able to use her character to the fullest and have her interact with the rest of the cast, as a unifying force rather than splitting the cast apart. And since she'll only be on for a few episodes (we don't know how many) I can't see her displacing any of the regular cast members.

As to her new project, I look forward to finding out more about it And it's great that she will have the power of an EP!

Now, if I could just get that patience virtue down pat
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                OK. Until I can figure out the privacy details, what I've decided to do is post a 'smaller' version of the poster we presented to Amanda so that everyone can see generally what it looked like. It's impossible to get the impact of it no matter how large I post it as a JPG anyway I'm afraid (live, it was very large and every signature was clear - it's not the same virtually). But it'll at least give you a notion. Picture it 30 inches by 36 inches, it took two of us to hold it up (thank you Sky!! and Sky - who is the sweetest, loveliest person you could ever meet, by the way - she actually DID have to drag me out in front of Amanda by the arm! I was a real deer in headlights!)

Spoiler:
                Wow mini, that is truly AMAZING!
                thanks so much for including us
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
                  As much as you can make a very valid argument to bring Sam's arc to an end with the end of SG1, the reality is that AT has been signed to a contract and, at this moment, she is committed to being used by the studio in upcoming seasons of Atlantis. I think she is also concerned at how well that will be handled and what kind of scripts she will be handed.

Perhaps, in the best of all worlds, Sam Carter would walk through the gate one last time with Teal'c and Daniel and the saga would end, only to be resurrected in a movie or two.

Amanda talked about the very last day on set for S10 and said that CB and BB actually gave her and CJ and MS some private space and time to process the last filming. She said there was a lot of crying during the final take where the three of them walk on and up the ramp and through the Stargate. She was pretty much a basket case and then they were all told that the going through the Gate had to be re-shot! Finally, she and Chris and Michael wandered up the steps to the control room and spent some quiet time there looking out at the set, the huge Stargate prop and reliving how they felt the very first time they came on set ten years ago. It was a nice story.
                  Wow, what an emotional moment that must have been! One thing that disturbs me about that story is
                  Spoiler:
                  she said they gave her a moment alone with CJ and MS, no mention of RDA. I was really hoping he would be in the finale, but now I doubt it.
                  Still, I know CB and BB have been there, done that and they knew the importance of closure for their friends/costars who'd been around for a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    hey guys

Bringing a new character - or, in this case, an already established and well loved character - onto a show can actually end up benefitting the characters already on the show. Finding a niche for the new character can lead a show's PTB to think on the roles the other characters already play, how those character can be better utilized and how their roles can be expanded. Adding a new character into the mix and thinking about the interactions they will have with the other characters can also lead to the show's PTB putting more thought into the interactions between the established characters and which areas need to be improved in that respect.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      On a more postive note, I've read elsewhere that RDA is reportedly working to "get into shape" for filming. And I've read that Gekko is rumored to be back on board for SG-1 movies. Small victories if true, but good ones.
                      Sorry, but that is fabulous news! Someone at Avalon must get this confirmed PLEASE!!!!!

Comment

Mini, that was amazing!!!!! You are such a talented artist! Thank you for sharing your gift with all of us and allowing so many to thank Amanda!

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post

Spoiler:
                          Woohoo!! Amazing job and a big thank you for putting that all together.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                            LOL at the edit, Mick.
                            Well if you'd posted I woulda known!

Originally posted by DEM View Post
                            Cloning?

If they're going into production I want one.
                            scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
                              Sorry, but that is fabulous news! Someone at Avalon must get this confirmed PLEASE!!!!!

I second that! That would such fabulous news!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                                Wow mini, that is truly AMAZING!
                                thanks so much for including us
                                Including you?! Thank YOU ALL for allowing me to put it together! There's a great big hug from Amanda at that presentation which I need to (somehow?) share with all of you! And I think Sky had a kiss to share, too...!

*bawl* I miss everyone from the AT2 GW gang so much! I'm gonna be useless at work for the rest of the week!

mg (sigh)

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Working...
                                X