Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
    No, no, it was the craziest thing she'd ever done.
    LOL! Well, and see, that just goes to show that I am not the best person to be trying to remember details of the weekend...!

DEM, Scari's accent struck me as being a quite proper British accent.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
      The Gathering

Snip for space
      Damn CG!!! That was good! Fabulous, amazing!

I wish to thank everyone who went to Gabit because you're so open to share pics, feelings and memories.
      Having read all the anecdotes and stories makes me even more prouder to be Amanda's fan. I'm just amazed at Amanda's drive to make this the best weekend ever for many Sam/Amanda fans. I'm a little bit sad that in the end I wasn't able to go but I'm more happy because people who desserved it more finally had the opportunity to see her in real. To hug her and tell her how beautiful, caring and incredible she is. To finally touch the dream that was meeting Amanda.
      I hope there'll be a third time so I can go and meet other fans.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy View Post
        snipped for space

It's not as though I think I'm going to change anyone's mind with all of this, or that I can influence what happens on the shows. But no matter how loved a character becomes, no matter how popular a character remains, there comes a point where it becomes creatively disadvantageous to continue with her. Stories, even personal character journeys, have beginnings, middles, and ends. After 10 full seasons and 215 episodes, I'm having a hard time seeing how Sam Carter can benefit from TPTB continuing to use her as a writing crutch. By Amanda Tapping's own admission, the last two seasons on SG-1 haven't been Carter's best. It's my belief that the only part of Sam Carter's story that is left to tell is the ending. I don't want that ending to be away from SG-1, and I don't want that ending to be away from the characters with which Carter's own wonderful personal story has been intertwined. Anything else, including potential visits to Atlantis, are just going to be useless filler. And I want more from Sam Carter than that.

Whoa golfbooy - great, super post and you may have changed MY mind since there are some things you brought up that I hadn't considered. I have to rethink this and see where I come down, I'll get back to ya.

Comment

The Gathering

reluctantly snipped for space
          I would've greened you, but apparently my fridge is REALLY empty.
          Amazing poem!

Thank you for 10 years of Sam Carter, Amanda Tapping!
          My LJ "I Live in a Sci-Fi World"
          My Stargate (Mostly Sam Carter) Icons
          My Stargate Videos
          It's meant to be!

Comment

I think a lot of us are just starting to come out of the clouds and process our experience but do know that what majorsal is talking about is very important to Amanda.

So ... here's the question again, Samandans. Do take time to answer honestly. I do believe that AT spends time on fan threads and values our support ...

If Sam Carter will be spending more time on Atlantis, what would you like to see? What role should Sam play? Commander of the Odyssey? Co-scientist with McKay? Fellow warrior with Teyla on a mission?

What would be your concerns about Sam moving over to Atlantis? Do you think she will fit in with the veteran cast? How will she contribute to the Atlantis arc?

Put your thinking caps on and be imaginative! If you were writing Atlantis and incorporating Sam ... where would you take her?!
            Like many others, I'd be thrilled to see Sam on Atlantis. I think that if it's done right she could fit in well. I'd like to see her in command of a ship, ultimately a different one than Caldwell, but with Caldwell around to butt heads with. I could see a similar dynamic to how she reacted with Colonel Simmons and with Woolsey. I think it could really bring out snarky Sam which I'd love to see.

I'd also like them to not focus so much on the McKay/Carter relationship. A little bit is okay, but it has the potential to go the same way as the Daniel/Vala relationship, where it becomes too much and overshadows every other aspect of Atlantis.

I'd ultimately like to see a lot of interactions with Weir and Teyla, bring the women of Atlantis to the forefront and show them as useful and able to stand on there own.

Originally posted by tara3583 View Post
            I've thought about this alot and i would love for the ptb to write Replicarter back into the story and have her cross over to Atlantis.
            <<<<SPOILERS FOR EPISODES OF ATLANTIS>>>
            "
            "
            "
            "
            "
            "
            "
            "
            "
            "
            "
            "
            "
            sorry for putting this in this way, i,ve forgotten the other way at the moment! anyway on with what i have to say
            Last week on Atlantis it deals with human form replicators and it got me thinking that Sam would fit into that story very nicely, who could forget Amanda's wonderful portrayal of Replicarter and because Amanda works with DH so well i really think it would be an interesting, hit you right between your eyes, type of story line!
            It would also imho be a rather unique way of bringing Sam over without diminishing DH character and having two sciencetists on one show.
            Tara, this is an awesome idea. I'd love to see Replicarter in Atlantis. It would definitely be different and could really shake things up.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
              LOL! Well, and see, that just goes to show that I am not the best person to be trying to remember details of the weekend...!

DEM, Scari's accent struck me as being a quite proper British accent.
              I agree with mini, Amanda is such a ham! She's a super story teller in front of an audience! The parachute story was a gem. And then remember that she told us she actually was thinking of doing stand-up comedy at one time and had an offer. So she went to the comedy club the week before to check it out and started hyperventilating just watching the other comedians onstage doing their schtick. She left and never returned for the gig! She thinks that what she does with the conventions is much easier because she's playing off the crowd's questions and not having to carry a whole routine by herself. Personally, I think the lady could easily do stand-up once she got into it.

She also shared that she would love to do a romantic comedy (film) and West End (London) theatre in the future.

Did anyone mention her comments about RDA being a "con virgin"?! She had us all laughing at that. She's so happy that next weekend at Avalon she will be the veteran and have to walk him through the paces. I can only imagine what those exchanged looks and pauses on stage between them will look like! Kat, make sure your shutter speed is set for fast picture taking!

As to our fellow Samandans' accents, I found Scarimor quite easy to understand, already heard dipsofjazz Scottish lilt last year, but continue to be befuddled by my beloved Coley's Lancastrian pronunciations as well as 1speed (but not as much). Tracey Jane was also easy to understand and she became the French fans' best buddy - helping with translations in the hotel lobby through the weekend. TJ, hope you're feeling better!

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy View Post
                Spoiler:
                Sorry, Spaz, but as near as I can tell, Brad Wright won't be the one who deals primarily with Carter's potential visits to Atlantis. All indications from magazines, interviews, and the like indicate that my buddy, Joe Mallozzi, and Paul Mullie are going to assume the showrunning duties for Atlantis next season. It seems that they've finally been bumped up to the top slot, most likely to allow Brad Wright and Rob Cooper to focus primarily on the two SG-1 movies. Perhaps Cooper and Wright will also work on the much hoped for third series. Anyway, I think it's going to be Joe and Paul running things. So, at least by my reckoning, that's a huge knock against me wanting to see Carter in Atlantis. I don't think that M & M have ever been able to write the characters as anything other than their most basic functions. And I don't think that will change for Sam when she's in Atlantis. She'll be a scientist working with Mckay. That's all. Except for those lovely cliched moments when she can be "the girl" and go all emotional in contrast to Sheppard and such.

That huge reservation aside, I can't really see myself being overjoyed at Carter being on Atlantis even if Brad Wright (whom I do consider to be the best creative force behind Stargate) was still controlling the reins. Surely this opinion is colored by my overall take on Atlantis. Which is bad. I don't think the Atlantis cast works well together at all. They have virtually no chemistry together. Much of this I believe stems from the lack of development for all of the characters. I don't feel that anyone on that show has been adequately developed, and I don't think that there is any real intention of trying to develop them. So, I can't really see Sam coming in, being as strong a character as she is, without very much dominating the rest of her fellow actors. On top of that, I don't believe that the writers have any idea where they're taking the story on Atlantis. The show fails to have any sort of framing throughline to its episodes or seasons; the story isn't going anywhere. Atlantis is, in my opinion, just as bad as Andromeda in that regard. It's an action/adventure shoot'em up hour with little room in any episode for character, theme, moral conflict, or unifying ideas. Almost every single scene is played for the cheapest laughs and is used only to facilitate the biggest explosions and super-coolest CGI that can be included. The show is flat, and seemingly strives to be little else. I don't see Sam Carter flourishing in an environment like that.

My own personal interpretation of the character also makes me not want to see Sam on Atlantis too much. For me, and I hope for many others, Sam's place is on an SG team (preferably SG-1), going through the stargate, exploring other worlds. Atlantis does not really do that. It focuses on space ships to the almost total exclusion of the stargate. It's my understanding that at the close of SG-1 the series, SG-1 the team remains intact. Perhaps it's a narrow view of the character or one that is influenced by nostalgia for the best times of the past, but for my money Sam belongs on SG-1. She should be out there representing Earth, leading our flagship team, not stuck in the Pegasus galaxy on the bridge of some ship dramatically crying, "Shields to maximum", or, "Prepare to assist in damage control". She shouldn't be stuck on Atlantis playing second fiddle to Sheppard as a military officer or to Mckay in the lab. As far as I'm concerned, Carter is better than any of the roles the writers are going to use her for when she appears in Atlantis. The only thing I could have seen working is having Sam take command of the expedition. But that is not going to happen.

When Sam appears on Atlantis you're going to get the same revolting sensation as you all get when she appears with Mitchell in scenes. You're going to have one of those super-developed, well-rounded original characters taking orders from people who are not even close to being their betters or superiors. It will be just as unnatural and offend the senses as much as Mitchell (John Sheppard's exact clone) "leading" SG-1.

Even all those Carter-based reasons aside, I don't think this move will help Atlantis. The writers have proven that they don't want to take the time to develop the Atlantis characters. The Mckay/everyone else ratio is ridiculous. Even David Hewlett has been stating how exasperated and self-concious he's been at the amount of work he's getting. Sure, Carter plays extremely well with Mckay. But the last thing Atlantis needs is something that will lead to more Mckay. I can't see a situation where Amanda Tapping, the actress, comes onto Atlantis and doesn't steal the spotlight from Torri Higginson and Rachel Luttrell. Likewise, Carter's got way more combat experience than Sheppard, more technical experience than Rodney (especially in the field), and more command experience than any of them. Sam Carter moving to Atlantis steps on just about every single character on that show.

I'm also not so ebullient in my Sam Carter love that I can ignore the fact that most fans aren't very receptive to the idea of Carter crossing over. Nor should they be. It's not surprising that many of the posters here, in the Sam Carter thread, would take more Sam Carter as often as they can get it. But that sentiment does not extend to many fans of Atlantis. They're understandably very covetous of their own characters, just as we are of our favorites. There are already major changes in the works for Atlantis in season four, changes that are not being well recieved. Dissatisfaction with the show is at an all time high. It's not necesarily what I would call a receptive environment for Amanda Tapping to walk into. I was, and still am, angry and disappointed at how the new characters have been handled on SG-1. And I don't wish those same feelings of resentment on Atlantis fans when their characters are inevitably pushed aside. I don't want the writers making up for screwing over Carter/Amanda Tapping on SG-1 by screwing other characters over on Atlantis.

Lastly (for now), I really, really don't want to see Sam Carter become the Worf of the Stargate Universe. With Sam on Atlantis the writers will be forced to use some contrived coincidences to have her in the right place for the movies. It will feel forced, it will feel like she's now an outsider to the SG-1 team and to the SG-1 universe. I'm not thrilled at the prospect that Sam Carter won't belong on SG-1. And I'm not thrilled that SG-1 will be out there saving the galaxy, fighting the Goa'uld and the Ori, exploring new worlds, and solving Earth's problems without Sam Carter. All that aside, I don't believe TPTB have adequately indicated that Sam Carter can be replaced at the SGC or spared often enough to devote her time to the Pegasus Galaxy. It stretches the bounds of my disbelief that the SGC will go on, that missions will still result in the same sort of problems, and that Sam Carter will not be there to devise solutions to them. That's not the sort of pressure Dr. Lee is really effective under, nor is Jay Felger. If TPTB do move Carter over to Atlantis, I'm gonna want to be convinced that it's not upsetting the balance of power in the Stargate Universe, and I don't currently believe that such evidence exists to sway my opinion.

It's not as though I think I'm going to change anyone's mind with all of this, or that I can influence what happens on the shows. But no matter how loved a character becomes, no matter how popular a character remains, there comes a point where it becomes creatively disadvantageous to continue with her. Stories, even personal character journeys, have beginnings, middles, and ends. After 10 full seasons and 215 episodes, I'm having a hard time seeing how Sam Carter can benefit from TPTB continuing to use her as a writing crutch. By Amanda Tapping's own admission, the last two seasons on SG-1 haven't been Carter's best. It's my belief that the only part of Sam Carter's story that is left to tell is the ending. I don't want that ending to be away from SG-1, and I don't want that ending to be away from the characters with which Carter's own wonderful personal story has been intertwined. Anything else, including potential visits to Atlantis, are just going to be useless filler. And I want more from Sam Carter than that.
                I totally agree with your eloquent insight. I couldn't green you. Obviously, I like your postings.

When I read that AT might be on SGA episodes, my first concern was her position with SG-1. Are they trying to "wean" her away from SG-1 by having her appear in SGA. Does this we'll see less of interactive Sam than we do now on SG-1. If she appears in SGA, how will the fans react. They were not happy when rumors of SG-1 transplants were floating around. How happy will they be now. I didn't even want to think about how Sam would be written on SGA.

I guess I should be happy, but I'm really freaking out about it.

Much credit to Replicatertje and Ann Sgc_Fan for their lovely sigs

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                  This possibility of the new project (details in bold above)... Did any of you get the impression it was a fictional series (like SG-1) or was it more like a documentary series (like Proof Positive)? Or are these the only details and I just have to wait until next year to find out.

Either way I'm excited she is EP and starring in it! I would love to see any show she has a hand in creating!!
                  According to Amanda, she wants to continue acting even as she explores directing and production. Her ultimate desire is to play Eleanor of Aquitaine when she turns 60! Since I know something about turning 60, I made sure to compliment her on a worthy acting goal! Power to women of all ages, eh?!

She seems quite hopeful about being Executive Producer and actor in this new project. She was literally sitting on her hands and trying not to get too excited about it as she cannot reveal more at the moment. She does need more financial backing ... lots of assistance there ... I hope TPTB realize what a gem they have in her and the funding arrives. In meantime, I gather that it will be more fiction/sci-fi rather than documentary. I'm hoping that she gets to play a real kick-ass heroine, a la Sam Carter.

All in all, we do know that she's moving ahead professionally ... she doesn't have to wait another seven years to become her own executive producer like she had to wait seven years to get a chance to direct!! Go Amanda go!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                    http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...2/AT2_0202.jpg
                    Amanda when she saw how much money they had raised for the charity event.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...2/AT2_0223.jpg

Amanda thanking everyone for all the support they had given to her over the years and for the money they had donated to the charity.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...2/AT2_0222.jpg

It was a extremely emotional closing ceremony.

I lost it as soon as they showed us the check and I continued to cry up until Amanda said her last good-bye. I wish I could post what Julia said to Amanda on behalf of all her fans, but I could never do her justice. Hopefully, they will post it up on the Gabit website, because it was simply beautiful and expressed perfectly how most of Amanda's fans feel about her.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...2/AT2_0214.jpg
                    Amanda and the guest from Hearing Dogs showing everyone the money we had raised.

I've had a few moments last night to upload some more photos of Amanda for anyone who wishes to check them out. Feel free to snag any of them. All I ask is if you do post them up on other websites, forums or ljs, that you give me credit. I'll try to add more when I get some free time. Unfortunately my husband and I are still traveling so my internet connection is sporatic at best. Although I have to admit it was very nice riding the train from London to Edinburgh last night and being able to log on to SaGC and read everyone's posts.

AT2 Photos
                    Thanks for posting the pics and the story!

First of all, as many of you know ... I was not expecting to be in London at all this year ... no finances ... major transitions ... new life, new location, new job, yadda, yadda ... and then, miracle of miracles, a Fairy Godmother (who wishes to remain anonymous) flew into my life and GIFTED ME with this magical weekend with Amanda and my GW friends!!! How awesome is that, folks?! A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity from someone who could not go herself. Needless to say, may she live long and prosper and I will be forever in her debt. I booked a last-minute plane ticket and GABIT tickets and soon karma expanded and other beneficial moments opened up ... I got to attend the cocktail party and, unbelievably, WON THE TEA WITH AMANDA RAFFLE with three other lucky fans, including Bev!!

My Dinner with Andre, oops, My Tea with Amanda

Amanda kept the hat on for our tea (which turned into a round of French champagne instead - we polished off the pricey bottle of bubbly and didn't even get to the tea!). She told us that she came to the hotel that morning (Sunday) and stood in front of Julia (G4) and Thomasina and kept putting hat on and taking hat off, trying to get a group consensus of which way to go but I think she finally made up her own mind to go with the hat. It was a very neat look, chic ... I told her it reminded me of Charlie's Angels' Farrah Fawcett and she smiled.

The half-hour tea with Amanda was fabulous. She was as bubbly as the champagne, warm and quite interested in her fans' opinions. We all had something to contribute and she was eager to get feedback about her character and the show. But she was also interested in each one of us personally and showed that by her attention to what we had to say. It was like having lunch with a favorite girlfriend! Honestly! I can't speak for the others, but I was relaxed and savoring every blessed minute. The dainty tea sandwiches and sweets were delicious. We all got up and went over to a special table to pick whatever we wanted. I even went back for seconds! And how posh is it to have your own personal waiter popping the cork and pouring the champagne?! Amanda lifted her glass and we all clinked and toasted to her future success.

We had a group photo taken at the end by John (GABIT photographer extraordinaire) and Amanda really seemed reluctant to leave. I think she was enjoying this quiet break around a long and hectic public weekend. We got to follow her out of the tea room and she kept turning around and smiling. I was secretly pinching myself and showering karmic blessings on my fairy godmother thinking "it doesn't get much better than this"!

Once I can figure out how to best post my GABIT photos (photobucket account is misbehaving), I will share some cute piccies of my fellow Samandans at play! Lord, this crowd sure knows how to party hard ... the aforementioned posts about tsaxlady's stamina is right on the money!

The jet lag is slowly fading but I'm still in the clouds in many ways. From what I experienced this weekend - fellow fans, my Samandans, the hard-working GABIT staff and Amanda herself - I saw that kindness played a big part in the whole event. And, of course, the kindness and benevolence of my fairy godmother ...

Dreams really do come true. Hic comitas regit.

Peace, CG
                    I hope you'll be able to upload pics soon. You are one lucky fan!

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                    Ahaha! Yes, AmberMoon's credit card was the one that was swiped in the heat of the moment - from MINIGEEK'S hands, I think! AT just snatched it and I think cried out some sort of mock-bid like, "Five thousand pounds!" Hee. Very funny.
                    Last edited by Sasusc; 21 November 2006, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post

She (and Thomasina Gibson) pretty much gave these clues:

1.) It's a sci-fi series
                      2.) She'll be an EP and most likely will star in it (though I think that was a definite, I'm not sure)
                      3.) The series is one of the reasons why her hair is longer
                      4.) Some aspect of it will take place at Bridge Studios, at some point

Now that she's made it kinda public, this will be a nice opportunity for all of us to keep our eyes peeled for any kinds of developments after Avalon, including imdb, the various casting sites, etc. We may not be able to find anything about it until everything is set in stone and she formally announces it, but it couldn't hurt if we're all aware of it...
                      Now, this is really important news! A new sci-fi series produced and starring Amanda Tapping! Wow, I don't usually let my 8 year old daughter in the room when I'm reading Samanda posts (doohickeys anyone?), but I showing her the marvelous pics ForeverSG1 posted and we both SQUEEED at this news. I really can't wait to see a series with Amanda in a position of creative control, and it is scifi, wow!

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
                      Would you look at that total!

See, AT didn't have to steal AmberMoon's credit card and run away with it, did she?

(was it Amber's she nicked? Oh boy, I'm still so high I can't think straight )
                      Amanda stealing credit cards! ROFL! Excellent! Scari, you do love it when Amanda plays those evil characters, was petty thief evil enough for you? I just love it!

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
                      She didn't talk about the content as such - I think she mentioned that work starts on the movies in March.
                      Cool, so it will be almost business as usual at Bridge, since March is when they begin filming anyway. I hope she has a major role in the movies.

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
                      I got the impression she was concerned about the potential fan reaction to her being used on Atlantis. I may be in the minority, but I've said all along that I wouldn't mind seeing Sam on Atlantis since I'm such a huge fan of the character. I like the Sam/McKay chemistry, and I think the writers do, too, but I also think it could grow old quickly, if that's ALL that they focused on.

I think having Sam command the Odyssey would be the best role for her. It would be a command position, one in which she wouldn't be stealing a role from someone else. And yet, she would still have to opportunity to work with McKay, although not necessarily in "competition" for the scientist role. I would love to watch her interaction with Weir in that role.
                      That would be the best scenario! Sam in command (full bird please) and not stepping on any toes. That way we don't have to get into any fights with Atlantis fans thinking Sam was taking screen time from their favorites, because she would have her own role. I hope we see her in several episodes of SGA next season (at least 7-8), and I want them to be meaty roles. It would be good to see her interact with someone other than McKay (not that I don't enjoy that) for a change. Honestly, the only thing I don't want to see on Atlantis is a Sam/anyone pairing. I'm game for anything else. The more Amanda screen time the better!
                      That's how I'm seeing it too, Strix. Actually, I got to tell Amanda that I do want to see her on Atlantis because I'll be seeing Sam Carter again and would welcome that.
                      I am so glad you told her that, and I hope she realizes you are not alone. Amanda in anything would be wonderful, but Amanda as Sam again would be fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Sg Gato View Post
                        I totally agree with your eloquent insight. I couldn't green you. Obviously, I like your postings.

When I read that AT might be on SGA episodes, my first concern was her position with SG-1. Are they trying to "wean" her away from SG-1 by having her appear in SGA. Does this we'll see less of interactive Sam than we do now on SG-1. If she appears in SGA, how will the fans react. They were not happy when rumors of SG-1 transplants were floating around. How happy will they be now. I didn't even want to think about how Sam would be written on SGA.

I guess I should be happy, but I'm really freaking out about it.
                        As much as you can make a very valid argument to bring Sam's arc to an end with the end of SG1, the reality is that AT has been signed to a contract and, at this moment, she is committed to being used by the studio in upcoming seasons of Atlantis. I think she is also concerned at how well that will be handled and what kind of scripts she will be handed.

Perhaps, in the best of all worlds, Sam Carter would walk through the gate one last time with Teal'c and Daniel and the saga would end, only to be resurrected in a movie or two.

Amanda talked about the very last day on set for S10 and said that CB and BB actually gave her and CJ and MS some private space and time to process the last filming.
                        Spoiler:
                        She said there was a lot of crying during the final take where the three of them walk on and up the ramp and through the Stargate. She was pretty much a basket case and then they were all told that the going through the Gate had to be re-shot! Finally, she and Chris and Michael wandered up the steps to the control room and spent some quiet time there looking out at the set, the huge Stargate prop and reliving how they felt the very first time they came on set ten years ago.
                        It was a nice story.
                        Last edited by ChopinGal; 21 November 2006, 12:13 PM.

Comment

In response to some of what golfbooy said... I see it a little differently then you golfbooy, but I agree on some of your points.

When I think of Sam Carter I do think of SG-1 = Daniel, Teal'c, and of course Jack. But the way the character was handled in S9 and some in S10
                          Spoiler:
                          although she was leading the SGC in one episode and she was leading SG-1 occasionally
                          I still have a problem with her playing second fiddle to a newbie. Sorry two years through the gate doesn't make you experienced enough to lead a team with 10 years of experience together. So tptb have already done a huge disservice to the character on SG-1 in my mind. It's no secret I want SG-1 to finish what they developed. Instead of demoting Carter. I think she should be leading SG-1.

Do I think they will correct this in the movies?? Doubtful. I think they will continue to ignore the rich tapestry that has woven this series for so many years. It's like tptb have cut the strings of the past and trying to use new material and technique to finish the quilt. When the finished product is displayed there is this rich beautiful quilt only partial complete with sackcloth stabled on the ends… my own opinion of course. Although to be fair I think s10 has improved some from s9.

EDIT: Okay sackcloth may be a bit harsh... I'm imagining a starched material that doesn't blend well with the rest of the quilt. (so much for a visual reference.. )

This is the reason I don't mind Sam commanding a ship. Do I want the Stargate displayed. YES, but I'm not getting that now on SG-1. Do I want Sam to remain forever on SG-1. Not if means, she isn't leading the team she led previously. I can't fathom the career driven character I have watched develop from Captain to Lt. Colonel still being 2IC of SG-1. I get the impression from tptb that if they had their way they would keep Sam as 2IC forever. And that doesn't bold well with the fact she already led the team!! So if she had an opportunity to captain a ship she also helped develop then I'm all for it! It's a step in the right direction instead of being pushed to the background on the flagship team. I want the character to grow and not continuously get demoted like s9.

I think AT's roles on Atlantis so far have been fun to watch. I don't think it diminished her character at all. I think McKay’s illusions are just that, typical McKay delusions. So I took it in the context it was meant to be and it was fun to watch! Now I'm not saying I want her character appearing as McKay’s delusions. I'm just saying they did it once and it was fun. I see Sam on Atlantis as a glimpse into what Sam is doing now at the SGC or on her own ship. She doesn't take a permanent part on Atlantis, just a reoccurring role as the same character I have watched for 10 seasons.

I do understand where you are coming from Golfbooy. I agree I worry about how tptb will portray Sam on Atlantis and the movies. If she had a ship she might not play an important role in the movie and that doesn’t bold well for me either. So I don’t really know what the answer is. I just know I don’t like how tptb have developed the character on SG-1 in s9 and parts of s10, but I have liked her guest appearance on Atlantis.

I too don’t want any of the Atlantis characters getting less development since Sam will be there. It’s not fun seeing your favorite character being diminished to the background, so I don’t wish that on the Atlantis folks either. I think CG pointed out exactly the stipulations for a positive appearance on Atlantis in my opinion.

Chopingal: Seriously, you've brought up some key points:

1) Creating an independent Sam who is not seen as intruding on the original show's history.

2) Developing other points of cast interaction beyond the Rodney-Carter dance which may get too old too quick, unless the kid sister adds to the mix and makes it even more fun. If she's a scientist, then having Sam work with her in some way would be great to watch too.

3) I loved the idea of Sam as a point of unity rather than dissension. Absolutely on the mark! TPTB should listen up on that one and then they'll have a winning combination.

4) Sam supporting the growth of Weir and Teyla somehow
                          Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 21 November 2006, 11:29 AM.

Comment

As much as you can make a very valid argument to bring Sam's arc to an end with the end of SG1, the reality is that AT has been signed to a contract and, at this moment, she is committed to being used by the studio in upcoming seasons of Atlantis. I think she is also concerned at how well that will be handled and what kind of scripts she will be handed.

Perhaps, in the best of all worlds, Sam Carter would walk through the gate one last time with Teal'c and Daniel and the saga would end, only to be resurrected in a movie or two.

Amanda talked about the very last day on set for S10 and said that CB and BB actually gave her and CJ and MS some private space and time to process the last filming. She said there was a lot of crying during the final take
                            Spoiler:
                            where the three of them walk on and up the ramp and through the Stargate. She was pretty much a basket case and then they were all told that the going through the Gate had to be re-shot!
                            Finally, she and Chris and Michael wandered up the steps to the control room and spent some quiet time there looking out at the set, the huge Stargate prop and reliving how they felt the very first time they came on set ten years ago. It was a nice story
                            Oh wow! I have tears in my eyes as I imagine
                            Spoiler:
                            the three of them walking up the ramp for the last time!!
                            And seing them standing looking over the set they have spent the last ten years of their life working. All the stories they have told and the fun times they have had shared together. I think it also shows what a class act CB and BB are that they allowed them the time to do just that. kuddos on that sharing that story with us!
                            Spoiler:
                            Hugs to AT, CJ, and MS for an emotional fairwell.

Comment

Hey all...I've been out of commission the past few days as I have been working on a video for that SG-1 contest and I'd like to share it with you here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YjoHoCxpaAQ

Can you name all the episodes referenced?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I'm aware of that. I'm aware that this is going to happen, regardless of what I or most others think about it.

But I'm inclined to point out that I feel that TPTB, all of them, from Brad Wright and Rob Cooper to the Sci-Fi Channel and MGM, have all been nothing but mecenary in their willingness to cannibalize whatever they feel they need from SG-1 to continue Atlantis in whatever fashion manages to make it to screen. The show has been a long series of gimmicks and stunts. I just see the addition of Sam Carter as another patch on the ever unraveling tapestry of Stargate Atlantis.

Originally Posted by ann_sgcfan
                                Spoiler:

In response to some of what golfbooy said... I see it a little differently then you golfbooy, but I agree on some of your points.

When I think of Sam Carter I do think of SG-1 = Daniel, Teal'c, and of course Jack. But the way the character was handled in S9 and some in S10
                                Spoiler:
                                although she was leading the SGC in one episode and she was leading SG-1 occasionally
                                I still have a problem with her playing second fiddle to a newbie. Sorry two years through the gate doesn't make you experienced enough to lead a team with 10 years of experience together. So tptb have already done a huge disservice to the character on SG-1 in my mind. It's no secret I want SG-1 to finish what they developed. Instead of demoting Carter. I think she should be leading SG-1.

Do I think they will correct this in the movies?? Doubtful. I think they will continue to ignore the rich tapestry that has woven this series for so many years. It's like tptb have cut the strings of the past and trying to use new material and technique to finish the quilt. When the finished product is displayed there is this rich beautiful quilt only partial complete with sackcloth stabled on the ends… my own opinion of course. Although to be fair I think s10 has improved some from s9.

This is the reason I don't mind Sam commanding a ship. Do I want the Stargate displayed. YES, but I'm not getting that now on SG-1. Do I want Sam to remain forever on SG-1. Not if means, she isn't leading the team she led previously. I can't fathom the career driven character I have watched develop from Captain to Lt. Colonel still being 2IC of SG-1. I get the impression from tptb that if they had their way they would keep Sam as 2IC forever. And that doesn't bold well with the fact she already led the team!! So if she had an opportunity to captain a ship she also helped develop then I'm all for it! It's a step in the right direction instead of being pushed to the background on the flagship team. I want the character to grow and not continuously get demoted like s9.

I think AT's roles on Atlantis so far have been fun to watch. I don't think it diminished her character at all. I think McKay’s illusions are just that, typical McKay delusions. So I took it in the context it was meant to be and it was fun to watch! Now I'm not saying I want her character appearing as McKay’s delusions. I'm just saying they did it once and it was fun. I see Sam on Atlantis as a glimpse into what Sam is doing now at the SGC or on her own ship. She doesn't take a permanent part on Atlantis, just a reoccurring role as the same character I have watched for 10 seasons.

I do understand where you are coming from Golfbooy. I agree I worry about how tptb will portray Sam on Atlantis and the movies. If she had a ship she might not play an important role in the movie and that doesn’t bold well for me either. So I don’t really know what the answer is. I just know I don’t like how tptb have portrayed the character on SG-1 in s9 and parts of s10, but I have liked her guest appearance on Atlantis.

I too don’t want any of the Atlantis characters getting less development since Sam will be there. It’s not fun seeing your favorite character being diminished to the background, so I don’t wish that on the Atlantis folks either. I think CG pointed out exactly the stipulations for a positive appearance on Atlantis in my opinion.
                                I understand how you feel. I think worried and unsure is how most of us would classify our feelings about all of Stargate's future. And I most certainly understand how you feel regarding Sam's position on SG-1. But in the same vein, I'd have just as big a problem with Sam Carter commanding a space ship as I do with Cameron Mitchell commanding an SG team. Ironically, the two would fit rather well were they in each other's place. You can't justify to me that the Air Force, the SGC, hell, Earth, is just gonna let Sam Carter, wallow in a chair all day long. The position is just not consistent with the character I've watched for ten years. I believe the SGC can spare a William Ronson or Lionel Pendergast with such mundanity, but not one of the pillars upon which the entire program is supported.

I can't help but see this in the exact same regard as I (and most others) see Falstaff--a great, even legendary, character who finds an ignominious and unsuitable end after being thrown into a play where he doesn't belong for the cheap thrill of having him there.

Spoiler:
                                On a more postive note, I've read elsewhere that RDA is reportedly working to "get into shape" for filming. And I've read that Gekko is rumored to be back on board for SG-1 movies. Small victories if true, but good ones.
                                Last edited by golfbooy; 21 November 2006, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X