The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LadyGalaxyJ View Post
    *waves to Wendy* Shall we rename you The Travelling Woohoo? Sounds like you're having fun though, so enjoy it!

Perfect name.

...random question: Is it too early to feel the Christmas spirit?

Er, yes!

Although to be fair, I'm probably the wrong person to answer that; I think December 23rd is too early to be feeling Christmassy.

Sorry to be all Bah Humbug. I'm one of those who just does not like Christmas. I've really tried, mostly for Benjabub's sake (it's only fair to him that it be a magical experience for him) but... sorry, I dislike the whole thing.
    It's not because I had a crappy childhood and bad Christmases as a kid or anything; I have plenty of happy Christmas memories as a child; I just don't like the stress and expense of it all. If it were possible to ditch the present exchange oneupmanship, the ridiculous amounts of over-rich food we force ourselves to eat and the stupid adverts and Christmas specials that saturate the TV and just have the carol singing and the candy canes, and the satsuma at the bottom of the stocking then I'd be happy with that.

But, y'know if you love it, embrace the magic I say. The guy round the corner from me has already started putting his lights up. Every year he covers his house top to toe with them; he's got the entire roof covered in a fine mesh of white lights this year. It's a wonder planes haven't tried to land on it!

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
    If anybody else feels like making a poster, do it soon as I'm going to start sending them to him soon
    CS5 now installed so I will be doing so ASAP.

I'm off to bed - got a couple of little ones staying over so I'm expecting to be woken early tomorrow
    Welcome to my life. Hope it's not too early. Benjabubs had a ridiculously late night (2 nights in a row thanks to Children In Need and Ebay respectively) so I am hoping for a decent lay in tomorrow.
    sigpic

Comment

what the hell did they do to photobucket. The new one sucks and doesn't work for me. Tried to go back to the old one and the whole thing just freezes. No way to make the pictures smaller and within size anymore. Photobucket is now worthless!
      sigpic

Comment

from their FAQs about the "new" PB
        Can I still get links for my photos and videos?

Yes, but this may look a little different for you if you're used to copying links directly from your album page. When you're viewing your thumbnails, hover your mouse over the top-right corner of the thumbnail, then select get media links. You'll get a menu that shows all the link codes you have enabled for your account, which you can copy and paste just like on the old site.
        How do I edit photos?

If you're already viewing the photo you want to edit, click the edit icon beside the Options menu to load that photo in the editor. If you're not already viewing the photo, click the Edit link in the black bar at the top of the page, then navigate to the photo in the menu provided.
        Photo Editing

Personally, I hope I can hang on to the classic PB for awhile yet. They've already taken away the stats feature. Not sure what else is going by the wayside to try and force me to change.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
          what the hell did they do to photobucket. The new one sucks and doesn't work for me. Tried to go back to the old one and the whole thing just freezes. No way to make the pictures smaller and within size anymore. Photobucket is now worthless!
          You can reduce the size in Photoshop, then 'save for web and devices' to get them under 100kb. Or you can just post thumbnails from photobucket.

I don't think anyone actually likes the new version

I'm with Cags, I don't do Christmas, at all!

Comment

You can reduce the size in Photoshop, then 'save for web and devices' to get them under 100kb. Or you can just post thumbnails from photobucket.
            Does imageshack, picasa, flicker, tinypic or pixentral have the same features/sharing that photobucket does? I've never used them myself.
            sigpic
            Signature made by Madness reigns.

Comment

imageshack certainly does, I believe picasa also. I'm not familiar enough with the others
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by callmezippy View Post
                Does imageshack, picasa, flicker, tinypic or pixentral have the same features/sharing that photobucket does? I've never used them myself.
                I have no idea, haven't used any of those - sorry

Comment

I don't think anyone actually likes the new version

I'm with Cags, I don't do Christmas, at all!
                  I don't do Xmas at my house at all since my Mom's passing. But still have to celebrate in No. Cal with Nephew and his family and my sister-in-law. But because of the economy I have finally got them to stop giving gifts to anyone but the kids (or so it is suppose to happen) - we will see.

Mind you I'm not being stingy....I just hate not buying what I need so I can give them a list of things I should have bought already - and then acting surprised when they show up as gifts! And this has been going on for quite a few years! Trust me!
                  sigpic

Comment

Christmas is not the big celebration for me. We usually spend it only my parents and I together. Sometimes my grandmother comes over if she's not with one of her other children. New Year's (Eve) is the big party for us! But the family that comes over is more made out of friends than actual blood-related family people. It's perfect that way -- it's the people that are closer to us, and it's about being together each year at this time of the year.

So anyway, in my sort of early-ish holiday mood, I went and bought a dress today! I've never worn a dress to our family party since I was old enough to take care of the children, but now that the children are old enough to take care of themselves, I decided I would indulge in a new dress. It's dark purple, and pretty simple, but I love it!

I also got distracted and bought two new pair pants, a shirt and a coat.

But you won't see me getting my decorations out anytime soon, or listening to Christmas music. Way too early for that on a daily basis.
                    sigpic
                    Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
                    My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
                    Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

No one has posted anything from the Anderson's dinner yet so:

The first 2 pictures were my sticky Toffee pudding (best ever) and steak dinner. The second two pictures were Claire's chicken pie and lime cheese cake. You will have to look to others for the rest of the meals. Only got those two meals!

As for who was there, here are some other pictures I took:

Sorry they aren't any larger but you can blame Photo Bucket for that! And yes there was one guy with us.....Paul you dog!
                      Last edited by llp; 19 November 2012, 08:17 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Gz on the 69

EDIT and random question: Is it too early to feel the Christmas spirit? We're doing winter/holiday songs with the kids in dance school to prepare a short presentation they're doing at their last class, and it has put me in a Christmas mood (which is a bit horrible since we're only mid-November).
                        I'd like to say no - but I was feeling a little festive recently too. I have to sort of ignore it till at least the 4th Dec though (my sister's birthday) - rules are nothing christmassy no tree up no decs etc. till she's had her birthday

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                        Just wanted to share that I'm a Lieutenant Colonel now!!!! (I spent the day spamming the Shipsgiving thread )
                        Gz!

(Which brings the question of where I was and why I didn't ask Laurie to see it... Probably busy walking around the Ren in stripper shoes and having way too much fun in them. )
                        I meant to ask - how did the stripper shoes thing go? Well I hope

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                        Although to be fair, I'm probably the wrong person to answer that; I think December 23rd is too early to be feeling Christmassy.

Sorry to be all Bah Humbug. I'm one of those who just does not like Christmas. I've really tried, mostly for Benjabub's sake (it's only fair to him that it be a magical experience for him) but... sorry, I dislike the whole thing.
                        It's not because I had a crappy childhood and bad Christmases as a kid or anything; I have plenty of happy Christmas memories as a child; I just don't like the stress and expense of it all. If it were possible to ditch the present exchange oneupmanship, the ridiculous amounts of over-rich food we force ourselves to eat and the stupid adverts and Christmas specials that saturate the TV and just have the carol singing and the candy canes, and the satsuma at the bottom of the stocking then I'd be happy with that.
                        BIB - I'd agree with that. And the over-rich food - as nice as it can be to eat a little I (like a lot of people I think) always end up eating too much and spending most of the days feeling ill

I would say I like christmas in general though. I like decorating and the pretty lights And it's nice to see family

But, y'know if you love it, embrace the magic I say. The guy round the corner from me has already started putting his lights up. Every year he covers his house top to toe with them; he's got the entire roof covered in a fine mesh of white lights this year. It's a wonder planes haven't tried to land on it!
                        There's a house between where I live and where my parents live - and they leave their christmas lights up the whole year - never ever take them down (at least they haven't for the past few years!).

The new PB definitely sucks. I know sites like to "update and make things better" but more often than not it just makes life harder (another example being Facebook I think).

I'm afraid I haven't used all of those - but when I used tinypic a few years back every now and then my images would just completely vanish - so I wouldn't say it's very reliable, but it could have improved since then.

Christmas is not the big celebration for me. We usually spend it only my parents and I together. Sometimes my grandmother comes over if she's not with one of her other children. New Year's (Eve) is the big party for us! But the family that comes over is more made out of friends than actual blood-related family people. It's perfect that way -- it's the people that are closer to us, and it's about being together each year at this time of the year.
                        BIB - Agree - that's one of the best things.

So anyway, in my sort of early-ish holiday mood, I went and bought a dress today! I've never worn a dress to our family party since I was old enough to take care of the children, but now that the children are old enough to take care of themselves, I decided I would indulge in a new dress. It's dark purple, and pretty simple, but I love it!

I also got distracted and bought two new pair pants, a shirt and a coat.

But you won't see me getting my decorations out anytime soon, or listening to Christmas music. Way too early for that on a daily basis.
                        Yay for buying a new dress! You should take a pic and show us all

No one has posted anything from the Anderson's dinner yet so:
                        <snip>

The first 2 pictures were my sticky pudding and steak dinner. The second two pictures were Claire's chicken pie and lime cheese cake. You will have to look to others for the rest of the meals. Only got those two meals!
                        The food looks really yummy!

Slightly random question - does the sticky pudding (is it toffee?) have fruit in it? It's something that really bugs me - that for ages it used to be just cake and all of a sudden it's got fruit in it
                        /cake rant
                        sigpic
                        ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ my fanfics ~ my twitter ~ teslen thread ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Thanks for sharing the pics Laurie, and you did right to post them as thumbnails

Amy - yes, it's sticky toffee pudding, and no, it doesn't have fruit in it

Comment

Amy - yes, it's sticky toffee pudding, and no, it doesn't have fruit in it
                            Not quite. It's The Best Sticky Toffee Pudding In The World. Ever. Yeah, just ask Josi, she'll verify that.

Lovely pics Laurie, thanks for sharing.

Welcome! No idea I'm afraid. All I know is I tried the new PB for about a week and hated it so much I switched back... and told them why. My main gripes are 1. why change the language of how they describe things so we end up confused as to what's what. and 2. not being able to hover and click to get a link to share your pics. Having to go "click click click" to do that sort of defeats the main reason I stick with PB rather than swap to other image hosting sites. The editing thing does not bother me so much because I rarely edit in PB itself.

I don't do Xmas at my house at all since my Mom's passing. But still have to celebrate in No. Cal with Nephew and his family and my sister-in-law. But because of the economy I have finally got them to stop giving gifts to anyone but the kids (or so it is suppose to happen) - we will see.

Mind you I'm not being stingy....I just hate not buying what I need so I can give them a list of things I should have bought already - and then acting surprised when they show up as gifts! And this has been going on for quite a few years! Trust me!
                            Nah you're not stingy at all. It's absurdly expensive these days; you can't actually buy anything half decent for a child for under £15 these days; and the older the child, the less you can get away with cheaper generic "oh he/she will like anything" presents. We only really buy for the littlies... even then, that's not entirely fairly balanced; I know it shouldn't be a numbers game but I have 8 nephews/nieces and only one child of my own so I end up spending more on all them combined than I do on Benjabubs. Although not this year; I'm going to be the one to draw the line on it and stop this. I'm not bothered B won't get as much either; the house is already overflowing with toys and games (half of which he doesn't play but won't let me rehome - a bone of contention after our "debate" about it yesterday) so for him to not get yet more stuff he doesn't really want and will barely play with won't upset me too much.

... which is ok if you actually want to see half your family. Most of mine... no ta!

Well done on the shopping though. I call that a successful trip. Whenever I go out to buy something, it usually ends in a dismal failure to even buy anything....er, except a book; I always end up spending an hour or so in Waterstones and buying something.
                            sigpic

Comment

After the HUGE success of the colour theme last year we're going to go with another theme ....... just as soon as I get it sorted

WOOHOODSTOCK SEKRIT SANTA!!

If you want to join in, pm me by the 26th November with details (see below) - names will then be put in a hat and assignments sent out on 28th

*Name:*
                              Preferences:
                              Fave tv shows:
                              Characters/pairings:
                              Colours you love/hate:
                              Fave PTB:
                              Music/Lyrics:
                              Special requests/No no’s:
                              Last edited by Jumble; 25 November 2012, 03:47 AM.

Comment

*drools at andersons*

*huggles non-Christmassy people for Christmas* I would love to love Christmas, but since my parents always go, since I was 15, to Italy(wintersports vacation) with Christmas and New Years I don't really like it...

And spend my afternoon PSing all these little ones into one picture with a new background :
                                Spoiler:

(clicky for biggy)
                                I helped deliver this litter and saw them grow up the last eight weeks! Now they all went to their new owners! (except one is staying at the breeder) Such cutie pies!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X