Smoke on the Water

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Boys and their toys

French Fries

Just another day in paradise

Hee.
    Spoiler:
    Boys and Their Toys

Elizabeth and her daughter walked along the hallway towards their quarters, intending to swing by and pick up the boys for dinner in the mess hall. “I hope they have turkey tonight,” said Emily, “I’m starving.” Elizabeth smiled at the seven year old, whose culinary tastes closely resembled her father’s.

“Yeah, me too.” They reached their set of rooms and entered, but stopped just inside the doorway when they saw what was going on. The couch and pair of armchairs had all been pushed to one side of the room, and John, Connor, and Rodney were all sitting in the cleared space on the floor, remote controls in their hands, racing miniature cars around a toy track.

“C’mon, go, go, go!” Rodney urged, his eyes fixed on the blue car speeding around the circular track. Connor was likewise captivated by the green one; he was biting his bottom lip as he concentrated, his index finger mashing the gas button on the controller so hard his knuckles had turned white. John was the most laid back of the three, lying propped up on one elbow as he sent the red car flying around the track with the ease that came of long practice.

Elizabeth folded her arms across her chest and leaned back against the doorframe, enjoying the sight as she watched them with an amused smile on her face, all the while plotting in the back of her mind exactly how they would be made to put her living room back in order when they were done. Emily stood next to her, her hands on her hips as she observed the race.

“Hurry up! Gooo!” pleaded Connor, bouncing anxiously on his heels, his wild brown hair springing up and down with the motion. “Woohoo, yeah!” he cried, throwing his arms up in the air in celebration.

“Aww, come on, not again!” Rodney complained. “That’s the fifth time he’s won already!”

John flashed him a smug grin. “Hey, you can’t argue with talent, Rodney.”

The Canadian shot him a dirty look. “Alright then, fine, let’s go again. Just you and me this time.”

“If you think it’ll make a difference…”

As Connor crowed with excitement and the two grown-ups started setting up the track for another race, Emily turned to look at her mother, her small brow furrowed in confusion. “Hey Mom, aren’t Daddy and Uncle Rodney too old to play with toys like that?”

Elizabeth smiled fondly at her daughter. She’d often thought the same thing, but had long ago learned to accept the fact that at heart her husband was perpetually twelve years old. It was just one of the many many things she loved about him. “Technically, sweetheart.” Another moan from Rodney as he lost yet another race, and John’s laughter filled the room. “But when you get older you’ll find that a lot of the time it can become very difficult to separate the boys from their toys.”
    Last edited by Erin87; 07 September 2009, 03:50 PM.
    sigpic
    Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
      Prompdidy prompt prompt prompts....

Summer Nights

How do you turn this thing on, anyway?

Smoke on the Water

Boys and their toys

French Fries

Here I am, yet again. I feel kind of bad posting this directly after the other one, but anyway. This one's another poem.

Spoiler:
      Another Day in Paradise

Elizabeth:
      I sit at my desk and read a report
      About some world just like a tropic resort.
      Someone knocks on my door. Another complaint?
      Oh, this really is trying my self-restraint.
      He goes on and on, but I nod and I smile
      Thinking no doubt this will take quite a while.

My head starts to ache as he drones about rice.
      Just another day in paradise.

John:
      I slip and my face hits the floor with a smack
      Too slow in avoiding Ronon’s hard whack.
      The big guy just smiles- he knows that he wins-
      His right hook is worse than all manner of sins.
      We’ve been at this all day, sparring for hours,
      And all that I want is to just hit the showers.

I leave the gym finally, longing for ice.

Both:
      The breeze is so cool as we step out the door,
      And the day melts away to be trouble no more.
      The balcony’s quiet, the ocean is calm
      And your hand feels just right tucked away in my palm.
      We lean on the railing, enjoying the night.
      Our city indeed is a beautiful sight.

Your arms are around me - the feeling’s so nice-
      sigpic
      Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Erin87 View Post
        Thanks SK. Glad you liked the drawing.

Hee.
        Spoiler:
        Boys and Their Toys

Elizabeth and her daughter walked along the hallway towards their quarters, intending to swing by and pick up the boys for dinner in the mess hall. “I hope they have turkey tonight,” said Emily, “I’m starving.” Elizabeth smiled at the seven year old, whose culinary tastes closely resembled her father’s.

“Yeah, me too.” They reached their set of rooms and entered, but stopped just inside the doorway when they saw what was going on. The couch and pair of armchairs had all been pushed to one side of the room, and John, Connor, and Rodney were all sitting in the cleared space on the floor, remote controls in their hands, racing miniature cars around a toy track.

“C’mon, go, go, go!” Rodney urged, his eyes fixed on the blue car speeding around the circular track. Connor was likewise captivated by the green one; he was biting his bottom lip as he concentrated, his index finger mashing the gas button on the controller so hard his knuckles had turned white. John was the most laid back of the three, lying propped up on one elbow as he sent the red car flying around the track with the ease that came of long practice.

Elizabeth folded her arms across her chest and leaned back against the doorframe, enjoying the sight as she watched them with an amused smile on her face, all the while plotting in the back of her mind exactly how they would be made to put her living room back in order when they were done. Emily stood next to her, her hands on her hips as she observed the race.

“Hurry up! Gooo!” pleaded Connor, bouncing anxiously on his heels, his wild brown hair springing up and down with the motion. “Woohoo, yeah!” he cried, throwing his arms up in the air in celebration.

“Aww, come on, not again!” Rodney complained. “That’s the fifth time he’s won already!”

The Canadian shot him a dirty look. “Alright then, fine, let’s go again. Just you and me this time.”

As Connor crowed with excitement and the two grown-ups started setting up the track for another race, Emily turned to look at her mother, her small brow furrowed in confusion. “Hey Mom, aren’t Daddy and Uncle Rodney too old to play with toys like that?”

Elizabeth smiled fondly at her daughter. She’d often thought the same thing, but had long ago learned to accept the fact that at heart her husband was perpetually twelve years old. It was just one of the many many things she loved about him. “Technically, sweetheart.” Another moan from Rodney as he lost yet another race, and John’s laughter filled the room. “But when you get older you’ll find that a lot of the time it can become very difficult to separate the boys from their toys.”
        Here I am, yet again. I feel kind of bad posting this directly after the other one, but anyway. This one's another poem.

Spoiler:
        Another Day in Paradise

Elizabeth:

John:

Both:

These were just great. We have definitely hit on something with these prompts. Let's keep going.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Thanks SK. Glad you liked the drawing.

Hee.
          Spoiler:
          Boys and Their Toys

Loved it. My hubby is just like John, perpetually 12.

Spoiler:
          Another Day in Paradise

Elizabeth:

John:

Both:

Awww, that's sweet....

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          These were just great. We have definitely hit on something with these prompts. Let's keep going.
          I agree!

Wanders off to generate some creativity for the prompt machine....
          sigpic
          Signature by Erin87

Comment

Hmm. The same sort of discussion was going on here at the first airing of The Tower. A lot saw the Sparky. Some didn't. I don't think technically we ever do see a definitive episode that reveals John's feelings for anyone in a way that can't be taken several ways. Except in TLG. He knew what could happen if they let a married couple inhabit their bodies. Yet he did it anyway. Now that seems like he's willing to allow just about anything to happen. I can't really explain why he did it if he thought of her as just a friend.
            Precisely. This has never been explained and naturally nothing was said on the commentary. But it was thoroughly discussed in the dialogue.

Part one:

Spoiler:
            WEIR: Well, the imprinting will only last a matter of hours. The other pod -- Phebus urgently desires to be here when we bring the other pod back to Atlantis.

SHEPPARD: Why?

(Elizabeth smiles.)

WEIR: She believes it's her husband.

CALDWELL: Husband?

WEIR: He escaped the ship -- she's certain of it and, uh ... (she laughs) the rush of emotion is ... it's overwhelming.

SHEPPARD: I can imagine.

McKAY (pointedly): No, no, you can't.

SHEPPARD: No -- I can't.

WEIR: John, I'd like you to try. (She smiles at him.) Phebus has a favour she would like to ask of you.

(She raises her eyebrows at him, smiling. John looks at her suspiciously.)

Then later: Part two where Rodney in particular seems delighted with the idea. John is a bit reluctant but he is doing it because Elizabeth asked him to. Or so he thinks.

Spoiler:
            (As Carson wheels her closer, Elizabeth stands up and steps closer to the pod. The other scientists leave the room.)

BECKETT: Physically, she's perfectly fine. Besides, Elizabeth wouldn't take no for an answer.

WEIR: Ah, love is a powerful thing, Carson.

SHEPPARD: You're a hopeless romantic, you know that?

WEIR (smiling at him): Well, you're just as hopeless, otherwise you wouldn't have agreed.

BECKETT: I've gone over the respective E.E.G. patterns and I can say with some degree of confidence that this ... imprinting ... that Doctor Weir's temporary occupant calls it won't last more than a few hours.

CALDWELL: You can guarantee that?

BECKETT: A day at most.

McKAY: Well! I'm sold! Shall we? (He backs away from the pod.) And ... (He presses something on his computer tablet. The lid of the pod slides open, revealing an elderly man inside. He too is wearing a uniform although his is brown whereas Phebus' was green.)

BECKETT (checking his scanner): He's still alive. (Elizabeth looks down at the old man.) Same as before. Life signs even fainter than the first one. If we're gonna do this, we should do it now.

(Caldwell turns to John.)

CALDWELL: I'd prefer if this alien consciousness weren't armed.

SHEPPARD: Right. (He takes his pistol out of its holster and holds it out to Rodney.)

McKAY: Oh!

(He takes it. John looks down at the old man in the pod.)

BECKETT: Colonel Sheppard. You'll have to be in close proximity to the pod for the transfer to happen.

SHEPPARD (nervously): Yeah, yeah, I know. (He continues to look down at the old man.)

BECKETT: But you're not moving.

SHEPPARD: You know, they were husband and wife. Anything could happen.

(Elizabeth lowers her head, takes a deep breath and raises it again as Phebus takes over.)

WEIR: I promise to be discreet, Colonel.

SHEPPARD: Well, um, I guess I'll see you guys later. (He starts to walk slowly towards the pod.)

McKAY: Have fun!
            Maybe I'm a backwards Sparky girl...I always thought John's feelings were a little more well-conveyed than Elizabeth's. In our top Sparky moments, it's always John who's a little over-the-top, or awkward and uncomfortable, while Elizabeth seems to keep her cool. She worries obviously, but I don't feel the same vibe from her in CG, for example, as I do from him in TRW.

She gets away with teasing him a lot in stuff like The Tower, and he seems to always be awkward about it. He does the same thing in stuff like Inferno and Misbegotten. Then, when she's compromised, he gets deliciously perturbed about it (Irresistable).

As for TLG, I love the 'promise to be discreet' line. Discreet in what regard? They're married. In that context there's discreet (as in we'll say our last goodbyes with kisses and hugs) and then discreet (as in 'I'm not going to jump you in front of everybody, only when we're alone.')

And by the way, notice how long it takes after she reassures him to head right on over to that pod.

Also, I'd love to know what Elizabeth was thinking at that point. Obviously she knew that Phoebus wasn't married to Thalen (or that they hated each other, whatever that relationship was) but she also had to be aware of the fact John was accepting playing the role of husband.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            Oh, there's lots of episodes. But here's a few for starters:

The Long Goodbye - He did agree to host Thalan's spirit so that Phoebus could be reunited with her "husband." Surely he did it because he knew that Elizabeth would be more comfortable with him.

The Real World - He broke quarantine and risked infection by nanites to save her.

Adrift - John's woobie!face of doom while watching Lizzie's brain surgery says it all.

Lifeline - John's woobie!face of doom while vowing to find Lizzie also says it all.
            I would add GITM to the list, and the 'what if one of them could stay' line. One of the sparkiest lines of all time, IMO, because there's no reason for him to ask that except selfishly wanting to keep her there with him. Think about it for a second. Obviously Elizabeth will be somewhere when the business of creating organic bodies is complete--so it's not like he wouldn't know where she is. And he's not asking in relation to her job--Elizabeth won't be head of Atlantis, at least not immediately because there's a lot of 'stuff' the IOA/SGC would have to sort through with her.

So you ask, 'why does he ask?' The only answer is that he's being selfish. He wants her there. That's indisputable. Now why--maybe you can argue that. Obviously we all believe John is deeply invested in his friends, but to me that line just hints at something more. If she was just a friend, I'd say it would be enough for him to know where she was. The fact he was asking Woolsey to let her stay in Atlantis, with him--that to me is proof John feels a little something more than friendship towards her.

More on this in GITM discussion...

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
            Prompdidy prompt prompt prompts....

Summer Nights

How do you turn this thing on, anyway?

Smoke on the Water

Boys and their toys

French Fries

Spoiler:

John felt his heartbeat pick up as the door to the East Pier slid open. For a split second he imagined himself in one of those old black and white detective movies, everything obscured by white fog and a far off buoy clanging in the distance.

He stepped out onto the metal surface, surprised by how quiet everything was. The fog--or smoke rather, still rising from the burning debris scattered around--had silenced everything into eerie stillness.

Two marines trudged up next to him, their faces become clear only when they were nearly on top of him. The first offered a short salute.

"Anything?"

"No sir," the young man replied. "No sign of anything surviving from the wreckage."

That was a small blessing. "What about the people out here?"

The two marines glanced at one another. "We haven't found anyone, sir."

He felt his heartbeat quicken. "Doctor Weir and Doctor Beckett were out here when it happened."

The other marine nodded. "Yes sir. We haven't seen sign of them, sir."

His hand was on his radio before the marine had finished talking. "Rodney, have you heard from Elizabeth and Carson?"

"No!" came the static-laden reply, which quickly moved from irritation to panic. "You mean they haven't found them?"

John pushed past the two men. "Life signs?"

There was silence for a moment. "None."

His heart was in his throat. "Are you sure?"

"It's possible interference from the crashed Cruiser is messing with the life signs detector, but that..."

All John needed to hear. He trudged forward, through the thick smoke, leaving the two questioning marines behind. His voice echoed through the denseness, muffled and raspy. "ELIZABETH! BECKETT!"

One minute. Two. "ELIZABETH! CARSON!"

He'd nearly reached the end of the pier. "ELIZABETH! ELIZABETH! COME ON, ANSWER DAMMIT!"

"John...?" croaked a thin voice, followed by a cough. The thrumming in his ears stopped for a brief second, and he felt a little lightheaded. "Elizabeth?!"

"Here..."

He darted to the edge of the pier, almost losing his footing in the thickness of the smoke. He found them on the small ledge which housed some of the communications antennae, Carson unconscious with a nasty gash across his forehead and Elizabeth, kneeling next to him, tending to his forehead. She glanced up as John knelt down, soot and ash streaking her face, which appeared slightly burned.

She coughed a few times, but smiled at him. "We barely got down here when the Cruiser hit. How's the city? I couldn't tell if it hit anything, the explosion was so loud."

He swallowed, somehow unable to answer her, and took another deep breath, trying to calm his still rapidly beating heart. Only after she tossed him a seriously concerned look could he find voice. "The city's fine. No one else was injured. We just...we didn't know where you were. Someone mentioned the East Pier. I thought..."

"We're fine. I'm just glad the ledge is here, otherwise we'd have gone base jumping." She glanced at the ocean, which rolled a good forty-feet somewhere below them, obscured now by the smog. "Carson's going to be off-duty for a while, though. He might like that." Elizabeth smiled. "I'm relieved no one was hurt."

"Me, too," John whispered. Behind him, the two young marines were fast approaching, by the pace of their footsteps. Rodney was squawking in his ear now, too, wanting to be updated. He unclipped his P-90, and lay on the edge of the pier, extending his arms down. Elizabeth cast a concerned glance at Carson.

"Marines are on their way. We'll be able to get him up in a minute or so."

She thought about it for a moment, then grabbed his arms, allowing him to haul her up. As she clambered over the edge her pulled her fully into his arms, and for a moment, held tight.

Her grasp around him tightened, and her head found his shoulder. Her hair was sooty and smelled of smoke, but also salt air, seawater, shampoo--life.

The smoke was beginning to rise, the sea around them becoming ever so slightly clear. Elizabeth lifted her head as the marines neared them, and let him go to rise and greet them.

Both boys smiled with genuine pleasure, and one raised his hand in a sort of half-salute. "Doctor Weir. Hello, ma'am. Glad you're alright."

John's heartbeat was returning to normal, and his vision was clearing, though not all of the blurriness was due to the smoke. As he rose, he forced a cheeky grin onto his face. "Enough kissing up to the boss. Doctor Beckett's down on the ledge, we need to get him up and to the infirmary."
            Last edited by Eri13; 07 September 2009, 05:21 PM.
            Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
              Maybe I'm a backwards Sparky girl...I always thought John's feelings were a little more well-conveyed than Elizabeth's. In our top Sparky moments, it's always John who's a little over-the-top, or awkward and uncomfortable, while Elizabeth seems to keep her cool. She worries obviously, but I don't feel the same vibe from her in CG, for example, as I do from him in TRW.

She gets away with teasing him a lot in stuff like The Tower, and he seems to always be awkward about it. He does the same thing in stuff like Inferno and Misbegotten. Then, when she's compromised, he gets deliciously perturbed about it (Irresistable).

As for TLG, I love the 'promise to be discreet' line. Discreet in what regard? They're married. In that context there's discreet (as in we'll say our last goodbyes with kisses and hugs) and then discreet (as in 'I'm not going to jump you in front of everybody, only when we're alone.')

And by the way, notice how long it takes after she reassures him to head right on over to that pod.

Also, I'd love to know what Elizabeth was thinking at that point. Obviously she knew that Phoebus wasn't married to Thalen (or that they hated each other, whatever that relationship was) but she also had to be aware of the fact John was accepting playing the role of husband.

I would add GITM to the list, and the 'what if one of them could stay' line. One of the sparkiest lines of all time, IMO, because there's no reason for him to ask that except selfishly wanting to keep her there with him. Think about it for a second. Obviously Elizabeth will be somewhere when the business of creating organic bodies is complete--so it's not like he wouldn't know where she is. And he's not asking in relation to her job--Elizabeth won't be head of Atlantis, at least not immediately because there's a lot of 'stuff' the IOA/SGC would have to sort through with her.

So you ask, 'why does he ask?' The only answer is that he's being selfish. He wants her there. That's indisputable. Now why--maybe you can argue that. Obviously we all believe John is deeply invested in his friends, but to me that line just hints at something more. If she was just a friend, I'd say it would be enough for him to know where she was. The fact he was asking Woolsey to let her stay in Atlantis, with him--that to me is proof John feels a little something more than friendship towards her.

Spoiler:

John felt his heartbeat pick up as the door to the East Pier slid open. For a split second he imagined himself in one of those old black and white detective movies, everything obscured by white fog and a far off buoy clanging in the distance.

He stepped out onto the metal surface, surprised by how quiet everything was. The fog--or smoke rather, still rising from the burning debris scattered around--had silenced everything into eerie stillness.

Two marines trudged up next to him, their faces become clear only when they were nearly on top of him. The first offered a short salute.

"Anything?"

"No sir," the young man replied. "No sign of anything surviving from the wreckage."

That was a small blessing. "What about the people out here?"

The two marines glanced at one another. "We haven't found anyone, sir."

He felt his heartbeat quicken. "Doctor Weir and Doctor Beckett were out here when it happened."

The other marine nodded. "Yes sir. We haven't seen sign of them, sir."

His hand was on his radio before the marine had finished talking. "Rodney, have you heard from Elizabeth and Carson?"

"No!" came the static-laden reply, which quickly moved from irritation to panic. "You mean they haven't found them?"

John pushed past the two men. "Life signs?"

There was silence for a moment. "None."

His heart was in his throat. "Are you sure?"

"It's possible interference from the crashed Cruiser is messing with the life signs detector, but that..."

All John needed to hear. He trudged forward, through the thick smoke, leaving the two questioning marines behind. His voice echoed through the denseness, muffled and raspy. "ELIZABETH! BECKETT!"

One minute. Two. "ELIZABETH! CARSON!"

He'd nearly reached the end of the pier. "ELIZABETH! ELIZABETH! COME ON, ANSWER DAMMIT!"

"John...?" croaked a thin voice, followed by a cough. The thrumming in his ears stopped for a brief second, and he felt a little lightheaded. "Elizabeth?!"

"Here..."

He darted to the edge of the pier, almost losing his footing in the thickness of the smoke. He found them on the small ledge which housed some of the communications antennae, Carson unconscious with a nasty gash across his forehead and Elizabeth, kneeling next to him, tending to his forehead. She glanced up as John knelt down, soot and ash streaking her face, which appeared slightly burned.

She coughed a few times, but smiled at him. "We barely got down here when the Cruiser hit. How's the city? I couldn't tell if it hit anything, the explosion was so loud."

He swallowed, somehow unable to answer her, and took another deep breath, trying to calm his still rapidly beating heart. Only after she tossed him a seriously concerned look could he find voice. "The city's fine. No one else was injured. We just...we didn't know where you were. Someone mentioned the East Pier. I thought..."

"We're fine. I'm just glad the ledge is here, otherwise we'd have gone base jumping." She glanced at the ocean, which rolled a good forty-feet somewhere below them, obscured now by the smog. "Carson's going to be off-duty for a while, though. He might like that." Elizabeth smiled. "I'm relieved no one was hurt."

"Me, too," John whispered. Behind him, the two young marines were fast approaching, by the pace of their footsteps. Rodney was squawking in his ear now, too, wanting to be updated. He unclipped his P-90, and lay on the edge of the pier, extending his arms down. Elizabeth cast a concerned glance at Carson.

"Marines are on their way. We'll be able to get him up in a minute or so."

She thought about it for a moment, then grabbed his arms, allowing him to haul her up. As she clambered over the edge her pulled her fully into his arms, and for a moment, held tight.

Her grasp around him tightened, and her head found his shoulder. Her hair was sooty and smelled of smoke, but also salt air, seawater, shampoo--life.

The smoke was beginning to rise, the sea around them becoming ever so slightly clear. Elizabeth lifted her head as the marines neared them, and let him go to rise and greet them.

Both boys smiled with genuine pleasure, and one raised his hand in a sort of half-salute. "Doctor Weir. Hello, ma'am. Glad you're alright."

John's heartbeat was returning to normal, and his vision was clearing, though not all of the blurriness was due to the smoke. As he rose, he forced a cheeky grin onto his face. "Enough kissing up to the boss. Doctor Beckett's down on the ledge, we need to get him up and to the infirmary."

WOW - very cool! Had me on the edge of my seat.

John's heartbeat was returning to normal, and his vision was clearing, though not all of the blurriness was due to the smoke.

*huggles John* poor fella

These prompts have literally come to me as random thoughts flitting through my brain. I haven't had any preconceived ideas in mind when I've thrown them out there.

And every one you guys have taken and written something for has been an absolute home run. THANK YOU TO ALL!
              sigpic
              Signature by Erin87

Comment

Very good point. But I am sometimes too analytical for my own good. I think there is room for argument in all those cases if you don't want to see the Sparky or think it is just really good friendship. For example you could apply the same logic to the Rodney situation in Doppelganger and the Teyla situation in most of S4. Meaning that he was very emotional and concerned about both of them. And on the other hand he certainly looks plenty uncomfortable when Teyla hugs him also. But there is no explanation for John's agreeing to host Thalan in TLG. Or at least I've never heard one. And in Irresistible you can say he was concerned for the safety of the city. But I have also never bought into the claims that Elizabeth flirted shamelessly and was like a schoolgirl with a crush. That is just ludicrous.

John (Joe) always showed more emotion in his face than Elizabeth (Torri) did. So naturally it seemed that John was more invested in the relationship. But even that can be argued. Consider her in TLB or Misbegotten.

My point exactly.

This is something that should have been explored. Her little expression of embarrassment and sinking down in the bed at the end wasn't good enough.

And don't forget how he almost begged her to stay in TMC. It seemed like he was willing to accept her even as half human no matter the cost. Yet sometimes the writers seemed to be trying to say he was putting the city ahead of her. Anyway, more in the GITM discussion like you said.

And your fic was just shivery delicious.
                sigpic

Comment

Erin and Eri, I am loving the drabbles and poems! Gah, I'd join in the fun, but Big Bang, she calls to me!

'Deliciously perturbed.' I just love how you phrased that!

*snickers* He's a red-blooded male faced with a beautiful, smart, funny, brave woman who just happens to be his boss. He's totally smitten, discretion or no.

Oh, you and me both! Was he doing it just as a friend, so that it would be someone that she felt comfortable with, or did he do it out of a deeper desire for Elizabeth? Her head must've been spinning.

Very, very true. And there's not just the 'what if one of them wants to stay' question, but also that long, lingering look that John and FRANibeth share at the end. That was no ordinary 'goodbye' look. That was totally an 'I love you' look.

John (Joe) always showed more emotion in his face than Elizabeth (Torri) did. So naturally it seemed that John was more invested in the relationship. But even that can be argued. Consider her in TLB or Misbegotten.

<snip>

And don't forget how he almost begged her to stay in TMC. It seemed like he was willing to accept her even as half human no matter the cost. Yet sometimes the writers seemed to be trying to say he was putting the city ahead of her. Anyway, more in the GITM discussion like you said.
                  Also consider her in Coup d'Etat or Common Ground. She put the city ahead of him, and yet... the emotion in her voice, in her eyes, in her facial expression and overall body language clearly shows a great depth of emotion for him.
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Okay folks, as promised my Summer Nights prompt. Not really a drabble, it's a bit longer than that. But I hope you like it. Sparky snacks to whoever can name all the "Summer Night" songs that get referenced.

Spoiler:
                    “This is really a nice place,” Major Lorne commented to Lt. Col. John Sheppard.

“Yeah, nothing but sun and the ocean. This is one helluva beach,” Sheppard agreed.

“Hey, have you guys seen my sunscreen?” Rodney McKay asked his friends.

“Uh, no. Don’t you have some in your gear?” Lorne asked.

“I do. But it’s only SPF 15,” McKay searched his gear.

“Maybe SPF 1,000 should be standard issue,” John teased.

“Hey guys. I was talking with one of the townspeople, we’re invited to some feast on the beach. He said bring everybody you know,” Ronon joined the group.

“I better go radio Elizabeth,” John started for the gate.

A few hours later the sun had set on the beautiful beach they were visiting. Atlantis was in need of supplies, and the people on Agua Blanco were more than happy to make a deal. Some other members of the expedition came through the gate to join Sheppard, Lorne, Ronon and McKay.

“Rodney wasn’t lying; this really is a gorgeous place,” Jennifer Keller admired the white sands and blue ocean.

“It is very nice,” Elizabeth Weir concurred.

“The scenery is very lovely,” Teyla added her approval.

“All we need now is some beer and hot guys,” Lt. Cadman smiled at the thought.

The ladies made their way down the beach to join John and the others. They could smell the native food cooking and gear festive music. When they finally reached the source of the merriment, the girls were a little shocked and delighted all at once.

“Dr. Weir, ladies. The feast is about to start, follow me,” Major Lorne was dressed in a pair of shorts similar to the natives’ and nothing else.

“With pleasure,” Cadman smiled.

“Major Lorne, is everyone wearing similar clothing?” Teyla asked.

“All the guys pretty much. The women are all wearing bikini looking things,” Lorne replied.

“Great we’re in our uniforms,” Jennifer sighed.

“Don’t worry Dr. Keller, the locals took care of us. I’m sure they can help you all find something,” Lorne assured.

The girls and Major Lorne continued walking until they saw John, Rodney, and Ronon eating and talking with a group of Aguaians.

“Hey everyone, I’d like you to meet Dr. Jennifer Kellar, Teyla, Cadman, and Dr. Elizabeth Weir,” a shirtless John Sheppard introduced his old friends to new.

“Nice to...” Elizabeth tripped on what she thought was an Igloo cooler.

“Oh careful. We brought back a cooler to bring back this drink they make. And to mark our little piece of paradise,” John smiled.

“Here, I brought you all some to try,” a shirtless Ronon handed out some cocoanut-like cups to the girls.

“This tastes like... Beer!” Cadman shouted excitedly.

“It has a ‘distinct’ flavor,” Teyla’s face scrunched into a look of disapproval.

“I’ve had worse,” Jennifer shrugged.

“It’s interesting,” Elizabeth commented trying to avert her gaze at a shirtless John Sheppard.

The entire group dispersed and mingled with the Aguaians. Some of the native women found bathing suits for the girls and the guys played a game similar to rugby. After the food was consumed, the party picked up even more.

“Um, Jennifer. May I ask you a question,” Teyla’s tone became shy.

“Sure,” Jennifer replied.

“Is Earth culture similar to what’s going on over there,” Teyla motioned to a group of men and women dancing and drinking rather provocatively.

“It can be,” Jennifer answered.

“Come on Jen, nothing wrong with moral casualness now and then,” Cadman joked.

“I suggest we behave ourselves,” Elizabeth suggested.

“Hey, um, you want to join us?” Rodney approached the girls and invited them to join the boys and trying not ogle the ladies in their bathing suits.

“Sure Rodney,” Jennifer grinned at seeing the pale chest of a shirtless McKay.

The girls and Rodney went back to where the Igloo cooler was placed only to find John sitting by himself next to a little fire.

“John where is everyone else?” Elizabeth asked.

“A few girls came by and stole away Lorne and Ronon,” John shrugged.

“Well if it’s good enough for the boys,” Cadman grabbed Teyla and Jennifer and joined a group of Aguaian men. Rodney jogged to catch up seeing a group of girls too.

“John you look a little lonely,” Elizbaeth sat down next to John.

“Eh. I had my fill of beach parties. I figured I’d let Ronon and Lorne have some fun,” John took another drink of the Aguaian beer.

“I grew up in a small town. We weren’t near a beach, but we had bonfires,” Elizabeth explained.

“We all do a little something different on those hot summer nights. Hey you wanna go for a swim?” John swirled his drink around trying not stare at Elizabeth in a bikini.

“Sure. I haven’t been swimming in so long,” Elizabeth agreed.

“So Elizabeth, you haven’t been swimming and we live in the middle of an ocean,” John teased as they entered the water.

“With everything that goes on, I just don’t really get a chance,” Elizabeth answered as she began swimming.

“Hey now, take it easy. We ate a bunch and I don’t wanna have to carry you back to the beach because of cramp,” John swam to catch up to Elizabeth.

“You would love to pull a Danny Zuko and be a show off,” Elizabeth teased.

“Did you just make a Grease reference?” John questioned.

“You knew it was a Grease reference,” Elizabeth quipped back.

“Well, ya got me on that one,” John shrugged.

“So you do want to impress me?” Elizabeth raised her brow and continued teasing.

“Well, I thought I did that on a daily basis,” John grinned back.

“I don’t think this swim is helping. I can still feel the heat,” Elizabeth grinned.

“Wild and sweet,” John inched closer.

“You took the words right out of my mouth,” Elizabeth eyes became mischievous.

“It must have been while you were kissing me,” John moved into capture Elizabeth’s lips in his own.

ETA: I think Shep's a tough guy. And you know us tough guys are always the most sentimental. That's why he agreed to let another person take over his body to make Lizzie (he was under the impression Lizzie was cool with it) happy. Or... he just really wants Lizzie and this gave him an excuse. But honestly, could you really blame him if it was the latter?

Asking Lizzie to stay in whatever form is selfish indeed. I don't think asking a half human-half replicator (well she turned out to be all replicator in TMC, but John thought it was the real Lizzie) or an all replicator to stick around is putting the city above anything. I don't think and obvious security risk walking about is putting the city first. We know John goes against the military grain often, but breaking this one makes it patently obvious he's after what he wants. I leave GiTM at that. (Y'all already know how I feel about that episode.)
                    Last edited by pkprd869; 07 September 2009, 10:36 PM.
                    "I only understand about 1% of what she says half of the time."

Comment

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
                      Okay folks, as promised my Summer Nights prompt. Not really a drabble, it's a bit longer than that. But I hope you like it. Sparky snacks to whoever can name all the "Summer Night" songs that get referenced.

Spoiler:

“Yeah, nothing but sun and the ocean. This is one helluva beach,” Sheppard agreed.

“Hey guys. I was talking with one of the townspeople, we’re invited to some feast on the beach. He said bring everybody you know,” Ronon joined the group.

A few hours later the sun had set on the beautiful beach they were visiting. Atlantis was in need of supplies, and the people on Agua Blanco were more than happy to make a deal. Some other members of the expedition came through the gate to join Sheppard, Lorne, Ronon and McKay.

“Rodney wasn’t lying; this really is a gorgeous place,” Jennifer Keller admired the white sands and blue ocean.

The ladies made their way down the beach to join John and the others. They could smell the native food cooking and gear festive music. When they finally reached the source of the merriment, the girls were a little shocked and delighted all at once.

“Dr. Weir, ladies. The feast is about to start, follow me,” Major Lorne was dressed in a pair of shorts similar to the natives’ and nothing else.

“All the guys pretty much. The women are all wearing bikini looking things,” Lorne replied.

“Don’t worry Dr. Keller, the locals took care of us. I’m sure they can help you all find something,” Lorne assured.

The girls and Major Lorne continued walking until they saw John, Rodney, and Ronon eating and talking with a group of Aguaians.

“Hey everyone, I’d like you to meet Dr. Jennifer Kellar, Teyla, Cadman, and Dr. Elizabeth Weir,” a shirtless John Sheppard introduced his old friends to new.

“Oh careful. We brought back a cooler to bring back this drink they make. And to mark our little piece of paradise,” John smiled.

“Here, I brought you all some to try,” a shirtless Ronon handed out some cocoanut-like cups to the girls.

“It has a ‘distinct’ flavor,” Teyla’s face scrunched into a look of disapproval.

“It’s interesting,” Elizabeth commented trying to avert her gaze at a shirtless John Sheppard.

The entire group dispersed and mingled with the Aguaians. Some of the native women found bathing suits for the girls and the guys played a game similar to rugby. After the food was consumed, the party picked up even more.

“Is Earth culture similar to what’s going on over there,” Teyla motioned to a group of men and women dancing and drinking rather provocatively.

“Hey, um, you want to join us?” Rodney approached the girls and invited them to join the boys and trying not ogle the ladies in their bathing suits.

The girls and Rodney went back to where the Igloo cooler was placed only to find John sitting by himself next to a little fire.

“Well if it’s good enough for the boys,” Cadman grabbed Teyla and Jennifer and joined a group of Aguaian men. Rodney jogged to catch up seeing a group of girls too.

“Eh. I had my fill of beach parties. I figured I’d let Ronon and Lorne have some fun,” John took another drink of the Aguaian beer.

“I grew up in a small town. We weren’t near a beach, but we had bonfires,” Elizabeth explained.

“We all do a little something different on those hot summer nights. Hey you wanna go for a swim?” John swirled his drink around trying not stare at Elizabeth in a bikini.

“So Elizabeth, you haven’t been swimming and we live in the middle of an ocean,” John teased as they entered the water.

“With everything that goes on, I just don’t really get a chance,” Elizabeth answered as she began swimming.

“Hey now, take it easy. We ate a bunch and I don’t wanna have to carry you back to the beach because of cramp,” John swam to catch up to Elizabeth.

“So you do want to impress me?” Elizabeth raised her brow and continued teasing.

“I don’t think this swim is helping. I can still feel the heat,” Elizabeth grinned.

“It must have been while you were kissing me,” John moved into capture Elizabeth’s lips in his own.

ETA: I think Shep's a tough guy. And you know us tough guys are always the most sentimental. That's why he agreed to let another person take over his body to make Lizzie (he was under the impression Lizzie was cool with it) happy. Or... he just really wants Lizzie and this gave him an excuse. But honestly, could you really blame him if it was the latter?

Asking Lizzie to stay in whatever form is selfish indeed. I don't think asking a half human-half replicator (well she turned out to be all replicator in TMC, but John thought it was the real Lizzie) or an all replicator to stick around is putting the city above anything. I don't think and obvious security risk walking about is putting the city first. We know John goes against the military grain often, but breaking this one makes it patently obvious he's after what he wants. I leave GiTM at that. (Y'all already know how I feel about that episode.)
                      That was really some hot beach party you had going there. It's funny that they were surrounded by ocean all those years and we never saw them swim. Or surf.
                      sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

*fans self* And you ended it THERE? Whew..... Great story by the way! Did I see a slight reference in there to Rascall Flats by chance?

That was really some hot beach party you had going there. It's funny that they were surrounded by ocean all those years and we never saw them swim. Or surf.
                        True that.
                        sigpic
                        Signature by Erin87

Comment

Great stories, Erin and Pkprd.

I'm working on my report on TLG. I have already 2 pages and I'm only watch 9 min of the episode. At the end, I will have 6 pages.lol
                          sigpic
                          Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                            Great stories, Erin and Pkprd.

I'm working on my report on TLG. I have already 2 pages and I'm only watch 9 min of the episode. At the end, I will have 6 pages.lol
                            Yay, looking forward to reading it later.
                            sigpic

Comment

Yay, looking forward to reading it later.
                              Later..later...later.lol

I don't know if I will finish this one day. 15min of the episode and 3 pages. I need to cut some moments or I will write a book about this episode.lol
                              sigpic
                              Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Very good point. But I am sometimes too analytical for my own good. I think there is room for argument in all those cases if you don't want to see the Sparky or think it is just really good friendship. For example you could apply the same logic to the Rodney situation in Doppelganger and the Teyla situation in most of S4. Meaning that he was very emotional and concerned about both of them. And on the other hand he certainly looks plenty uncomfortable when Teyla hugs him also. But there is no explanation for John's agreeing to host Thalan in TLG. Or at least I've never heard one. And in Irresistible you can say he was concerned for the safety of the city. But I have also never bought into the claims that Elizabeth flirted shamelessly and was like a schoolgirl with a crush. That is just ludicrous.

My point exactly.

This is something that should have been explored. Her little expression of embarrassment and sinking down in the bed at the end wasn't good enough.

And your fic was just shivery delicious.
                                Thank you!

I agree with you and am also far too balanced for my own good (hence why I would have failed at being a lawyer). I see both the platonic and non-platonic implications of all the Sparky moments, save for a few--the best stuff IMO, of course, following Adrift, which we'll get to later.

But I can see the side of people arguing it's just a strong platonic connection, though if you're sensible you at least acknowledge they were close (yes, he's self-sacrificial for everyone, including Rodney and Teyla, but he does do some unique things for Elizabeth--birthday gifts, allowing his body to be used for husband-inhabiting as you pointed out, murderous rampages when he thinks she's dead, that sort of thing...)

I'm also one of those types of people who accepts arguments for other ships, too, so I don't knock being analytical. I just prefer Sparky over pretty much anything else. It was the most tangible ship for me.

Again, we'll get into the evolution of the 'Atlantis vs. Elizabeth' debate when we start with Adrift (probably tomorrow for that recap) but I think it can be pretty easily meshed together. John and Elizabeth both have the same mindset about each other and the city. In each case, John seems to be doing what Elizabeth wants. In Adrift, he has to 'guess', but he's right. In TMC, he wants her to stay until she tells him she doesn't want to, because she'd feel as though he regarded her as only 'half' Elizabeth. And in GITM, he begs to allow her to stay until she decides that the safest option is for her to leave. In each case, he accepts and bends to her desire to protect the city above personal interests. Obviously, he's not happy about it, but he knows Elizabeth far too well--she'd never want him to selfishly risk the city for his own personal desires, and he wouldn't want to be that kind of man in her eyes.

And it's a two-way street, of course--he saw her doing the exact same thing in Coup d'etat and Common Ground, and wholeheartedly approved her decisions, even ordering her to make that call at one point.

It's just John and Elizabeth and the way they are.

Spoiler:

Smokin' fic!

And yes, good point, too, about John. He tries to be sensible about things, but he certainly doesn't take Ronon's attitude. There always seems to be a part of him that is hoping beyond hope that this version of Elizabeth is real, though he's careful about guarding his feelings. One of the things I loved most about Joe F's performance in the S4/S5 Lizzie episodes.
                                Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Working...
                                X